Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marita_b
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Dixie Chicks and freedom of speechPage 4 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
"Patriotism means to stand by the country.

It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country.

It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country.

It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country.

In either event, it is unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the president or anyone else"

- Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States
 toonsmith
Msg: 228
view profile
History
Dixie Chicks and freedom of speech
Posted: 6/25/2006 11:57:08 PM
People still listen to the radio? (cranks DC on his computer)

Personally, I think there are some mitigating factors besides the backlash regarding off the cuff comments.

Ticket sales may be also down because....us common folk are watching the dollars because of the current horror playing out at the pump?

Sure hasn't stopped their sales of CD's though.

Good music is good music. Regardless of what the artist believes.

Dean Martin, Sinatra, The Clash, U2, Dixie Chicks.....

It's all good.

Now if Natalie went to the middle east, and she said the Dixie Chicks were bigger than Mohammad....that might cause a bit of a stir.... that one bit the Beatles in the backside.

Toon
 marita_b
Msg: 231
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2006 2:54:59 AM
Imagine if David Beckham started
tearing into Bush and American politics????(vivid)
----------------------------------------------------
That's just silly

David Beckam is also not American,.... Now if he said anything about his leadership,...
well his ****in' would get lost in the roar,....there's just too much of it in GB,...

Free speech,..is either free,...or it isn't......
if it's only free in certain situations and circumstances,..
which to me is censorship,....even if we do it to ourselves,....otherwise known as
self censorship,....
 marita_b
Msg: 233
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2006 10:30:33 AM
not choosing to buy something for yourself,..for whatever reason,...that's capitalism,....

insighting others not to buy something and getting on a podium to spout this,...isn't,....

see the difference??????

anyone is free to purchase whatever they want and can aford,...

but the minute you try to convince someone else not to buy something becausa of something YOU think,....well that's being part of the proactive group,..the one that insights,....

and there are actual laws against it,...

even the dixie chick only stated what she felt,...she did not invite or insight others to believe as she does,....but this has all been said before and simpler than this it can not be said,...so if you choose to believe what you want fine,....you are free to,...at least today,...

tomorrow,...who knows,...
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 236
Posted: 7/4/2006 8:42:01 PM
It's not a matter of DJ's across the country spontaneously deciding not to play their music. The album was Number 1, not just on the country charts, but in absolute terms. So it's not a matter of country fans not wanting to hear them. This is corporate radio sending a message that anyone who doesn't toe the line will get hit.
 canyunflyer
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2006 9:58:48 AM
Wow! Reading that apology by Natalie more than affirmed my opinions about her mentality!

She is an immature, reactionary, spoiled little brat! I forgive her. Most big name entertainers are. Hell... if I had gotten famous and was paid millions of dollars to strut out in front of filled stadiums and sing for an hour.... when I was in my 20s...I might have been worse!!!

As Usual...You Libs just Don't get it. This issue is NOT about free speech. Its about Behavior!!!! WITH FREEDOM COMES RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!

Everyone, including Natilie Maines is absolutely entitled to their beliefs and ideologies!! Any conservative would fight you in defense of that one! But... that they are thus entitled to act them out, in any way they please, in any venue at any time...????? Is another issue completely!!

During WAR....which is when this action took place.... the overall good of the country is what is supposed to be considered first! For those that truly desire the US to WIN in this current struggle..... it is a no brainer that you consider the power and consequences of your 'freedom rights' before you turn it into 'behaviours'. Natilie Maines, didn't bother to do this. She basically gave in to the emotional moment, and the privilaged pulpit she had, and blasted.

Modern Liberalism seeks to change the english dictionary. they apparantly believe good old words like Sedition, or treason.... have no meaning or use anymore. that is scary to me. Lets not confuse beliefs with behavior!!!! No one minds if you hate the president... but if you try to shoot him (or her)... that is unexceptable. You can't do that. The Liberals havn't taken to trying to shoot Bush yet... but, they are getting close...while still calling it free speech... or basic civil rights!! Its nuts.

As for the dixie chicks? I applaud their talent. I was a huge fan when they first emerged. But, now it is difficult for me to see past their disgusting arrogance and obvious patronizing attitudes when it comes to their open bush hatred and their disdain for their fan base! I don't wish them well!
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 239
Posted: 7/7/2006 11:22:27 AM

Modern Liberalism seeks to change the english dictionary. they apparantly believe good old words like Sedition, or treason.... have no meaning or use anymore. that is scary to me. Lets not confuse beliefs with behavior!!!! No one minds if you hate the president... but if you try to shoot him (or her)... that is unexceptable. You can't do that. The Liberals havn't taken to trying to shoot Bush yet... but, they are getting close...while still calling it free speech... or basic civil rights!! Its nuts.

Wow, talk about nutty. She said she was embarassed Bush was a Texan. How on earth does that rise to the level of sedition or treason? Who the hell talked about shooting anyone? Oh, I know, Ann Coulter, back when Clinton was President. Are you going down to the police station to file treason or sedition charges against her?
 SelfSufficient
Msg: 240
Posted: 7/7/2006 1:33:35 PM
Free speech is not just limited to what is politically correct, or easy to listen to.

Free speech includes criticizing the president.

Free speech includes criticizing any group even when the law calls it hate speech and makes it a crime.

Free speech includes being able to avocate the overthrow of your government and not being charged with treason.

Free speech is something most people don't understand and if they did wouldn't want it.
 marita_b
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2006 7:08:14 AM
thanks for that link,(MG)...

OMG,...I couldn't agree more,...

but is it only me or did his comments seem to have a rather unintentional prophetic conclusion?

I have always like jon stewart,...and now even more,...

I hope the country gets back to that,......
 designingwoman
Msg: 250
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2006 7:04:02 PM
GO DIXIE CHICKS!!!!
 Outdoor2
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2006 7:46:46 AM
^^^^and Raygun wanted to use that song in the '84 election...

I guess he liked the title, but never read the lyrics....

Slogans....not details (at least not public ones!)
 Outdoor2
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2006 11:58:07 PM

...in accordance with what you said of speaking your mind I wonder why no president or other White House elected person has ever said they really just don't give a sh-t about what the public thinks at times? I wonder why they don't just say the truth and admit the tax laws are written for the rich because in their opinion they carry the financial weight of the USA and deserve tax breaks and they really don't care about anyone from the middle class downwards.........

The obvious answer is that there is a time and a place to vocalize your feelings and than there are times when you should keep your mouth shut and bite your tongue to keep from getting into serious trouble that might other wise damage a fine career or potential career.

Ummm...a president or other White House elected person would NEVER EVER "find" a time or place to say anything of the sort!

Small, somewhat irrelavent issues, one might bite one's tongue for their career....but if it is a legal or moral issue...how many times does one have to wrestle with ones' own concious before saying....enough is enough, and damn the torpedoes!!!

Look at the history of rock'n'roll....the musicians with the most "controversial" lyrics tend to last the longest...

To thyne own self be true....or be a lap-dog...
 marita_b
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2006 5:47:33 AM
and it has in fact impacted her income,....

she's more popular than ever and making a shitload of money off the record,....
I'm not ready to make nice,....looks like she's the final winner,...

So if anything ,..eventually being true to yourself comes back to you favorably,...
even if the immediate lull makes it seem otherwise,...

The poster that mentioned all the other entertainers who fall in that category,...each one of those,...underwent similar lulls as the publics immediate reaction,....but they hung in there and the truth like cream rose to the top,....
 marita_b
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2006 9:38:40 AM
most people are "sheep"

[The only problem I have ever seen in this thread is all those who think it is fine and well to just stand up and voice your opinion on some topic that it should be voiced on. By: alaska2004 ]

I thought your constitution is based on this exact thing,....the "RIGHT" of
FREE SPEECH??????? well is it free????,...or selectively free????,....

as for the location of the speech,..Natalie's statement was on the eve of the US's deadline to Sadam,....they just happened to be in England at the time on tour,....they could have been anywhere,....it was something she said because the deadline had expired on that day,....not because of where they were,....

It was also an off the cuff remeark she didn't think much of at the time,....
and wouldn't have thought of again,..had some reporter in the audience not made such a huge deal of the comment 3 days later,....

Had that happened they wouldn't have written their latest album which is what they had been doing for the last 3 years,...not in fact hiding out,....

and as luck would have it they are playing in my town tonight,...I wish I had a ticket,....
cause I think they're great,......
 dogar2007
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2006 9:37:25 PM
I support the First Amendment even for airheads like the Dixie Chicks and even for bigoted ***holes like Mel Gibson. Twenty years from now, nobody will remeber either one, but I hope we will still cherish the Bill of Rights.
 dogar2007
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2006 5:40:21 PM
That sounds like a lot of anger, "dude".

Are you SUUURE that **YOU** don't have a giant stick stuck up your ass making you such a rude jerk to me, considering you do not even KNOW me???
 toonsmith
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2006 3:55:36 PM
Patriotism,

Hmm, wonder what the indians thought as the white man sang "This land is your land, this land is my land...."

It doesn't matter what was said. Someone is always going to be offended somewhere by something.

If Natalie said something bad about Sheehan, she'd have the lunatic fringe from the left instead of the right, ganging up on her. This is an "equal opportunity to hate" country.

Pro-Bush, Anti-Bush, doesn't matter. The rest of the world thinks we are rich, fat and crazy anyway. We've gone so overboard that we debate if one of the teletubbies is gay and if Barney is actually the antichrist. We ponder and huff and puff about the ridiculous. Large portions of our populace ACTUALLY believe the crap Pat Robertson dishes out on his network.

Freedom of speech, if the loonies can spout. Why not a chick?

Toon
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 280
Posted: 8/15/2006 12:38:03 PM
Loretta Lynn's last album made many mainstream critics' best of the year lists. Won Grammies. But didn't get air play on country stations. I don't really keep up with country music much - there are some I like and I ignore the rest. But I watched a tribute to Johnny Cash on the country music channel, because I really like Johnny Cash. Came in in the middle and saw Kid Rock doing a terrific version. Then Brooks and Dunn came on. It was embarrassing. Like Lawrence Welk doing the Sex Pistols. I couldn't watch any more. I think a lot of country music is targetted to people who have no clue about real country music.
 marita_b
Msg: 282
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2006 3:48:44 AM
It's rather poetic justice don't you think????,...open_book
 TimPommell
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2006 9:06:22 AM

George Straight was my favorite singer then I picked up one of his CD's and the first 15 minutes of it was how gwb is his best friend I don't listen to either george anymore, I gave all the CD's away..

It appears it's only an issue of freedom of speech when it's not an opposing opinion. Looks like confirmation that the level of hypocrisy is equal on both sides, or is it....
The bottom line is that when an entertainer decides to make a political statement, there will be fan repercussion, doesn’t matter if it’s popular or not, some fans will be offended and hit them where it hurts, in the pocketbook… The difference here is that mainstream country music will never accept the Dixie Chicks back into the fold, now if they could become a “rock” band; perhaps they could make it in the pop market… (Can anyone adjust the lyrics to “Cowboy take me away” to the tune of “Smells like teen spirit”?)
The reason the Dixie Chicks are doing so well now is because they are perceived as protestors, when the novelty wears off, and there is no more GWB to protest against, they’ll be shunned by the left just like Joe Lieberman… But then again since the left seems to be focused on beating GWB in ’08, perhaps they’ll remain a pseudo pop icon until ’12, should the left finally figure out GWB can’t run again….
 Double Cabin
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2006 9:06:25 AM
Does anyone listen to the musci before the politivs anymore?

The Highwaymen, legends of "Country Music," couldn't get airtime because they didn't have 25 year old bodies in tight fitting jeans.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >