Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guy I met online keeps asking for money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Trishnaa
Msg: 29
Guy I met online keeps asking for moneyPage 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
What ever message you get from Africa is a scam.Period.Be it Nigeria(they are the leaders though),Liberia,Libya or Ivory Coast.If you are not sure if that country is in Africa or not, then contact me or look up on the world map.Simple as that.Also, be aware of the Russians too!
Any one from that region emailing for money are spammers.

~*Flavia*~
 rev0218
Msg: 30
Guy I met online keeps asking for money
Posted: 6/12/2006 4:43:07 PM
Yes POF also had somebody posing as women on this site. They have been removed. The first email I got was supposedly by mistake. Then came the suggestive photographs, then the marriage proposal, then some really hot photos, then another marriage proposal. I cut it off before the request for money came in. This person was supposedly in Nigeria on business. My guess mining old guys for money was her business.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/18/2006 9:51:25 PM
Happens to me all the time... meet these great women and all they do is ask me for money...lol... but seriously... this thing has got SCAM written all over it... block the loser and run a mile!!
 Mr. Right For You
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/18/2006 10:19:19 PM
Advance fee fraud, often also known as the Nigerian money transfer fraud, Nigerian scam or 419 scam after the relevant section of the Nigerian Criminal Code that it violates, is a fraudulent scheme to extract money from victims after making them believe they will get an immense fortune. Victims are requested to pay an upfront fee before their purported fortune is released. Advance fee fraud is a subtype of the confidence game commonly referred to as "The Spanish Prisoner." All con games of this type involve the mark making an upfront payment in order to secure the promise of a reward that is somehow tied up.

These scams have come to be associated in the public mind with Nigeria due to the massive proliferation of such confidence tricks from that country since the mid-eighties, although they are often also carried out in other African nations, including Togo, Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana, Benin, Liberia, Sierra Leone and South Africa, and increasingly from European cities with large West African populations, notably London, Amsterdam and Madrid, and lately also Dubai (United Arab Emirates) and Canada.

Originally, the schemers contacted mainly heads of companies and church officials. However, the use of e-mail spam and instant messaging for the initial contacts has led to many private citizens also being targeted, as the cost to the scammers to make initial contact is much lower.

Another recent variation of the scheme involves the use of fake cashier's checks to pay for high-value items in Internet auctions. The scammer sends a check for more than the purchase price asking that part of the money be forwarded to a 'shipper' or 'freight forwarder' after the funds have cleared. This will usually happen quickly as banking practice assumes that banks are liquid at all times and that there is no credit risk. The vendor will only discover that the check was fraudulent and the transaction has been voided a few days later, by which time the intermediary will in most cases have been paid.
 KarmicKiss805
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2006 10:23:21 PM
No mention of the obvious from me, you don't need to hear it again...
I'm with Chicago, I start messin with them. I especially love the one about how they went to Nigeria for work, their contract ended, they were going to fly out the next day and they got robbed and beaten up in their hotel room, now their ticket, money and everything else is gone, they are getting kicked out of their hotel room, so on and so on. I get that one at least once a week, and oh yea, whoever get's IM's from the African Prince, he's mine dammit, he messaged me first, said he was gonna make me his Princess... Please these stories are so phony and stupid, I just love fuqqin with them... Comeon, if everything is gone, how the hell are they getting online and talking to me??? Puh lease...
 Spywholuvsu
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/19/2006 6:16:47 AM
I don't know but my situation left me confused and hurt.

I met a guy and he wanted to see me exclusively and took his profile off. We were just together a little while when he asked to borrow money(4000.), and then when I couldn't he wanted me to ask my aging father. He also wanted to borrow some of my son's things (21 yr old son).

He didn't introduce me to people and he made me feel old, ugly and used. On top of everything he kept something that belonged to my mother that I accidentally left in his car. (my mother died recently)

I am a good person and didnt deserve this. And I told him to hit the road. But he wouldnt leave til the morning.

However, I do feel uncomfortable dating and I see him online here and wonder if he was just in a bad situation or if he really wanted to take what he could get from me.

I am not a perfect 10 but I am not a 0 either. I am a single mother who works hard and doesnt get child support for my son's who attend university. I dont have anything to give except love, friendship or a listening ear.

I yi yi.
 sillyatheart3
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/19/2006 6:20:32 AM
NEVER GIVE MONEY TO ANYONE NOT EVEN A FRIEND OR YOU WILL NOT HELP THEM IN THE END. A PERSON MUST LEARN TO WORK FOR THERE FOOD. YOUR THEY ARE HUNGRY.. SO DONT TAKE THIS AWAY. OR YOU WILL HURT THEM MORE.
 kamikazekate
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/19/2006 10:17:33 AM
what I can't believe is that you'd HAVE TO ASK! Is this a serious thread, or somebody just wanting to see how many people would post? I can't believe it's a real thread, it's such an obvious answer!

But: just in case the OP is that naive... BLOCK & REPORT THE GUY IMMEDIATELY! JEEZE!!
 KarmicKiss805
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2006 9:13:50 PM
So, is Toni waiting to get more responses from those of us that are neither naive nor insecure or any of the other terms people used on here, because Toni is really that guy from Nigeria who's been sending those e mails and messages and is simply compiling a list of people he couldnt otherwise convince of his stories?
All kidding aside, Toni, Tony, Tone'... Please don't feel you need to buy anyone's love or attention and don't ever let anyone intimidate you to the point of questioning your suspicions, gut feelings and decisions, they are there for a reason.
p.s. when you are paying for it, there's actually another term for it, and it's not love...
 Clelo
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2006 6:49:04 AM
Obiously your feelings are invested. I had the same situation twice from the same country. I just put them on the unwanted mail list. Do not chat with him,and in that way he can not ask you for money. Are you rich or something? If yes, help the children or the animals that can not help themselves. This man has some nerve. Does not even deserve an explanation. What are you going to say " sorry I work for my money, and you are a snake using the internet to manipulate lonely women who are desperetely looking company. I am not that desperate. I can find it for free". I think totally ignoring these so called "wise guys" is the best thing to do.
 Hedonist13
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/20/2006 10:49:43 AM
TRUST ME!!! From one woman to another, tell him the only thing you'll give him is the ' ping' sound from your aluminum baseball bat!

A woman's best friend is her bank account. As cynical as it may sound, it's the truth. DO NOT send this guy money! In fact, tell him to piss off and never contact you again!

IF YOU GIVE IN TO THIS LOW-LIFE, YOU CAN GO AHEAD AND MARK THIS DOWN IN YOUR DIARY AS ONE OF THE MOST FOOLISH THINGS YOU'VE EVER DONE.
 brokenbrains
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2006 8:23:28 AM
i have had a similar situation on yahoo, i was messaged by a guy who said he was american and in nigeria and didnt like it there and wanted help to get home, and could i send him money. For last 5 months on a daily basis i get messages off i think the same guy but changing names all the time with different scenarios but he is aways in nigeria, from the amount of messages i have seems like the population of usa are in nigeria working on contracts lololol, i know its a scam, but its a pain when people now message me and i think its him on a diff name. Now i just say im an immigration officer it seems to work
 brokenbrains
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2006 8:00:20 AM
Hahhaha these scammers say they are either US or British, but they type in pigeon english, you can tell staight off they are not american or english, from the way they type. I smell a rat now straight away, i used to think it was just the one person mailing me on different names but after reading all of this i can see its big business. I have been to nigeria and i have to say it is very third world there and very very poor, but nigeria is mostly catholic and christian but no morals when it comes to money and living. They all want to come to US or UK, they know the visa bride thing doesnt work so good now regarding immigration, so they are using the scams, but like someone said earlier, the vulnerable on here who maybe do not come to these sites to read, may be taken in by these as with the good looking pics they send,the offer of love etc and protray themselves as american/bristish, some women/men on here might actually believe them, but how do you stop them on here? block yes but there are hundreds of these a day.
 Dehm
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2006 8:07:05 AM
I say send him the money - but tell him to make sure that he sends you the 2000 you need to pay the lawyer to get into your trust fund...
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2006 8:28:07 PM
Is advice really warranted? Even a near perfect would have blocked this guy long ago if not reported the attempted scam.
 Huggablehottie
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/23/2006 10:09:05 PM
Don't be gullible, and don't feel guilty when you don't send him a cent, and block his
ass!!
Yes, these type of things have happened to me online.
I believe that he might be targeting you, because he may
expect a Christian to be "soft" and helpful!
He does not care about you at all.
There are so many liars from these countries, and it is awful how they tend
to use dating sites for scams!
Some offer you money, which they don't have, some ask for help in different
forms....
What is sad is that a lot of these scammers claim they are living in your country.
They usually use someone else's pics as their own!!
 Singlemale1962
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/30/2007 11:18:24 PM
They run several scams and not just nigerian

So far I have been ask for money or to work to take money for the following

1) The "My family has died in a car accident and I am the lawyer in charge of the money and I need to get it out of country.

2) Im an ex official in the Saddam Hussien government hiding in Syria and I need to move millions of dollars in Oil money out of swiss banks.

3) Im a polish soldier in Iraq who discovered a hidden gold stash and I need to sneak it out of Iraq.

4) Im a canadien spinster who's hubby just died in Nigeria and I need help to get his money.

5) Im the sole living heir to Ida Amin's fortune and I need to hide it from the Authorities.

6) My Estonia Company is blocked from getting US dollars. We will send you checks for thousands of dollars. You can keep 10% of the money all we need it you bank account numbers then mail us back the remainder in US cash.

Been several variants of the above. I get them regularily.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/31/2007 3:25:00 AM
Asking others for money shows a person with no dignity but asking a lady you are supposedly triing to meet for a relationship is totally shameless.
 spectrumAU
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2007 3:44:45 AM
If you want proof for yourself go to romancescam.com
Most of the photos the scammers use come from model sites like focusagencyhawaii.com the person in the photo is not the scammer, his photo has been stolen and used to suck in lonely people. They all end up in Nigeria with some sob story and have no-one but you to help them. Do not give him any contact details, and most certainly do not send money. Cease all contact and report him to the site administrators. These scammers are infiltrating all dating sites now so be aware.
 that sam i am
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/31/2007 9:32:18 AM
sounds like a scammer to me. by the way, can i have $500?
 Witchypoo
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/31/2007 9:40:57 AM
4th sentence and Nigeria pops up...... what a surprize, NOT!!! Wish the scam artists would leave world alone, especially the decent Nigerians who wouldn't think of doing this kind of crap. I have to admit though, if I ever get these kinds of strangers professing undying love for me after only seeing my picture, I have a tendency to fuk with their heads.

Just tell the poor ba$tard, that you'll be willing to be his friend and communicate with him but you're doing the christian thing by giving all your money to Jerry's kids. Watch how fast he disappears. What a world, what a world.

:))
Witchy
 decentandsexy
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/31/2007 9:47:48 AM
DON'T DO IT GIRL...THEY WILL TELL YOU ANYTHING.THEY WILL ASK YOU TO MARRY THEM.THEY WILL TELL YOU THEY LOVE YOU. AND THEN THEY WILL FORGET ABOUT YOU AFTER YOU HAVE SENT THEM MONEY....IT IS A SCAM...FORGET HIM....OUR DOLLARS IS WORTH MORE OVER THERE....GOOD LUCK..BLOCK HIM FROM YOUR IM
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guy I met online keeps asking for money