Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Is living at home with parents such a turn off for dating someone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Huggablehottie
Msg: 26
Is living at home with parents such a turn off for dating someone?Page 2 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
For me, it would depend on the reasons as to why the guy lives at home.
If he is living at home, solely because he is a mama's boy, and has to
listen to everything she says, then that is a turn off!
Actually being 26, and living at home is not bad.
 tcky123
Msg: 27
Is living at home with parents such a turn off for dating someone?
Posted: 10/12/2006 1:07:33 AM
well I am not going to judge every guy who lives home with their parents are losers but I must say my ex husband live with his parents from day one when we got married and I lived at my in laws for a few years and let me tell you they were nice people but I needed to be on my own but he never wanted to go because he admit he is scared to go and rent an apartment and become independent and as a year go by I felt we were not working out and I got a better job and moved out on my own and guess what he still lived with his parents at the age of 43.lol to me that is not a good thing.
 BarneySquirrel
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2006 2:13:55 AM
Well, I think it all depends on circumstances. I'm 33 and living with my parents, but only because my step father has cancer and my mum can't cope by herself. I wouldn't say I'm happy living with them..I left a well-paid job to move here and devon is hardly exciting, and I miss my old life, but what can you do?
 vnillamousse
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/22/2006 12:26:27 PM
Tango!

"Grow up! I mean you are how old? I think it is time for you to say good-bye to your parents and become a MAN! You are a little boy still! Maybe you should watch failure to launch! You can't take care of yourself never mind someone else. How do you even have a date? "Yes my parents are out for the weekend! .. woohoo" You are so childish. How do you have sex? This doesn't bother your parents? Or do you take turns seeing who can be louder? If I was your mom, I would moan soooooooo loud, you would pack your bags and leave the house!"

Grow up?? Bawahhhhhhh. You are 18. This site should actually restrict its members to 21 and up. You would not be considered a grown up yet...sorry. All we have to do is read your above post. Gee..where would a potential date meet you? At the mall or in your latch key program?

GEEEZ! The OP is 23 or 24..doesn't mention whether he was in school or specific circumstances. No matter...if you read the other posts as to reasonable explanations for being home or returning home you might actually gain some respect for ADULTS and insight to what life can sometimes bring. Life happens at breakneck speed and we are all fairly powerless when it comes to fate/destiny. I shudder to ponder yours with an attitude like that.

To further illustrate your childish tendencies, the bulk of your post is about sex. The OP did not address that issue...seems he's one of those rare young men that has already developed some respect for women and himself by not being so crass. Hey, maybe he's thinking about it but that was not the advice he was looking for.

"If I was your mom..." PLEASE DO NOT PRO-CREATE. Spare us all the misery of dealing with your future offspring and all the suffering they may endure with you as a mother.

VM
 sparticuss
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/23/2006 6:00:57 AM
It's a turn off among the 80% of nerotic females who are hung up on everthing that makes for less than the mythical "perfect man"

It's any minor , petty, defect that these neurotics blow out of all proportion.

And its not just living at home. My brother left home, and school age 15 when a plumb job came up interstate. For the next five years he had trouble pulling dates because the girls all assumed he was a juvenile crim who had fled home and the law to be living on his own at that age.
 sparticuss
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/23/2006 6:04:58 AM
has been in and out of jail more times than I can count...but hey he still gets some chicks.
So there must be some girls out there willing to deal with your living at your parents...but not me.

======================
You got it ass about Sanity

It's nothing to do with living at home. Chicks dig the bad boys with crim records cause, when they bust up, the girls can always take the moral high ground. Regardless of where they live.
 frenchbearman
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2006 4:55:15 PM
You just need to find women that are still living at home, they will understand.
 crazychristy266
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/26/2006 6:27:26 PM
for me i find it a turn off. im a single mom of 4 kids.. if i can manage living on my own, then i think anyone can do it lol.
 cuteazabutton
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2007 6:56:36 AM
Well i have to say that i like younger men than myself from their mid twenties and up and i have chatted with a few that still live at home. I dont think its a big deal because first of all rent can be very expensive in a city. The only problem i have with it is when they are trying to hide the fact that they like older women than themselves from their parents and u cant talk on the phone with them for the fear that they will have to explain who's on it when asked by parents. Also because its their parents phone they cant ever call u (which that doesnt bother me as much since i do have a good long distance plan).

Also i would hope that the guy can at least have enough money to take me out since he is living at home and doesnt have that much to pay out. Not that were not in the day and age where we can go dutch. I have a 15 yr old son who's getting close to the age that he can be on his own but im not going to kick him out because ive raised him alone on my own since he's been born and i want to spend as much time with him as i can but that if he does decide to go that will be fine with me too.

So to the OP if the women u date dont understand then you should continue looking until u find someone who will.
 gem4gent
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/28/2007 12:01:22 PM
it depends on what is gfoing on for one i had to sell my home in pa and move in with my dad to take care of him in he's last yrs it was that or nurseing home for him. 26 is still young to me and good jobs are hard to find these days.and the omore you save the better off you are. i have bought my son his own home so he has no morg but he 22 and has a roommate to help with the bills he has but he was lucky now i meet a gut in here that lived with his parents a apt off there home he 36 yrs old and has a income when i asked what he pay's them in he say nothing just cuts the grass for them i almost fell over he told me he was looking to get married again and i own my home free and clear 36 living off parents they probably looking to get rid off him and i was running from the free loader as fast as i could i'm not looking to get marreid i feel bad for the guy he lost his wife 6 yrs ago but its time for him to move on and grow up . not goingto be his next meal ticket
 angelmeforu
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2008 2:44:49 PM
no, not at all if you can save money.
Now, if you were 40, then ladies will run like hell!!
 angelmeforu
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2008 2:45:13 PM
exactly, you run like hell
 cfb62
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2008 12:39:30 PM
If you still feel the need to live with your parents (unless you're supporting your parents) then you're not yet in a position to enter a relationship.
Just casually date.
 evrybdy
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2008 11:26:07 PM
People on here are just too sad I don't know how to take it, but whether or not you live in a small place all by your lonesome is not a good judge of your character. I am more proud of a man that might live at home with his family and takes care of them and puts in his fair share of the family duties while going to school, working and doing whatever else inspires that person, than someone who values status and the almighty dollar to show how he is not a team player and only thinking about himself. Maybe it's one half of the culture I grew up in, but family to me is very important. And I give a big thumbs down to people saying they don't like a man living with his family, because, oh, their first priority is how soon they can get in each other's pants? Another sad sign of our culture! Ugh! Anyway, there's my rant.lol Dark Knight, don't let these people get you down!

Oh, and I lived with my mom for all the years I had her in my life and I don't regret one minute of the fun, the laughs and time I spent with her. I surely don't want to look back and wonder why I didn't spend more time with her when it's too late. And yes, I made enough at my job to pay everything because my mom helped me go to school and get a good education and she deserved the best back in return. =)

M
 cfb62
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 6:06:42 AM
Don't compare anything you do with anyone else and what they do/don't do.
Huge mistake.
 Ender330
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 8:53:04 AM
I think it is a complete turn on at least around my city. Women gravitate to a guy who is still and home or is still living with another chic, girlfriend, wife, whatever...
 cdmiller
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 8:32:53 PM
With the global economy crapping out and Foreclosures and Unemployment rapidly increasing, I bet that alot of people are going to have to live with the parents, friends, etc, when they would rather not have to....
 MGaeta211
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2008 6:25:45 PM
Ahh, don't listen to all the hype. You just make sure YOUR ready to go out on your own. Now if it comes up in a future relationship, just be honest why you are still living at home. There is no shame with living with mom and dad for financial reasons. Some ladies on here have a problem with it for some strange reason, why? Beats me. They say it's a mama's boy syndrome. I say BAH to them. It's BS! I'm guessing that they don't care for their parents(assuming) and was just waiting to get the hell outta Dodge.

I still live at home, why, cause I choose to, I am not able to go out on my own just as yet. I am in a great relationship and my S/O thinks it's so cute, why, I dunno. So, just take your time, and then again, no one really has to know unless it is brought up.
 sweetguy6
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/24/2009 9:24:26 AM
WOW!!!! I forgot this thread even existed and that I created it 3 years ago!!! I'm even more surprised at all the replies, but I do thank each and every one of you for posting as it is good to see such a broad range of peoples opinions/feelings on the matter.

Now I'm sure you're probably wondering if since I made the original post a few years ago if I have moved out or continue to still live with parents. The answer is that I'm no longer living with my parents and I'm renting a house with a roommate. I do have a full time job now that is decent and has good benefits and it is great to be out on my own. I'm even looking to get another car now since my current one is on the fritz. Unfortunately, I'm still not in the dating arena but it is nice to say at least that when I do try to get to know someone that I do have a place of my own and not living with parents. I do really have to thank one of my best friends for being persistent and letting me know the value of being out on your own and independent. Now I just need to find a good singles group around where I live instead of always falling for the women that are always taken!
 ffryan
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2010 5:55:36 PM
Each individual scenario is unique. It depends why somebody is living at home. I lived at home for many years because it helped me save up. It wasn't because I was a bum or afraid to leave the nest. Staying at home was the smart financial decision that will benefit me for the rest of my life.

Sure I could have moved out, been forced to have a roomate, live day to day, not have much money to invest in my own future because I was struggling financially. Instead I sucked up my pride and saved my money. I'm 28, have a great career, own my own home in Toronto, own my own vehicle, have money to do renos, have money to have a life, and can save, and don't need a roomate to make ends meet. My mortgage is 60% what it would have been if I moved out years ago. I'll be in debt a shorter time. Which was the intelligent decision? Did I get rejected by a few women while I was living at home? Yes. Does it bother me? Absolutely not. They were more interested in apperances than in what was in my best interest. In hindsight I'm glad they did that because it limited my exposure to short sighted people who will hold me back in life.

Some people need to abandon their pride-based thinking because it's probably crippling you and causing you to miss out on some great things and special people in life. If I had wasted my time worrying about what people thought of me I wouldn't be in anywhere near the financial position I'm in today.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/2/2010 12:30:35 PM
I don't think its a big deal that some kids live with their parents.
I think it depends on the circumstances.

In fact, I'd rather kids live with their parents, work, contribute and
save for a house rather than move out and live in a string of apartments
struggling to save for a down payment. Not sure what the hurry is to get
kids out of the house. People in here are always taking things slow...not
wanting to jump into anything, not wanting to settle, but have no problem
with kids just out of high school or college leaping into the job market and
the apartment rentals with nothing more than a SEEYA wouldn't want to BEEYA.

Lots of people stumbing around in 3 or 4 bedroom homes, why not rent the
bedroom to someone you love?

On the other hand, I DO see the difference if someone is just plain
lazy, doesn't work and doesn't help out around the house. No reason at all for
that.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/3/2010 1:58:52 PM
It matters to a narrow-minded gold digger, or just an idiot who observes her world through a straw.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/5/2010 2:50:05 PM

Some people will never have a job that makes a lot. You think they should never date then?

No, not necessarily. If they STILL live at their parents' house, and over a certain age (23?) as a guy, they should set their expectations appropriately and not be upset that very very few women will want to date them back. If they make little money, the same goes -- although if they're out of the house, their chances are doable.

Living at your parents, whether you like it or not, or support it or not, is going to lessen your dating value. If you're still pretty young, and you go for younger gals, you can still make it by for a bit with some, sure. But unless it's temporary with a good reason, you'll see a ton of women turn away.

Why? In the VERY least, it's inconvenient for most people, even if ya feel otherwise. For a gal deciding to date past-college-age guys, him living in his parent's basement is inconvenient -- even if it is more convenient than another guy living in the room next to them. Dating requires convenience. Who the hell wants to BEGIN dating a new person inconveniently?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/6/2010 12:19:30 PM
Hey times are tough so I understand that circumstances are not what they'd normally be - so my answer will always be the same.

So long as it doesn't cost me, I don't have to meet/deal with a guy's parents in the beginning to date him, and my place doesn't end up a default hangout for sex or anything else - I don't care if a guy lives at home.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Is living at home with parents such a turn off for dating someone?