Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guy I met online keeps asking for money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oggers
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Guy I met online keeps asking for moneyPage 9 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)

Usually they say that they're stranded in Africa and need money to get home. One said she needed money to pay a lawyer.

Hey ! I had the exact same one !! Got mugged .. needed a lawyer.. etc etc ...

There is a guy online somewhere who basically tries to scam the scammers .. it is a very funny site that he runs , although there are one or two stereotypes that he uses ... these guys in Nigeria will go to AWESOME lengths to try to get your money .. DO NOT SEND !!! I think the site is "Ebolamonkey.com " or similar . Very funny
 oggers
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Guy I met online keeps asking for money
Posted: 5/22/2007 1:51:29 PM
ooops ... its "ebolamonkeyman.com"

And lets get one thing straight - I am completely penniless , and I wont be asking ANYONE for a penny ....

Mind you, all voluntary donations gratefully received lol
(woooooahhhh ............... JOKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!! )
 bobfederal
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2007 7:18:51 AM
I 'met' a woman this way. She said she is a doctor from Russia, and sent me a new photo every day. The first thing I noticed was the photos were numbered 001, 002, etc. The lighting was too perfect for amature photos. One setting was in a cafe, one just a head shot, etc.
She asked me to visit her or wanted to know if she should visit me. She was beautiful and naturally I was hoping she was real, but I did a google search on her and discovered she was pulling a scam.
She eventually asked me for money for a flight to America. I learned from others that her next step was to ask for more money because she gets into a car accident on the way to the airport... and it goes on.
You are being scammed...
 Gal-ileo
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/18/2008 6:16:33 PM
Didn't you read the disclaimer not to send anyone money when you signed up?

The rest has already been said......
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/20/2008 8:35:38 AM
The OP wrote this TWO YEARS AGO. I'm sure it's been resolved by now.
 AAuroraAA
Msg: 72
Posted: 5/20/2008 8:36:45 AM
This is classic scam scenario. Take everything you are learning about this experience & make a note of it so you will recognize the pattern in the future. If he is here on POF or wherever...report his profile!!!! This "guy" may not even be a man. Block him from further contact too. He will likely create a new profile & come back to hit you up again under another assumed identity so be wary. Like POF has posted, if anyone asks you for money, it is a scam! This one is a classic!!!

Another scam these people run besides the send money deal is: They are stuck out of country & need their mark to take delivery of purchases made on the scammer's credit card. They want you to ship it to them in Ghana, Nigeria, UK, Pakistan, or wherever. The true deal is that the credit card is stolen & when you allow the stolen goods to be delivered to you, then you are the one who gets arrested for the whole shebang. They are out of country & cannot be tracked down or extridited to the US. You will be charged with criminal offenses, fined & likely do prison time. The old. "...ignorance of the law is no defense" thing comes into play & the credit card companies want blood; yours will do.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 73
Posted: 5/20/2008 10:04:24 AM
^^ Again, this was 2 years ago. No need to yell.
 opnmydm
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/20/2008 11:59:20 PM
cease and desist all contact with this man and report him, he is scamming you.oops, by the way, anyone want to buy a slightly used 2 lane bridge? only 400 dollars
 ForumFilly
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/21/2008 11:06:21 PM
Any man or woman who asks you for money is scamming you. Block them and report the to the admin. They'll delete their profiles. I've had 2 men(?) try this scam with me and I enjoy stringing them along. That way they think they have a gullible fish on the line. Then when they hit me up for money, I let them know I've been playing them instead of the other way around. They sure get upset! It can be pretty funny.
 AragornSearchingArwen
Msg: 76
Posted: 5/22/2008 1:36:58 PM
go to a dollar store, send him a whole wad of play money
 Traveling Man MS
Msg: 77
Posted: 5/25/2008 1:41:37 PM
Are people still responding to a 2 year old thread giving the OP advice? Now who are the gullible ones?
 Traveling Man MS
Msg: 78
Posted: 5/25/2008 3:08:02 PM
Knittin Kitten,

I do agree with what you say, I guess I was a little too harsh.

Here is where I find it a little silly (and may go to the rule about redundant threads) is where people actually are replying to the OP with basically the same response that the 100 previous people came out to say ("It's a scam" etc.). I could see if the thread evolved and became an ongoing conversation regardless of the OP's presence or not. This way, people can share their own experiences as well as maybe some nuances others missed, etc. But that is rarely what happens, and sometimes the irony of someone responding to a 2 year old thread telling the OP that they are gullible just isn't lost on me.

But, that's certainly not to say that what you've said here isn't correct, it certainly is. And yes, learning should never stop, no matter your age, your experience level, formal or informal education level or otherwise.

Thanks, Knittin Kitten.
 virgogidget
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 1:00:28 AM
Run
Never send money.
I had one checked out as my girlfriends cousin is a cop in the USA in fact this scammer said they lived at a certain address which was one hour away from my girlfriends town. No such address, I used to get alot of them in yahoo. They go for dating sites and chat rooms, their all ages both genders. Never fall for hard luck stories
I often wondere if I was silly enough who would of got that money anyway seen no such address. Be careful also if someone wants you to take a parcel and you sell the goods thats another scam. Always listen to gut feelings. There is a website that you can report these people, I know others have rang their local police.
 BizDevEng
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/26/2008 2:59:33 AM
It's an old old online scam run for your life it might even be a bot trying to gain info.
 Amineedsluv2
Msg: 81
Posted: 5/26/2008 4:21:12 AM
LMAO wow if I was going to spend that much money I'd help feed the kids in the USA or help a local family... Dont send your money to some shlep in a forign land youll never see him or your money again!
 Traveling Man MS
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/26/2008 4:58:56 AM

They just look at the last few posts and go on from there......

Actually, I think they just read the first post and hit "post reply" and respond. Take a look at the posts below your last one. These people obviously haven't even looked at our little exchange. It would be very cool if people let a thread evolve responding to the last few posts or read through some of them, but alas it doesn't happen. I agree that if this thread save someone embarrassment and money, it would be a good thing.

Oh well, what can you do?
 smileee4u
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/27/2008 8:32:15 PM
Haven't you seen the reports warning of scams.... RUN FOR THE HILLS.
 roger lee
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2008 8:58:27 PM
This is a romance version of the 'Nigerian' or '419' scam. I have had 6 women contact me out of the blue on another dating site, all telling me how much they are in love with me. One, I even counted in her 3rd email to me, called me sweetie, sweetheart & dear 15 times in one email! And that is way too excessive for some women who naturally refer to another person politely as honey or dear. All but one have been deleted from that site apparently because of their suspecious behavior. I don't think my profile or my magnetic personality (dripping with sarcasm) cause so many women to fall head over heels in love with me. Come on. Something is definately wrong here. They all have the same general pattern. A few good links that helped me with this are:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/nigeria.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_419_scam
http://www.419eater.com/
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/nigeralrt.shtm
http://www.datingnmore.com/fraud/scam_database.htm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8704213/

Please, as heart-breaking as his story may sound, don't let yourself get to emotionally bound that you fall for this.

Roger
 lil red corvette
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2008 9:25:20 PM
Do a quick online search for scams , especially from Nigeria and you will see that there are many going on.
Different names given , different reasons for needing money but all are scams.
There are people over there who communicate over the phone or internet with as many potential marks as they can , pretending to be whomever they think the marks might feel sympathy for and saying anything to get some more money.
Block this crook.. no matter what they say to you , it is a lie.
Don't communicate at all.... all they want is to get you to send money .. you and all the other people they are trying to sucker.
 briargate
Msg: 86
Posted: 9/22/2008 1:42:46 PM
Hello darling woman!

This is Professor Mafuz again. I know you are probably tired of me asking for this small favor of a loan of not less than $500 without interest and no repayment due date. But I simply must ask you again, stupid cow! Now, don't cry. You are not a stupid cow. I was only angry for a moment, but I am much better now. I love and adore the ground you walk on, beautiful woman of mine! I cherish the very breath that passes from your lips to mine, if in fact I was ever lucky enough to stand in front of you in person. But my life is in such turmoil now and I must find the money, or I will be shot by a firing squad in one week! Are you so heartless that you would see me die? I have a f@cking PhD, stupid woman! Do you know what a waste that will be?

Again, I am sorry for getting my temper up once more. Please reconsider and immediately deposit $500 into HSB, Nairobi bank account # 4568793422.

You are my savior and great love.

-Marrab
 barbee1970
Msg: 87
Posted: 2/18/2009 8:04:33 AM
This is a scam, called the Nigeria scam. I've had 2 of those. I had one claiming he had a store in Nigeria and he was sending merchandise here telling me to Fed Ex the merchandise. Fed Ex found out the merchandise was stolen. How you order stuff online and not pay is beyond me.

Guy # 2 claimed he also had a store and had a 10 yr old son in Nigeria, asked me to send the boy expensive gifts and ask me to fly there. Am I stupid as I look? I learned all about the scam when Fed Ex told me.

I say block him. If he was dumb enough to fly there, let him keep his dumba** there.
 catkin2007
Msg: 88
Posted: 2/18/2009 9:03:23 AM
scammer, run as fast as you can... and please tell me you didn't send him any money.
 annywn
Msg: 89
Posted: 12/1/2012 2:06:47 AM
KINDA sorta,,,, except magically people I didn't know were dying and left me millions and millions. I only needed to respond with my back account info and the money was mine. I refered them to contact me at my email. how****ingstupiddoyouthinkiam.com

funny thing, \i never heard back?
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2012 4:45:15 AM
Good news!

The OP never did send money.

toni332
Msg: 83
Posted: 6/11/2006 1024 PM
Hi CheesyFeet,

Interesting name by the way. You're wrong. I haven't sent him any money and I haven't fell for him, either. I definitely don't believe in love at first site and this guy was always telling me he loved me. I should have figured it out then. Basically, I just wanted to know if anyone else has gone through this. I plan on doing some research on this particular subject and I totally appreciate all the responses I've gotten.

By the way, I did block this guy out.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.
 pinkmittens
Msg: 91
Posted: 12/2/2012 9:18:58 PM
scam, report, block, change your id if needed... (you can still access the people who you are currently talking with through your new id)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guy I met online keeps asking for money