Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > What type of traveller are you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 simplybefree
Msg: 26
What type of traveller are you?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
C0ckroaches...yeah...hate them too...once slept in a hotel that was infested with them in San Jose, Costa Rica...I slept with the lights on to make sure they stayed in the walls while I cought up with my much needed beauty sleep. lol When I gazed over to my friend's bed, she was all wrapped up in her mosquito net (they didn't have any hooks to hang them) for double action protection! lol~
 trmas
Msg: 27
What type of traveller are you?
Posted: 7/1/2006 8:05:59 AM
I try to take a true vacation twice a year. Usually tropical, with snorkeling and scuba diving. I also get spoiled traveling a lot for work, but usually that is just within the United States. Stay at lots of nice hotels, but try to get out and experience the city in the evenings.

A week or two in Mexico on the coast is an excellent travel destination for those looking for a good time on a budget. Service is fantastic, and everything is cheap.
 daws
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/3/2006 12:32:14 AM
I prefer traveling with someone else whom I can share the experience with. All inclusive I have found really limits you. If you spent the money you feel obligated to eat at the resort even if the food sucks(eg. mexico).
i went to thailand and just traveled around with my my buddy and had a much more memorable experience then any all inclusive trip had to offer. Meeting the people and learning about the cuture where ever I visit is what intrigues me.
 roxanne1652
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2006 1:47:58 AM
I am totally adaptable! I do cheap real well--I went to France about 5 years ago--I watched the Washington Post for a couple of months (I was bored) and saw the tickets go down to $99/each way. I KNOW!!!! Also in their travel section, they had an ad "Live in a villa" in Italy, Spain, France, etc. (The only reason I picked France was because those were the cheapest tickets. See? Told you I was adaptable!)

Anyway, I called about these "villas" and rented a house in Normandy for a week and one in the south of France (me thinking that they were talking Riviera; turns out the Alps are also in the south of France.) But, again, I am adaptable! Probably should have looked at a map before I went . . . . The houses were beautiful--the one in Normandy must have been a couple hundred years old and it was kind of like a little village or something all by itself--there was a barn, a couple houses, a pool (but I went in February) and I was the only one there. It was heaven--as peaceful as I could have dreamed of. And having had kind of a rough winter before that, it was exactly what I needed.

The houses (both were 3-bedroom) cost about $400/wk., which was great, as I didn't need to eat out all the time. And when I got to them, they both had fresh flowers, a fire in the fireplace, and a bottle of wine waiting for me.

The other week I was there I spent in Paris or on the road at hotels.

I rented a car and asked them for the smallest, cheapest one and got a brand new Peugot (sp?).

So I cheaped out on all of that, but then could afford to eat in a 4-star restaurant and pretty much go and do whatever I wanted to.

It was great! Since I had all of these beds, I invited everyone I know to come on over, and between working and not having passports (were none of these people Boy Scouts?) only one friend came for a long weekend.

I do think that "adaptable" is the only type of traveler to be. Whatever, it works for me!
 trucndbabe-taken
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/30/2006 4:40:11 AM
I would love to go away for a long time... that would be awesome
 blueeyeddvl
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/31/2006 12:41:56 PM
Most of my trips are usually between 1-2 weeks and I have tried everything from the All Inclusive resorts to backpacking as well. Although when I went backpacking I was with my gf and we wanted some privacy so we stayed at cheaper hotels/guesthouses where we had our privacy.

Went 6 weeks to South East Asia and had a great time backpacking, meeting up with people on the same route and learning about the different cultures and foods.

Plan is every 2nd year to take about 5-6 weeks to go somewhere exotic and imerse ourselfs into their culture and daily life. Too bad we have to work other wise we'd be travelling almost the whole year at a time.
 Joilyn99
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/31/2006 4:27:27 PM
I guess carefree n fun. lol
 bikerfred
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/4/2006 10:33:56 AM
I like to travel light on my motorcycle. Camping or staying in hotels are both fine. I enjoy seeing natural beauty like waterfalls or even historic places. I have traveled to many placed but the mountians of Western North Carolina are the best in my opinion.
 nontangent
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2006 6:44:03 PM
Get the cheapest ticket you can find on the internet (this will actually dicate where your next vacation will be), pack the backpack with 2 changes clothes, 2 t-shirts, couple of travelogues, phrase book in native language, cash, expired credit cards (for those random police stops) and hit the road. Youth hostels, B&B, private houses. The hotels just seem to be way too sterile, you'll never meet those oddities of the road staying in a 5 star. Avoid cities - seek out the small towns and hamlets. Don't let constraints of language disuade your decision to go - might be a little scary at first, but you can get by with charades. "A bed, beer and a bus" is just about the extent of required fluency in any country.

You'll have some great memories. And if you go on the cheap, you can take at least twice the vacations each year!

someotherdude
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/5/2006 10:38:27 AM
Places I would never go on vacation are:

Bahamas, Jamaica and Mexico off the top of my head.

If I was going to the Caribbean, I'd go to one of the Dutch Islands (St. Maarten, Aruba, Curacao) or maybe the US Virgin Islands.

It really depends what you like though. In Jamaica and Mexico you will get hassled non stop anywhere you go (you want taxi? weed? coke? girls? boys? silver?) and they will undoubtedly try to overcharge you for everything you could imagine.

The Bahamas are just sketchy. All resorts, or places you don't want to be when it is dark.

But, everyone is different.
 roxanne1652
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2006 3:47:55 PM
I know--you didn't ask me, but I'll chime in anyway!

In my book, no sane woman would go to South Korea. (Or man, however they tend to overlook sanity issues with men; oh hell, they tend to overlook ANYTHING re: men!!)

I know, I touted my adaptability, but Korea strained my limits. It exceeded my bounds.

It sucked. Fortunately, I went there to teach English and not on a vacation.

(Every other place I've been to has been lovely, though.)
 someotherdude
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/8/2006 3:27:46 PM
It depends where you go or what you want to do. I know people that have gone to resorts in Jamaica and had a great time, but I'm not really into that kind of thing.

Also, I was in Ocho Rios when I went there, it's a dump. Might have skewed my perspective.

Most of the Caribbean is poor. It's nothing like you think it will be if you've never been there.
 fire n ice
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/13/2006 5:53:51 AM
Long stretch
No agenda
North
 airplane_geek
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/13/2006 2:55:21 PM
I've done just about everything except stay in a luxury hotel for a while. I'm looking for a sugar mamma to help me check that box!

I prefer to go somewhere for four-five days and stay somewhere nice- not a roach motel and not a place with a doorman. Somewhere firmly implanted in the middle with a bunch of little extras- wireless internet, a maid that shows up once a day (you'd take that for granted, but it doesn't always happen), complimentary breakfast, a 24-hour kitchen/restaurant is nice but not required.

Sometimes, I like to just go camping for the weekend. My standards mentioned above go out the window for a couple days of roughing it.
 A.J.R.
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/14/2006 12:22:09 PM
I think im a litlte bit of everything. I have a taste for all kinds of travels and adventurs! So i guess that would make me the adventurous kind? Im young, so i find myself right now, at this point in my life, wanting to do the backpack roughin it experience...and taking the road less traveled. Theres so much out there to see and do, and learn!! Im actually in Chile, SA now for the summer and loving it!
 Exploring Sudbury
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/14/2006 3:44:39 PM
If it won't fit in a back pack I probalby don't need it. I travel light. Besides, you can always buy clean underwear!
 CandyxxxBabe
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/19/2006 7:12:14 AM
I like to travel for a week or so to somewhere warm ex. Mexico for a vacation to get away from the city.
Posted: 8/20/2006 4:24:27 PM
Less developed, southern, medium budget.

Less developed: I just hate fake things, and things less-developed areas are more down-to-earth.

Southern: I like warm weather.

Medium Budget: I like the challenge of seeing what accomodations I can come up with that are a little off the beaten path. Once in Mexico, stayed in a REALLY cheap, older motel for about $10 one night, in the state of Nayarit. Looked JUST like something from a Clint Eastwood movie, I kid you not. Stone walls, stone floors, stone shower, stone toilet, HUGE wooden door with some kind of ring clasp. TOO totally cool. No hot water, and I did my laundry with a mexican lady in the enclosed courtyard on a stone washstand BY HAND, lol!! And hung it out on lines, still there in the courtyard. I was euphoric. LOVED loved loved that place.
 Rfreightliner
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/21/2006 8:23:40 PM
Hello, i am a travler that goes all over the untied states,, i have been to all 48, east to west, north to south and in between, i drive a truck and have seen a lot of the u.s.a, i enjoy almost everthing i have seen, there is a lot to learn out there, have heard scames about it all. i need this i need that , but most of all i love going to the west coast!!!! i drive a truck so i get to go to a lot of places...
 burtpicton
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/25/2006 4:34:18 PM
I used to check out the last minutes and the all inclusives until I discovered scuba diving . Now i check out the air only last minutes to scuba diving destinations such as Bay Islands of Roatan Honduras , Belize, Cozumel, Bonaire , remote parts of Cuba , San Andres Columbia and stay in beach cottages. Shop at the local grocery , drink at the local watering holes and practice my poor spanish. I wish i could travel for longer durations than 2 weeks but my business back home would suffer and we all know it takes money to play .
 captnjimbo
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2006 11:32:55 AM
I guess one would describe me as a real stay-at-home traveller. I always sail my own boat and stay on it wherever I go. Needless to say, everywhere I go is accessable to the oceans. Usually visas are not expensive and are good for 6 months so that's about my stay. I can return in the future, usually after about a 6 month absence. It's cheap as there are no lodging expenses. I eat the local food, drink the local drinks, and mingle with the local cultures, learn the language. Avoid the touristy stuff. Just don't have any problems. Oh, and I'm usually gone for several years. Plan on leaving again in the spring. I'm thinking Greece sounds good for next summer! The summer after that maybe the South Pacific.
 akula
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/6/2006 2:17:46 PM
my next sailboat will tell me what kind of traveller i am.the first one didnt sink so i guess i was doing ok.lol

sailing has a nordic qwality to it.
 NotTheAverageChick
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/8/2006 6:48:01 PM
I'm the Extraordinary Ordinary working woman still paying off Student Loans kind of traveller. In other years, I was too afraid to travel outside the country alone because I don't have a great support system in case of emergencies. But, I've done a few weekend getawasys relatively to home an usually stay in neighborhood motel for $30 - $50 a night. Sometimes, there have been hookers next door but most times they're just modest abodes. I'm only there to sleep safely and shower cleanly (I don't unpack). But, I like to drive most places (or rent a car) because I don't want to only see the tourist areas. I much prefer the local Mom-n-Pop diners where I can meet and talk with locals and find the off-the-beaten-path adventures. I've been to some kinda scary neighborhoods but I can honestly say that I've never had anything 'criminal' happen to me while vacationing. That's why I took the plunge and went to Cancun alone earlier this year.

Mexico was absolutely great, stayed in another modest hotel, took the bus for $.65 each way. At the local food in the outdoor food courts and drank the juices (and didn't get sick!!). I even found romance! I had a little problem getting a local TimeShare company to honor the Outdoor Park ticket I bought. But, I reverted to true Detroit Chick-mode (a couple of well-placed M&*&therF(#%'ers, the words "La Policia Federales") and the problem was handled 'with the quickness'.

Since, then I've been to Niagara Falls and down to Florida (btwn Sarasota and Ft. Meyers) and even I drove across the Everglades to Miami (to eat at Emeril's restaurant). I spent $78 for lunch there, left and got a Cuban carryout for $10 that was far superior!

But, it's been a good travel year for me and I'm very happy for the experience. Next trip: Puerto Rico in Mar/Apr '07.
 Ibooo
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/10/2006 12:06:10 AM
Dear sir/madam

Why dont you come to rep, of maldives. Just visit see the beauty of islands.

I am here to help you.

Best regards

Ibrahim adam
00960 7746882
 Ibooo
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/10/2006 12:09:25 AM
Dear sir/madam

you can come to rep, of Maldives. Maldives is island state and the temperature is very good. If you interetested to come p/s contact me. you can mail me ibooo_is at hotmail.com

Best regards

Ibrahim adam
Rep, of Maldives
00960 7746882
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > What type of traveller are you?