Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guy I met online keeps asking for money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Momarks
Msg: 201
Guy I met online keeps asking for moneyPage 9 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
i think that this proves Traveling man's MS comment rather succinctly:
no one reads anything other than the initial post and possibly one or two more.

A lot of people have said this though- not just travelling man.

Yet, I dont want to make fun of those who are posting as it is good advice and these people are merely concerned about this sort of thing.
There is not much to be done about this:
1. we are slapped on the hand for starting new but D2D threads and
2.we can't revive old threads.
3. the first post always shows up when we press the thread title- not the last one.
4. people don't see the date of the OP post.
5. most people mean well.

and there is nothing to be done.

Perhaps there could be a program put in place that says " you are responding to a 4 year old thread that has been brought back to life. " when the new person decides to post to it.

Since this is an important topic- perhaps one thread could be done " nigerian scams " or just " scams" and then everyone- no matter what the date of post- could put their experience in there. Then there would be not be the D2D complaint about this- just new experiences. There would be no need to respond to the old post- you just post your new experience.
 freezebear4
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Guy I met online keeps asking for money
Posted: 5/26/2008 6:31:20 PM
I saw scams like this listed on Dr PHIL go to Dr Phil .com and they will tell you to check if his computer is in Nigeria . first of all he needs to be in jail . Dr Phil has gotten these people off the computer and into jail . I forgot what date the show was but if you email them they will tell you and maybe even send you a dvd or video of the show so you can protect your money and self from this man . Please dont take any money and dont send any . I heard of a girl trying to cash check andthe bank came back to her to get the money . and it was a fake scam . really and she fell in love with this guy . she was sending him money real money . and when he paid her back it was not a real check . she was going t o meet him at airport and he lied and never showed up . she kept believing his lies . they just want the money they wont ever come to america and never was here.
 kittenshere41
Msg: 203
Posted: 5/27/2008 2:50:32 AM
yes if a person is crazy enough to accept money from a stranger she/he is the one with the problem. she/he is worse off then the sender. and A man who asks for a womans money is useless piece of trash. If someone ever sends u money do NOT put it in ur bank. tear it up. if someone sends you a money order and u dont nwat to tear it up simply look for the watermark. if it has none through it away immediately.
 ForumBloom
Msg: 204
Posted: 5/27/2008 8:21:30 PM
I would report him, if I were you. Silly for you to even converse with him. Sorry, but I have no sympathy for these people.
 smileee4u
Msg: 205
Posted: 5/27/2008 8:32:15 PM
Haven't you seen the reports warning of scams.... RUN FOR THE HILLS.
 Freedom has no price
Msg: 206
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:24:34 AM
yea, it's a scam

oh id report em too on POF.
 kittenshere41
Msg: 207
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:34:06 AM
but he feels like we are soul mates and that we've known each for a long time.

they alwasy say that when after your money. Do not send him a single penny.
 Ladyhawke050
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2008 12:57:20 PM
Why are we responding to a two year old post. First, anyone with any smarts knows tht it is the biggest going scam in the United States. Second, she should have reported him to the police. This is the information that they seek. Email addy and the note is what they can use to help blocked them from transmitting out of the country to some poor smuck that believes that they love them. But if there is anyone else out there with a Nigerian lover trapped and can't get out. Block him, print out his email and give to police. BUT under no circumstances sent money,,,a good bet that will never be seen again. They work this way,,,first you sent the little money they want, then they say that the price has gone up and they need more,,and on and on until they have nickeled dimed you to death. They are doing this to more than one person. No telling how many people these scammers are using the same story on,,,block all emails that ask for money,,,print and turn in to authorities. Use you head for something other than holding a hat,,,,
 fabulousfunky
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2008 12:59:55 PM
this is such a well known common money scam, also done for visas, just stop talking to him
 initiam
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2008 1:13:54 PM
I have never been subjected to this kind of thing, but I do know, from my past, that this person is playing on your gender. do not fall for this . Let him know if he continues that you will make the the matter know to people that will handle it. Tell him to stop the mail and move on. Good luck.
Bob
 kcjoy
Msg: 211
Posted: 6/19/2008 3:56:55 AM
i had something similar to this happen. i was looking for a place to live and joined a few flat mate sites on the net. Some one by the name of Diana got back to me with some pictures of this place that she said she owned and wanted to rent out a room. I told her that i didn't want to move for a few weeks and she said that she can hold the room for me if I put a deposit down. Wouldn't normally seem so weird, but she told me that i'd have to do the deposit to London by Western Union transfer then she'd post me the keys. Well I wasn't born yesterday so i declined her offer and blocked her from talking to me again. The pictures she sent looked like they were from a magazine and it makes me wonder who else she has done this too and if anyone has fallen for it. it's now the second time someone like that from a renting site has tried doing that. so beware!!! The scammers are out there.
 CrumblePie
Msg: 212
Posted: 6/19/2008 4:18:24 AM
I'm thinking the whole op is a joke, and the thread is a troll thread.
 roger lee
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2008 8:58:27 PM
This is a romance version of the 'Nigerian' or '419' scam. I have had 6 women contact me out of the blue on another dating site, all telling me how much they are in love with me. One, I even counted in her 3rd email to me, called me sweetie, sweetheart & dear 15 times in one email! And that is way too excessive for some women who naturally refer to another person politely as honey or dear. All but one have been deleted from that site apparently because of their suspecious behavior. I don't think my profile or my magnetic personality (dripping with sarcasm) cause so many women to fall head over heels in love with me. Come on. Something is definately wrong here. They all have the same general pattern. A few good links that helped me with this are:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/nigeria.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_419_scam
http://www.419eater.com/
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/nigeralrt.shtm
http://www.datingnmore.com/fraud/scam_database.htm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8704213/

Please, as heart-breaking as his story may sound, don't let yourself get to emotionally bound that you fall for this.

Roger
 lil red corvette
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2008 9:25:20 PM
Do a quick online search for scams , especially from Nigeria and you will see that there are many going on.
Different names given , different reasons for needing money but all are scams.
There are people over there who communicate over the phone or internet with as many potential marks as they can , pretending to be whomever they think the marks might feel sympathy for and saying anything to get some more money.
Block this crook.. no matter what they say to you , it is a lie.
Don't communicate at all.... all they want is to get you to send money .. you and all the other people they are trying to sucker.
 actualized
Msg: 215
Posted: 6/20/2008 9:34:57 PM
LOL a new twist on a nigerian scam. i still receive an email once in a while about collecting a load of money related to some nigerian crap. i get notifications of winning european lotteries as well.

here's my advice: obtain a different email address, suggestive of a man's name. from the email write him a stern message telling him not to bother "his woman" (you).

.Trashcan
Msg: 216
Posted: 9/22/2008 1:36:33 PM
You were good for not giving him anything!

You think he'd have family/friends to help him out?
 briargate
Msg: 217
Posted: 9/22/2008 1:42:46 PM
Hello darling woman!

This is Professor Mafuz again. I know you are probably tired of me asking for this small favor of a loan of not less than $500 without interest and no repayment due date. But I simply must ask you again, stupid cow! Now, don't cry. You are not a stupid cow. I was only angry for a moment, but I am much better now. I love and adore the ground you walk on, beautiful woman of mine! I cherish the very breath that passes from your lips to mine, if in fact I was ever lucky enough to stand in front of you in person. But my life is in such turmoil now and I must find the money, or I will be shot by a firing squad in one week! Are you so heartless that you would see me die? I have a f@cking PhD, stupid woman! Do you know what a waste that will be?

Again, I am sorry for getting my temper up once more. Please reconsider and immediately deposit $500 into HSB, Nairobi bank account # 4568793422.

You are my savior and great love.

-Marrab
 Rachaelh
Msg: 218
Posted: 9/25/2008 5:54:29 PM
yes, I had that experience.
Although, unlike yours, it wasn't a long distance conman, he was local, we had a brief relationship, where he asked me for a large sum of money to 'invest' in his 'company'.
I didn't give it to him, but 4 other women after me did.
(don't worry, he's removed his profile, but maybe he'll put it on again as he is broke).
just in case he does, here's his sign in name: pharoah196540
Watch out, this site is used by conmen. It's their job.
 JRGreenacres
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2009 6:37:42 AM
Scammers aren't only from Nigeria! I hope you all understand that a lot of inhabitants of other countries want to come HERE! They can be from the Philippines, China, Russia or even Denmark. These people NEED to marry so they can get a green card and thereby have a path to citizenship. They will stay with you even past the required 2 years, but as soon as they have enough money, they leave. They just want to live here!
 barbee1970
Msg: 220
Posted: 2/18/2009 8:04:33 AM
This is a scam, called the Nigeria scam. I've had 2 of those. I had one claiming he had a store in Nigeria and he was sending merchandise here telling me to Fed Ex the merchandise. Fed Ex found out the merchandise was stolen. How you order stuff online and not pay is beyond me.

Guy # 2 claimed he also had a store and had a 10 yr old son in Nigeria, asked me to send the boy expensive gifts and ask me to fly there. Am I stupid as I look? I learned all about the scam when Fed Ex told me.

I say block him. If he was dumb enough to fly there, let him keep his dumba** there.
 jakeya99
Msg: 221
Posted: 2/18/2009 8:19:27 AM
N-please.

You know this is a well known scam right?
 catkin2007
Msg: 222
Posted: 2/18/2009 9:03:23 AM
scammer, run as fast as you can... and please tell me you didn't send him any money.
 AdventureAhoy
Msg: 223
Posted: 2/18/2009 1:42:26 PM
OP, do not send him money.

Some people get into the most ridiculous situations. I guess there are more weirdo men then wierdo women.
 DM1063
Msg: 224
Posted: 2/18/2009 8:56:44 PM
Sounds exactly like a guy i dealt with but not on here. I knew something was fishy when he couldn't keep his story straight and what a bser! Anyway, after 2 nights of chatting he asked me for money and of course I told him absolutely NOT, he told me I was greedy and selfish not a Christian etc etc and then told me he had already spent a lot of my money and I didn't even know it. Said he was an engineer but was in Nigeria building a shopping complex, duh, engineers design them, not build them. I spoke to a police officer friend of mine and he told me if I could to print out the messages and they would see what they could do but i couldn't so be warned everyone.
 Annie was here
Msg: 225
Posted: 2/18/2009 9:49:31 PM
Something fun to do with these people when you are bored is to play along with them. Pretend you are sympathetic to them and that you are going to send them money. Keep them at bay for as long as you can and then when you can't anymore tell them you have sent the money and that it should be there soon. Become outraged online when it doesn't show up and rage at the post
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guy I met online keeps asking for money