Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 147
Loners - what gives ? Page 7 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
It is not common, but it is not uncommon either.

I know several people that are this way;they are comfortable with friends and with themselves; they have no need of romantic, they have no desire to cohabit; they are extremely at peace with and actually prefer being alone.

More power to them I guess...
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 148
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/1/2013 10:13:19 AM
Just from my stand point
It is easier to be yourself and alone - than it is to constantly lie and compromise to be with someone.
And at some point - you realize you don't need it.
Sure - it would be nice - like winning the lottery - I think I have about as much chance at either
After ALL (meaning every damn one of them) of my friends have gotten a divorce - they have all said - 'I get it' and finally quit asking me when I am going to 'settle down and get married' .
 gtomustang
Msg: 149
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/2/2013 4:14:54 PM
for every introvert, there could be one or two people unhappy with their marriage/family situation. they may be in their situation in order to feel they have achieved success in life, by avoiding being alone. I meet many people who deserve human respect...but don't deserve my focus and devotion. so I don't invite their stupidity into my life, and everyone's happy as a result (I'm not constantly reminding them their problems are self-inflicted and can be easily remedied as a result of that control).

some people invent the things we use in life b/c they didn't have distractions. others invent what we use b/c they saw a problem to solve, by hanging out with other people.
 sigungq
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/4/2013 3:15:02 PM
OP, I'm 47, never dated, never married, never had a relationship. Although, I would like to have one. I just have never asked a woman out who said yes yet.
 SteveJ7
Msg: 151
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/4/2013 5:19:14 PM
Some of us are just not cut out for "Mainstream Relationships" and I'm one of them. I'm 50 and have had a few so called "relationships", maybe for a few months or whatever but it just doesn't workout. It's mostly about genetics, breeding, survival of the fittest,etc. if you think about that to much, I guarantee you will get real depressed.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 152
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/5/2013 11:48:25 AM

I totally agree, I'd like a new car but that means I'd have to work to get one. Totally not worth the hassle.

The car analogy is good - so in that context I guess it depends on how much value you place on a new car and how practical it is. If you don't need one and can either live without a new one or live without one at all - it will be easier for you to be choosy about buying one or what features you want. If a car doesn't meet your budget or have the features you want in a car, you'll have no problem walking away from it. If you don't have a car or yours dies and you need a new one, you're going to adjust your expectations, spend differently than you want to, or go without features you want for the sake of needing to get around.

No one is "strong enough to be independent". How hard is it be single?

For some it's very hard.

Seriously.

Yes, seriously.

You make it sound like it's a badge of honour not to be in a relationship, when it's takes no work at all.

On the contrary, it's very hard for some people not to just consider anyone an option if it keeps them from being single.

I find it funny (and not singling you out here) when someone thumps their chest about how cool they are because they are not with anyone.

I have seen people say they prefer it, but I don't recall them saying that they thought they were cool.

Yes, I'd rather be single than in an abusive relationship - who the hell wouldn't?

You'd be surprised that some would rather put up with crap than be "alone". While some would never consider staying with someone who treats them like crap - plenty feel that it's better than having no one.

Relationships (good ones at any rate) take work. Lots of it. People don't want to work for them - they'd much rather have Ms/Mr Perfect just gently fall into their laps.

I'll work for something I want. If I want a certain kind of relationship my selection is just as important as the work I'm willing to do. If all I want is to avoid being single, I'll consider damn near anyone. It's more work to keep a relationship that's bad for you going than to stay by yourself, sure. I think that's the main point people are making.
 elklover13
Msg: 153
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/18/2013 1:41:35 PM
I am a loner because I choose to be. I work 5 days a week 40 hours a week and I never get weekends off so I am never available for most women. It isn't hard to be single. It is hard to ask a woman out. Easy for the woman to say yes or no. In my case I have ask out over 50 women and had them all tell me no. It is not like I didn't try.
 sigungq
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/18/2013 4:46:06 PM
Some of us loners wish we could have had relationships, but missed out (for whatever reason). Personally, I never found a woman who didn't already have an SO. At this point, while I wouldn't turn down a relationship, I probably wouldn't even know what to do with one, once I was involved. I feel like I'm getting past the point where I should even be looking anymore.
 cesska
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/18/2013 8:19:10 PM
when are you happiest?
I am happiest alone.
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/20/2013 11:55:50 AM
It seems to me with all that I have read here and in other forum threads as well as profiles.All the ones being in relationships have learned so much and state they know what they're looking for and won't put with.It's a good chance it won't be long before they actually will know what it's like to be alone.
 m14shooter
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/22/2013 5:35:28 PM

OP, I'm 47, never dated, never married, never had a relationship. Although, I would like to have one. I just have never asked a woman out who said yes yet.

From reading your profile you should read Emotional Intelligence, it could help you relate to others to where she will say yes.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 158
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/24/2013 7:58:31 AM

All the ones being in relationships have learned so much and state they know what they're looking for and won't put with.It's a good chance it won't be long before they actually will know what it's like to be alone.

People who are loners are already comfortable with their own company - so they will be better prepared for being single for life if that's what happens. In fact, they prefer it to being with someone just for the sake of it.

Ahhh, the old threat of aloneness if you don't compromise yourself enough. You're never alone unless you end up somewhere there are no living things. Are you saying that these people should date people they may not even like so they don't (GASP) end up by themselves?
 deerdog1
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/24/2013 9:17:44 AM
the first and most prominent red flag I see when looking for a woman on POF to date is when she list long term relationship as her goal .. not so much when just chosen as what she is looking for ..but when it stressed so much she includes it in her description..second red flag is when she stresses a disinterest in sex ... Let me explain I too have dreams of meeting Ms right and spend a life time in a blissful relationship...

but that being said what I really want is to meet a woman who has met me cant live without me ..rather than one who is seeking a relationship..and I have found that just when a relationship was least important in my life ..thats exactly when a relationship found me ..harping on wanting long term just reeks of wanting a relationship regardless of who its with .. and feeling that they have to mention that they wont have sex in a certain time frame reeks of using sex as bait for said relationship

for me a woman that has sex with me on the first date while making it evident that the reason she is having sex is because she is so attracted to me she cant hold back .is a much better catch than the woman who wont even mention sex without a commitment or for a certain time frame

and my hard limit red flag is these women who whatever the time frame for sex ..they think that its instant commitment /relationship has been implied ..even when it has not been discussed ..one woman I dated from POF comes to mind .. we chatted and made a date .. we went out and I was intrigued.. we ended up at her house and had fantastic sex ..and slept in each others arms ..next day im thinking ..Ive fell into something good !!..lol well evidently she was thinking the same thing ..lol. I called her and asked her out for the weekend ..and she invited me back to her house for dinner ..I accepted ..everything was going great till I had to use the bathroom ..in her bathroom was my own toothbrush labeled .. towels ,bathrobe and house slippers no less..monogrammed with my name on them ..well the walls started closing in and I had to run ..I made an excuse and hit the door running ..a few weeks later she was telling what a player I was ..I never discussed any commitment with her but it was on my mind ..if she had just waited a few weeks the towels and bathrobe may have been in order
 Meeting_At_The_Crossroads
Msg: 160
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/24/2013 1:47:42 PM
As a single person, I am often asked if I am happy. My response is that I am not unhappy.

Like most people, I believe that I would like to be in a good relationship. That said, I can not make that happen myself. I am still waiting for the right gal to come along. Perhaps she will; maybe it is not meant to be.

I also believe that everything happens for a reason.
 GJBrown
Msg: 161
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/24/2013 9:54:44 PM
I could be a Loner. But would probably still get a loyal dog to keep me company.
What did this have to do with Sex or Dating?!
 forumiteinca
Msg: 162
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/25/2013 11:01:12 AM
What gives? Luck has not been kind. Yet!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 163
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/25/2013 7:51:54 PM

I could be a Loner. But would probably still get a loyal dog to keep me company.

That would make you not a loner, as a loner you would only want company when you're in the mood for it, and that's rare and exhausts you quickly. Take it from me, a dog is a 24/7 obligation of attention - as a loner, it ain't easy dealing with that from humans, animals, house plants - you name it. Forced interaction can drive you crazy.

I got a dog for other reasons entirely, the fact that he needs so much attention is the downside to some degree. There are times I don't want to leave my house for two days. The dog forces me to. I'm not always a fan of it.
 forumiteinca
Msg: 164
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/27/2013 9:14:08 AM
From the newspaper cartoon For Better or For Worse...

AAAG!!!! There's no beer in the fridge. I can't smoke anymore... what's happened to me? I used to be free!

No hassles, no curfews, no ties! You can't do this to me, Georgia! You're turning me into...

... GASP ! ... NO ! NOT !... NOT!.... DOMESTICMAN !!
 Walts
Msg: 165
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/28/2013 5:59:42 AM

No one is "strong enough to be independent". How hard is it be single? Seriously. You make it sound like it's a badge of honour not to be in a relationship, when it's takes no work at all.

It isn't for a lot of people to be "single" AND HAPPY!!!!!! As others have said, when a society stares down on someone and is constantly questioning why you are "not with someone", it can be actually pretty wearing.

I can understand both sides of the fence here. Many people have a basic need to be around others to "feel" good/be part of something, and can't even fathom the thought of not being "social". Meeting with "friends"(a whole other thread in itself) for coffees, shoot the shiat,etc. It's part of "them". Others, like me, don't have that constant "need". This "not needing" is also a "part" of me. But, some of both sides of this fence can't see or even come close to"understanding" how the other side can do it. Which is understandable in itself. One group is too busy hanging around people and the other side are by themselves most of the time.
 Crystal_Planet
Msg: 166
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/28/2013 7:20:19 AM
So you think in the final analysis, it is easier to be in a relationship, than to to be alone?

"Society". Pfft. I've read enough on here to know if people don't give a tinker's cuss about what a potential partner thinks of them, they sure as hell won't care about society's opinion.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 167
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/28/2013 8:11:34 AM

So you think in the final analysis, it is easier to be in a relationship, than to to be alone?

Many people feel that being in a relationship means there's nothing wrong with them. Many people also think being in a relationship requires no work at all, and they won't do much while in one after they establish it.

So sure, just as much it's work to be in one as it is to be (healthy) single, if you are willing to do any work.
 Walts
Msg: 168
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/28/2013 12:07:00 PM

I wouldn't go as far to say that but, I do know of people that are in relationships only because of the other option.

Being single and staring at the mirror.

Standing alone, facing whatever ya should be facing, without that "support" or "pat on the back" from someone else TELLING you that you'll be okay.

Some find that VERY hard to do, if not an impossibility for them.

Do you not know people that seem to be in a never ending cycle of relationships? How about the person that has been married 3-4 times???? I suggest there is something amiss in this kinda scenario, and can be straightened out with a little(a lot?) "alone" time.

FEAR is also part of the reason why some "have" to be in a relationship of some sort. Again, I know of people that have never been by themselves since they had their first highschool crush. Scarey stuff, especially as years start adding up and our "number" of choices get smaller and smaller.
 Gideon_70
Msg: 169
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/28/2013 12:07:32 PM
Nope. I was married once for seven years, then a second time for eight. I built homes, families, and entire lives that she ripped to shreds when she left. It only takes being stabbed in the back a couple of times before you just say, "Screw It."

Been single now for over ten years. Not been on a dozen dates in that time, and they were nice, but nothing I wanted to keep going with. I would settle for the right woman, but she would damned well have to talk me into it. heck, I don't even want the complications involved in having sex. The first couple of years was rough, but I'm good with it now.

Seriously? I've found that US women are lazy, selfish, egocentric, and absolutely terrible wives. and would only date someone that proved to me that she was different.
 aquila75
Msg: 170
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 12/29/2013 8:08:43 PM

Seriously? I've found that US women are lazy, selfish, egocentric, and absolutely terrible wives. and would only date someone that proved to me that she was different

You have perfectly encapsulated the entire zeitgeist. I would add to your list materialistic and superficial and the picture is complete. I am gradually seeing women as men wearing skirts, they act and think like us but they have chosen the worst traits in the average corporate yuppie

^^^I guess this thread was getting too sane so let the insanity begin.
 wooweewoo13
Msg: 171
Loners - what gives ?
Posted: 2/12/2014 3:44:17 AM
Hes been by himself to long as Ive met the same with woman......while Ive been married bfore for some time....and prob wont do it again am not against being with a woman in a committed relationship.....I do like committment and still beleive in monogamy......but in the dating world I see a change in even my age group....as in cerial daters.....wierd
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >