Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you like Emoticons? How much is too much?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vhdc
Msg: 4
Do you like Emoticons? How much is too much?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I agree with message #6. Great way too weed out the dorks. I just find them creepy and overused. I mentioned that to someone on here and they were mortally wounded (let me know just how childish a supposed adult can be). If you are unable to communicate with me without an emoticon, then don't.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Do you like Emoticons? How much is too much?
Posted: 5/7/2008 6:47:02 AM
Good God man. Men do not use smiley faces when communicating online. Keep it to business as usual.

Sez you.

Emoticons are very useful to understand the intent of someone's post. In real life, if you make a sarcastic remark followed by a smile, people know you're making a joke. Online, if you didn't follow it with a smiley, people would think you were just being mean.

It is irritating when people don't know how or when to use it.
 Vancer
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/7/2008 10:56:18 AM
The Emoticons are okay, but I like the Autobots better.
 Welsh474
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/13/2011 6:43:58 PM
I don't care if someone used 56 emoticons/smileys in their profile - I just stop reading and get off their profile. But can some of you who insist on using half a dozen of those little **stards in your forums posting please rethink this. Please think of your reading audience - they are annoying, break up the page and really, someone that is over 45 using emoticons/smileys - frig, really? And can't the mods send a private email to these folks saying "cut it out or cut down the number".
 cotter
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2011 5:16:52 AM
Use of emoticons depends on the type of thread it is. If it's a fun thread or funny ... lots of joking around, then why not use some emoticons?

The devil made me do that!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2011 11:29:48 PM
I like to make them tell a little story ... like there's a sad little emoticon sitting in the corner of a bar while the band plays ... and people are dancing and singing ... and getting drunk ... and ...

oh! I guess I don't NEED the emoticons ... I still think they're cute when not over-done!
 forumrun4
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/15/2011 12:09:05 AM
Actually, aside from them being kinda cute and funny

emoticons can spare you from typing

its a lazy way of writing ...thou a pic can tell a thousand words ...i think

maybe

on a lighter note...i have pms

g,nite
 CarKam1
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/15/2011 12:26:15 PM
I'm with Cowboy.

I can be sarcastic sometimes and people don't know if I am joking or not so I tend to throw in a keyboard smiley to reassure them no insult in intended. But I dislike the animated characters and cringe when I do a keyboard smiley and when I click 'send' it automatically turns into an animation.

I don't like when people over do it and I tend to skim over posts with not only an abundance of animated emoticons but with an abundance of CAPS.

And that dancing cucumber needs to be chopped up and thrown in a salad. JMO...
 KreweOf2
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/16/2011 2:14:09 PM
I love the emoticons and it's really a damper on my emails to not have them there.

Even worse is to use them in a forum post and then lose them on the edit. What's up with that??? Even if you fix the thing to be what the emoticon is, it just comes through as typed characters!!
 MondoVman
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2011 10:55:49 PM
^^^Hey Cruella. Start EVERY post with these 7 non-blank characters (i.e without the spaces):
[ b ] [ / b ]

You'll never "lose" an emoticon again.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you like Emoticons? How much is too much?