Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Serpentbreath
Msg: 112
Black metal... Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Yes, a long thread indeed...I probably could (& perhaps should) have gone a little longer with my rant. Master's Hammer was a great band, although I never really got into their last album (the experimental one). Tormentor, if I'm not mistaken, was from Hungary. I never had any of their stuff, but I always dug Attila's vocals. Blasphemy was an important band, not just for the North American scene. Their style was a tad similar to Beherit, whom I liked a little more. "Fallen Angel of Doom" was a classic, though. Canada has certainly produced some great metal bands, in general. Though I never really got into Absu, I got the sense that there was a little more depth going on thematically in their stuff...fantastic drumming too. Nothing wrong with Norse BM, I just hate the way that the media romanticized it into a pop-culture phenomena. With that kind of media influence, it's no wonder that glammed-out bands like Dimmu Borgir are now more recognized than the bands that actually shaped the sound (old Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum). Although not the most original band, I like Satanic Warmaster (as far as newer Scandinavian bands go), a pretty decent attempt at the classic formula...
 Serpentbreath
Msg: 113
Black metal...
Posted: 11/13/2009 6:36:18 PM
I Shalt Become is quite enjoyable, considering that the songs/imagery/lyrics almost border on plagiarism. I really enjoy Bilskirnir as well, although some individuals might not be too keen on the ideological leanings.
I would also include Demoncy in the Blasphemy/Beherit/Profanatica...camp. The old demos, as well as the "Joined in Darkness" lp, were some of the heaviest-darkest-most minimalistic BM recordings that ever came out of the states. Once they became a full "live" band, they kinda lost their edge.
I just listened to the new Beherit album. It's actually quite good...just as dirty sounding as ever, a tad slower though. Most of these come-back attempts are quite disappointing....
 sean_musta_kaipuu
Msg: 114
Black metal...
Posted: 12/17/2009 10:09:56 PM
Here's my favorites;

Darkthrone
Horna
Beherit
Sarcofago
Blasphemy
Old Katatonia (Their first two releases are kinda black-ish)
Samael (I like their techno stuff as well)
Arckanum
Unlord
Sargeist
Mystifier
Masters Hammer
Krieg
Twilight
Lurker of Chalice
Archgoat
Obscurus Advocam
Drudkh
Necrovore
Heresi(Swe)

Yeah there's still a lot out there.
 daisysmydog
Msg: 115
Black metal...
Posted: 12/19/2009 7:33:32 AM
I am shocked there is a black metal thread here.
 Chadillac223
Msg: 116
Black metal...
Posted: 12/20/2009 1:17:39 PM
BM is certainly not dead, and I don't think it will ever be. You just don't really see a lot of BM bands because it's not as popular as other metal styles such as death metal. There are many BM bands popping up all over the world, they just don't get the attention and recognition they deserve. Mainly because they don't have the resources to expose the world or other countries of their work. One good BM band from Canada is Gotherfall. Last I saw they are not a band together anymore, but they still have good music from when they were a band. One BM band I love, and you should check them out, is Chthonic. I haven't seen anybody mention them. They are from Taiwan. Check out their MySpace and they have a wicked music video at the top of their page.
 BlackMetalGoddess
Msg: 117
Black metal...
Posted: 12/21/2009 7:25:31 AM
Chthonic is amazing. I saw them live with Satyricon. And why would anyone be "surprised" that there is a BM thread on this site? BM is not dead by any means. I'm not going to go on listing a bunch of bands, you can visit my profile to see that. The one thing that does irritate me about BM is the sub-genres of it. Why do ppl have to sub-class within a genre? It's all BM to me, whether it be DSBM, NSBM, Symphonic, etc. Although the music of NSBM is quite good, I can't agree with it's main principles, which I think are mainly a gimmick anyways.
 shantizzlerose
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Black metal...
Posted: 7/10/2010 5:54:28 PM
A music scene can't be dead if there are still bands out there pursuing it. And, obviously, there are A LOT of legit black metal bands today.
 MusicFanGeek
Msg: 119
Black metal...
Posted: 7/16/2010 11:52:41 PM
Death metal anyone? :)
 theseus82
Msg: 120
Black metal...
Posted: 7/24/2010 4:35:04 PM
The pure black metal you're referring to was more the product of the Scandinavian countries. It's the sort of music that can't easily be imitated in the States because we don't have the same sort of socio-political/religious dynamic that, say, Norway did (does)?
Honestly, I was never a big fan of the stuff, though there were a few Burzum and Darkthrone tunes and some of the like that I got into. In my teens I was into Cradle of Filth before I realized that it was all formulaic, and sucky at that.
I don't listen to it all anymore, partly for ideological reasons, and partly because I grew out of the angry white boy phase.
Music always goes through mutations, but honestly, I don't really see black metal in its original form coming back in a big way, at least in the U.S. It just didn't have the same fan base as say, doom metal, at least not that I'm aware of. American black metal has never sounded like Scandinavian black metal. I think you have to be brought up a certain way to make music that both blisters your ears and gives your soul frostbite.

One of the most interesting works of nonfiction I've ever read was Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground. There are stories there that all black metal fans know; the ironic demise of Dead, and such. But I derive my opinion partly based on what I conceive the original driving force of early black metal to be, which was partly political.
 broughtonman
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Black metal...
Posted: 6/28/2011 1:43:45 AM
Recently I've enjoyed some of the more ambient black metal stuff like the Tiurada album by Falkenbach and Epoch by Fen.
I think that Enslaved are producing consisently engrossing and inspiring work, whilst Satyricon have put on 2 of the most inspiring live performances I've been fortunate enough to witness of the last 5 years, I'll leave it to purists to decide whether or not they still really count as BM, but I know that I thoroughly enjoyed what I saw.
Last years album by Winterfylleth really impressed me.
Finally over the forthcoming weeks I'm anticipating great things from Watain at Sonisphere followed by Triptykon, Immortal and 1349 at Bloodstock.
 WARLOCK76
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Black metal...
Posted: 6/28/2011 9:19:10 AM
I will listen to a Black Metal band no matter what Country they are from, well just about,
some Bands I like are, Khold, Graveland, Bathory(early), Bestial Warlust, Lord Belial,
Sadistik Exekution, Portal, Hellsaw, Enslaved(early), Sigh(early), Absu, Black Dawn,
um tomany to list lol.
 AlreadyTakenBootboy
Msg: 123
Black metal...
Posted: 6/30/2011 9:38:41 PM
as far as black metal goes,I stay away from " satanic" black metal.... and listen to christian black metal. yes I said it! christian black metal. horde, antestor, vardoger, arch of thorns, crimson moonlight, ETC. forget all of those satanic bands.. they may have played a big part in forming black metal. as far as music.... as far as ideas of what they believe of christianity.... they have it all wrong.... the scene is very is still alive with christian black metal....
 worldtraveller74
Msg: 124
Black metal...
Posted: 7/9/2011 7:07:12 PM
The early pre second wave 90s stuff was great, the 90s stuff was fun too but I'm glad the likes of Satyricon and Darkthrone are bringing it back to the first wave sound.
 rkctr
Msg: 125
Black metal...
Posted: 7/16/2011 9:20:40 AM
i gotta say i like some of the black metal out there. dimmu,immortal..lesser known stuff as well. but costumes and hocus pokus is just too spinal tap. classically influenced metal the like of rhapsody of fire,therion,leaves eyes,etc are awesome.anyway keep metal alive my fellow metal heads.thats my 40 yr old opinion.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >