Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marita_b
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Dixie Chicks and freedom of speechPage 10 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
thanks for that link,(MG)...

OMG,...I couldn't agree more,...

but is it only me or did his comments seem to have a rather unintentional prophetic conclusion?

I have always like jon stewart,...and now even more,...

I hope the country gets back to that,......
 designingwoman
Msg: 250
view profile
History
Dixie Chicks and freedom of speech
Posted: 8/2/2006 7:04:02 PM
GO DIXIE CHICKS!!!!
 Outdoor2
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2006 7:46:46 AM
^^^^and Raygun wanted to use that song in the '84 election...

I guess he liked the title, but never read the lyrics....

Slogans....not details (at least not public ones!)
 Outdoor2
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2006 11:58:07 PM

...in accordance with what you said of speaking your mind I wonder why no president or other White House elected person has ever said they really just don't give a sh-t about what the public thinks at times? I wonder why they don't just say the truth and admit the tax laws are written for the rich because in their opinion they carry the financial weight of the USA and deserve tax breaks and they really don't care about anyone from the middle class downwards.........

The obvious answer is that there is a time and a place to vocalize your feelings and than there are times when you should keep your mouth shut and bite your tongue to keep from getting into serious trouble that might other wise damage a fine career or potential career.

Ummm...a president or other White House elected person would NEVER EVER "find" a time or place to say anything of the sort!

Small, somewhat irrelavent issues, one might bite one's tongue for their career....but if it is a legal or moral issue...how many times does one have to wrestle with ones' own concious before saying....enough is enough, and damn the torpedoes!!!

Look at the history of rock'n'roll....the musicians with the most "controversial" lyrics tend to last the longest...

To thyne own self be true....or be a lap-dog...
 marita_b
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2006 5:47:33 AM
and it has in fact impacted her income,....

she's more popular than ever and making a shitload of money off the record,....
I'm not ready to make nice,....looks like she's the final winner,...

So if anything ,..eventually being true to yourself comes back to you favorably,...
even if the immediate lull makes it seem otherwise,...

The poster that mentioned all the other entertainers who fall in that category,...each one of those,...underwent similar lulls as the publics immediate reaction,....but they hung in there and the truth like cream rose to the top,....
 marita_b
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2006 9:38:40 AM
most people are "sheep"

[The only problem I have ever seen in this thread is all those who think it is fine and well to just stand up and voice your opinion on some topic that it should be voiced on. By: alaska2004 ]

I thought your constitution is based on this exact thing,....the "RIGHT" of
FREE SPEECH??????? well is it free????,...or selectively free????,....

as for the location of the speech,..Natalie's statement was on the eve of the US's deadline to Sadam,....they just happened to be in England at the time on tour,....they could have been anywhere,....it was something she said because the deadline had expired on that day,....not because of where they were,....

It was also an off the cuff remeark she didn't think much of at the time,....
and wouldn't have thought of again,..had some reporter in the audience not made such a huge deal of the comment 3 days later,....

Had that happened they wouldn't have written their latest album which is what they had been doing for the last 3 years,...not in fact hiding out,....

and as luck would have it they are playing in my town tonight,...I wish I had a ticket,....
cause I think they're great,......
 dogar2007
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2006 9:37:25 PM
I support the First Amendment even for airheads like the Dixie Chicks and even for bigoted ***holes like Mel Gibson. Twenty years from now, nobody will remeber either one, but I hope we will still cherish the Bill of Rights.
 dogar2007
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2006 5:40:21 PM
That sounds like a lot of anger, "dude".

Are you SUUURE that **YOU** don't have a giant stick stuck up your ass making you such a rude jerk to me, considering you do not even KNOW me???
 toonsmith
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2006 3:55:36 PM
Patriotism,

Hmm, wonder what the indians thought as the white man sang "This land is your land, this land is my land...."

It doesn't matter what was said. Someone is always going to be offended somewhere by something.

If Natalie said something bad about Sheehan, she'd have the lunatic fringe from the left instead of the right, ganging up on her. This is an "equal opportunity to hate" country.

Pro-Bush, Anti-Bush, doesn't matter. The rest of the world thinks we are rich, fat and crazy anyway. We've gone so overboard that we debate if one of the teletubbies is gay and if Barney is actually the antichrist. We ponder and huff and puff about the ridiculous. Large portions of our populace ACTUALLY believe the crap Pat Robertson dishes out on his network.

Freedom of speech, if the loonies can spout. Why not a chick?

Toon
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 280
Posted: 8/15/2006 12:38:03 PM
Loretta Lynn's last album made many mainstream critics' best of the year lists. Won Grammies. But didn't get air play on country stations. I don't really keep up with country music much - there are some I like and I ignore the rest. But I watched a tribute to Johnny Cash on the country music channel, because I really like Johnny Cash. Came in in the middle and saw Kid Rock doing a terrific version. Then Brooks and Dunn came on. It was embarrassing. Like Lawrence Welk doing the Sex Pistols. I couldn't watch any more. I think a lot of country music is targetted to people who have no clue about real country music.
 marita_b
Msg: 282
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2006 3:48:44 AM
It's rather poetic justice don't you think????,...open_book
 TimPommell
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2006 9:06:22 AM

George Straight was my favorite singer then I picked up one of his CD's and the first 15 minutes of it was how gwb is his best friend I don't listen to either george anymore, I gave all the CD's away..

It appears it's only an issue of freedom of speech when it's not an opposing opinion. Looks like confirmation that the level of hypocrisy is equal on both sides, or is it....
The bottom line is that when an entertainer decides to make a political statement, there will be fan repercussion, doesn’t matter if it’s popular or not, some fans will be offended and hit them where it hurts, in the pocketbook… The difference here is that mainstream country music will never accept the Dixie Chicks back into the fold, now if they could become a “rock” band; perhaps they could make it in the pop market… (Can anyone adjust the lyrics to “Cowboy take me away” to the tune of “Smells like teen spirit”?)
The reason the Dixie Chicks are doing so well now is because they are perceived as protestors, when the novelty wears off, and there is no more GWB to protest against, they’ll be shunned by the left just like Joe Lieberman… But then again since the left seems to be focused on beating GWB in ’08, perhaps they’ll remain a pseudo pop icon until ’12, should the left finally figure out GWB can’t run again….
 Double Cabin
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2006 9:06:25 AM
Does anyone listen to the musci before the politivs anymore?

The Highwaymen, legends of "Country Music," couldn't get airtime because they didn't have 25 year old bodies in tight fitting jeans.
 designingwoman
Msg: 296
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2006 2:03:17 PM
The Dixie Chicks RULE!! I am proud that they stood up to the worst president this country has ever had. I am glad that they spoke their minds.

DW
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 308
Posted: 12/3/2006 6:46:11 PM
You're ignoring that the Dixie Chicks were in Britain when the invasion started.

That's when the question would come up, and when she would be feeling embarassed that he was a Texan. And let's keep in mind that that is all she said. She didn't go off on a rant, she didn't call for his head on platter or call anyone names. In turn the right wing spin machine went into high gear to the point that years later when they had the biggest selling album in the world corporate controlled media wouldn't play their single.
 msquared
Msg: 319
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2006 5:14:53 AM

What facts don't you don't agree with Rev? That Maines said her statement for effect instead of a anti-war statement? That Maines has declared herself a non-patriotic person and thinks people are ignorant and stupid if they say they are? That Maines see's no reason to have a military? That Maines think patriotic songs are sickening since 9/11? Especially when sang by country western singers? What facts exactly don't you agree with Rev?

If these are facts, then obviously you have proof, or at least strong evidence. Please provide it.
 msquared
Msg: 327
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2006 6:05:35 AM

That is the fact.

Really?

Spoke with them personally about it, did you?
 marita_b
Msg: 333
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2006 12:48:32 PM
The problem as usual is people don't examine the finer evidence for WHY she made her statement WHERE she made it
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

actually,..she herself has said many times that it wasn't so much a statement to stirr up anything,...but simply what came into her head (and out her mouth) at the moment,...

no big plan,...no political agenda,....not at the time at any rate,....

She hadn't even remembered saying it until later when as bad luck would have it someone in the audience quoted her in the press,....and then it hit the fan,....

turns out she was right,....and today she has more people agreeing with her than not,....

The power of a little girl singing is limited,....way more limited let's say than a president,....
so in the end which of the two has done more damage????????????
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >