Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why are SOME men threatened by an Independent, educated woman???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 .Lisa
Msg: 101
Why are men threatened by an Independent, educated woman???Page 5 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)

Usually when a girl say's "independant" ... it usally means she wants nothing serious!

i beg to differ, i'm very independant and yea i don't **** around. i settled down and hope all goes well
 MsIrish
Msg: 102
Why are men threatened by an Independent, educated woman???
Posted: 5/23/2006 11:13:48 PM
may-be so but true, all women's lib has done for woman is give them more work. At home and out in the world. And even in families where there is a couple (male , female ) she still does most of the house work. I bring it up cause it peeves me when I here comments that believe a woman who stays at home is Lazy. For the record i did both and was single doing it. Both areas of your life suffer cause there is only so many hours in the day and so much energy available.
Women's Lib was suppose to give woman the freedom to choose, Yet those who do decide to stay home are put down for their choice by other woman as well as men...Ms. Irish
 easy_going
Msg: 103
Posted: 5/24/2006 1:44:29 AM
I didnt read the whole thread , Just the title , and a couple of replies .
The answer is , we're not all afraid , and we're not all threatened .
SOOOOOOOO many generalizations , gets tiring .
Find one who isnt threatened by you , sheesh.
 Scottish Warrior
Msg: 104
Posted: 5/24/2006 2:43:51 AM
Im not threatened by them one bit...... I can say though that thorugh my experience I dont want anything to do with them, becasue ive found them shallow, vain, and have expectations too high for an ordinary fellow like myslef to fullfill so I guess you could say I just dont bother..... It would be nice though that when posting like this the person would qualify there statement ... perhaps like this " why are all men I choose to date threatened by an ..........."
 JWA
Msg: 105
Posted: 5/24/2006 3:24:33 AM
Has anybody other than me noticed the OP has stopped replying to this? I wonder why that is??
 Tonys Journey
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2006 5:09:48 AM
Only the weak,insecure and Abusive would be threatened by a Strong sucessful Woman.I love strong sucessful Women, as it means they have their own goals,ambitions,likes,dislikes,dreams and identity"s.
 YamIhere
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2006 5:22:06 AM
Better question: Why do strong, independent women always think men are intimidated by them? Maybe it's not a question of intimidation? I'm just sayin'...
 Athletic_funny1
Msg: 108
Posted: 5/24/2006 5:22:30 AM
Unfortunately you probably won't read this since it is on page 5.

Like most women you aren't looking at the real reason SOME men aren't interested in you would rather create some excuse that makes you look good. WE ARE NOT THREATENED by your independence, education/intellect. In fact we preferr it since you can likely contribute financially.

LOOK at the real reason men aren't interested in you. It is likely because you are persueing men who DON"T find you attractive... That is the bottom line.
 Athletic_funny1
Msg: 109
Posted: 5/24/2006 9:09:51 AM
Since the OP has stopped responding. Send you repsonses directly to the OP .. I did. I think she needs a dose of reality.
 chicaboom
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2006 4:59:17 PM
most over educated high credential ladies generally need power tools
 shasta dad
Msg: 111
Posted: 5/24/2006 5:08:50 PM
not to sound too sexist but it is the mans role, in his dna make up, to be the provider and take care of his women. you have to think it is only just latley that women have been able to be independent. the women who fought to make this happen where feminist so therefore we look at all independent women as such. either that or you might just be to pickey and unwilling to compramise which you look at as independence but most men look at as just being a pain in the ass. either way im sure there is someone out there that will be willing to let you change him into something you arent. look at the clintons.
 Dru
Msg: 112
Posted: 5/24/2006 5:10:23 PM
All independent, educated women can mail me, no threats
 mac61169
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2006 5:16:17 PM
Men are not , boys are! Really that's all there is to it! Maturity.

Mac
 Wrenchman
Msg: 114
Posted: 5/24/2006 5:49:05 PM
Bah, different folks, different strokes, or something like that. Personally, I'm attracted to highly independant people who actually have lives and goals beyond the SUV and the white picket fence. All it means to me is that you'd likely make for good conversation.
 oceans1971
Msg: 115
Posted: 5/24/2006 5:51:31 PM
athleticfunny1 well said. it's a pathetic excuse for not being able to attract a guy.
 nicodomeus
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2006 6:01:42 PM
I personally look for the independent.

The problem lies when it is SO independent, that you don't allow your man to be a MAN!!!!

Let him be the boss every once in a while, let him think he wears the pants from time to time, and you will have fewer problems, I guarantee it.....
 Lethbridge_guy
Msg: 117
Posted: 5/24/2006 6:06:34 PM
I actually really want an educated and independent woman in my life!!! One that has goals and ambitions just as much as I do if not more!!! That is more attractive than anything else on a womans body!!! So if there is anyone out there like that get a hold of me!! lol
 caffeinejag
Msg: 118
Posted: 5/24/2006 7:21:22 PM
Is it independant and educated, or ovebearing and smug? Sometimes people mix the two and the latter just isn't attractive.
 arri
Msg: 119
Posted: 5/24/2006 7:31:42 PM
If it makes her feel better to assume she got dumped because of her superior intellect and independent lifestyle .. who are we to argue
 glmory
Msg: 120
Posted: 5/24/2006 8:10:30 PM
This is a very real problem. I am an Ivy League graduate student. I don't have to look hard for girls who have essentially never been in a real relationship. I was dating a 23 year old ecology graduate student last semester who had never had a guy she had known less than three years try to start a relationship with her, and had essentially been single her whole life up to that point! She was probably 5 foot 7, 130 pounds, got one of the highest GRE scores I had ever heard of, perfect score on the math and quite good on the verbal section an all around impressive girl. However she got totally ignored by men.

That said, many guys say they would love an independent girl. That is true beyond a shadow of a doubt. An easy way to see this is to look at how likely a girl is to get married with at each education level. A high school graduate is more likely to get married than a high school drop out. A girl with a bachelors degree is more likely to get married than a girl with a high school education. However a girl with a graduate degree is actually less likely to get married! For comparison men increase their chance of getting married with any increase in education.

In my experience it is usually not the intelligence of these girls that gets them in trouble, but things that go along with it. For one: they usually have absurdly high standards. I personally have been shot down by brilliant girls who had not had a real date in years, and didn't for years afterward. Pretty quickly you learn that these girls are a whole lot of work, while a slightly less intelligent girl would be much lower maintance. Along with that, they often don't send out messeges indicating that they are interested. It is nearly impossible to tell who many of these girls are interested in. So its really easy to say, well she is smarter than me, and isn't acting interested so I will move on.

Also, many of the smartest girls I have known totally ignore their appearance. I know a great number of really smart girls who for example never wear makeup. So it is often a choice between a girl with a graduate degree, who isn't terribly attractive and a better looking slightly less educated girl. Most guys take the cuter, easier girl to impress...

All is not hopeless though. I know other equally smart girls that do fine in relationships. While some are that way simply because they are hot, others have learned to get over the initial barriers. Essentially guys are going to feel you are out of their league. If this is your problem, than it is really important to make guys feel they have a chance. Any thoughts of playing hard to get, throw them out. You're really going to want to make things easy for the guy, or he will move on. No guy says they don't want a smart girl, so if you show them they have a chance they are likely to take it...
 Ms.Tyrius1
Msg: 121
Posted: 5/24/2006 8:26:16 PM
All men dream of being with an educated, self sufficient woman, the problem is that when they do find one, most men (I'm not saying all men) eventually feel resentment and it all has to do with that thing of theirs called an EGO!!!!!! You go girlfriend, eventually you will find someone who does not find you threatening.

True story: When I split up with my ex we/I went for marriage counselling and the first
question that was asked was; What is your education level and what is his?
I thought it was a weird question but the truth of the matter is it all boiled
down to communication, resentment and the difference in paychecks....Believe
it or not....and well I'm still looking for someone who doesn't feel intimidated
and its been, well lets just say long enough....LOL
 bustaman79
Msg: 122
Posted: 5/24/2006 8:28:31 PM
men aren't threatened by women like that... they don't care. it's more physical than anything.
 chicaboom
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2006 9:20:50 PM
actually it's the opposite with me
intelligent women are rightfully threatened by me
cuz they go through all the motions of becomming educated and intelligent,and with great humility and candor
and i come by and skroo their brains out
 Sanschele
Msg: 124
Posted: 5/25/2006 6:08:54 PM
Athletic_funny1...I did reply to your private message...and had to correct your spelling errors at the same time..remember? lol I'm not overbearing, and or smug in any way. I started a thread, you took it upon yourself to insult me privately (which, in fact, shows your insecurity in conversing with someone that you were too cowardly to reply to MY reply.."unread, deleted"..lol) Too funny!

I am strong in many ways which has taught me to be humble..based only on MY experiences as an independent woman, I have run across men that are abusive, controlling, insecure, and abhor a woman that can take care of herself and any other situation that happens to come along...because they feel not in 'control' any longer of the 'little woman.' I applaud ANY woman that can educate herself, take care of herself and her children without a 'man' to be the soul source of her existence.

And..Athletic...I choose to be single for many reasons now..unlike the belittling private message sent to me this morning by you to build yourself up/feel important...you don't know me, my circumstances, or what, quite frankly what I really look like based on my pictures on my profile. Again, I propose not trying to hurt people in the forums, find something else to do with your time, volunteer for a charitable cause, or join PETA..you have a miserable outlook on what you think people should be or what they deserve in life. I am proud of who I am and what I have accomplished and if ANY man has a problem with that then he is not a 'man'!! Do I make myself 'crystal' clear?? Good!! But I will tell you one thing my friend...you would be da*mn glad that I am trained to save your sorry butt when you're stuck in a hurricane out in the Gulf of Mexico and have no one to bring your a$$ back to safety but me. Now..belittle me again.

Oh crap...Jwa is on his way...lol

Sanschele
 tralala
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2006 6:50:53 PM
Goodness Ms Sanschele.........

i think that being independent is good. However, i think to put it out there for a challenge is not good.

Education is good and there are many types of education.

I also think that the more one works on themself, the better they will be.

To not flaunt is more attrative.

My best to you Ms Sanschele
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why are SOME men threatened by an Independent, educated woman???