Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Wrong ways to raise a kid      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 packagedealx3
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Wrong ways to raise a kidPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Guess what? I am a stay-at-home mother who works from home so I sort of have both things. One of the best summers we had was a few years ago. I wasn't working that much and we were going to Fossil Rim, the zoo, the museums, swimming, and each and every trip involved screaming and all of the other fun stuff that is requried to get three children out of the house. Margoe, there is not one thing that you listed that was a "bad mistake," because most of them have been made in some form or another by every parent. Concentrate on what Maya Angelou says, when you know better, you do better. Your children need you as much when they are older as they do when they are young and one of the best things you can do when the children start having their own is to quietly encourage them to avoid some of the pitfalls, let them know you wish you had done better in certain areas. They will be much more conscious of the way they parent and you will enjoy good relationships with your children and grandchildren.
 Diggy03
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Wrong ways to raise a kid
Posted: 6/7/2006 11:59:57 AM
it's about praising moms who do better than I did when I had a job.

Each and every parent who is doing it all on their own is doing the best they can with what they have. No one is parenting any better or worse than you are/did. STOP beating yourself up for this. Your children will understand one day why things were the way they were and thank you for being in their life.

Hindsight is always 20/20.. what you deem as mistakes aren't mistakes at all.. but rather what we all struggle with each and everyday, no matter what our situation.

If it helps I don't know a single woman who as a mother hasn't said at one point "I wish I had spent more time with my children when they were younger."

I know it's cliche... when life tosses you lemons, squish the juice into squirt guns and squirt the negative people in the eye

At the end of the day none of this nonsense matters. Look at the positive. Your children are healthy and happy. They had a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs and food on the table. And they had a mom who cared and loves them. A mom who has always been and will always be there for them.

Edit: If only children would be born with an instruction manual... life would be so much easier!!
 missmom781
Msg: 14
Wrong ways to raise a kid
Posted: 6/8/2006 7:31:42 AM
You know what, I work and I don't do any of those things. If I say we are going to do something, we will do it. My oldest is nearly 8, he knows how to do basic chores, my oldest daughter is almost 4, and she helps bake and cook. I don't think anything listed has to do with a parent working, it's more to do with your parenting attitude and how high you held your morals. I don't make promises to my children I can't keep. If I do not have the money to do something, I tell them just that. I never say "later". If they want the zoo, and I don't have the money, we go to the park instead. If they want the park, and I don't have time, I tell them I am short on time and they need to pick something quicker, so let's go in the yard and play a few minutes. I'm not going to blow their child hood being worried about me and what I would rather do, before you know it they stop playing with you so they can go play with their friends, leaving you alone and bored. We do things with my friends and their kids, and have always done that, to encourage their social attitude, my children are both very friendly and popular, just like my other 2 will be when they get into school. Infact my 2 oldest childrens best friends are brother and sister. My son met his buddy in preschool and wasn't long until I met his buddys parents and buddys mother and I are now good friends and our daughters are now best friends and got so lucky as to go to the same teacher this year in preschool. I may work but I pour my 150% of myself into my children. That is my parenting attitude, I don't want them going off to college and leaving me only regrets.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Wrong ways to raise a kid