Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Stand alone
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Favorite unknown wrestler.Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
New favourite one:

El Generico (OLE!!)
 nipoleon
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Favorite unknown wrestler.
Posted: 8/3/2007 6:57:11 PM
A few old timers might remember Danny Hodge.
A wrestler of awesome strength, Danny Hodge's physical prowess was so great that often - for his fans at least - it overshadowed his tremendous skills. His grip could shatter a pair of pliers, could crush an apple into applesauce. Had he not studied and carefully utilized proper wrestling techniques, he might well have maimed his opponents instead of dominating them.

In the collegiate style of wrestling, he had no peer, indeed no challenger. He won every one of his 46 bouts for the University of Oklahoma, 36 of them by fall, an astonishing 78 percent. During his junior and senior years, he pinned 22 consecutive opponents. And no collegiate foe ever took him to the mat from standing position.

Three times a National Collegiate champion at 177 pounds, he twice was voted the outstanding wrestler of the NCAA tournament.

In one 10-day span in 1956, his junior year, Hodge won the NCAA title and National AAU championships in both Greco-Roman and freestyle, winning every bout in those tournaments by fall.

Twice he was an Olympic wrestler, placing fifth in 1952 in Helsinki before his college career started, and winning the silver medal in the 1956 Games at Melbourne. There, in the championship bout, he led his Bulgarian opponent by a wide margin when a controversial rolling fall was called against him.

Over five years starting in 1952, his only three defeats in any style of wrestling were administered by three Olympic champions, a Russian, an American, and a Bulgarian.

After his collegiate wrestling career, Dan Hodge won national Golden Gloves and National AAU championships in boxing, becoming the first athlete in more than 50 years to win national titles in both sports.

For his legendary achievements as a wrestler, Dan Allen Hodge was honoured as a Distinguished Member of the US National Wrestling Hall of Fame. (by courtesy of USA Wrestling)

In Danny's own words...."They usually exchange one glove even, but I wanted both pair because this was to make me the first person in the history of the world to hold both the National Wrestling and the National Boxing Championships . . . never losing an amateur wrestling match in college or boxing match. I had nine months of professional boxing. I won eight out of ten boxing matches and was rated eleventh when I decided to quit boxing and return to my first love of wrestling. I entered the professional wrestling ranks in the fall of 1959. After two months I was hurt by Angelo Savoldi and was paralyzed about two and a half months. I started over again in five months. I defeated Angelo in the Stockyards Coliseum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, on July 22, 1960, to become the thirteenth wrestler to win the World's Junior Heavyweight Title. This was the goal I had for myself. This title I held for fifteen years. There was only one other wrestler to hold it for thirteen years. That was LeRoy McQuirk. LeRoy had had leukemia when he was five years old and had his right eye remove. Then he lost the other eye in a car wreck down by Little Rock, Arkansas, which left him blind. This ended his wrestling career as a wrestler, but not as a promoter. He became one of the largest wrestling promoters in the south central states. In my professional wrestling I won all of the southern, middle, and northern state titles. When I became the world champion I had to forget all of these. I have been hurt many, many times . . . cut, burned, broken hands, stomped so that I couldn't hit back at those that hit me, ribs broken, stomped in the stomach, and several car wrecks. But I never gave up. All the fans would say, "Just wait until Danny gets back, he will take care of you and shut your mouth and he will whip you with one hand tied behind him." You know, it was a pleasure to be World Champion, everyone looked up to you. It has been said by many people, "Danny, you are a wrestler's wrestler." I lost the title five times and regained it back six."

from Mid-South Wrestling news.
 fginto
Msg: 124
Posted: 8/12/2007 8:23:31 PM
"leaping" lanny poffo. he used to recite poems and throw frisbees into the crowd.
Classic :D
 Gaelan99
Msg: 125
Posted: 6/3/2009 10:01:46 PM
I know this thread is old but Isaac Yankem dds goes by the name of Kane now.
 vbxtc
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2009 8:19:51 PM
The most talented wrestler to never truly get "over", Hugh Morris.
 TO1983
Msg: 129
Posted: 6/6/2009 4:30:15 AM
Any wrestler starting after 1990 just didn't have the classic feel (and thus was not as good as) the "Old Timers".

At work, we still occasionally throw around a "thumbs up" and a "hoooooooooooo". Thank you Jim Duggin!
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >