Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 443
view profile
History
Men over 55!Page 8 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
^^^^Actually, I don't think there is anything wrong with women that our Christian based society didn't cause...or the men for that matter. We are just very different in every way, and nature laid out or DNA....but religions with their infinte ignorance dictated how we ought to live. Love is also a conditional thing that in most cases has a variable shelf life...beyond that, we are usually kidding ourselves.

In the beginning we lived as tribes of hunters and gatherers and knew nothing of biology or science. We had no idea of how a woman got pregnant or by who....we just knew what caused it and everybody did it. There was no pairing off to separate caves for an isolated life of one man, woman and child together. Nobody knew who's child was who's, and didn't care, because they were raised and loved by the whole community. Men hunted and shared the heavy work together, and for the most part, hung out together except for slipping off to mate.....and usually with a different woman each time. There was no jealousy, because there was no ownership or need for it.

With women, it was pretty much the same, they picked fruits and berries together, taylored animal skins for the men and themselves and kept the village fires going. They hung out together with the children and made jokes about how small Musat's willy was.

Nothings changed today.....just watch what happens at a party or social gathering... the men go one way, and the women go the other, and we have fun with our same sex comrads. If you think about it....that's the major driving force behind a social gathering.....bringing a tribe together, yet separating the sexes. If we did that daily...the divorce rate would go to zero. Men and women have little to nothing in common, and that's the way it was meant to be for obvious reasons. I enjoy and can endure a mans company far better than a womans outside of romance and sex....that's why we go hunting and fishing together. Put a bunch of women and kids together, and all you hear is laughter and fun. 10,000 years ago, that's the way we lived and our DNA is still hardwired the same.

There is nothing wrong with women or men....we just live a life in conflict with natures plan. Somehow in the past, we allowed merchant bullies to become rulers and invent Gods to control us like sheep. People were never meant to wind up alone because a spouse left or died...or their children grew up. It's a cruel joke placed on us by the ruling class behind your religions.

Take that rare white headed couple that everybody seems to envy for surviving a life long marriage, and get them off to the side for an honest talk.....if they are honest, they will tell you it was pure hell and heart break much of the time, but they honored their marriage vows for the sake of family and fear of being alone. Kudos to them, but I just don't think life was meant to be that much of a struggle.

I salute China's "Mosuo tribe"....the last remaining intelligent people on earth!.....I didn't say intellectual. LOL
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 444
Men over 55!
Posted: 11/30/2012 12:42:56 PM
Hey Second Hand Lion, I know you are old but damn If had no idea you were that old that you remember the good old days of men still living in caves... What you discribe is more of an ape style of living then men.. There is very stronge evidence that 40,000 years ago there was a family unit already.As homosapiens our way of thinking and our DNA didn't change much for over 100.000 years. We did learn more and we did evolve over time. Women always went after the men with power. Be it a good hunter a fighter, doctor or a lawyer. Money is the new power. Men always went after the more atractive women which shows more vitality... We are still the same cave dwelling animals we used to be..
Religions as we know them are more of a new thing for us. To explain and make us feel better and give us that feeling that we have some control over our lives. Help us explain the unknown and and just make us feel there is more to it then there really is..
 Giggles10000
Msg: 445
Men over 55!
Posted: 11/30/2012 11:34:57 PM
Lion, sorry but that is out and out garbage--almost everything you listed had a materialistic value on it, I am not trying to be mean but you would trade waking up looking into someone one you care about eyes, seeing their smile, hearing their voice, feeling their touch, or better coming home to someone who would embrace you at the door, rub your shoulders, hand you a drink and ask about your day..someone who will sit by your side if you did have a stroke or turn down the job in LA cause they feel what you had as a couple are more important and couldn't compare with the salary increase to move away from you.

Sounds like you never had someone love you --they just used you and now you wish to just use someone back..if you found an intelligent women who got you--then things would be different but you probably have your own reasons why that wont work either so Ill leave you to your own miserable solo existence but don't be mad at women for realizing how many more wonderful things there are in life than sex. HOWEVER with the right person the sex can be OMG heavenly.

BTW who said you couldn't cook or clean...both of my ex-husbands did and I made more money than both of them put together...you chose the type of women that you were involved with...and now you wish to blame all women for your own choice.

None of it had to do with love, sharing, togetherness but it did have to do with attitude, you feel that a woman is limited in what she can be to you and so you go into relationships being nice to one to get sex from her and then after a bit when feelings develop you CHOSE to move on rather than risk losing control over your own domain, afraid of being hurt, used or taken for granted again? You sound bitter, angry and one step shy of hateful. And stupid women think their golden coochie will be the one that motivates you to want to have more of a relationship with them than you did with the past women in your life, so I am sure you will find plenty in the next few years to reconfirm your poor view of most women.

See if you were an honest man you would post this on your profile so women would understand that you will be nice to them because you want sex and nothing more...you want to use someone's body and then go back to your own cave and you justify it with the whole outdated caveman crap which no one really knows cause they have been gone for centuries and it is again just a guess about how life was ..and each culture had it's own way of doing things. You wont bother yourself to try and find a rightful mate, someone to encourage, motivate, honor and give you a reason to wanna live life with passion, to want to dance in the rain, to want to be more now than ever...just stay in your cave and convince the desperate clingy needy women that you really have it all figured out and what they really want and need from a man is a sham and the stay overs are really a great thing for both genders..who cares who really gets hurt in the long run.
 dinnerdate4u
Msg: 446
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/1/2012 6:26:48 AM
I disagree. A mature lady is preferred. I think they are beautiful
 ohenryx
Msg: 447
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/1/2012 7:49:48 AM
My goodness, there is a lot of garbage in this thread, from both sides of the great sexual divide.

Allow me to refute a little of this:

1. I like my cooking better.

I don’t cook, but I don’t really need to. Anyone who would ever contemplate getting married to have a live-in cook has serious mental problems.

2. I like my house cleaning better...I don't ram the vacum cleaner into a 2000.00 speaker cabinet or leave scuff marks all over the baseboard molding.

I used to have a pair of speakers that cost me almost that much. But my wife (at the time) knew exactly how much they cost. She was with me when I bought them, she knew how many months I spent listening to different makes and models before settling on exactly the right speakers for my ears. She appreciated and respected my expensive possessions, just as I appreciated and respected hers.

3. I can hand wash a two dishes, without thirty gallons of water and 30 minutes of noise from a dishwasher.

My ex-wife was a very good cook. Leading a very busy life, like most modern Americans, she seldom cooked. But when she did, I was happy to wash dishes afterwards. When we first got together, we had some disagreements about dish washing. She was a big fan of dishwashers, and would sometimes pull dishes from the dishwasher and stack them in the cabinet without inspecting. I absolutely hate pulling a clean dish from the cabinet and finding specks of old dried up food. So we compromised – she cooked and I cleaned up.

4. My keys are where I put them....and I always remember where that is.

I have a “key hanger”, just inside the front door. All keys go there. Period.

5. My fridge is in order with the most used items in the front....and out of date items hit the trash quick.

Not something I’m concerned about, but I’ll bet if I was I could find a way to compromise with another intelligent adult.

6. I can lean or touch against my bathroom sink without getting powder or make up all over my pants.

When we were young and starting out, my ex-wife and I had a few problems with that. Later on, we lived in a much bigger house with 2.5 baths, problem solved. His and hers.

7. I can actually use my phone without waiting for an hour.

You must be talking about a land line. I remember those, from back in the last millennium. Does anyone still have one of those?

8. It takes more effort to complain about a toilet seat position, than it does to change it.

Repeating yourself, aren’t you? See number 6, above.

9. I don't want your three dogs and two cats in my house.

My ex-wife and I were both animal lovers. If you’re not an animal lover, then don’t marry one. Are you beginning to see just how simple this is?

10. I don't want your family bugging me to fix their broken sh*t in my work shop.
11. I don't want your brother and his wife dropping in un-announced from Oklahoma
12. I don't want to be a short term loan company for your kids.
13. I don't want your ex-husband calling here about some lie he claims you told your kids about him.

Legitimate issues, I’ll grant you. But guess what? Those days are long gone. The women I’m dating these days no longer have kids living at home, they have grandchildren instead. I love it. Looking at your profile, you’re 3 years older than me. This should not be an issue for you, not for a number of years now.

17. I love my closet space without the fifty dresses you haven't been able to fit into since high school.

See my answer to number 6. By this point in your life, you can’t afford a house with two closets?

18. I'm 100% debt free, including mortgage and have only managed that by being single.

There are a lot of married people out there who are debt free. When I got divorced, we were debt free and had a pretty good net worth.

14. I like my freedom without owing anyone an explanation of where I'm going, or when I'll return.
15. I like earning my money and spending it as I see fit.
16. I'm not interested in your religion or care to debate it with you.
20. I like my decorating with mild earth tones....I need sunglasses when you girls go after something with a paint roller.

Now these 4 are real, and legitimate. And they are a large part of why I may never get married again. Largely from reading these forums, I have learned that there are a lot of people, including many women, who feel the same way. I’m beginning to think that a long term committed relationship, without marriage, each maintaining their own domicile, just may be the right answer. Then again, I was pretty damned happy for most of the 27 years that I was married. Time will tell, and I am not going to burn any bridges BEFORE I come to them.

Now for the other side:

Giggles10000
I am not trying to be mean but you would trade waking up looking into someone one you care about eyes, seeing their smile, hearing their voice, feeling their touch, or better coming home to someone who would embrace you at the door, rub your shoulders, hand you a drink and ask about your day

I get what you’re trying to say, but there are two problems here. Number one, the way you put it, I could counter that my dog greets me at the door, is always happy to seem me, etc. And number two, you are describing Ozzie and Harriet, Leave It To Beaver type households. Life hasn’t been like that for many decades. Both parties work, and neither party is going to be waiting at home to pamper you and ask about your day.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 448
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/1/2012 8:30:02 AM

I'd like a 'younger' lady......
Not the ~Fantasy-type~....22-26 y.o. ....
Just younger than me.
As much as I could really get into someone 30 yrs younger...
.It's just too Highly Improbable that someone of that age bracket would have an attraction for someone 55+.
I'm more in the market for someone between 38 and 55.....
with the chemistry and drive to make an equal effort with me

Sorry, "Natgoat," but i just can't resist tossing my two cents here ----- and i stress: they are my two cents and only my two cents which means by the time they are posted they'll be worth 1.99999 cents! You are entitled to your age preferences just as much as anyone else. BUT IT'S MEN WITH YOUR AGE PREFERENCES THAT KEEP WOMEN LIKE ME FOREVER OUT OF THEIR LOOP AND OUT OF THEIR HEARTS! Ahhhhhhhh. . . that felt good:) So anyway, as i was calmly sharing my opinion. . . i sure wish men (and women) would consider that there are many many wonderful people THEIR OWN AGE (ooooops: did i type that?) who can love them gigglegirl (or guy) silly for the rest of their natural days. Sigh. . . OK. I'm going to go out and walk 6 miles now. See me go. Hear me sigh. . . P.S. Love u -- and your tongue in check humor, "Secondhand_Lion." And P.P.S. If we ever defy the odds, meet, and fall as madly in love as my instincts scream we just might, you can cook whenever the hades you's like ---- i totally despise abhor and can't stand cooking which is a real pain in my day because i also rarely eat out because i try hard to eat only non-processed saturated with fancy sauces and insanely high menu prices foods. Which means i spend too much time of my too old for most men my age life cooking!
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 449
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/1/2012 9:01:44 AM
Both parties work, and neither party is going to be waiting at home to pamper you and ask about your day

Even Ozzie and Harriet settle into retirement not long after the age of 55.

Oneryx you state that you have your finances in order and you are 61 I would think that you could easily imagine households where neither of you are working and both of you are comfortably retired.

Even in my mid 50's I have friends my age that no longer have to worry about thier working lives. Having someone there to talk to about your day and preferrable be able to share your day is one of the benifits of having a partner.

As far as the cooking goes I would much rather cook than do dishes and the noise of a dishwashing machine is not my idea of after dinner music.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 450
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/1/2012 9:37:58 AM
Geez Lion..Women don't want to share your bathroom..esp after you have cooked your meal, eaten it and then "discarded it".

Who ever f'd with your head did a dam good job and you let them keep doing it.

Even in my mid 50's I have friends my age that no longer have to worry about thier working lives. Having someone there to talk to about your day and preferrable be able to share your day is one of the benifits of having a partner.

^^^^^^^

There's a gem
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 451
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/1/2012 9:56:38 AM

OPI have now seen a few posts from you folks who say that men over 55 are more or less into fantasy and not the dating scene! If this is true, then I only have a few years left as a datable commodity! lol....Is this really true???

I can't answer, obviously, from a male perspective but from my side of the fence what I've seen is men in their 50s temporarily pull out of the serious/longterm relationship pool while they 'find themself'. Then, in their 60s something jells and they're back. Not saying this is 100%. It has been my experience with the men I've met who are in their 50s and 60s.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 452
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/1/2012 12:56:01 PM

wonder5750 said:

At this age is it really necessary to remarry? Its not like you are going to be starting a family, and it seems it would a lot less complicated if you didn't marry. I like living alone, I have a decent life, I just wanted someone to share with. Doesn't seem like too much to ask at all.

No...it's not necessary to remarry. I am not against marriage, works for many, but it's not my ultimate goal. I too like the way things are, happy and uncomplicated. I honestly don't think I would be good at co-habitating with someone... not anymore. But that doesn't stop me from wanting someone in my life....

...mae
 di_nam_ik
Msg: 453
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/1/2012 6:22:44 PM
As I read Lions statement, I was thinking the same thing you wrote as a comment!!!! Who the he** would want to even bother with a man like that is beyond me!!!! Well said....you go girl!
 timeforall
Msg: 454
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/1/2012 6:52:14 PM
Lion is giving his honest opinions and the shrill responses from the women here are the reason he feels like he does. You women need to get over yourselves. Not all men put you on a pedestal and a many of us realize that in the long run you are going to disappoint us. Yea, we will have sex with you. Doesn't mean we need to fall in love at this stage of our lives.

Who the he** would want to even bother with a man like that is beyond me

Tons of women would want to bother. I suspect Lion has absolutely no problem in the dating department because of the way he is. In fact, he is exactly what most women want.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 455
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/1/2012 7:26:38 PM

Lion is giving his honest opinions and the shrill responses from the women here are the reason he feels like he does. You women need to get over yourselves. Not all men put you on a pedestal and a many of us realize that in the long run you are going to disappoint us. Yea, we will have sex with you. Doesn't mean we need to fall in love at this stage of our lives.

Who the he** would want to even bother with a man like that is beyond me

Tons of women would want to bother. I suspect Lion has absolutely no problem in the dating department because of the way he is. In fact, he is exactly what most women want.

The point you are missing is Lion is welcome to do whatever he wants, his issue was the fact that once involved with a woman they want more ...because he isnt clear at the start that he will never want more or cause the woman thinks her golden coochie will convince him otherwise..as long as he isnt lying or misleading anyone about his intentions then there isnt any issue..however, if you go back and reread the things he used as justification for not wanting anything more than a **** buddy you will see a man who has been used and used hard by someone..... it is just sad that he hasn't healed and doesnt trust himself to love someone.

As far as to him being exactly what most women want--only to the extend they feel sorry for him and want to prove to him they are different...yanno they pity him for never having had something real that was worth wanting to have with another person..but I think if he was really really honest with himself there is another issue or issues...he doesnt feel he can attract the type of person he really wants so he settles for someone to satisfy his basic needs...he doesnt want to risk losing anything at this point in his life in case it doesnt work....showing he doesnt trust his own judgement of other people.

Yes it is hard to put yourself out there and risk losing ...your heart, your head and/or the financial complications involved but for some of us to do otherwise is to be limiting our lives, we have had the real love, companionship etc and why would we settle for being a **** buddy to someone who hasnt dont the work required to be healed enough for a real relationship.

I am not asking him to change who he is or what he wants, and i dont think he is asking me to change who i am or what i want ... we are just explaining WHY there is two sides to a coin and two different views on the subject.
 picklemayomustard
Msg: 456
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/4/2012 6:05:35 AM
All I know is I am into the same things as in my 20's. And I do the same things, plus more. No ED, no ailments. I keep moving and stay fit. I just look older. Feel young.
 14the_road
Msg: 457
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/7/2012 1:11:58 PM
It would be nice to find someone my age (54).
I dont feel like dealing with someone else's midlfe crisis again. lol
 Rac111555
Msg: 458
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/7/2012 6:04:58 PM
Ouch, i didn't think i was old until i read this thread..i feel (most times) and act like i am in my 30's. now i know why i dont get any replies to my emails...
 natgoat227
Msg: 459
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/7/2012 9:01:16 PM
My apologies, 'Ready....'...I didn't mean to offend...
(When I wrote that , I was debating just what # to plug-in, there...and obviously chose wrong...~forgive?~)
But it's So rare to find a woman older than I...that is anywhere Nearly as attractive as _You_...and still Available!!
And....Not to Worry...I'm a _Great_ cook!!!
(My late wife was almost 4 yrs older)
 Ready_Real
Msg: 460
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/7/2012 9:14:12 PM
Why, shucks, Nate. . .
no apology necessary: we all have our preferences, and you can't put a square peg into a round hole (or a round peg into a square hole? or a round peg into a ??? ) Well, um, anyway. . . as I was saying, I may not like the truth. In fact, the truth may leave me SHOUTING in exclamatory mode with frustration. But the truth is the truth: the days of societal reverence for age are over, and in today's world, a person can never be too rich, too thin, or too young. This acknowledged, we 45ers who are here have made our decision to handle the truth like it or not---- and keep on hoping that somewhere within a few continents (or states!) of us is a 45+ wo /man thrilled to date someone her/his own age!
 natgoat227
Msg: 461
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/7/2012 9:48:26 PM
'Ready...'...
I'd be _Honored_ to date such a lovely lady as yourself!!~~~ Write me??~~~
(Who's the Sabre-fan??...I grew up near the Buffalo Airport!)
~Hope Springs Eternal~
 14the_road
Msg: 462
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/8/2012 9:01:24 AM
You ladies need to look at other ladies profiles. Its not just men, you'll find that most women like most men looking for someone who is younger than themselves.

Ive been on here for a while and for the most part the people who arent here to find a life partner. Its men who want sex and women who want money. just like the rea; world - you sift thru the pebbles and find a few jewels now and then.

I hope
 gofurguy
Msg: 463
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/13/2012 7:22:47 AM
i have been called a dreamer most of my life, its not because i live in a fantasy world its because i use my dreams to bring things to life. then act on them.i am 61 now and still have a good sex life. you can blame life on anything you want if your not getting lucky in dating . i keep seeing so many single women are out there looking for a good guy, well ladies heres the truth, so many out there looking are really good looking ladies and i cant believe a guy has grabbed you long ago.how many good guys are left, you beautiful women out number us big time.the competition is fierce, put your best foot forward
 browneyesboo
Msg: 464
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/13/2012 7:51:01 AM
I don't think it matters how old you are or what you are looking for
age wise in a SO, but I do find it amusing some of the profiles here
bemoaning the fact they can't find younger, "attractive" women to
date, when what the really mean is they can't find younger, "attractive"
women to date that will date them.

Just on the forums alone, there are many single, attractive women in
their 40's, 50's and 60's, and not all of them have tons of baggage and
issues. I don't scope out women's profiles, but I can't believe there aren't
more available than some would have us believe.

There are plenty of "good" men and "good" women on these threads,
it's amazing to me some haven't hooked up yet. Must be a reason?

I agree with gofurguy. "You can blame life on anything you want if you're not
getting lucky in dating". I don't think we can blame the lack of available
single people out there.
 onthewater11
Msg: 465
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/15/2012 8:53:37 PM
Confusion - my experience with men over 55 is very confusing. The latest example is tonight's date. A nice enough man, we have met before. He asked me to pick a movie to see, so I gave him several picks. Once decided, he then said we could do dinner and/or drinks afterwards, and I said great!

The movie was fine, and then after he asked if I wanted some coffee (no) and I asked him if he wanted to get a bite (per his date request) or a drink and he said no, he was fine. ! So I went home. He said we would see each other again, and appears very interested.

Did he forget he invited me to dinner too? Should I have said something? He isn't cheap or broke. Wondering....
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 466
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/15/2012 9:03:59 PM
^^^had the same thing happen to me on a date with a guy in his mid-50's it but not such a great date. He invited me for after work drinks and dinner. He bought a round and an hour later, I bought a round. He talked my ear off non-stop about his mother in a nursing home for two hours and the only person I even said boo to was the waitress. By seven pm, I was getting hungry so I asked if he was ready for a menu, he said no. Alrighty, then! 2 beers is not dinner and drinks and I had had enough. It was the only time I ever excused myself to the bathroom and did not come back. ( he contacted me for a second date...I wonder if he even realized I had left! I blocked him.)

My best dates have been with men 2-9 years younger or with older men who were married for 20+ years...for some reason they are more attentive and polite.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 467
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/16/2012 5:38:48 AM

Once decided, he then said we could do dinner and/or drinks afterwards, and I said great!

The movie was fine, and then after he asked if I wanted some coffee (no) and I asked him if he wanted to get a bite (per his date request) or a drink and he said no, he was fine. ! So I went home. He said we would see each other again, and appears very interested.

He asked you about coffee cause he wanted coffee, he didnt want to eat or to get a drink--maybe he was falling asleep and needed the coffee--you turned him down and so he turned you down--not sure why that is confusing...

some men/ women when they ask if you want to do something --it is their way of saying "I want to do this"

It does show a communications thing--balls in your court--if you go out with him again and he asks you to go get coffee to simply say--is that what you want to do or would you prefer to get a bite or a drink and then go from there--

I dont think it is an over 55 thing at all it is just some men are very hard to comprehend what they want--maybe they had a wife who henpecked them before .

@blonde...not so sure why sneaking was required ...wouldn't it have been just as easy to go back to the table and say Im sorry I need to leave this isnt working for me vs making the poor man sit there the whole time wondering what happened.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >