Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mystlw
Msg: 222
view profile
History
A hidden truth.. Depression...Page 15 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)

Red Flags Avoid these people with these patterns: Abusive parents, abusive ex-husbands, abusive ex-boyfriends, alcoholism, drugs, talks about ex on first, second dates, negativity, disrespectful, confuses you, arrogance/condescending, Cheated in past, self-centered, Breaks Dates, Makes excuses, lies, cusses a lot, No Class, Inflexible, Distrusting, Bitter, Nags, gossips. Women who say something, but their actions and body language reflect different signals. Women with low self-esteem, fixated on money, or have psychological problems, or psychiatric problems.

So, just one girl somewhere in rural Iowa, then?

It's interesting that you're discounting any woman with abusive parents, ex-husbands, or boyfriends, in that you're blaming someone for the abuse of others. How many people, especially children, do you know that invite people to scar them emotionally?
 mystlw
Msg: 226
view profile
History
A hidden truth.. Depression...
Posted: 9/22/2006 5:03:10 PM

Now, in-spite of all this, I still would not date a woman with psychological or psychiatric problems, which is what my original red flag statement was regarding.

Your original statement presupposes that someone with a history of abuse has psychological or psychiatric problems, which is not always the case.

I've found that people that have suffered or struggled oftentimes have a greater sense of compassion and empathy toward others who are suffering. That is in no way a bad thing.
 designingwoman
Msg: 227
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2006 9:43:47 PM
I agree that people who have suffered have greater empathy and understanding toward those who have struggled.

I am going through a hard time right now, facing career disappointment in the electrical industry, and am now looking for a full time job. People can get depressed when they are dealing with life circumstances as well as from biochemical processes that go awry in the brain.

DW
 ace76
Msg: 234
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2006 7:13:27 PM
No, because as long as they're taking it, they should be fine.

We all have our own issues, and i'm not going to "cast the first stone," so to speak.
 sam5286
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2009 10:06:40 AM
id b curious what u say to me...im a mental health advocate (hav been 4 7 yrs)-my job is to make sure people wth mh probs know what their rigts are and i help achieve positive outcomes in homelessness, child protection etc . i had a breadown 19 yrs ago and have basically put my own mh on a shelf so to speak-busying myself helping others overcoming stigma has kept it at bay largely but i do get low when its quiet m kids have gone to their dads, im tired from a hectic career and i wonder why am i on my own- i then think ohh mayb ur depressed again-but my way of dealing with it is mind of matter if i dont think i am ill be fine- .for a porfessional to acknowledge they hav probs is prob even more of a stigma so im not 'out'.. but is that doin me more harm than good- i know the drugs i had nrly 2v yrs psyctherapy yrs ago so been there and not sure i need to go there again. occ when really stressed with life ill go on citalopram but it doesnt help-wonder if it doesnt cos i dont ned it...v confused!!!
 Vannili
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2009 10:54:25 AM
I 've talk to a few guy who suffer from depression ,their emotion are high and low , andthey pushed the of botton of your sympathy and when you are* in* with them everything you said is against them, and Iwas always trying to be understood that drags me to despair.1 to 3 dates is my limit to them To begin with,I am a happy person ,I will not take that kind of crumb in relationship just to be with someone .. Yes I will run as fast as I can out of their reach.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >