Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 97
Men over 55!Page 3 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)

I have now seen a few posts from you folks who say that men over 55 are more or less into fantasy and not the dating scene!

I wouldn't put an age limit or specific gender to the above statement.
I think it's quite safe to assume that ALL of us, regardless of our age and gender, are guilty of indulging in fantasies.
Haven't we all formed a mental image in our minds of what we conceive to be the perfect mate?
Unfortunatley, the reality is this ... none of us has a hope in hell of finding "Mr. or Mrs. Perfect" (for us) unless we put ourselves out there...which means "dating."
Personally, I'm not ready to put myself out there... YET.
However, I do believe that those of you who are currently putting yourself out there, and actively seeking to find that perfect mate for YOU...will undoubtedly succeed if you approach things with an open heart and mind.
 kpooks
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/27/2009 9:05:06 PM
Since we create our own reality (and fantasies), why shouldn't dating be fulfilling some fantasies?
 Aviation Buff
Msg: 99
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/27/2009 9:51:38 PM
I'm over 55 and never married, but have done more in my life that most people only
dream about!(fantasy)
I have been all over the world, flown in excess of 48,000 feet , a member of the Mach Busters club.
Flown several world war two aircraft as pilot in command, the latest a 4 engine B-17 bomber.
Flown past mach one in an F-104 Starfighter.
Flown from coast to coast to coast in an open cabin aircraft, and seen America from an average of 3,000 feet at about 90 to 100 miles per hour!

My next reality?
To fly into space aboard a craft like Spaceship Two operated by Virgin Galactic .
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 100
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/28/2009 4:00:03 AM

My next reality?
To fly into space aboard a craft like Spaceship Two operated by Virgin Galactic .

Now talk about romance nothing like two people in love being in orbit together!!

Gotta wonder what it is like when your floating.. lol

thecatsmeoww
 Aviation Buff
Msg: 101
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/28/2009 12:19:49 PM
You wouldn't believe the waiting list this outfit ( Virgin Galactic) has!
If you're interested, check this out. Put Spaceship Two into your browser, or put
Space tourism in your browser.
It is a very real thing and flights for the ordinary public will eventually become available.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/28/2009 12:28:40 PM
An old song comes to mind..."Fly me to the moon...."
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/28/2009 2:11:32 PM
But I like people within my age range of five years no more.

Increase the age range to six or seven years, that is my thoughts (and hopes and desires) EXACTLY.

However ...

... they don't seem to have much interest in me. Boo hoo, right?

No, not boo hoo. Just a sad reality.

However #2 ...

... there ARE women who have proven themselves to be delighted with to talking with me.

A couple months ago, I decided (FINALLY!!, sometimes I'm a little slow) to attempt to strike up a conversation with most any attractive woman within conversation range who looked even remotely like she might be interested. Results so far: Of probably more than a hundred attempts, just one past age 50 seemed delighted (and she was probably 70 and certainly married), all else above 50 made no effort to maintain any conversation. On the other hand, women from early 40's down to and including what turned out to be a 19 year old girl (pardon the non-PC) were almost uniformly delighted for the conversation. The conversations were in bookstores, on city buses/subways, grocery lines, sidewalks, newstands, parks, Starbuck's, deli's, pubs, etc. In no case did I buy a woman anything nor did any woman suggest I buy her something. The conversations were lively and interesting, and often sexual, sometimes quite detailed and enthusiastically personal. They were definitely two-sided conversations.

What might one make of that? Hold out until one is 70 years old, and then look for a married woman?

Scott McNealy, a phrase-monger of renown and a founder of Sun Microsystems, said, "One has to put one's wood behind a sharp arrowhead, and take aim at a valid target."

Ladies, if you want to catch Nimrod The Great Hunter ya gotta be seen.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 107
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/29/2009 1:56:28 AM

Results so far: Of probably more than a hundred attempts, just one past age 50 seemed delighted (and she was probably 70 and certainly married), all else above 50 made no effort to maintain any conversation. On the other hand, women from early 40's down to and including what turned out to be a 19 year old girl (pardon the non-PC) were almost uniformly delighted for the conversation.

How do you know the one past the age of 50 was probably 70 and certainly married???????
You just eliminated someone without confirming that to be a fact?

Now as for the rest making no effort to maintain any conversation people want to meet. If you email to long you simply lose them. You might be surprised how many will just want to email and never do make plans to meet you. One has to invest their time with those that do.
As you stated..
Scott McNealy, a phrase-monger of renown and a founder of Sun Microsystems, said, "One has to put one's wood behind a sharp arrowhead, and take aim at a valid target."

thecatsmeoww
 altotermite
Msg: 108
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/29/2009 2:09:29 AM
It is very true for me. My true fantasy woman is perfect for me. I know she is not real but she sure is fun to be with ???
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/29/2009 6:25:29 AM

Results so far: Of probably more than a hundred attempts, just one past age 50 seemed delighted (and she was probably 70 and certainly married), all else above 50 made no effort to maintain any conversation. On the other hand, women from early 40's down to and including what turned out to be a 19 year old girl (pardon the non-PC) were almost uniformly delighted for the conversation.

How do you know the one past the age of 50 was probably 70 and certainly married???????
You just eliminated someone without confirming that to be a fact?

She was wearing a wedding ring, she spoke of her husband, and she spoke of her grandchildren in their 20's. Sometimes I notice things other people don't.

If you email to long you simply lose them.

My direct experience was quite the opposite when early in my career I wrote measured* advertising for a living. In measured advertising, a good one-page letter sold, a good two-page letter sold more, and a good four-page letter sold better yet. In the world of measured* advertising, the refrain was, "The more you tell, the more you sell."

In my days when I often saw candidates resumes, THE best resume I ever saw -- BAR NONE -- was 20 pages long.

* measured advertising counts the direct orders from a specific advertising piece and compares it to a "control" piece of advertising. Did you ever wonder why direct mail advertising sent to men is on gray paper, while that sent to women is on a lite rose paper? Did you know that blue handwriting on a letter (sometimes reddish pink on a ladies letter) increases "pull" by about 20% compared to black handwriting (which is lower cost to print)?

The only bad writing is boring writing.

Wanna know how to improve one's writing almost immediately? Write specifically towards your reader, the reader you see sitting there reading your rittin. And leave the "I, I, I" ego at the door. The reader cares about the reader, duh!, and will read volumes about him/herself.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 112
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/31/2009 5:59:57 AM

She was wearing a wedding ring, she spoke of her husband, and she spoke of her grandchildren in their 20's. Sometimes I notice things other people don't.

Okay thought you were speaking about someone you were emailing with online.. Not someone you met in the course of your day.

But will still stand by the emailing too long.. Better to meet sooner than later..

thecatsmeoww
 altotermite
Msg: 113
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/3/2010 4:17:18 AM
kk

No I don't think so. You have the rest of your life to date. You never know when you will meet someone. Anyway that what I believe and thats a real fantasy!!!...
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 116
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/8/2010 6:38:10 PM
But will still stand by the emailing too long.. Better to meet sooner than later..

Maybe that's an introvert/extrovert split, and should stand: those that don't mind meeting fast, should go ahead and do it. For me, constantly meeting peeps that aren't going to work out takes a toll on my attitude. . . . I'd rather get it to the place via email and phone, that we're *both* positively *anxious* to meet each other. Rather than starting with "good enough" and hoping that a face to face will kick it up to "Boy Howdy". . . .

thecatsmeoww
Msg: 118
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/9/2010 9:02:08 AM

However this "speed dating" seems to target a younger crowd. Think about the possibilities of going one on one for 5 minutes with say 10 persons in one evening.

Indeed I do not think that many over 50 go in for speed dating..Perhaps because dating today is far faster than they expect anyhow and in a sense they feel like they are already do that.

thecatsmeoww
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 119
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/9/2010 9:21:54 AM
Dance, I think we all experienced "speed dating" in our younger years (or maybe even now, lol!); it's called: going to a party. . . . You stand there, someone asks you to dance, and you do, talking, and by the end of the dance you both know whether you wish a second one or not. If not, you ask someone else to dance/accept someone else's offer of a dance. Just takes a bit longer via email, IMHO.

Because of where I live, the opportunity to go to parties nearby and meet any number of new people at one go simply doesn't exist anymore for me. As I've said elsewhere, and many times, grin, I've met both of the bachelors in the county ten years ago. So for me, it's PoF or nuttin'. . . . On the up side, PoF has worked very well for me. Indeed.

Moonchild51
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/9/2010 4:23:29 PM

Many have nothing the ex wife got it all and the one's who have a home are scared your going to take it.

Holy carp Friend! That was a very very astute statement! I already have my own place, don't need anyone else's but it would appear that they still think we wanna lay hands on their goodies! No pun intended!
 c_deacon
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/9/2010 4:29:42 PM
Laying your hands on our goodies is not a bad thing at all Moonie..........Just as long as we are guaranteed to get them back once the laying is done......

OT......At our ages, it is much better to have your own, keep it, and share it only when wanted by both!!.....

cd............
 Artistic_Bloke
Msg: 125
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/9/2010 5:18:22 PM
Over 55, that i am, now i am looking for a nice sturdy shelf to sit in, as i find this dating game is getting harder every year
 canyunflyer
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/12/2010 6:55:55 AM
I don't think we should ever "Generalize" about anything when it comes to the relationship game. I see it over and over and over in venues like this forum. When anyone generalizes..... its always about "them"..., not us. They're the ones with a thinking problem.

Its good to become educated. Its good to learn how to protect yourself. Its good to become observent. But generalizing is just another way of cutting one's self off. Limiting the options and availabilities.

Its true... Many men over 55 are bitter or resentful or pathologically eccentric or unrealistic to a level of fantasy. But, Certainly... not all.

Uhhhh( whats with the speed dating post???) ha ha!

The smart one's will save their conclusions and determinations for actual experience on and individual basis. Thats what I try to do.
 Artistic_Bloke
Msg: 130
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/13/2010 4:33:15 PM
So true, and what I've found, so boring. Dating is boring, men are boring and trying to have a relationship is boring, there are more interesting things to do like read a book - even these forums are boring! Do I sound old?

Nup, Boring maybe, but we all go through a Boring Phase during our life
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 131
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/13/2010 4:41:48 PM
Then I must be speed dating.....hmmm.......
I heard another term today that was new to me.......women don't want to be wives anymore.....but they still want to be married....and men are okay with this. New term something I had never thought of before.....it means they are more partners. They don't cook or clean and neither do the men....so who is doing all this stuff? And who can afford to be a non wife or non husband....no more traditional marriages.
 oldkid
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/13/2010 8:59:06 PM
I think I'm old enough to speak to the subject (55+). Yes, there may be some fantasy but sometimes there is a little bit of reality there also. A few other posters have talked about the difference between the different female age groups and how they react to us older guys.

When I go out, I rarely see any attractive women in there 50s or 60s. Many women in there 30s and 40s won't take the time to acknowledge that we exist. So what is left are the much younger ones who do seem to show some interest in us even if it is only platonic. I have more female friends in their 20s than any other age group. It is more enjoyable to have a bunch of hugs and a few kisses from an attractive 25 year old that is your friend than have sex with an overweight 60 year old. Besides, the 25 year olds make excellent fantasy material!!!! Maybe that fantasy will turn into reality some day; I'll just have some fun while I wait.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 134
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/14/2010 4:40:59 AM

It is more enjoyable to have a bunch of hugs and a few kisses from an attractive 25 year old that is your friend than have sex with an overweight 60 year old. Besides, the 25 year olds make excellent fantasy material!!!! Maybe that fantasy will turn into reality some day; I'll just have some fun while I wait.

Plenty of fit men and women over the age of 50 and 60.. However they might not be as interested in a married man like yourself.. So I would think that would be more of their issue as to why you might not be attracting them.

Enjoy the fantasy with your 25 year olds while I sit here and count my blessings..

thecatsmeoww
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 138
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/14/2010 5:12:55 AM

(i thought he may have fallen overboard on one of his enlightening cruises)..

Yahoo now Daffy is having a fantasy we can all share in..

thecatsmeoww
 FluffyBrain
Msg: 139
Men over 55!
Posted: 1/14/2010 5:18:29 AM
lol so this is what i look forward sometime in the next 10-15 yrs. geez, i was naive as a kid. i simply thought old folks were just old. i would have never imagined all of these machinations. it always used to strike me as funny too when you'd read about some celeb shaving 5 yrs off...i always wondered what really was the point past a certain age. now i find out guys pushing 50-60 were probably all hot for me in my 20's!!! i never even imagined it. i was silly enough to think they were just the kindly old folks. i knew it would happen one day, but that day seemed so far off...it was almost unimaginable. i guess as we grow older, we still feel the same as when we were younger...we just wonder who the hell is in that mirror! who would have known? you know what, i think i just had an epiphany, people do not grow old gracefully! i think i'll stick my head in the sand for the next few decades...as i slither closer and closer to that thing we call death!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >