Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guy I met online keeps asking for money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~Juggernaut~
Msg: 201
Guy I met online keeps asking for moneyPage 9 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Are you an idiot ?
 vosche
Msg: 202
Guy I met online keeps asking for money
Posted: 5/21/2007 3:48:18 AM
its not just nigerians doing the scams..its a global problem.

i've received messages on online dating sites from men supposedly in the US where i am..they try to work on what they think are weaknesses. they assume everyone here is lonely and so desperate, that they try to build quick phoney romantic relationships with members, make promises about helping you, then they ask you for money..

i had one that was so busy trying to "work" me, that even tho i told him several times i'm poor as a church mouse, he was so busy working out each move to relieve me of money that he must have missed me saying i was dirt poor, then finally went into how he needed me to do him a favor and to take delivery of some purchases he'd made online because he was going out of the country.

20/20 did an expose on this exact scam not long ago. it works like this. victim agrees. phoney packages are delivered to victim, they have to sign for packages. there's some hidden small fee that has to be paid and by credit card only. they pay it, and wammo! the scammer has their card number. and more than likely knows enough about the vicitm from working them that the scammer can confidently perpetrate Identity theft as well as rack up credit card bills and empty the victims bank account(s).

the person that tried to scam me kept insisting on me giving my physical address. at the time i wasnt sure what he'd want that and i sure as heck wasnt gonna give it to some one i'd just started talking to online. i told him up front even if i gave it to him, there's nothing he could do with it, unless he's employed as emergency services or law enforcement. it cant be googled or "gps'd" because its a 911 enchanced emergency address number(i'm in a very rural area of my state and dont ask me to explain how it all works together cause i cant tell ya). he still persisted in his scam.

the things that gives them away before you even get emotionally invested are the following...

1)pics that look professionaly done.
2)talking to them is like trying to pull teeth out of their heads. its not a natural flowing conversation. we all know what one is.
3)they act and write like a door to door saleman who ignore every little personal detail you give them because they too busy working on their next move to bilk you out of your money
4)when you ask them direct questions, they dodge them and try to redirect the conversation back to you. its poorly executed because they end up asking you something they asked you 5 mins early instead of scrolling back thru thier script to see where they left off.
5) if they make it to this stage, then they start asking for money or a means to access it such as with the "delivery/favor" scam.

there is an exception to #1 i'm finding out. i came across someone at a site wearing of all things a superman outfit. it looked amature. but when i started talking to him something wasnt right. he told me his profession was in antquities. when i started asking how that relates to him, he said he imports and exports them. and at the time i spoke to him he said he was from south africa(he was caucasion). at this point he seemed genuine and so far everything seemed normal. when i pressed him a lil more asking about what kinds of antiques he deals in he kept dodging me and redirecting the conversation back to being about me. and several times he kept making the #4 move i explained. at this point i told him i couldnt speak to him anymore. something wasnt right and he seemed more like a scammer to me. while i was going thru the process of putting him on ignore in yahoo i got a message from him saying ok and he was gone. if he'd been genuine, he would have put up a better self defense. most of them just move on with barely an "ok" written like this guy did
 LadyNCuffs
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2007 3:55:24 AM
That's one of the oldest scams in the book. Any man OR woman who sends money to someone they've never met in person needs to have their head examined. Just use common sense!!!!!!!
 Annemac50
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2007 4:30:51 AM
This is something that has been happening for a while, not just on this site but on my space as well. i have had several emails from men and their profile says they are in one part of the United States but when you start talking to them they are in Nigeria doing either some type of Road work donstuction for a time or working in the oil fields. They start off by just being nice and friends and then you are their solemate and then after a period of time they hit you with something........its usually something bad that has happened and they always ask for money to come home and its always 500. that they ask for .....not alot just 500. Now i dont know about you but ive looked at the airline tickets and i cant get a ticket from upstate new york to california for 500. There was a show on Dateline or one of those shows that showed these men sitting in an internet bar and that is all they do all day from Nigeria is talk to women in the US and try to scheme them out of money. They target usually women that are overweight or in some way have a problem or so it seems, you know like me I am a widow. I have had one man say that due to the poverty situation that these men came in a robbed them at gunpoint and took all their belongings and hurt him and that he was using the Computer at the hospital that belonged to the doctor to try to find a way out of there and asked for 500. to "come home" as he said. Beware! I atold him to go fly a kite and so should you. It is either a way for them to scam money or they are subsidizing terrorism which in either case i dont want to be involved. I had one woman who saw that i was on the friends list of one of them, email me directly and she told me this guy i was talking to tried to scam her out of a lap top computer and that he was emailing ehr for months telling her he was in love with her and that she was his soulmate and she actually gave him her address and he sent her flowers and 2 money orders that valued 2100. and asked her to cash them and keep 1000 and send him the rest and the 1000 was for doing him that favor as he could not cash them in that country for one reason or another i am not sure what it was. She claims she took them to the bank and them to the FBI and i never heard what the outcome was but im betting they were frauds and he expectred her to put them into her bank accoount and send him the money and then after a few weeks that it would take to figure out they were no good, she would have been responsible for the money to the bank and would have been out the money she sent him. Be very careful and block him from sending you any further emails..that is what i did. It is very sad but we need to beware of any men on these sights!
 Nick Thinker
Msg: 205
Posted: 5/21/2007 4:40:21 AM

That's one of the oldest scams in the book. Any man OR woman who sends money to someone they've never met in person needs to have their head examined. Just use common sense!!!!!!!

100% agree and add the same "No" and cut off all links for someone they have even met in person (eg a date etc). When there is money talk, the prudent person walks .. AWAY!
 shrekslady
Msg: 206
Posted: 5/21/2007 4:54:22 AM
lmao...mine was an Independant International stock broker.....He was ohhh so sweet for 2 months...hahah still was actually....then he started asking for money...after he invested his 500,000....but he was still short a registration fee of 30,000...he wanted to give me the opportunity to participate in his success....hmmmm I went ....then he needed to get home from Africa so he could cash his cheque.....asked specifically this time for 200 dollars...and he would pay me back when he got back to the states....I guess he thought I FELL OFF THE TURNIP TRUCK......LMAO....he never got a penny from me....my son works in a financial institution..and said thay are called Nigerian schemes....they always seem to do it on messenger...never in email...ask questions ...you never get them answered!!!REPOT HIM.....REPORT HIM....EVERYWHERE YOU CAN WE ALL NEED TO STICK TOGETHER IN THIS....PHONE BUSTERS DEALS WITH INTERNET SCAMS TOO!!!!!!!
 happi2livelife
Msg: 207
Posted: 5/21/2007 4:55:36 AM
I see you started this sometime ago and have gotten plenty of replies. Your description of his actions was so well written that to those of us not right in the middle of it can easily see it for what it is. I do not think you are an idiot, naive, or any of the other negative things you have been labeled with in many of the responses. I find it refreshing there are still a few non-jaded souls out there that have compassion for others. I find it even more impressive that you had the sense to post a concern if something wasn't sitting right in your gut instead of allowing this predator to repeatedly and inappropriately contact you or even worse sending him the money he asked for.
 nigelwright
Msg: 208
Posted: 5/21/2007 10:23:46 AM
I have had loads of women from abroad ask me for money to come to England.
Quite a few wanted to marry me too.
 rurallife
Msg: 209
Posted: 5/21/2007 2:30:48 PM
my thoughts exactly!!! You need advice for this???????
 howaboutithoney
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2007 9:00:12 AM
There are lots of scams out there. Never give anyone a credit card no. or your bank account no. Be careful.

I had some guy say he was in Africa once and his son got sick & he asked me for money too. He came across like he was my best sweetheart too.
Beeeeee careful
 oggers
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2007 1:45:20 PM

Usually they say that they're stranded in Africa and need money to get home. One said she needed money to pay a lawyer.

Hey ! I had the exact same one !! Got mugged .. needed a lawyer.. etc etc ...

There is a guy online somewhere who basically tries to scam the scammers .. it is a very funny site that he runs , although there are one or two stereotypes that he uses ... these guys in Nigeria will go to AWESOME lengths to try to get your money .. DO NOT SEND !!! I think the site is "Ebolamonkey.com " or similar . Very funny
 oggers
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2007 1:51:29 PM
ooops ... its "ebolamonkeyman.com"

And lets get one thing straight - I am completely penniless , and I wont be asking ANYONE for a penny ....

Mind you, all voluntary donations gratefully received lol
(woooooahhhh ............... JOKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!! )
 vanillaman
Msg: 213
Posted: 5/25/2007 3:03:47 AM
This guy sounds despicable. I presume you've tried blocking him from contacting you? Failing that, threaten him with legal action, but bluff as much as you can to scare the hell out of him.

I'm sure you'll find the answer you want in this forum, as there are bound to be many people here who are more expert and experienced.

However, i could accuse you of being too niave, but there seems to be more to it than that, but then again, deception is to be expected with online dating. Good luck with losing this crettin......
 bobfederal
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2007 7:18:51 AM
I 'met' a woman this way. She said she is a doctor from Russia, and sent me a new photo every day. The first thing I noticed was the photos were numbered 001, 002, etc. The lighting was too perfect for amature photos. One setting was in a cafe, one just a head shot, etc.
She asked me to visit her or wanted to know if she should visit me. She was beautiful and naturally I was hoping she was real, but I did a google search on her and discovered she was pulling a scam.
She eventually asked me for money for a flight to America. I learned from others that her next step was to ask for more money because she gets into a car accident on the way to the airport... and it goes on.
You are being scammed...
 kchin63
Msg: 215
Posted: 5/18/2008 6:09:05 PM
I met several guys this way. I started talking to a guy from England that said he was a Civil Engineer on a contract in England. We chatted for a good 2 weeks then he said his son was in the hospital because he got electrocuted by plugging in a game system into a wall and said he was unconsious. He then said he needed money for the doctors to take care of him. At that time I realized it was a scam - so I played along with it for a few days -then I told him I tried to get him a loan but the bank turned me down. I didn't hear from him again until a month later. Again, I played along with him and he said he was trying to get to the states because his contract was up and he found someone to send me money so that I can send it to him. I gave him my work address and lo and behold I received 2 money orders for $950 each. I took them to this check cashing place that I go to and asked the guy there if they were stolen and he said they were fake. What this guy wanted me to do was deposit them in my checking account (which I don't have) and wire him the money then once the bank finds out they are fake then they deduct the money from my account. Of course I didnt fall for it - I messaged the guy and told him I am not that stupid to think he was serious and that I reported him to the local police. I havent heard from him since. During all this time there were 3 other guys that I was chatting with that eventually asked me for money to come back to the states.....I seriously think it is the same guy.......Rule of thumb to ALL men and woman - DO NOT EVER SEND ANY MONEY TO ANYBODY NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU....ITS ALL A SCAM......

Good luck to everyone in their hunt for true love. I too have not found my love yet, but I am not going to give up just yet.
 kchin63
Msg: 216
Posted: 5/18/2008 6:12:03 PM
Oh yea one more thing - I didn't give him my address - I gave him my work address.......(See above story).

What can he do with my work address? I hope nothing....
 Gal-ileo
Msg: 217
Posted: 5/18/2008 6:16:33 PM
Didn't you read the disclaimer not to send anyone money when you signed up?

The rest has already been said......
 gogogizmobile
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2008 8:03:50 AM
Nigerians!! World renowned scam artists. Very handsome, intelligent people, but also shameless & cunning. Always just tell anyone who asks you for money, nope..sorry..no can do..& block. Quite simple.
 1missblueeyes
Msg: 219
Posted: 5/20/2008 8:30:06 AM
He's a golddigger who's trying to get money out of you and he's verbally abusive to boot. I wouldn't give him the time of day. I'd dump his loser ass!
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 220
Posted: 5/20/2008 8:35:38 AM
The OP wrote this TWO YEARS AGO. I'm sure it's been resolved by now.
 AAuroraAA
Msg: 221
Posted: 5/20/2008 8:36:45 AM
This is classic scam scenario. Take everything you are learning about this experience & make a note of it so you will recognize the pattern in the future. If he is here on POF or wherever...report his profile!!!! This "guy" may not even be a man. Block him from further contact too. He will likely create a new profile & come back to hit you up again under another assumed identity so be wary. Like POF has posted, if anyone asks you for money, it is a scam! This one is a classic!!!

Another scam these people run besides the send money deal is: They are stuck out of country & need their mark to take delivery of purchases made on the scammer's credit card. They want you to ship it to them in Ghana, Nigeria, UK, Pakistan, or wherever. The true deal is that the credit card is stolen & when you allow the stolen goods to be delivered to you, then you are the one who gets arrested for the whole shebang. They are out of country & cannot be tracked down or extridited to the US. You will be charged with criminal offenses, fined & likely do prison time. The old. "...ignorance of the law is no defense" thing comes into play & the credit card companies want blood; yours will do.
 life_of_leisure
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2008 9:01:02 AM
We had some gal locally who was in the news recently for having sent $15K to someone from match.com who she'd never met in person. He had a pic which looked like it was copied out of GQ or some other fashion mag, and he claimed to be an american in Nigeria on business (buying diamonds, I think). The money was sent in several installments, which started small (several hundred) and then escalated to several thousand per request. I don't see how anyone could be so flaming stupid, but he evidently said all the right things to her. She was not old, fat, or ugly (i.e., desperate) either. Just extremely dumb.
 sanchezzz
Msg: 223
Posted: 5/20/2008 9:09:17 AM
DROP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND BLOCK HIS ASS!!!!!!!!!!! CHANGE YOUR PHONE NUMBER, DELETE YOUR PROFILE....WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET THIS PERSON OUT OF YOUR LIFE...DO IT AND DO IT NOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 224
Posted: 5/20/2008 10:04:24 AM
^^ Again, this was 2 years ago. No need to yell.
 sanchezzz
Msg: 225
Posted: 5/20/2008 6:24:20 PM
just thank... I guess we all get to be an ass at some point!!! I just happen to have more points!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guy I met online keeps asking for money