Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Would you go to a restaurant and eat alone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cartographer
Msg: 76
Would you go to a restaurant and eat alone?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I do it a lot. There are some good places around here, and I look at it as a potential way to meet new people. It at least gets me out in the open.
 carpaccio
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Would you go to a restaurant and eat alone?
Posted: 6/3/2006 4:15:27 PM
I do it all the time. I don't understand why it's such a big deal for so many people.
 IQ
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/3/2006 4:25:14 PM
Not very likely.
 Rayster
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/3/2006 4:34:25 PM
because I don't like to cook and be in the house alone
 pesiboy
Msg: 80
Posted: 6/3/2006 4:52:41 PM
when I am a hungry critter I dont care to have company, I look at it this way there is nothing wrong dating or having some time with your self once a week.
 Wildcard74
Msg: 81
Posted: 6/3/2006 5:15:47 PM
No, I've done so..........Millions of times.

Some of us are loners........

I can't fathom why people don't understand the fact that actual "loners" do exist. Not everyone has a girlfriend, wife, or friends readily avaliable.

Yes, some people do eat alone. And I am one of them and I will do it again. And get this, some of us "loners" actually go to the movie theater alone. Who would have thought !
 Torkidon
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/3/2006 5:21:11 PM
not really i eat at restaurants by myself about 3/4's of the time doesnt seem strange at all
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 83
Posted: 6/3/2006 5:31:52 PM
Absolutely. I do it a lot and have done so for years. In fact while I was married preferred to go out alone!

On a Satruday night back about 1997, I went into a nice Italian restaurant in a very Italian area of Cleveland called Murray Hill. I was seated at a table and two minutes later, a girl came in solo and was seated at a table just 2 tables away. I watched for a minute or two to see if a date would be joining her. She was alone. I went over to her, said hello and words to the effect that I couldn't believe she was there alone and not with a date, and she laughed and said "I might say the same about you." I invited her to join me, we had dinner (dutch), then went to a club nearby for some jazz after dinner, and dated maybe 10 more times after that.

For the record, that hasn't happened again since....
 couldberisky
Msg: 84
Posted: 6/3/2006 5:43:18 PM
absolutely!! grab a newspaper or a magazine, lay it out in front of you, order whatever you like and take your time. i do it all the time..i've never considered not doing it. geez..some people out there actually think thats strange??????????
 darkchoice1
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2006 6:41:04 PM
I don't have any problem with that. It doesn't matter to me if I'm having dinner on a cruise boat, nice restaurant, or your local applebee's. I like to be around people without having to necessary interacting directly with people at times. Some of the places that I've been to alone has been concerts, movies and amusement parks, I have lots of friends that I spend time with, but I like to be independent and do my own thing. Enough said!
 Plugar
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/3/2006 6:48:48 PM
As a guy,I can only say.Have buffet,will eat.
 ButterflyDee
Msg: 87
Posted: 6/3/2006 6:58:02 PM
For a long time I wouldn't even dream of it...now I enjoy it. It really is an empowering and liberating feeling. I didn't realize until I left my ex and was kind of pushed into having to do these types of things alone...and now I'm grateful that I was pushed because I realized that if I can't or don't want to keep myself company or treat myself to an evening out then how can I expect anyone else to want to. It does feel a little weird at first but stick with it because in time and with practise, your confidence in yourself will grow and believe me people will notice and you will feel so much better about yourself in general.... you go girl!
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/3/2006 7:12:06 PM
Geeze! We are talking about eating a plate of frickin' food here. Go in, sit down like you own the place, and enjoy people waiting on you and catering to your every need.
 designingwoman
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2006 7:16:05 PM
No, it's boring. Unless I am stoping at McD's between errands I am not going to dine alone. Going to a nice restaurant by myself is no fun! I like the conversation and being with someone when I go to a nice restaurant.
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 90
Posted: 6/3/2006 7:22:43 PM
Oh, I see.

Talking....... Like that "How was your day" stuff?

I don't go to really nice restaurants alone because I am too cheap to spend that much money on a meal for myself that I can probably make better and in larger quantity for the same money.

(I am a GREAT cook.)

Much rather grill my own steak, make my own pasta sauce, my gumbolaya.....
 BadBrain
Msg: 91
Posted: 6/4/2006 8:22:59 PM
I don't eat out alone b/c it feels strange, I LOVE going to the movies alone! This way there is no debate, no ridicule, I get to watch what I want to watch!
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2006 12:06:42 AM
Not by choice. It usually happens to me when I travel - and have unsuccessfully tried to have someone (at whatever event I'm attending) join me (separate checks of course). However, when home (i.e. not travelling), I would rather eat at home than eat alone in public.
 claypot
Msg: 93
Posted: 6/5/2006 12:27:37 AM
Times have changed for sure! When I was first divoiced, it took alot for me to go in alone, but then it was strange for a female to sit and eat alone.(20yrs ago)

Then it became not so hard to accept, BUT, now if you were single, you(or myself) were seated in a very small out of the way place, where the servers passed you by non stop.

Then of course the majority of the servers were female, once being a server myself for many yrs. The attitude of female serving female isn't the greatest. Most females back then were not so good tippers, myself I tip well because I know first hand what a pain in the butt it is. But the tip also has to be earned, if they approach me with that "oh sh*t" attutide, then guess what, you'll get it right back. On the other hand, pleasant and responsive to my simple requests, then I'll make their day.

Now a days, I don't think twice about it, and speak up when it comes to where I'm to be seated.

The worst part for me was the movies, only did it once, that was enough.
 EbonBetta
Msg: 94
Posted: 6/5/2006 12:43:53 AM
I have been to restaurants and movies alone. I have even made trips to Las Vegas alone. I just make sure I have something to keep me entertained. I used a sidekick II so I can surf if I wish. I also will take writing pads to write on, or novels to read. I do not have any close friends whom wish to go so I refuse to stay in all the time alone.
 n-r-gizer bunny
Msg: 95
Posted: 6/5/2006 12:46:03 AM
I don't have a problem with that! I have been stood up and decided heck why not grab a meal now since I have to eat. I have done it lots of times, I am not a huge fan of the golden arches and because I do a lot of volunteer work I often find it will be too time-consuming to race home, make dinner and arrive for a shift. Of course I prefer to have company but sometimes it is a last minute decision; or I have spent the afternoon shopping and find I am getting testy ... nice to sit down and relax, and people watch.

Movies ... yep I have gone solo too. I have gone to a movie on both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. I am always surprised at how many other people are there too! I never check to see how many are single - I am there to see the movie. But I definitely will have to go to more weekend matinees.

Cheers!
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 96
Posted: 6/5/2006 5:16:18 AM
This thread reminds me of the Seinfeld where Elaine says "It's better than sitting in the restaurant alone like some LOSER...." (Elaine was the exact opposite of a woman I would date. Smart mouthed, pompous, arrogant.... there's only room for one of those in a couple, and that'd be me!)

Dining alone doesn't make you anything more than hungry.

If that logic would apply, what would it mean when my buddy and I go out out to kill the Chinese buffet? That we are a gay couple? First of all, if I was gay, I could do a LOT better than him. Second, it's usually also to talk about an upcoming event and working out travel and such (we stage and run eating competitions some). That way it's a business dinner and we can write it off.

As far as having company, sometimes that's overrated too.
 sammys_mom
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/5/2006 6:23:47 AM
I know lots of people who would never ever go out alone. I don't see why not though, I guess it's insecurity. I enjoy going out alone out to eat to a movie whatever, I don't have much time to do that so I enjoy the time I get.
 KrissiNJ72
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2006 6:31:42 AM
I like to go out alot by myself....my children drive me insane so sometimes I just need a few drinks
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 99
Posted: 6/5/2006 7:27:52 AM
No I wouldn't, not because it would seem strange, but rather, what would be the point? To me going out to eat is mainly to enjoy another person's company. If I just need food, I will get carry out, or buy food and cook it at home. You don't have to get fast food to get carry out.
 biginvt
Msg: 100
Posted: 6/5/2006 7:37:01 AM
Me to i eat alone, go to bar's allso, fall asleep at movies so hate to go at all.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Would you go to a restaurant and eat alone?