Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kenpoboy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Cleansing diets?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Your body removes toxins fine on its own.

Thank you thank you thank you. Most "cleansing" and "detox" ideas are just stupid, if not harmful of themselves. Liquid and single food diets will deplete your body of toxins - and nutrients - in equal measure. Most of the "toxins" in your gut are actually good bacteria that help you digest food. And the body regards water/coffee etc, sprayed up your a$$ as an irritant. It doesn't feel good, and it doesn't clean anything.

You want to "detox" your gut/colon? EAT SHREDDED WHEAT.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 10/23/2008 2:15:25 PM
What 's with the strawman arguments? I never said flax seed was a chemical , nor was I referring to wheat flour. Why don't you guys take a second and read what I actually wrote.

I stand by my comments that single-element diets are stupid and potentially more harmful than just regular, sensible eating. And enemas are absolutely NOT neccesary, and not even a good idea, IMHO.

If most people just ate enough fiber, you wouldn't need all these idiot detox scams.
 satx78218
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 10/24/2008 7:28:27 PM
The best cleansing nutrition is tons of fresh fruit and veg, like the Mediterranean diet.

Specific supplements would be chlorella, and marine oils.

coriander powder is supposed to be heavy metal chelator/eliminator.

That said, cleansing is pretty much a losing battle, since nearly everything we eat, breathe, and drink is polluted with metals, chemcals, synthetics, pesticides, fertilizers, pharmaceuticals, hormones, fire retardants, hormonal analogs, etc, etc. all of which are new to the human body in the last 100 years. Every baby born in USA has fire retardant in it blood. It's really better not to think about it! :)
 I like it real....
Msg: 19
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 10/27/2008 7:55:50 PM
so many toxins in our environment.
cleanses are a terrific way to detox the body.
no one said one should stay on them for ever and a day
they are VERY healthy!
 _Icon_
Msg: 21
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 11/9/2008 4:08:16 PM
Every now and then I like to eat only fruit, nuts and water for a couple days. I feel great, I don't go hungry and my body gets enough nutrition.
 Re-energized
Msg: 22
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 11/13/2008 12:15:19 AM
I'm not a Doctor but I've been involved in the cleansing industry for awhile now and I am a Nutritional Cleansing Coach.
The toxins that we're facing today are slowly killing all of us.
Just look around, how many of your friends have a major disease or has died from one?
Did you know that the two leading toxins in your body are Jet Fuel and Flame Retardants?
And you're sadly mistaken if you think that drinking are polluted water or eating fresh fruit will eliminate toxins from your body.
The vast majority of the impurities are fat soluble which means that they will reside in your body forever unless you can find a cleanse that will pull them out.
Most cleanses don't do the job and actually cause more harm then good.
One example is the world famous Master Cleanse. This cleanse may give you some beneficial detoxing but it will also cause your metabolism to slow down which means when you end the cleanse you'll rebound and put on weight. The so called yo yo effect.
The Master Cleanse will also cause you to lose muscle weight because you're not giving it any nutrition.
Personally I've tried many cleanses and I've only found one that works incredibly well.
It is not a Colon Cleanse or a specific organ cleanse.
This particular cleanse pulls the toxins out of your body on a cellular scale, in other words in pulls the impurities out of your cells. And at the same time it floods your body with nutrition which we so badly need. At the age of 50 I now feel better then I've felt in decades and this cleanse helped me release 20 pounds, increased my energy levels, I sleep better, my body is now more alkaline ( we're all to acidic ), I no longer have joint pain and I haven't had a cold or flu in a very long time.
The cleanse did not cure me of anything. It pulled the toxins out of my cells and this allowed my own amazing body to restore it's own function. I now share this with my entire family and we're all benefiting with greater health. Take care.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 25
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 11/16/2008 11:40:49 AM
We all have such different bodies, so maybe people should find what works for them and do it. I get ****ed at all the time for eating high protein and low carb...here is the deal. My body likes it and does well on it. The day I start adding carbs to my diet, is when I seem to gain or stay the same. And I do not need anyof these "cleansing" things. My body just does what it is going to do either way. I am also pretty diciplined, so once I start doing something, I am pretty good on it. Some of the cleansing things I see people talk about are rather extreme, but if it works and is for them, then have at it. I say eat a rare steak, some veggies. :)
 sjca1
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 11/20/2008 11:07:33 AM
"Your body removes toxins fine on its own."

I agree with that. You see a lot of products out there trying to get you to cleanse out your system, saying that stuff is stuck to your colon walls and so forth. I saw one ad that said something like "I found a 5 year old cornflake was stuck inside my intestines". LOL. So ridiculous. How can a cornflake survice that long for one, and how can they determine the age?

It's all BS. Dr. Edell, who has had a radio show in the Bay Area for about 30 years, talks about this all the time. He says it's nonsense to think stuff is stuck to the wall of your colon and intestines. If you even have seen a video taped colonoscopy you will see there isn't anything clinging to the walls.
 smartypants24
Msg: 38
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 11/19/2009 5:26:50 PM
I haven't been able to complete the stages of this eating plan (I got stuck when it came time to remove dairy...I love dairy!) But I felt pretty good about the changes I was able to make :) http://www.yogachicago.com/mar05/gran (dot) shtml
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 44
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 8/13/2010 1:40:01 AM
Celery. I added it to my diet in 3 or 4 stalks a day for supposed blood pressure and cholesteral benefits. Chew it thoroughly. I don't know how well it works for the other but if I think I have the cleanest colon on the planet right now. LOL
 ToThySelf
Msg: 45
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 8/13/2010 3:23:58 PM
How would you measure your health after the cleansing? To say you will be healthier when you rid yourself of these toxins asks for some type of scale to measure. Rubbish! You have more of a chance of removing toxins drinking snake oil!
 1KCBR
Msg: 46
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 8/13/2010 4:29:33 PM
Don't do it. My friend did and lost all his electrolytes and almost died. If you do it.. make sure to get those electrolytes in.

In my opinion.. the best cleanse is nothing but..

tuna out of a can
egg whites
boiled chicken breast
fat free cottage cheese
celery
bananas
multi vitamin
water

If you have the power to eat that for 2 months straight.. then you will feel great after 2 months.
 Ideoform
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 8/20/2010 7:11:06 PM
Sometimes people confuse a "cleanse" with a "fast" because doing a fast is part of cleaning out your body for a lab test. You take laxatives, and stop eating for a while. This clears out your body of all food, and food waste.

Some cleanses are just products with a lot of fiber in them to clean out your colon if you tend to become constipated.

Some cleanses eliminate all processed foods, artificial additives, preservatives, and foods that were introduced more recently in our history as humans on this planet. This kind of diet is called the "Paleoithic" diet, or the Hunter/Gatherer diet, or the Cave Man diet.

Some cleanses are diets that eliminate all the foods that people tend to become allergic to. This kind of diet is called an elimination diet. It usually starts with something called a "rare foods" diet. Sometimes these diets start with a short fast and laxatives, too, but it continues on to change the way you eat temporarily after that.

First you eliminate from your eating pattern all of the most common allergens for a period of time, then add one food back at a time to see if you develop a reaction to it. The reason this helps is that if you are eating a food every day, you might not notice that you have been having allergic symptoms because you are used to feeling lousy for a long time, and didn't connect the problems with what you were eating.

If you are having chronic long term fatigue or low level aches and pains for a long time, you can try doing an elimination diet to clear your body of all possible allergens. You can add back any foods you don't react to.

I suggest this book to describe the process better: "Food Allergies and Food Intolerance: The Complete Guide to Their Identification and Treatment" by Jonathan Brostoff M.D. and Linda Gamlin.

Another good book is "The New Detox Diet; The Complete Guide for Lifelong Vitality with Recipes, Menus, & Detox Plans" by Elson M. Haas, M.D., and Daniella Chace, M.S., C.N.

If you don't want to buy a book there is a shortened version of it at this website with a printable PDF:
http://www.drcranton.com/elimination_diet.htm

Doing an elimination diet is an inexpensive way to improve your health if you have symptoms that you haven't been able to find the cause for. No drugs, no lab tests, no surgery, no fancy supplements. Just follow the guidelines and discover the way your individual body reacts to foods.

The dillemma is that in our culture, some foods are in almost everything that is processed today, like wheat, and dairy, preservatives, flavorings and such. So the only way to find out what you would feel like if you were without them is to strictly adhere to an elimination diet for a week or two. You only have to do this once, if you do it carefully, and then you know.

Sometimes eliminating the foods has to be done for life to avoid symptoms, and sometimes you can add back small amounts of foods you were allergic to, as long as you don't overdo it.

Some people subsequently follow what is called a "rotation diet" to avoid developing allergic reactions to foods from constant exposure to them. This is where you never eat the same food every day and rotate them into your diet every four days or so.

Three years ago, I discovered that symptoms I was having for most of my life were a type of food intolerance and after eliminating them, my health improved tremendously. This has also worked for other relatives of mine. I would have never known because I didn't have the usual allergy symptoms (runny nose, itchy eyes, hives, ect...) I had muscle and joint pain, fatigue and headaches instead.

Incidentally, I also lost weight, (45 lbs.) even though I wasn't counting calories. The diet helped me to digest my food better and so I lost all cravings for food, and wasn't as hungry as before. I have lots more energy now and can easily exercise again (and want to exercise because it feels good to move again.)

If you want more help and can afford it, Metagenics is a very reputable company that makes products to assist people going on a special medical diet, a cleanse or an elimination diet. I did a cleanse of this type last summer using their line called "Ultra-Clear" products and a supplement called "AdvaClear." I felt really good and I would do it again except they can be expensive. The Ultra-Clear is a powdered meal replacement made from things that fit an elimination diet, and help you to follow it more easily because you can always have that as a meal or a snack. (It tastes really good.) And the AdvaClear supplement has herbs and vitamins that help support your liver, which is the organ that filters and detoxifies every drop of your blood every day.

(By the way, I don't work for any of the places that would sell these books or products. I am just a customer.)
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 11/19/2013 3:39:17 AM
It would take a while to cleanse a specific organ by eliminating all food and drinking water and be unhealthy if done to long .I would not fast more than 3 days and get in green drinks.

Liver cleanses done right with clean foods and liver cleansing herbs do well . Blood tests will confirm.

A candida cleanse works well for candid over growth using the right products and eliminating sugars/starches/processed foods.Again blood test can confirm.

You can cleanse the bowel but you have to keep good intestinal flora up and not use laxatives, just a few stimulants to make the intestines want to move, and some magnesium to draw water in the colon, and add a lot of fiber.
Cayenne can do that in lemon water.Other things work also and wont give you lazy colon.

I would cleanse before an elimination program personally if having a lot of issues.

I was having for most of my life were a type of food intolerance and after eliminating them, my health improved tremendously. This has also worked for other relatives of mine. I would have never known because I didn't have the usual allergy symptoms (runny nose, itchy eyes, hives, ect...) I had muscle and joint pain, fatigue and headaches instead.

^^^^^^^This has proven to work for many things including weight loss/food addictions and allergies . Good for you.
 satx78218
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 11/21/2013 1:40:47 PM
I think the best cleaning diet is a week of juicing of only the freshed organic veg and fruit. Be careful with the fruit due to the sugars but at least they are in the matrix of great vitamins, minerals, nutrients. plenty liquid, even teas and coffee
 aanarchist
Msg: 50
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 11/26/2013 12:07:23 PM
Only water is a bad cleanse your body will eat itself. That's basically extended fasting and Fasting should be 24 hours at most to be a real benefit. A real liquid cleansing would be like juicing, where you drink fruit and vegetable juice made using a juicer and organic produce for I think it was 2 days to a week. Just like fasting it allows your digestive system a break on top of allowing it to clean itself up a bit. From what I heard from a person when he tried juicing and drank all his calories for a week he lost like 5 lbs of fat without reducing his calories.
 April1963
Msg: 51
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 11/27/2013 6:13:27 AM
From what I heard from a person when he tried juicing and drank all his calories for a week he lost like 5 lbs of fat without reducing his calories.

Yes, that can be a fact , because the person eliminates of its diet, salt, regular sugar and the fat completely, but to lose 5 pounds of fat in one week the person must be young, less than 30 years, because the metabolism.......

For cleaning the body, juices is the only way to start.If you want to lose weight, you should take 2 large glasses of prunes juice before starting the juice diet.
Remember not to leave your home for 24 hrs after you have taken the laxative (prune juice)...:-)
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 12/9/2013 3:07:54 AM

but to lose 5 pounds of fat in one week the person must be young, less than 30 years, because the metabolism.......

^^^^^^^^Not true.

Your metabolism on the right food plan will go up.
Add exercise ( esp weight resistance training) and it goes up even more.

Why take a laxative? That's colon cleansing and can make your colon lazy.
Extra fiber sure, but not laxatives.
I would be much more concerned with candida over growth than blowing out my colon.
 April1963
Msg: 53
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 12/9/2013 2:39:50 PM

Your metabolism on the right food plan will go up.Add exercise ( esp weight resistance training) and it goes up even more.

Correct, but NOT to lose 5 pounds of FAT in a week for a person who has 30 years or more...Can be 5 pounds of WATER but NEVER FAT!

Why take a laxative? That's colon cleansing and can make your colon lazy.

Correct,But I wasn't talking about taking laxative everyday or week,I was saying to drink the prune juice just before the juice diet (meaning once)......Anyway,being there done that and it works!!!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 12/10/2013 3:55:17 AM

NOT to lose 5 pounds of FAT in a week for a person who has 30 years or more...Can be 5 pounds of WATER but NEVER FAT!

Is that another one of your "sexy body" facts you list?

You are wrong.

It has more to do with your starting weight/state of over weight/point of time you are in your weight loss stage/what you eat/drink than your age.
 aanarchist
Msg: 55
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 12/10/2013 10:38:35 AM
Hey april how about you stop bullsh!tting and maybe take the energy you spend trying to convince others that you are right and put it into getting off the couch and do some exercise. Something> nothing when it comes to weight loss, arguing about technicalities is usually done by those who have done nothing more than read books(magazines, ads, pamphlets) about health and fitness, never living or experiencing what they argue about.
 April1963
Msg: 56
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 12/10/2013 11:40:56 AM
^^^^
Okay "SWEETIE".......I see that you are "well experienced in the matter". I will try to get off the couch.Thanks for the advice...:-):-)

ETA:
I forgot to ask you,After I get off the couch,What kind of exercise should I do?
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 12/14/2013 1:33:55 AM
The best exercise is to *exercise restraint* eating anything man has altered/sugars/grains/processed and packaged.
Simple but not always easy.
Followed by stretching or yoga to keep the arteries/muscles flexible, walking, weight resistance training
Aerobics or just dance and your feel good chemicals really come into play. It depends on fitness level and health condition/issues.
Most of us cant spend much more than 6 hours a week doing that and dont need to IF we eat right or have been very sedentary, work at a desk 8-10 hours .
If OBESE I wouldn't do anything but walk and stretch until you weigh less and def get a good check up first.
You could injure, put yourself in danger and get discouraged at lack of progress if you depend on a treadmill alone.

Actually getting up and down /up and dpwn off the * couch or a chair* is a great exercise.Can't use your hands.
Act like its a public toilet you dont want to sit all the way down on.

One thing people argue with me over (IRL) is that you cannot be healthy if you are obese.SORRY,
YOU CAN'T, I dont care if you CAN run 2 miles or bench press 300 pounds.
There so NO benign obesity.
This does not mean all slim people are healthy.
The cancer/cardiovascular risks are to high and inflammation attacks your body.
Your hormones are not normal.
Poly cystic ovary disease is much more common, infections and
yo- yo dieting is worse for your heart, gall bladder, stroke risks, muscle loss, stress than a slow steady weight loss plan and then maintain.

Your waist size is the most important factor in health risks, not your behind or thighs.
BMI can give you and idea of where you are ,but many have more muscle or less, so its not ideal.
Fat surrounds internal organs if the belly is big and you can still have pencil legs and normal fat elsewhere for example.I/R is usually the issue, foods you are intolerant to, addicted to that you are told are healthy.( whole grains).
Low fats "diets"

Measure your waist.Pinch your waist.
Sit ups don't fix that, food does.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/10/26/belly-fat-health-dangers.aspx
 April1963
Msg: 58
Cleansing diets?
Posted: 12/14/2013 7:05:36 AM
LOL!!!
I'm not sure, why this forum (Health Wellness) makes me laugh...Hehe!
Sometimes it is more fun to read this one that the humor forum.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >