Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 52
Why guys don't dance.Page 4 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

Wow and it only took 6 pages for the truth to come out lol. For women who don't believe this, when was the last time someone danced with you and didn't try to get your number or try to hook up with you?

true as that is.

there are PLENTY of guys who DO dance and ARE good at it...

AND, despite their proclivities towards dancing DO use it as a way to hook up with chicks.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 53
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 2/23/2011 4:00:04 AM

For women who don't believe this, when was the last time someone danced with you and didn't try to get your number or try to hook up with you?

Exactly. Which is why most of us now dance with our friends and ignore the rest of it. Any other way, there's too much boy girl stuff going on. Some of us just want to dance, drink, laugh, have fun and go home.
 platypus_man
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 2/23/2011 8:31:18 AM
Most guys who won't dance simply don't know how, and they don't want to look stupid or clumsy. Back in the 70's, there was a big backlash against disco mainly because all the macho guys were losing their girlfriends to those of us who were taking their girls out dancing all night; we learned that most girls love to dance, and simply provided the right circumstances for them to realize what clods their soon to be ex-boyfriends were. Still works, BTW, but it's gotta be real dancing, couples touching. Break dancing is simply a form of masturbation.
 BrookfieldMan
Msg: 55
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 2/25/2011 1:21:43 PM
i'm 58 and i'm the best fast dancer in Youngstown, Ohio. not a bad grinder either.

it was always the easiest way i could find to meet girls and eventually date and bed them.

but it's not as easy NOW as it once was. back in the day (70's-80's)you had to go table to table from the rear of the club to the front and work the room asking for dances.

today at the hiphop/pop clubs you have to GO OUT ON THE DANCEFLOOR AND "ASK".

by asking i mean putting your hands on her hips from behind. she'll look around at you and if she likes you she'll GRIND her AZZ up against your crotch. otherwise she'll just say no thanks and you walk off the dancefloor with all the people there to see your mission was a failure.

a little tougher today.
 arwen52
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 2/25/2011 10:56:17 PM

For women who don't believe this, when was the last time someone danced with you and didn't try to get your number or try to hook up with you?

Last night. And the night before that. And I will again tomorrow night. And I could have tonight but I didn't feel like making the drive. In fact, I've been dancing at least once a week (and most of the time more often than that) for over ten years. Now, occasionally a guy *has* asked for my number and I met my last steady BF dancing. However, the dance circles I'm in are not pickup scenes. We're there to dance.

Guys, if you want to meet women, learn how to dance. Take some lessons. Ninety percent of women like to dance; 90% of men don't. I know some really geeky guys who are quite popular because they can dance. Do the math.

Dancing looks good in young people
some things are not meant to be done after a certain age, this is one of them

Booolsheeet . . .

Besides, I'm not out there to look good to you, I'm out there to have fun.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 59
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 2/26/2011 8:25:11 AM

No ones looking at you anyway unless you are doing something spectacular or extremely odd..

Half the threads here would be eliminated if everyone would just GET that. No one's looking at you or paying attention you nearly as much or as often as you think or worry about. Most people out in the world are so wrapped up in themselves they aren't that interested in what anyone else is doing.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 60
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 2/26/2011 12:38:52 PM

Dancing looks good in young people
some things are not meant to be done after a certain age...
There were a couple of guys
35 and up, the oldest men around...
You could tell they were OLD just by the way they thought "grinding" should be done...
Some people men and women, don't know when it's time to stop doing things they were OK to do when they were younger...

lol I guess folks might as well put a bullit in their heads after 35 and stop having sex, cuz they are just TOO old to do it.

I know TONS of folks that are over 35, myself included - actually LOVE to dance and do it often and LOOK good doing it. Know how to do it....Enjoy it.

GRINDING is NOT dancing.

In many ways dancing is very much a cultural thing. Typically speaking- us white folks are known as not having rhythm. And the way MOST white folks dance, they (I used to be in this boat) are just bad dancers and have no clue where the beat is.

WHY? because generally speaking- we white folk do NOT grow up dancing in the family as other cultures do. And the only times they go out dancing is grind sessions at the High School Gym and then drunking grind sessions after HS in the clubs.

If a guy cannot dance worth a durn at 16-25 and has not practiced it, he is NOT going to be at 35, unless he practices it and/or takes lessons.

bottom line is- it is NOT a very important part of MOST of white american culture. but it IS a very imporatant part of MANY people's lives...

again- go find a guy where it IS important or that they ARE good at dancing...

even if, God forbid- he is over 35...
 BrookfieldMan
Msg: 61
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 2/27/2011 9:31:42 AM
forum fishie said:

Except when you are in a public place trying to pick up women who are half your age
then it's just right down CREEPY, I don't care how good of a dancer they were in 1986

because it's creepy TO YOU doesn't mean it's creepy to EVERYONE.

some peeps think anal sex is nasty.
some think white women/black men are creepy.
some think doing drugs is wrong.
some think having horrible arguments then having great make up sex is normal.

everyone has their preferences.
some women like older men and enjoy grinding with them.
it doesn't take much talent for a man to grind. it's the woman who has to be talented.
 arwen52
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 2/27/2011 3:20:26 PM

I was describing the old men grinding, I do not grind or let a stranger grind me, but if you love it, go at it, to each it's own, I think is embarrassing but maybe you'll enjoy it well into your 6O's.

Grinding is not dancing. And I don't think it looks good on anyone.

Well, I was dancing again last night. Mostly, it's folks in their 20s but we had several in their 30s, 40s, two of us in our 50s, and one guy in his 70s who is one of the hottest dancers on the dance floor. He used to compete when he was younger and is still a ball of fire.

I don't need some young whippersnapper to tell me I should stop dancing. Stop dancing your own self.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 63
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 3/3/2011 1:49:08 PM

Partner dancing is a good way to get to know your partner, unfortunately, too many bands think they have to play as loud as possible to show how enthusiastic they are, making any sort of conversation impossible. Same with DJ's, many of whom seem to think their loud comments during songs helps people to have more fun.

Agreed. I hate to take my own industry down, but as a DJ I assume the crowd's more interested in the music I'm playing than what I have to say or who I am (outside shout outs to customers or staff of course, because it's about them, not me). Truth be told I can't stand someone who talks through everything they play, or assumes they are supposed to be the attraction in the DJ booth. *shrug*

The crowd and the music ARE the attraction, generally, or are supposed to be.

That said, clubs and bars aren't for conversation, they are for atmosphere, fun, etc - so those who are trying to have meaningful conversation are going to be frustrated. If you want to have a conversation, you are supposed to talk somewhere else. Exchange information and talk on the phone, or adjourn to/meet another time in a place that has little to no music playing and a comfortable place to sit.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 64
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 3/3/2011 2:01:09 PM

I dance plenty of times with plenty of women and I don't ask for their number nor try to hook up with them.

unfortunately, too many bands think they have to play as loud as possible to show how enthusiastic they are, making any sort of conversation impossible. Same with DJ's, many of whom seem to think their loud comments during songs helps people to have more fun.

when I go dancing- I'm there to dance. Not to discuss Plato...

there are so many different ways to communicate with someone on the dance floor that has nothing to do with opening my mouth to talk.

if I want ""conversation"" I will goto a lounge or a coffee house, etc...

Just like going to a movie- I goto watch the movie, not talk to a date...
 Silverhawk_tkn
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 3/27/2011 8:10:12 PM
...sorry...got to go against the grain here......I'm 42, and chok full of confidence. I think I look decent enough for my age and when I attended a conference in Vegas in January I hit all the cool clubs with some of my buddies. Tryst, Pure, Jet, to name a few...........I had NO problem dancing and also had no problems meeting tons of women at the same time..........

Could have hooked up many, many times but I have a lovely girlfriend who I adore......

Nonetheless....I had a great time. Guys, if you want to meet women, grab some balls and get out on the dance floor. Dress to impress, be clean and neat, and smell good........You'll be amazed at what happens...........relax, be confident, and get out there.

Anything else is simply an excuse.......
 itechman63
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 3/30/2011 4:08:52 AM
I remember an old friend of mine once put it this way... "I'm afraid that I'll be out there and forget my moves". He feared the awkwardness of just standing on the dance floor shrugging his shoulders. I thought it was a great way of putting it.
 damassteel
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 3/30/2011 8:02:31 AM
As I've mentioned elsewhere in this post, I've been a pro and semi-pro dancer for over ten years.
In the course of instructing others I've noticed the following, and it's been very consistent:
out of 10 new dancers, 3 will become good, 4 will struggle, but learn to enjoy dancing; the last 3 will never get it now matter how much you work with them.
Men will start out progressing slower than women, but in many cases the guys will find a real passion for dance and out distance the ladies.
I've also noticed that the avid social dancer has a certain profile. They tend to be individuals who are high achievers, generally interested in personal development, patient with the process of learning new things, and are able to remain on plateaus of learning without frustration. They are very sociable and friendly people and not at all shy.
For all of those reasons, I have chosen to build my social life around dancing; dancers are just my kind of people.
 damassteel
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 3/30/2011 10:50:10 PM

One day I'm going to take some lessons & get back into it. Your post renewed my interest in it. One day, I'll have a gorgeous woman in my arms...as we dance the night away.

THIS is why the Salsa dance scene as a social scene makes so much sense!
It has ALL the basics for a great time...Wine , Women, and Song; A mood enhancing beverage of your choice(or not), Hot sexy gals of every stripe and kind in sexy outfits, all of whom are friendly and ready to mingle, while dancing close to you to exiting and sensual music...In other words, a relaxed, fun, target rich environment...Duh!!
 mrcs84
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 3/31/2011 10:54:56 AM
Well, none of the guys in my social circles take any lessons, but its not hard to get us on the dance floor.

Must be a black thing
 damassteel
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 3/31/2011 4:56:23 PM

I dance until my feet hurt. - Which doesn’t take very long ‘cause I keep stepping on them. If I dance with a partner I last a little longer because there are twice as many feet to step on.

I wouldn't brag about it if I were you...
 C2H5OH
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 4/1/2011 3:05:43 PM
Well,we can dance if we want to,we can leave your friends behind.
Because your friends don't dance and if they don't dance.
Well they're no friends of mine.

BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 77
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 4/1/2011 3:33:44 PM
again, here we go...

I'm 38
I'm a man.

a white guy at that...I'm going dancing tonight.

I'm gonna have FUN, I dont' dance like a fool cause I can dance PLUS, I just might get lucky at the club...

what of it for all you naysayers?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 78
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 4/1/2011 3:44:46 PM
As usual, I think gender has nothing to do with preference. I know men who love to dance and women who hate it.

I think male or female if you like to dance, than you should regardless of what people might think (and trust me most people aren't paying that much attention to anyone but themselves anyway).

If you don't like to dance, than you should avoid it no matter what people might think. You know what you like and what you don't if you are over, like, 13 years old.

Dance because you like dancing, or don't dance because you don't like it. All else is just extra crap.
 damassteel
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 4/2/2011 7:40:01 AM

I'm a man, a white guy at that...I'm going dancing tonight. [\quote]

All nonsense...Some of the BEST salsa dancers I know are white guys.
It's all about who has that close connection to the music, not race.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 80
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 4/12/2011 10:03:28 AM

All nonsense...Some of the BEST salsa dancers I know are white guys.
It's all about who has that close connection to the music, not race.

I was being facetious...
 Maleman999
Msg: 81
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 4/12/2011 10:58:32 AM

women dance
men hunt and kill furry creatures

lol. But you're on to something. There are a number of species of animals that dance as part of the mating ritual during mating season. They ruffle their feathers or fur and shuffle around to "turn on" a member of the opposite sex, then they go in for the kill-I mean sex. It would be a dream world if that worked that easily with the human species. Wishful thinking. That's why guys who don't dance or don't like to dance will give it a try occasionally and go through the motions. It's all part of the mating ritual. The only dance most guys are truly interested in is the horizontal bomp.
 valleyguyaz
Msg: 82
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 4/17/2011 8:43:40 AM
i don't dance because i simply never learned how to dance.its something that i regret never learning because alot of women really enjoy dancing and i think its is something that can make a couple alot closer.
 mystique305
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Why guys don't dance.
Posted: 4/18/2011 6:39:36 AM
I am not a guy (I hope that's clear), but I've heard from men that I've talked to about the subject that they don't want to look stupid if they know they can't dance. It doesn't bother me if a man can't dance, but it is kind of a turn on if he can. Either way, if he can, great, if not, I just shrug and tell him that I can dance enough for the both of us.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >