Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Black metal...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shantizzlerose
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Black metal... Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
A music scene can't be dead if there are still bands out there pursuing it. And, obviously, there are A LOT of legit black metal bands today.
 MusicFanGeek
Msg: 127
Black metal...
Posted: 7/16/2010 11:52:41 PM
Death metal anyone? :)
 Unpositive
Msg: 128
Black metal...
Posted: 7/24/2010 3:39:32 PM
If we're going to segue into death metal territory we should mention Behemoth, a band that bridge the two genres in a way that few others have managed.

Deathspell Omega; Frontier; Blut Aus Nord; Winterfylleth; Leviathan; Old Blood; Be Persecuted and possibly NDE are the sacrifices I'd lay before the satanik altar ov Goat.

Leviathan's 'Massive Conspiracy Against All Life' and Deathspell's 'Kenose' represent the high point of modern black metal. Let no mortal contest.... er... yea.

Everything has already been said about the spirit of it all and the mythology. What's really important about that doesn't need to be said.
 theseus82
Msg: 129
Black metal...
Posted: 7/24/2010 4:35:04 PM
The pure black metal you're referring to was more the product of the Scandinavian countries. It's the sort of music that can't easily be imitated in the States because we don't have the same sort of socio-political/religious dynamic that, say, Norway did (does)?
Honestly, I was never a big fan of the stuff, though there were a few Burzum and Darkthrone tunes and some of the like that I got into. In my teens I was into Cradle of Filth before I realized that it was all formulaic, and sucky at that.
I don't listen to it all anymore, partly for ideological reasons, and partly because I grew out of the angry white boy phase.
Music always goes through mutations, but honestly, I don't really see black metal in its original form coming back in a big way, at least in the U.S. It just didn't have the same fan base as say, doom metal, at least not that I'm aware of. American black metal has never sounded like Scandinavian black metal. I think you have to be brought up a certain way to make music that both blisters your ears and gives your soul frostbite.

One of the most interesting works of nonfiction I've ever read was Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground. There are stories there that all black metal fans know; the ironic demise of Dead, and such. But I derive my opinion partly based on what I conceive the original driving force of early black metal to be, which was partly political.
 perdurabo76
Msg: 130
Black metal...
Posted: 6/26/2011 5:55:52 AM
I feel really nostalgic when someone mentions Black Metal as it played a major part in my early life. I was there at its birth when Varg and Euronymous had their clash, when Burzum created such a fantastic and controversial music, DarkThrone were amazing too and Emperor mindblowing. Then I believe things started to deteriorate and I think it did lose the appeal that could reach in the early days. Now it's another part of the mainstream music scene I don't see much difference.
 broughtonman
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Black metal...
Posted: 6/28/2011 1:43:45 AM
Recently I've enjoyed some of the more ambient black metal stuff like the Tiurada album by Falkenbach and Epoch by Fen.
I think that Enslaved are producing consisently engrossing and inspiring work, whilst Satyricon have put on 2 of the most inspiring live performances I've been fortunate enough to witness of the last 5 years, I'll leave it to purists to decide whether or not they still really count as BM, but I know that I thoroughly enjoyed what I saw.
Last years album by Winterfylleth really impressed me.
Finally over the forthcoming weeks I'm anticipating great things from Watain at Sonisphere followed by Triptykon, Immortal and 1349 at Bloodstock.
 perdurabo76
Msg: 132
Black metal...
Posted: 6/28/2011 2:41:44 AM
Maybe I am one of the nostalgics but I do think early Enslaved were much more interesting musically and thematically. This is my opinion of course but the enticing atmosphere those Norwegian bands were able to construct are very rare these days.
 WARLOCK76
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Black metal...
Posted: 6/28/2011 9:19:10 AM
I will listen to a Black Metal band no matter what Country they are from, well just about,
some Bands I like are, Khold, Graveland, Bathory(early), Bestial Warlust, Lord Belial,
Sadistik Exekution, Portal, Hellsaw, Enslaved(early), Sigh(early), Absu, Black Dawn,
um tomany to list lol.
 AlreadyTakenBootboy
Msg: 134
Black metal...
Posted: 6/30/2011 9:38:41 PM
as far as black metal goes,I stay away from " satanic" black metal.... and listen to christian black metal. yes I said it! christian black metal. horde, antestor, vardoger, arch of thorns, crimson moonlight, ETC. forget all of those satanic bands.. they may have played a big part in forming black metal. as far as music.... as far as ideas of what they believe of christianity.... they have it all wrong.... the scene is very is still alive with christian black metal....
 worldtraveller74
Msg: 135
Black metal...
Posted: 7/9/2011 7:07:12 PM
The early pre second wave 90s stuff was great, the 90s stuff was fun too but I'm glad the likes of Satyricon and Darkthrone are bringing it back to the first wave sound.
 rkctr
Msg: 136
Black metal...
Posted: 7/16/2011 9:20:40 AM
i gotta say i like some of the black metal out there. dimmu,immortal..lesser known stuff as well. but costumes and hocus pokus is just too spinal tap. classically influenced metal the like of rhapsody of fire,therion,leaves eyes,etc are awesome.anyway keep metal alive my fellow metal heads.thats my 40 yr old opinion.
 perdurabo76
Msg: 137
Black metal...
Posted: 9/24/2011 5:43:15 AM
I would recommend some bands that can still release worthy albums like Negura Bunget and Wolves in the Throne Room. I don't follow the scene as much as I used to as it seems to be quite restrictive and too orthodox as I enjoy venturing out of a ghetto to explore another whilst retaining my free spirit.
 mucius_scaevola
Msg: 138
Black metal...
Posted: 7/22/2013 8:24:40 AM
So what do you think of the post-prison Burzum albums?

I have immersed myself in his latest efforts and it's been a true delight. Very evocative and spiritual.
 Kodanshi
Msg: 139
Black metal...
Posted: 9/21/2013 1:53:51 PM
I liked Belus, but I’ve not really checked out much of his releases after that.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Black metal...