Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guy I met online keeps asking for money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 201
Guy I met online keeps asking for moneyPage 9 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
The OP wrote this TWO YEARS AGO. I'm sure it's been resolved by now.
 AAuroraAA
Msg: 202
Guy I met online keeps asking for money
Posted: 5/20/2008 8:36:45 AM
This is classic scam scenario. Take everything you are learning about this experience & make a note of it so you will recognize the pattern in the future. If he is here on POF or wherever...report his profile!!!! This "guy" may not even be a man. Block him from further contact too. He will likely create a new profile & come back to hit you up again under another assumed identity so be wary. Like POF has posted, if anyone asks you for money, it is a scam! This one is a classic!!!

Another scam these people run besides the send money deal is: They are stuck out of country & need their mark to take delivery of purchases made on the scammer's credit card. They want you to ship it to them in Ghana, Nigeria, UK, Pakistan, or wherever. The true deal is that the credit card is stolen & when you allow the stolen goods to be delivered to you, then you are the one who gets arrested for the whole shebang. They are out of country & cannot be tracked down or extridited to the US. You will be charged with criminal offenses, fined & likely do prison time. The old. "...ignorance of the law is no defense" thing comes into play & the credit card companies want blood; yours will do.
 life_of_leisure
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2008 9:01:02 AM
We had some gal locally who was in the news recently for having sent $15K to someone from match.com who she'd never met in person. He had a pic which looked like it was copied out of GQ or some other fashion mag, and he claimed to be an american in Nigeria on business (buying diamonds, I think). The money was sent in several installments, which started small (several hundred) and then escalated to several thousand per request. I don't see how anyone could be so flaming stupid, but he evidently said all the right things to her. She was not old, fat, or ugly (i.e., desperate) either. Just extremely dumb.
 sanchezzz
Msg: 204
Posted: 5/20/2008 9:09:17 AM
DROP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND BLOCK HIS ASS!!!!!!!!!!! CHANGE YOUR PHONE NUMBER, DELETE YOUR PROFILE....WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET THIS PERSON OUT OF YOUR LIFE...DO IT AND DO IT NOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 205
Posted: 5/20/2008 10:04:24 AM
^^ Again, this was 2 years ago. No need to yell.
 sanchezzz
Msg: 206
Posted: 5/20/2008 6:24:20 PM
just thank... I guess we all get to be an ass at some point!!! I just happen to have more points!!!!
 TheFantasyArtist
Msg: 207
Posted: 5/20/2008 6:43:07 PM
It is a SCAM!
Discommunicate with this person right away!
Do not send money or be sucked into this farce!
 opnmydm
Msg: 208
Posted: 5/20/2008 11:59:20 PM
cease and desist all contact with this man and report him, he is scamming you.oops, by the way, anyone want to buy a slightly used 2 lane bridge? only 400 dollars
 Knittin Kitten
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2008 9:21:05 AM
I just got a love note from one real young fella....he's in the Army....In Iraq

(Infuriates me that the scammers are now using this for their little game.) The last soldier that wanted to love me, also wanted me to take care of billions of dollars that he and his buddies were trying to take out of Iraq and bring home....I didn;t wait around to see how much "my take" would be....I reported him.

I can't decide whether or not to ask THIS guy if he needs help getting the money out...he hasn't mentioned it...Of course, that would alert him to the fact that I KNOW it's a scam. Guess I answered my own question....

Lookout POF, I've got some more mail for ya.... Keep up the good work!

Fondly,
KK
 seanan
Msg: 210
Posted: 5/21/2008 9:42:08 AM
Send him the money!

By the way, I am selling the CN Tower for a great price! Let me know if you are interested!
 sheilarodri
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2008 6:15:26 PM
Just block him and tell him to go to He!!. He can contact his family or his friends and to leave you alone you are not a ATM.
 sheilarodri
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2008 7:10:43 PM
I just spent a bit of time reading this thread and yes the original post was 2 years ago but parts are still funny and interesting.

The sad part is people are still sending money to these scammers and they are still on the net.

I was contacted by a guy who said he was in the same city as myself and needed money so he could get back to the provence he came from. Like yeah im stupid and will send a total stranger money. NOT. The funny thing was he never mentioned Nigeria once in the conversation but it was still a scam.

BTW to the people who like to send money to total strangers i will be your friend but my hoard of children need to go to summer camp, at a $300 a week for 8 weeks and they are not in Nigeria.
 Officer_Fluffy
Msg: 213
Posted: 5/21/2008 9:37:16 PM
anything in nigeria is ALWAYS a scam!!
 ForumFilly
Msg: 214
Posted: 5/21/2008 11:06:21 PM
Any man or woman who asks you for money is scamming you. Block them and report the to the admin. They'll delete their profiles. I've had 2 men(?) try this scam with me and I enjoy stringing them along. That way they think they have a gullible fish on the line. Then when they hit me up for money, I let them know I've been playing them instead of the other way around. They sure get upset! It can be pretty funny.
 AragornSearchingArwen
Msg: 215
Posted: 5/22/2008 1:36:58 PM
go to a dollar store, send him a whole wad of play money
 6irlfriend
Msg: 216
Posted: 5/22/2008 10:27:59 PM
don't send money and don't give him your info for him to deposit money into your account either!
 2nutty
Msg: 217
Posted: 5/25/2008 1:21:42 PM
Ohhhhhhh...I am so damn glad that I looked this up!!! I feel so much better for being a leary **** now....

I met a guy on match. Started talking to him by email and chat on yahoo. He said he was a geologist and had lived in houston for 4 years. Lived all over Europe and South Africa. Worked all over the world. I know other men that have worked in oil, so that didn't suprise me. Said he was just about to leave o n his next job right when I met him. He was going to Nigeria. Didn't even think about a scam. We started talking on the phone. BUt very little. I told him I don't make alot and have kids and can't afford it. Basically like a few minutes and then we would get online. He was very forward about his feelings for me in about a 3 week period of time. RED FLAG! I guess he thought that since his pics were so hot and I am a big girl, that I would fall for that sh1t. No dice, baby! I told him that I thought it was a little creepy. Yesterday he asked me for finacial help because he didnt have access to his account in Houston and he didnt bring enough money with him. I thought that was stupid. RED FLAG!! He is supposed to be so smart and wealthy! Hello? Credit cards? Travelers checks? Duh? I got mad and then he acted all hurt and mad that I didn't care about him....drama, drama, drama!!

I basically sent him an email after I thought about it today and told him never to contact me again. I blocked him from IM, and am changing my phone number, but I blocked the last number he called from. I told him that I didnt believe that he said he was who he said he was and that I think he's a creep.

I am just glad that I didn't really fall for him. That would have sucked a fat mule's a$$!!
 Traveling Man MS
Msg: 218
Posted: 5/25/2008 1:41:37 PM
Are people still responding to a 2 year old thread giving the OP advice? Now who are the gullible ones?
 Knittin Kitten
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2008 2:31:11 PM
Traveling Man:

Whether or not people are responding to an OP on a 2 year old site....the problem is MUCH older than 2 years old....and, I'm guessing that there are many more people reading the replies, even if the OP is no longer here.

My thinking is that even if one new person, who is unaware of this type of scam (as I was not at the onset of my cyber career) reads the postings and becomes aware, thus, saving themselves both the loss of money or even heartbreak, then it's well worth it.

I hope that you, too are learning things every day...It makes for a very interesting life. I should know...I've been at it for awhile...and, still learning. Now the problem is....
remembering what I learn....

Just my thoughts,

KK
 Traveling Man MS
Msg: 220
Posted: 5/25/2008 3:08:02 PM
Knittin Kitten,

I do agree with what you say, I guess I was a little too harsh.

Here is where I find it a little silly (and may go to the rule about redundant threads) is where people actually are replying to the OP with basically the same response that the 100 previous people came out to say ("It's a scam" etc.). I could see if the thread evolved and became an ongoing conversation regardless of the OP's presence or not. This way, people can share their own experiences as well as maybe some nuances others missed, etc. But that is rarely what happens, and sometimes the irony of someone responding to a 2 year old thread telling the OP that they are gullible just isn't lost on me.

But, that's certainly not to say that what you've said here isn't correct, it certainly is. And yes, learning should never stop, no matter your age, your experience level, formal or informal education level or otherwise.

Thanks, Knittin Kitten.
 lh90716
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2008 6:25:07 PM
girl please if a guy ask me for money and cusses me out . i wouldn't even be talking to him a 2nd time. Especially if i don't know him. wake up thats all he wants from you is money. Hes getting mad because he can't charm his way in getting it. leave that one along. Tell him to get to stepping and you run while you are ahead.
 Knittin Kitten
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2008 7:33:11 PM
Traveling Man:

You've Got Mail.....

Thanks for your post...I hear ya....People responding to the OP in 2 year old threads? I see that all the time......Doesn't it tell you the same thing it tells me...They don't bother to read up on the subject. They just look at the last few posts and go on from there......

As I've mentioned before....it just helps me in my weeding process ...

But, I wanted to say, for all to see....that I appreciate your post and think highly of you for it.

KK
 1Classic
Msg: 223
Posted: 5/26/2008 12:40:47 AM
I have a better idea what is his E-mail sight? We could have every Fag in the World E-Mailing him. Put his E-Mail address up here and we will do the rest. Rest Easy Dear the Calvary is here to Help you. High - O - Silver
 BorneoBabe
Msg: 224
Posted: 5/26/2008 12:55:29 AM
OP its a scam!! Don't listen to him, block his azzzz and run for the hillss and NEVER SEND MONEY EVER!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I was kidding. I know this thread is 2 years old, I just wanted to feel like the majority here and add some useful information that might not have been advised yet. Oh wait, sorry I guess there has been 10 other pages saying the same thing...opps I had no idea...N O T

virgogidget
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 1:00:28 AM
Run
Never send money.
I had one checked out as my girlfriends cousin is a cop in the USA in fact this scammer said they lived at a certain address which was one hour away from my girlfriends town. No such address, I used to get alot of them in yahoo. They go for dating sites and chat rooms, their all ages both genders. Never fall for hard luck stories
I often wondere if I was silly enough who would of got that money anyway seen no such address. Be careful also if someone wants you to take a parcel and you sell the goods thats another scam. Always listen to gut feelings. There is a website that you can report these people, I know others have rang their local police.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guy I met online keeps asking for money