Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 77
Tall=Intimidating?Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I have two cousins, both sisters. One is REALLY short, under 5 ft, due to juvie diabetes. Her sister is 6'1".

The short one said, "I would never date a guy shorter than I am". DUH--quite frankly, you'd be really unlikely to find one!
The taller one then replied, "Oh, I have no problem with that!" Of course not, because if she DID she'd be whittling out about 70% of her prosepctive mates!

I'm 5'10" and while I prefer a man to be taller than myself--call me "culturally biased"--I have dated quite a few men who were shorter, and neither of us gave it much thought.
 northeast25
Msg: 80
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 1:57:00 PM

I was quite happy to see what I have believed and said is true. Below copied from the site that was provided with a study. I quote, "As the woman's height increases, so does her propensity to prefer a shorter man. "
WOMAN'S HEIGHT USA SAME OR SHORTER (started from my height)

1. Probably only 1% ( or less ) of women are at least 5' 11" or taller.
2. It would make sense that a higher percentage of taller woman would date a shorter man because there are more men that are shorter than the taller women. If a tall woman only went after taller men, then her dating pool would be limited.
3. According to the study, there is a huge difference between dating a man that is same height or shorter and dating a shorter man. The first column is the woman's height. The second column is the percentage of women who would date a shorter man. The third column is the percentage of women that would date a man the same height or shorter. Many taller woman might date a man that is the same height, but the majority of women between 5'6" and 5'11" ( taller than average ) still wouldn't date a shorter man. Most very tall women wouldn't date a man that is more than 1-2 inches shorter than them.

5' 6" 8% 23%
5' 7" 13% 32%
5' 8" 14% 37%
5' 9" 19% 45%
5' 10" 25% 60%
5' 11" 38% 71%
6' 0" 51% 88%
 scorpiomover
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 4:52:04 PM

So Statistician ScorpioMover, perhaps you can let the rest of us know how you discovered this absolutely intriguing bit of information. You might want to publish a paper on it. Perhaps you should also consider informing tall men so they can "hit up" the tall ones when they just want some action.
POF. It was a woman poster who put that 60% of women will now sleep on a first date, and plenty of women posted they do that, and have no problem with it. Most female posters on POF put that they won't date men who are shorter than they are in heels. The fact is, that most of the male posters seem to me, to be aware that so many women will date only taller men, and will sleep with a man on the first date. So, it seems to me that tall men know they can also date tall women, and STILL CHOOSE TO DATE SMALLER WOMEN! If I would publish a paper on this, it would be about the fact that tall women don't even get the number of hook-ups that shorter women get, even if they want them!

Oh, and I LOVE being tall.
Good for you.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 5:49:14 PM

"Smart people don't get tired when they read something stupid. They get annoyed".
Still true.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 7:11:23 PM

If two women are equally attractive and one is tall and one is short, MOST men will choose the short one. If two men are equally attractive and one is short and one is tall MOST women will date the tall one. JMO. but I can't count the times I've heard a man say, she's pretty but she's just too tall or he's cute but he's just too short. Whether we like it or not height does come into play, just like weight......
I prefer women that are my height, so I can look her in the eye.
 dudeish
Msg: 94
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 7:50:19 PM
I don't feel that way about tall women at all! Yeah maybe if they are quite a bit taller then me but I really don't come across that to much so who knows.
 northeast25
Msg: 95
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 8:04:47 PM
can only speak about women I know and myself and what the study said is what I have believed. I didn't perform the study I quoted it. It confirmed what I believed to be true, that tall women and I can only include women I know and have spoken to etc. that are 5'11" and over have not had a problem with a man's height. It shows the majority of these women will date a man shorter.

That survey does not back up what you stated. Many very tall women might date a man that is 1-2 inches shorter than she is, but they still care about height and have height requirements. For example, according to the survey, many 6 ft tall woman wanted a man that is at least 5'10" / 5' 11" and taller. That means she wants a man relatively close to her height or taller than she is. Most very tall women wouldn't date a man that is significantly shorter than she is.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 10:49:06 PM

I'm really interested in hearing how that most women will now sleep with a
tall man on the first date.
1) If most women make it clear they won't date a short guy, then most women will be dating many more tall guys than short guys. So most first dates that women will have will be with a tall guy.
2) 60% is most. So most women will sleep with a guy on the first date, and we've already established that is most likely to be a tall guy, so most women will be sleeping with a tall guy on the first date.
3) Granted that you and many women in their mid-30s and above, who post on the POF forums, won't sleep with any guy on the first date. But you still point out that your preference by a mile is a tall guy, so those guys will be the ones to get the date, and the sex. Anyway, the reality is that women who are dating often, are often in their 20s, and often don't have kids.
4) Plus, a lot of women will hook-up with a guy from a club, with the expectation that if the time they spent together was good, including the sex, that it could lead to a relationship. So for a lot of women, a hook-up is in most respects the same as a first date.
The only time I could imagine that a hook-up would NOT be like a first date, would be when they have a great time, she WOULD see him again if it was a first date and he wanted to take her out for a date, and she chooses not to see the guy again anyway. But how often does that happen?
5) I've spoken to lots to guys, and if the guy regularly "pulled" (picked up) women, when he was hit on by a woman, he would reject her, because it was too easy. Generally, if the guy got a LOT of women, he wouldn't stick to one. As one guy put it, "Why would you want to eat only one flavour of ice-cream? Wouldn't you want to try them all?"
6) Given the prevalence that women only want tall guys, and that 60% would sleep with a guy on the first date (which is VERY low compared to the UK), and that tall men (over 6 feet) represent only 15% of the male population, that means that there are 6 women for every man. Think about how many dates you have to go on before you meet a guy who you have a relationship with. Then multiply by 6, to get the most likely estimate for a tall man. What number is that? 10, 20, maybe 50? If it's 50, which IMHO is quite reasonable for an attractive woman such as yourself, then that would translate to 300 women for a tall man.
7) Given that there are so few tall men, and that their height makes them sexually attractive all by itself, it's likely that the women who are willing to have sex on the first date, are likely to pick the best of men, that are the fewest, which would be the tall men. That could easily skew the 60% to be mostly the tall men, which could mean that tall men could be finding that over 90% of their first dates are becoming sex.
8) Now factor in that I've seen sites that claimed that statistically, most men choose to have a relationship, when they have a stable income, which given rising times in study, can often not be until their late 20s, maybe not even till their early 30s, and that until then, most men are just not interested in a long-term committed, relationship, where they are faithful, because they are unable to see themselves being able to support a family, without cutting short their dreams of a comfortable income and a comfortable lifestyle. A lot of men have told me just this, that they only want to settle down when they are financially "secure".
9) People had been estimated on changing careers every 7 years, over 7 years ago. So the job market was incredibly unstable, and has become even more so.
10) Divorces favour women financially, so men are going off marriage. But the law is now changing to put common-law relationships in the same way as marriage, so that a breakup from an LTR is resulting in the same financial loss for men as a marriage. There were 3 high-profile cases in the last year about this in the UK, of really wealthy city men who had LTRs and the wife got half the man's money. The UK has a history of functioning on the basis of "landmark cases", so the fact that this has been reported in the newspapers of 3 cases in one year, shows that this is fast becoming the norm. Child support now also works the same way. So this would all discourage men from an LTR.
11) Now, put all that together: tall men are in the minority (only 1 in 6 men), 6 out of 10 first dates end in sex, that 6 out of 10 is probably more than 9 out of 10 for those tall men, those tall men have 6 women for every man, the number of first dates for each woman, the fact that men who get a lot of "play" don't want to settle down that much, and that men generally don't want to settle down until they have a good secure income, and that such stable incomes are really hard to come by in this time, and that both divorces and breakups from LTRs are favouring women financially.

It puts an incredible amount of incentive for men who can get sex from lots of different women to just stay having casual sex, and not want an LTR, for as long as possible, and that the most desirable men would be those men, and that tall men feature very highly in that category.

It's still possible that a tall man might have an LTR with a woman. But the odds are highly against it. So the numbers of women who have an LTR would be very, very few, and the numbers of women who just had casual sex or an FWB would be very, very high.

I just took all the facts, and saw if there was a connection. It does seem as if there is one, to me.

But heck, that's what I do all the time. I put facts together and see if there is a connection. How do you think I'm able to do something like computer programming, when you have to get a computer to "talk" to a human being who doesn't understand them? I look for the things they can connect with.

It's always great to read things about "most" women from a guy who has confidence issues (as you've stated) and who has never had a long-term relationship (as you've stated).
That is EXACTLY why I can state this. I'm not bigging my self up. I admit my faults. I'm basing this on my observations of the people I've known, both male and female. Let me tell you one thing: when guys see you as a guy who is nice and polite, and never dates, they don't see you as a threat, so they'll tell you just about anything and everything about their dating scenarios. Women do exactly the same, because they stop thinking of you as a guy, because you don't date, and don't see you as a danger, because you're always nice and polite, so women tell you just about everything. I've always had to keep a lot of secrets, because I always knew who was dating who, and who was seeing someone on the side. But it really wasn't my place to tell a guy or a girl I didn't know that well, that his/her partner was seeing someone else, or thinking about someone else, because it would have just made things worse. So I kept my mouth shut. But to be polite, I listened. And when you listen, and you don't judge, people tell you everything.
The only things I didn't hear about, were abortions by women who felt very bad about it, were very into me, and didn't want to put me off.
 Mr. Brent
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/20/2007 3:31:55 AM
Tall is extremely attractive, I have only been with a 6'1" woman so she was still 2 inches shorter than me but no to answer your question.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 105
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/20/2007 5:56:14 AM
I'm with rjp and Brent. I love tall women...and short ones, and medium ones and...you get the idea.

I do feel for tall women, though. It's the same stigma short men have with dating; most women are predisposed (probably biologically wired) to look for tall guys. Guys are maybe wired the same when it comes to shunning women taller than themselves. It's more of a loss of machismo and self-image because the woman "seems" the more dominant just based on height.
 jf468
Msg: 106
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/20/2007 7:01:05 AM
I looked over the study that I provided. I agree with northeast and trailviews. Most women who were under 6 ft tall would not date a shorter man. 99% of women are under 6 ft tall so it is safe to say that most women wouldn't date a shorter man. There was a huge difference between the percentage of women that would date a man that is her height and shorter vs only dating a shorter man. Apparently 1 inch made a huge difference for a lot of women. A lot of women would date a man that is the same height as her. But wouldn't date a man that is an inch shorter than she is. IMO it's silly to reject a man that could be your ideal match because he is an inch shorter than your height requirement. The majority of women over 6 ft tall would date a man that is a little shorter than she is, but most of them wouldn't date a man that is much shorter than she is. For example 51% of 6 ft women stated that they would date a 5'11" man, but only 19% of 6 ft tall women would date a man that is 5' 9". Over 80% of 6 ft tall women stated that they would date a man that is between 6 ft and 6' 5" tall. That clearly shows that a lot more 6 ft tall women would date a taller man than a much shorter man.
 nycdoctor
Msg: 109
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/20/2007 12:10:48 PM
I still stuck by the emphasis that woman have on height. When asked this one girl about it, she said somthing like, " I just want a man who is bigger than me, someone who makes me feel protected' From what is my answer? Falling anvils? Stampeding elephants? Warring tribes? Honestly, unless a guy is painting a wall or taking down dishes, his height serves no purpose whatsoever to your happiness or survival.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/22/2007 5:30:45 PM

I am 5'7 barefooted, 5'10 in heels. I am more interested in how we stand next to each other when we are both barefooted. If he does not mind my height, I don't either. I dated a man 5'6 and he did not mind me in heels and it did not bother me.

I am in the 40%, not sleeping on the first date with anyone no matter what he has or promises.
Good for you on both counts. You are way ahead of most women on both counts.
 darkness757575
Msg: 119
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/23/2007 1:21:53 AM
I think women who are tall always come in handy when you need to get things in high places!!!!
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/23/2007 8:14:10 AM
[ When asked this one girl about it, she said somthing like, " I just want a man who is bigger than me, someone who makes me feel protected' From what is my answer? Falling anvils? Stampeding elephants? Warring tribes?]

...Too bad you don't live in a state with "right to carry"....Tell her she's protected..ya got a .44 Mag in yer pocket...
 Sniper308
Msg: 125
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/23/2007 9:14:11 AM
The other "tall" thread in the Over 45 area wasn't enough? Hellfire, let's just start a "tall" thread in ALL the gol-flippin' forums here!

Opening question(s):

1. No, I don't find tall women intimidating. I do find short women annoying, though.

2. I'm ONLY attracted to girls above average height... preferably, at least 5'8" tall.

Okay... on to the NEXT "tall" thread... wherever it may be.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/24/2007 4:22:00 PM

What if she's in a dark alley with a hatchet and she obviously *likes* you?
Make sure she's not carrying a packet of Fava Beans and a bottle of Chianti.
 tllynn
Msg: 127
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/24/2007 5:29:59 PM
so THAAAAAT"s my problem!!!.....(smacking hand on forehead).
 motownmaniax
Msg: 130
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/25/2007 7:28:30 PM
I'm almost 6'2", so hopefully I qualify.
 Ron-burgendy
Msg: 131
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/25/2007 7:31:56 PM
I love, i mean LOVE tall women. I literally turn stupid and my jaw drops. Thats usually why I dont have much luck with them.
 Ignoble
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 1/8/2008 11:55:07 AM
RE: First post.

Nope. I dont find tall women intimidating. Then again I've never met one taller than me so maybe my opinion isnt worth much.
 nycdoctor
Msg: 144
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 1/8/2008 12:19:01 PM
I FIND tall woman hot...i love their legs...
 scorpiomover
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 1/13/2008 8:57:20 PM
^^^ Wow. I am not much taller than the average American woman, about 0.3-1.3 inches taller, and am 5 pounds lighter, but even I know I'm very overweight for eating too much junk and not getting anywhere near enough exercise, something that is definitely a New Year's Resolution.

I'd be quite happy with taller women, if they were up for dating me.
 Just 4 You
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:10:43 AM
Look at a few tall Asians who stick out like a sore thumb. They like to say there's a stronger Gravitational Pull over there. LOL
I'm 6' 6" and find it very hard to date women under 5' 10" unless I want to be the star of the movie "Hunchback of 'Nother Dame".
 scorpiomover
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 1/15/2008 6:37:41 PM

And plenty of the most popular/attractive male actors are around average male height. But when they film them, they go out of their way to make them look tall (platforms, booster seats, camera angles, etc.), and also to make sure they look taller than their female counterparts (who are usually well above average female height).
Tom Cruise: 5' 7"
Mel Gibson: 5' 8"
Jean Claude Van Damme: 5' 10"

Can you see any of them, all under 6', getting a date on POF?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >