Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 browneyesboo
Msg: 369
Women that wear too much makeup at our age....Page 5 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
There's a difference between sun worshippers and people who just
get tanned from being outside.
I don't sit in the sun, I wear some protection, but I like having color in
my face and I like tan lines. I get tanned by being outside. Haven't been
to the beach in forever.

I'm coming up on 60. Have had a tan in the sunny times of the year every
year since I can remember. I don't have leather skin, wrinkles and I don't
think I look older than my age.

Another example where people use the worst case scenario to judge everyone
else by.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 370
view profile
History
Women that wear too much makeup at our age....
Posted: 10/20/2011 6:34:33 PM

Women that wear too much makeup at our age look like drag queens.

Jeebus? Wondering if I look like a drag queen?

Makeup makes me feel good. If I feel good then I am more positive in my day to day living, transacting with others. Just like wearing fine lingerie under my clothes...if others don't care for it, I really can't be bothered cuz it works for me and that is all that counts!
 DrummingNut
Msg: 373
Posted: 10/21/2011 8:36:05 AM
^^ I had a makeover once. It made me look much older than I do in my natural state! (which is how I ALWAYS am)
I mailed a photo of it to some people that know me and they freaked out negatively... and I quite agreed with them.

I think if such a knock came on my door I'd have to say no thanks.. other than I'd love to get some more clothes, but in my style thank you very much.
Now if it included a month at a "we'll get that weight off you" farm.. hehe, I'd say yes to THAT part.
 pretzelman60
Msg: 375
Posted: 10/25/2011 1:38:16 PM
Yup. When the barn needs painting.. RubyWaxxx

If your response was meant as a jab or put down, sorry! You lose. I added that to my remarks to show that even I have "to paint the barn" sometimes. My point was that when the barn needs to be painted, paint it. Both men and women. Many people put men down for dying their hair, but I choose to do it because THIS barn needs to be painted from time to time.

Again, Rubywaxx, you missed the point of my post. Have a great day!

JMO
 Deadflower
Msg: 376
Posted: 10/29/2011 10:19:12 PM
I am more like your sister but I would love to have you as a friend. I could care less how other women choose to look when leaving the house. It really bugs me when women think that they have a right to tell other women how to dress and how much make-up to wear. Leave the house feeling comfortable with what you see in the mirror and you will look and act more confident. Confidence attracts people to you more than any one specific look.
 Deadflower
Msg: 377
Posted: 10/29/2011 10:22:48 PM
My comment is a response to libracat's post. I liked her post very much.
 FunSummerSizzle
Msg: 378
Posted: 10/30/2011 4:56:37 PM
Do what pleases you. Not a single person on here has the right to judge what is right for another. If you don't like make up, don't wear it but don't make fun of Women who do.

There's someone for everyone and different people are attracted to different types. Some guys like there Women natural, some like them dolled up and even Jim Baker had a type. Tammy.
 pretzelman60
Msg: 379
Posted: 10/30/2011 7:13:34 PM
^^^^^^^^^and secretaries! I did notice that his "other woman" didn't wear an extensive amout of make-up.

JMO
 sexyisback!
Msg: 381
Posted: 11/3/2011 12:34:27 PM

I know many people who have been married 30-40-50 years and who have not had sex outside marriage and who have had very fulfilling personal lives and families.

not sure he was satisfied with that "type"-- he may have felt it was a mistake..else why caught "ministering" to prostitutes in motel rooms so often?

yes wear lots of makeup & bling, to rise into the"light" because as we all know "God" is most concerned with how your face looks and the amount of BLING you wear -more bling = higher position at the seat of God

guess all those poor starving Africans with zero bling might not even get in - St. Peter: "no bling, no admission".. poor stupid losers, waster $ on food when they could maybe get makeup & bling?
 ladyc4
Msg: 385
Posted: 11/17/2011 9:48:16 AM
So is it OK if we wear too much make-up at SOMEBODY ELSE'S age? What age would that be?
At OUR AGE, I think we all should be able to wear, do, think, act whatever it suits us to do, provided that there are no important laws of God, man, gravity or physics are being violated. Those that don't agree with our choices can choose to not look at us.
It ain't rocket surgery, nor is it brain science.

Oddly enough, just a couple of days ago, myself and several of my fellow volunteers( (mostly females older than myself were the parties to the discussion)-were talking about Dancing with the Stars, the Kardashians, and somehow got onto the subject of Bruce Jenner( the Kardashian Kids stepdad). We all remember Bruce Jenner in his Olympic star athlete days, we all agreed that he certainly has had some significant "work" done to his face( how in the HELL did they manage to lift it THAT HIGH-lol!) and we all agreed he looks AWFUL.
But if he and the Missus like it, we are more than happy for him.
Cindy
 Moonchild51
Msg: 386
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2011 10:05:48 AM
Exactly Lady! At our age, we should be allowed to do whatever pleases us as far as makeup, hair color, fashion, heels or flats! lol....Personally, I do what makes ME happy. I wasn't put here to please everyone other than myself. Who really does it hurt, other than the OP I guess!
 Giggles10000
Msg: 387
Posted: 11/17/2011 1:01:07 PM
^^ I agree Moonie,

Real scary is seeing something like this

sapphireeyes on 6/4/2009 515 PM "

Subject: Women that wear too much makeup at our age....
HI sapphireeyes,

Thank you for your non judgemental words taken from your post below, I to wonder why people focus on what others are doing and not just worrying about their own person.

""""I just dont get where some think they are better than others cause they have a preference for something...wearing makeup or not...do what makes you happy and spend the time you would downing others to make yourself better. """"""

I will follow your advise and do what makes me happy and leave all the judges to their own business, what makes them think they are right?

And realize someone is quoting you from 2009 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gosh I miss that name!
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 390
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2011 7:09:49 AM

The truth is after a certain age if we were to go totally au naturel no man would look at us

Not true at all. When I see a woman who clearly puts a lot of time into her appearance that makes her LESS appealing to me. As I probably stated way back earlier in this thread, I find makeup distracting, forcing me to try to look through it to see the real person underneath. If it's more than minimal it's as if she's wearing a mask, and I like to be able to see who I'm talking to.

I certainly respect any woman's right to present herself any way she wants to be perceived, but do know that those perceptions certainly aren't uniform among all of us men.

If I were to try to represent my gender, I think it's a woman's attitude and personality that really appeal, far more than outer trimmings. We diverge quite a bit on appearance factors, but we agree a lot that a positive attitude goes a long way.

Oh, and btw, as one who's rapidly transitioning from salt and pepper to silver, I find a woman who proudly displays her own natural color, grey or not, sexy at any age.

So for at least this man, au naturel is the most appealing look at ANY age.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 391
Posted: 11/18/2011 7:21:12 AM
I find it interesting the people that say "au naturel" at any age is appealing.
I'd be interested to see what they thought if they met a woman with liver
spots, age spots, dark bags under her eyes, hairs on her chin and under
her nose, red cheeks from rosacea or any other sort of skin condition.
Yeah, they'd jump all over that I'm sure.

Lots of women would LOVE to go "au naturel", unfortunately they weren't
blessed with the sort of skin that encourages it.

I don't actually wear make up myself...except for mascara when I go out...
chapstick all the time, sometimes lipstick. But, I don't assume that everyone
has skin they are comfortable with...and neither should anyone else.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 392
Posted: 11/18/2011 7:45:43 AM

so..how about men? most of the things you mention afflict men with age, too, yet most do not slather makeup on

What about them? Start a thread about men who wear too much make up or make up
and we can probably get responses from them. And please don't try to tell me that men
that have the above skin conditions don't also suffer from lack of interest from the
opposite sex. People do what they think they need to do to attract others. Wearing
makeup is no different than excercising, wearing cologne or dressing to impress, IMO.

The original post here was women that wear too much makeup...I was merely responding to the au naturel comment.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 393
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2011 9:45:15 AM

No one should dictate to anyone what they should or shouldn't wear or how they should present themselves.

I hope I was clear in my post that I agree with you. I would never presume to dictate to someone else how they should make personal choices on how to present themselves.

I was simply responding to the erroneous assertion that no man would find an au naturel woman attractive. While I would never tell someone else what to wear, that doesn't mean I don't find myself more attracted to some looks than others, and I'm more attracted to natural flaws than efforts to hide them.

But that's just me.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 394
Posted: 11/18/2011 10:31:28 AM

I find it interesting the people that say "au naturel" at any age is appealing.
I'd be interested to see what they thought if they met a woman with liver
spots, age spots, dark bags under her eyes, hairs on her chin and under
her nose, red cheeks from rosacea or any other sort of skin condition.
Yeah, they'd jump all over that I'm sure.

so..how about men? most of the things you mention afflict men with age, too, yet most do not slather makeup on

The thing about that ^^ is there are things that can be done to minimize those things, you can pluck out unwanted hairs (wax or whatever) similar to a man shaving his face.

Liver and age spots, and rosacea..see a professional. There are many good products that will work; OBAGI is great, I used it before when I had skin issues from the chemo.

Dark bags exist for a reason, my mom is 90 and doesn't have them so it isnt always age.

What those things mean to me is someone who is not caring about their personal appearance and basically giving up ...and that wouldnt be someone Im not interested in.

But for a man to say that men cant do anything to make themselves look better is imho retarded, some do and some don't but don't cry foul just cause you make a personal decision not to.

How someone decides to present themselves on here in their profile or in real life is a choice they make but do not put members of the opposite sex down for not finding you attractive no matter how wonderful your personality might be if you make it your choice not to invest in your appearance...the face you show to the public.

It is sorta like white teeth, some people brush them but never whiten them...it shows in their smile and to me is a turn off; are they wrong..NO! it is just something about whiter teeth that I find extremely sexy and appealing. Now I get on my daughters when their teeth look dull ...they are in their 20's.

So again it isnt about age...it is about using age as an excuse!
 coyotefeller
Msg: 395
Posted: 11/18/2011 10:56:38 AM
There is no such thing as too much makeup !
It just doesn't work for everybody :)
I have a friend who wears gobs of that old eyelash
stuff that get clumpy and I call her Tarantula eyes
and she is just a cutie pie ! lol
Some women get creative with eye-liner and colors
on the upper eyelids and such.....hell it's all good
and fun if it all fits together !
Makeup is getting creative with the advent of designs
on the upper cheeks and or temples....it's all good!
It all goes with flowers in the hair :)
I think some women send hints ....like cougar spots
and stuff like that.....maybe you can tell I like women,
naked or all dooded up, it's all good......hell high heels
and sex mix fine....just like in the movies ! :)
Women au naturel is fine too, some can't have stuff near
their eyes ....no big deal :)
 ladyc4
Msg: 396
Posted: 11/18/2011 12:59:30 PM
I think the trick to " au naturelle" is to JUDICIOUSLY play up your good points and play down any flaws/faults without it looking like you just came out of the paint room in a NASCAR team garage, LOL.
And yes, being overly focused/unduly concerned with things like messing up your hairdo or manicure can make you a less enjoyable companion than a woman who leaves the house clean and reasonably groomed-and doesn't worry about it that much for the rest of the day.
As for having things adjusted, trimmed, or lifted-that's all very fine within reason and is not a radical retrogression(if your facelift looks like they needed a forklift to get it back up there, you may have actually done yourself a DISservice, lol.)
I'm personally opposed to the ideas of enhancing body parts with silicone, saline bags,etc, or injecting a toxin under your skin...those ideas make my skin crawl.

Also do have to concede that there are many mature men and women who do have to be concerned with ageism in the workplace, who need to try and maintain a more youthful look and attitude at work. As long as their efforts aren't extreme, I see nothing wrong with mature people-including men-who take extra care of their skin, perhaps tone down or cover the gray,and make a little extra effort to deal with dark circles/puffy eyes that don't include surgery, injections or fishing line(LOL)...that's fine.
And I can appreciate that sometimes ageism/competition in the workplace might require one to take more drastic steps-a sad thing, but reality for some,unfortunately.
But it's possible for a person of ANY age to get overly heavy-handed with cosmetics/cosmetic procedures. I'm not sure which is worse, an older lady wearing too much warpaint, or a young lady who has applied her makeup with a too- heavy hand.
Cindy O
 SugahPunkin
Msg: 400
Posted: 11/23/2011 5:17:02 PM
Well... I got the whole kit n kaboodle on.. My Dad always said a good coat of paint always helps an old barn... lol..

I love makeup , always have..
 vanityfair55
Msg: 402
Posted: 11/24/2011 8:57:09 AM
Love makeup and all the other girlie stuff
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 403
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2011 5:17:02 PM
ladyc4 is correct....ageism in the workplace pushes us to do some things we would rather not do, but if the choice is losing a job/pension, well, then, I'll do whatever.....
 satx78218
Msg: 404
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2011 3:52:26 AM
Apart from the health concerns (of the carcinogenic chemicals passing through the skin), make-up is fine

IF

it's invisible.

Too often, esp down here in SA, the make-up is so bad it's distracting, too thick, curdling, the eyelash thickener/lengthener is crumbling off, the transition in color and texture from face to neck and ears is very obvious. Is her natural skin so bad that (she thinks) this mess looks better?
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 405
Posted: 11/25/2011 11:06:43 AM
I think at our age we all need a little help. Mostly moisterizers and lip gloss but when I go out I do wear a little bit. I still use the indian earth bronzer from the 90s works best and doesnt cake. Its all in the brush / application too much of anything is bad no matter what it is.

Some lipsticks with the red dye had been associated with cancer I want to say it was r*vl*n but Im not too sure.
 lastroseofsummer
Msg: 407
Posted: 11/27/2011 7:25:42 PM
I care about the way I look, and I will till the day I die. Makes me feel good about me, not you or anyone else. Love my makeup! music, slow dancing, pets, the water....
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >