Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Michigan  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 star2gazer2000
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Would You Respond To Someone Who Doesn't Have A Photo?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
It really depends on how interesting the profile is. I usually don't .. been down that road to many times. After several emails the person usually doesn't have teeth.. WHAT is up with that? And It is only fair since I have a photo that they would have a photo too. I get real tired of hearing all the excuses why a person does not have a photo. I don't even consider them a fish worth keeping until I see a recent phote. Either have a photo ready or they get throw back into the ocean of fishy's. Happy Fishing
 italiaheartwild
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Would You Respond To Someone Who Doesn't Have A Photo?
Posted: 10/21/2006 8:45:03 AM
I already have responded to guys w/o a photo..but what I disagree with is someone that posts sexual photos of themselves to attract someone..That in itself is just not right, let alone disgusting, and not very mature at all.
Besides, we really dont know at all if the ones that do post a pic is really them or not anyways..do we?
We are all taking chances on any one of these date sites, but that is what life is all about~~taking chances.
Each of us has our own specifics that we are searching for~and each of us has the RIGHT to choose whether or not to respond to any given email or contact.
People do have the RIGHT to also hide their pics....some are more shy than others...BUT if they do not send you a pic upon request...I totally agree that they are hiding something....we all need to be a little cautious even if they do post a pic.
We are all adults here...BUT then again ...some are not!
Webcams are easy to use and cheap to buy.....easy to download to the pc also...so their really is NO excuse not to send a pic upon request....they can also be used on messenger service to see that person live...which...really helps in knowing if they are the same as in their pictures or not.
I try not to judge the guy by his looks...but we all know that Chemistry~~ both by looks and whats in someones heart also...needs to play an important part in finding someone does it not?
 darthdmun
Msg: 82
Posted: 11/1/2006 3:55:35 AM
well my pics look like crap, i am no oil painting, so what have i to hide, better get the looks i haveout now than when i meet some one and they go...oh what am i on a date with!! if they see me first, then that is half the battle won, then its up yo me not to screw up!!
 sirjameslibro1
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/1/2006 1:07:29 PM
Yes I would respond to someone who didn't have a photo. I have done this several times for the plain fact that too many choices are made purely on looks alone. Obviously, there are some people who just do not take a good picture no matter how hard they try. It doesn't mean that they are some ogre or wacked-out space-case. Choosing to place a photo on a site like this can be compromising especially if that person is married or lives in a small town where anyone in that town can create a problem, even accidentally.
I chose not to place a photo on my profile because I want the interest placed in me to be natural and not focused just on looks alone. There is more to me than that just like there is more to everyone reading this. Photos can be taken care of days or even weeks later. People judge too quickly on looks alone and this site gives everyone the chance at a semi-level playing field in meeting someone. What words, attitudes, and character are in the profile is more important than if a person has blonde hair, wears glasses, or likes to ride Harleys. None of those apply to me but that is something that can be discussed during the initial stages of any relationship. Don't screw it up basing everything on a single photo. Some of the nicest people I hace written back and forth with are those I never once saw a picture of. Am I unhappy because of this....not really, I still made a friend who swims in the same little pond. We are all fish in this pond. Don't get "hooked" by a picture of a pretty "worm" which may not even be the person on the other end at all.
 wannakyssxxx666
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/1/2006 10:49:05 PM
nopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
 brwneyes59
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2006 4:52:35 PM
No, I would not...what are they trying to hide?
 mcopado
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2006 5:48:29 PM
I have to agree. I also am less inclined to initiate contact, or even look at a profile that doesn't have a picture. Realistically this is a dating site, and as much as many people would say "it is not about the looks" there still is a part of us that wants to find a person that they find attractive (based on whatever self imposed definition they have for "attractive, that is.)
 mcopado
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2006 6:02:29 PM
Intresting, but not surprising demographic on this topic...Those with pictures say they wouldn't respond to someone who doesn't have a picture, and those without a pic, say it doesn't matter...hmmm
 bzzyhd
Msg: 99
Posted: 2/15/2007 7:18:07 AM
I probably would if their profile interested me. A picture is just a picture what are you afraid of?? They might not like my looks?? Looks are not everything. It's what's in that persons heart and soul I look at.
 septembermoon47
Msg: 109
Posted: 10/2/2008 7:58:39 PM
I would and have responded (as well as initiated contact ) with out a photo..but heck..thants just me..I do want to know what is inside as well as outside of a person..I would meet some one who didnt have a pic..say,...didnt have a digital image..and i have brought my camera a few times to take a pic and send to them so they can use it..face it many dont want to post a pic..its like every one will know who you are and that your on a dating site..oh well after a bit of time..you dont really care..living in smalltown USA it is difficult to realise others know who you are or potentially who you are...who cares..I am not put off by that any more...I have talked to some who have a hang up and that is all on them..But..I do like to see who i am chatting with..but..its not first and formost, for me..jmo
 septembermoon47
Msg: 110
Posted: 10/2/2008 8:06:55 PM
FYI
Kat...i have been told i look basically like my photos..I know you made your comment a long time ago about most not looking like their photo...I know i do..or think i do..also..I agree..most dont show anything but perfect shots..thats why i placed a lot on my profile...and not just perfect poses...cuz..your right...not always are you in perfect light..some days your nose does run..get red...or your hair is messy or pulled back..its a good way to see if its a good representation or your over all look and not a fluke or in best possable light...Thats why i show a pic with cats and dogs too..since some dont like animals..and with out saying a word i let them know..yep....4 legged creatures share my life and house..and..if your allergic or anti animal..well..we just may not jive so save a step and just click away...lol...
 septembermoon47
Msg: 112
Posted: 10/2/2008 8:18:48 PM
I know from what i have gleened over time about men and pics is most just want to make sure your not shall i say it..over weight...and..i dont blame any one if that is a deal breaker for them, we are all entitled to our preferences...I dont ( personally) care if its just chatting...I can yack to any one and have...i do how ever not want to waste any one elses time..In my case..I am tall..and if your a man who likes small petite gals..well..to each his own..i say...I may not be that..but can debate and yack till the cows come home if you want..But if its a thing where your trying to figure out if you want to meet or not...well..pics might be the way to go...I have seen some I suspect are married and therefor cant very well post a pic for fear the cat will be out of the perverbial bag...But...if someone is hell best on deception..they will always be one step ahead of you because they are skilled at deception...I for one am not going to loose sleep about that..it all comes out in the wash..and...the fact they never seem to be able to meet or find one excuse after another is a dead give away...JMO
 septembermoon47
Msg: 115
Posted: 10/3/2008 5:34:46 AM
I agree basically, too Robbity...although it seems many ( guys especially) dont have any pics laying around...face it..many are divorced and maybe they didnt get custody of the scrap books ...and or technology to take and store digitial pics.( if they are starting over) .and as i mentioned I have met and taken pics and emailed them back...ironically i do believe now that i think of it...they dont post them now that i give it thought...

I do think there has to be a level of attraction..But...I ( personally) dont make a split decision on photo alone..I do how ever get an idea..as example...I like hip young acting/ feeling people..and say all is going well conversation wise and we meet and the guy has a pony tail..something i am not real keen on...not a deal breaker but I guess i am more traditional and maybe like more clean cut looking men. If I got a pic I could make a decision based on that or i could still see what makes him tick..and I just might find if we did meet he got a hair cut. I did meet a guy once who had a psycial deformity and as much as i want to say i am more highly evolved i guess i am not..I do have to say it was not my only decision making factor...he was also smaller build and shorter signifigantly so (being a tall bigger framed person i felt uncomfortable) ...and a starchie conservative type who is very outspoken on things i dont seem to care about..( like politics, sports) almost obnoxiously opinionated and all things considered I knew he was no match..although he was a nice guy he was not for me...how much of my decision making was looks alone..one will never know..I do how ever still talk to him occassionally in chats...I just think its only one aspect of a person...Pictures can be ideal..but..for me..not a end all...I just might be more flexable or something but I dont rule some one in or out with a pic..I do love to see them..and see what i get from it..i look at eyes and smile..and surroundings...but..jmo...its not a deal breaker especially if we are just talking initial contact...now...if they have other behavor that makes the red flags wave...i will get that too...
 septembermoon47
Msg: 118
Posted: 10/3/2008 7:03:09 AM
i too go by what is said...if they chat like they have some since..its ok..i dont get caught up in the bull-ogna....lol..I cant stand when men want to know "all the STUFF your into." with in 2 minutes or sentences..I dont give a darn what he looks like then..hes on my Sh*t list then..and gets added to ignore...I feel the lucky guy wont need to ask..if he plays his cards right..he just might find out...
 septembermoon47
Msg: 121
Posted: 10/3/2008 2:43:35 PM
yep Deb..it is all about connecting if you ask me...
 brwneyes59
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2008 6:08:09 AM
I would ask them for a photo first...I have one out there, so do they. When I check out a profile that does not have a photo, I look to see how many have that person on their "Favorites List". Usually it is zero and that in my opinion is the reason why...
Why wouldn't you put up a photo? And if you do, make sure it is the best one that you have :)
Brwneyes
 septembermoon47
Msg: 125
Posted: 10/5/2008 6:45:09 AM
Yep BRWNeyes..I agree there..a photo does help..but strickly for me i give them a chance...i read it..and ( agree with you too Doc..) i try and chat a bit) And i do assess in my "own mind ( using my reality scale..lol) I assess why he has no pic..many i find are just average joes who might not yet have one they feel is A. recent (only pic is from graduation day and wedding day..so..wounder why they post graduation pic..) B. they are not real pc savy and might just be hunting and pecking his way on the key board..just now getting enough of a culture shock with an occassional email or message and may or may not have a way to get a pic on his pc..or know what to do with it once he did..I have walked my sister through how to attach a pic for years till she can now do it with out calling me..C or actually has a life and doesnt care about such stuff or what others think..I think there is some..statiticly at least one who is actually looking to see "if" some women will really like them...care for them for whats on the inside baring the outside( or the wallet size)...be it terrable or terrific...I think on a human level we all are striving for that..
So..I am not hard on any one..well at least not on purpose or with out pravication...I just figure..who the hell am I to judge..and then..after i give them a chance..then..I feel I can rationalise or decide from then out..I have learned for the school of hard knocks..not everything or every one is as it seems...everything has a story...and...sadly bad things happen to good people...

( oh..bet you thought I forgot Doc..lol...since you dont read long profiles how far did you get into mine..?)
 smartazzjohn
Msg: 126
Posted: 10/5/2008 7:20:41 AM
Heck no!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would never respond to someone who doesn't have a picture on their profile. Everyone knows that people w/o pictures are hiding something and are dishonest!!!!!!! People with pictures on their profiles have nothing to hide and wouldn't lie or mislead you in any way.

I had a picture on my profile and took it off. I had most of the info filled out and changed it to "prefer not to say". I was on the favorite lists of some women. When I revamped my profile I removed everyone, even the ones I still exchange email with. I'm still the same person I was before making the changes to my profile. If the only reason a person will talk to me is because of my picture they really aren't the type of person I want to talk to. I know that physical attraction is important, I would be a fool if I thought it didn't matter. That being said, there are people who hide ugly very well because of how they look while the beauty of others is never seen for the same reason.

I do expect someone to want to know what I look like before meeting me. I just don't want that to be the main reason to meet me. I could change my profile to reflect what is attractive to the masses. I would rather be a needle in the hay stack that someone is looking for and finds attractive. I know I have limited the people who will even talk to me but I'm hopeful to one day find the needle in the hay stack I'm looking for. Luckily for all of us this site gives us all options when it comes to our profiles so we can attract the type of people we are interested in. For some even lying is part of the way they try to attract others.
 septembermoon47
Msg: 127
Posted: 10/5/2008 7:42:40 AM
you said it UOJ...i think many more lie or lie by omission then care to admit to themselves....oh well..im too busy washing windows in my glass house...lol
 septembermoon47
Msg: 143
Posted: 10/8/2008 5:08:05 AM
yep...TN man...I had a great new friend ship with a all around great guy last year..fast friends ( nothing more had begun but sinced it could go in a different direction, in time) and he was a christain man..and I thought he just had to be a better christian then me..since he was involved and just seemed to have lots of zeal..and we talked on the phone and met a couple times..low and behold i saw a incoming call from him which i programed in with his name..only to have a women ask me why i was calling and recieveing calls from her husband..

I was flabbergasted and explained i didnt know he was..and it would certainly not happen again..and was quick to hang up...grrrrr sure did make me mad...more so i was mad at myself..I was snaked in by my preception of someone i thought i could trust and i was snookered...its all about the convincing nature of the other party. I thought i was cynical and not trusting..only to see i have to be more watchful and even those i think are fine upstanding persons..some may have skeletons too...
 septembermoon47
Msg: 146
Posted: 10/8/2008 3:27:46 PM
Your right LHL....but..i do try...( try i said) to judge a person on an individual basis..but..i have to say...i am leary...but...follow my gut instincts...red flags are red flags..some can be explained..some just create more questions...then is when you know something is up!

Face it..if i judged by the men in the past...Id have WAYYYYYYYYYYY more cats and never look at a relationship at all...with a man...( not even as friends) But..I have faith...I am hoping more good is out there then evil...Have to have faith!!!! With out HOPE we dont have much...
 septembermoon47
Msg: 152
Posted: 10/8/2008 6:35:22 PM
50nsingle ...Im with you...i do try and respond..if i do get some mail..if i send a message i appreciate a no thanks ...mainly get no answer...I have gotten a thicker skin as Eddy says..it would just be nice to show some maners and respect...but you can only do what you personaly can do...i hope i quit before i get so callus as to treat people poorly...jmo
 septembermoon47
Msg: 154
Posted: 10/8/2008 6:42:10 PM
crazy, joanne...you have to qualify everything...maybe an answer of my fingers were crossed will be the next excuse...holy cow...there are many times things can be answered with a yes or no...not kinda, sorta...any thing else is plainly lies...sigh...
Show ALL Forums  > Michigan  >