Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DebiDuzDishes
Msg: 255
Women that wear too much makeup at our age....Page 4 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
nothing wrong with makeup.. gotta be careful not to wear the wrong kind tho

powders and thick makeup accentuate the wrinkles..

I never wear makeup to work.. but i like some when im out.
 CompuG8r
Msg: 256
Women that wear too much makeup at our age....
Posted: 3/7/2011 6:24:22 AM
OP No, the Tammy Faye Baker look doesn't do it for all of us. Makeup tastefully done is nice but too much makeup has always been a bit strange to me. I wonder, what's she hiding? It's a personal choice, but I prefer the toned down look.
 CompuG8r
Msg: 257
Posted: 3/7/2011 6:38:36 AM

EVERYTHING about it pissed me the hell off. i eventually went rogue and started wearing jeans to the office.

I just wanted say that I really like your writing Motown. Damn the "office hitlers!"
 ICtheLite
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2011 9:45:54 AM
Of the women I've dated some seem to be a tad pushy on asking personal questions early on. The big one is, "why did you divorce"...on a first meet... To me that's just a bit early to be asking something that personal. While I have nothing to hide it's a real turn off and there is never a second date.

I assume the woman is attempting to eliminate problematic guys before anything ever starts but to me it is saying, "I've been burned in the past and my wall is up". Is this type of questioning normal for women? Do women find men doing the same thing?

I would say 50% of the men I've met ask this. I rarely do unless conversation goes in that direction. Either way, I do not find it offensive, I just take as part of the 'getting to know you' process. I'm only offended if someone asks "panties or thong?" on a first meet, lol.

Op - Like others, I really don't tend to notice how much make-up other women wear unless it resembles spackling compound, but to each their own.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 259
Posted: 3/7/2011 9:53:20 AM
OP No, the Tammy Faye Baker look doesn't do it for all of us

^^^IMO; it only did "it" for Jim! and possibly the make-up industries, as she kept them in business.........

Anything over done is a bit much. When in doubt; less is best!
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 262
Posted: 3/13/2011 5:29:54 PM
Many years ago (late 60's), I would look down from my hairy ivory tower at women who felt it necessary to "measure up" to the beauty standards of western culture.

Ultimately, I realized that real liberation includes the freedom to DO or DON'T.
It's a personal choice, like a beard or hairy legs. Why should anyone waste their time judging it unless they are a paid image consultant? Who cares?

P.S. I like to put lipstick lips on my ass!
 karma1160
Msg: 263
Posted: 3/15/2011 8:19:00 PM
I do wear some make up as I have a reddish tint to my hair so my face can be kind of rosy around the cheek area. I like to have it look smooth.
I have really toned down the amount of mascara I wear though I think it can age a person if there is too much.
I do however love lip stick yes I know it's terrible for some, but it is my thing.
I won't tell you how to dress and you don't tell me and all will be well in the universe.
 ohenryx
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2011 10:56:23 AM

I'm only offended if someone asks "panties or thong?" on a first meet

Well, normally I wouldn't ask, but seeing as you brought it up?

Inquiring minds want to know!!
 notsettling3
Msg: 265
Posted: 3/17/2011 6:40:20 PM
I am 60 and feel that a little bit of make-up discreetly applied can enhance any woman's appearance. The problem is that most women do not know how to discreetly apply make-up. Knowing how is an art just like anything else. And like one old gentleman use to say, "Any old barn looks better with a coat of paint."
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 266
Posted: 3/18/2011 2:24:35 PM
This is sad.
Im 18 years old in vegas, and so bored that im reading a forum for lonely, desperate old people.

I don't know what is worse ... us regular forumites entertaining ourselves on here or an attractive 18 yr old girl in Vegas who is so bored she comes here to complain about it. Try smiling you even look bored in your photo's.

People who frequently complain about being bored are often just bored with themselves IMO. If you don't find your own life interesting chances are other people won't either.
 tangayika
Msg: 267
Posted: 3/19/2011 1:20:10 PM
In answer to your question do I wear makeup.....no, never thought about cross dressing nor fan of David Bowie. I don't mind a little bit of makeup on ladies, but please not too much or you run the risk of looking like a clown. I don't mind seeing wrinkles on your face at all.
 amethyst10616
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:06:41 PM
There is nothing wrong with wanting to look and feel your best every day. I personally prefer to have the polished look that a little make-up gives my face. I know very few women who do not wear some and who take good care of their skin. I wear my high-heels because I love them. I have no delusions that I am any more of a woman one way or the other:):modhammer:
 amethyst10616
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2011 7:16:28 AM
Tammy Faye, may God rest her soul, is such an extreme example, much like Joan Rivers is for extreme plastic surgery. I do think the whole trend to make your lips bigger is one of the worst to come along, but if it makes someone else feel better, then who am I to judge?

What I think is really sad here, is the whole idea that if someone makes a different choice than we do, then somehow, we are superior to them. It is no big deal to me as a woman who wears make-up, dresses up everyday, wears her high heels, and delights in all of the lovely ways that we get to express ourselves as a woman, if someone should not make the same choices as me. I love to create clothes and therefore, have many. It does not make me shallow or trying to be someone whom I am not, just creative and resourceful.

I very seldom see anyone wear too much make-up. Less is more has long been the way things are done. Blue eye-shadow went out years ago and few wear it now. If they do, so what? I wear natural colors and apply it with a light hand. I take meticulous care of my skin, and take care to wear flattering colors. I think that a little polish can make us look refreshed and younger.

Women who choose to take care of themselves in a different way than the OP are not trying to deceive anyone, just enhance their appearance because they feel better by doing so.

The make-up and fashion industries generate billions each year in the American market. More people are buying and are repeat customers than the OP can apparently imagine. I do think there are women who are derisive about other women who take more time to enhance their appearance than they do. Myself, I think we need to be generous with one another and be as accepting of different choices as we are of any other reason that someone may look different than we do.
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 270
Posted: 3/28/2011 8:20:41 PM

If you feel you look better it bolsters the confidence which is a good thing for any woman be it make up, heels, shirt or sexy dress.

I don't judge or condemn anyone, but I do think that too many women do not see themselves as beautiful just as they are. I didn't, but in my 20s I decided to do something about that. It took a long time, but I came to love my looks without any make-up, and it has been such a liberating experience. I just wish more women could find the same joy and beauty in themselves.
 amethyst10616
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2011 8:36:45 PM
Maybe they do feel beautiful inside, I know that I do. I like the polish that a little make-up and a pretty outfit gives to my outside. It is not a lack of self-worth that drives women to want to feel their best. To each her own:) It is just so huge not to judge women who make different choices than we do and to make assumptions about why they do.

Lord knows, many of us have had the wind knocked out of our sails on more than one occasion. Looking our best does bolster self-confidence and that is always a good thing, IMO.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 273
Posted: 4/14/2011 10:08:54 AM
Somewhere in time (not sure when it was) I decided I could
pretty much do whatever I wanted to do as long as I didn't do
any harm or injustice to anyone else.

I figure everyone should be like that. If someone wants to go out
with their face painted like a clown on a junket, why should it bother
me? Likewise if someone else wants to go out looking like death warmed
over...again...doesn't bother me.

With that said, I like wearing some make up. Not everyone has the perfect
skin or brilliant eyes that don't need a tad of enhancement. I worry less
about what others are doing and more about what I'm doing, and I try to
avoid judging others for their choices.
 smittin
Msg: 274
Posted: 4/14/2011 2:59:55 PM
Without makeup my face looks like a white paper plate with two blue dots for eyes and a line for a mouth. No eyelashes to speak of and my lips are about the same color as the rest of my face. Boohoo! That said, though, I don't wear makeup much anymore, though I used to wear it daily.

I like to wear makeup when I go out, which is not very often. But when I do, I like to do the whole 9 yards. It's fun to get all tarted up.
I love the makeup aisle in the drugstore. I want to buy one of everything. It's like a box of 64 Crayola crayons. Endless possibilities. Even if I do only wear the same boring things all the time.

I feel a bit sorry for the OP and people like her. Their problem can't be fixed with a little concealer and lipstick.

Carry on, fellow painters. Like my brother the contractor says, "Putty and paint make us what we ain't......"
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 276
Posted: 4/16/2011 4:11:05 PM
^^^^ I have to say I was dissapointed to not see a picture of you looking hot in your skinny jeans and t-shirt in your profile I took your post as an invitation to have a peek
 amethyst10616
Msg: 278
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2011 3:51:13 PM
Thank you, Chesirecatalyst! I use Great Lash mascara and have since I was 15. I bought the sonic brush to cleanse my face with at night and it does a wonderful job. I thoroughly love being a woman. Make-up, perfume, heels, and all of the rest of it.

I like a man who is well-groomed as well, not overdone, but clean nails, groomed facial hair, and pressed clothes.

To each his own:)
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 279
Posted: 4/20/2011 7:36:38 PM
I cleanse with Cetaphil and use Eucerin with 5% Urea as a moisturizer. I love them both. Never have I used soap on my face.

Make-up: Just enough to compliment my best features.

Of course, too, genetics do play a great role.
 ALMOSTABLONDE
Msg: 280
Posted: 4/21/2011 3:26:48 AM
I fall asleep every nite w/ makeup on, I use some panstick in lieu of foundation, & favor lancome, estee lauder & clinique altho I use el-cheapo E.L.F. eyeliner...i figure that my skin is protected, like the mud-people of South America

I do not like the caked on look, but some people do just the same as some like the barefaced look.

To each his own
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 281
Posted: 4/21/2011 8:35:25 PM
You can call it smugness, ignorance, and egotism. I call it the experience of a long life, having seen too many women--of all ages--who feel they "need" enhancement. I've walked in those shoes; have you walked in mine?
 daffie
Msg: 282
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2011 3:27:00 AM
^^^^i walk in lots of different shoes...and boots.

i also love wearing makeup, fashionable clothes and flattering accessories.
you may call this enhancement, i call it making the most of my appearance...and being very happy to do so.

fear not...
there is no lack of self esteem driving me to "complement" my appearance...as a matter of fact i love myself dearly.

go ahead and ask me!...
 browneyesboo
Msg: 283
Posted: 4/22/2011 8:34:05 AM
Well this has gotten weird.
Suddenly it's us against them...jaysus tap dancin kerist.

If you don't want to wear make up...don't. Who cares?
While there are the extremes who wear wayyyyyyyy too
much make up (think tammy whatshername)...again...other
than say...wowzers...who the freak cares?

Nothing wrong with enhancing your features with a little make up
if it makes YOU feel good. Doesn't mean you're pretending to be
someone else. I suppose singing a happy tune off key in the shower
makes you someone pretending to be a rock star?

Not hiring someone who is wearing make up?
now who's the ahole?

ahahahahahahaha!
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 284
Posted: 4/22/2011 9:37:41 AM
Not trusting women who were makeup seems a little extreme to me but I am sure if a man were to walk into an interview wearing jewelry and makeup he may have a hard time being taken at face value.

With men commonly wearing earings and dying or streaking thier hair I am wondering if it will soon be common to see men wearing make up as well. Would most women make a negative judgement against a man who showed up wearing make up to a first date if he felt he was just trying to improve his appearance. After all women do go gaga over movies stars and they are usually made up when they are being filmed.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >