Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you be suspicious if someone only gave you their cellphone numb      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 6
Would you be suspicious if someone only gave you their cellphone number n not their home number??Page 8 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Reason being, you can do a reverse look up in the phone books here and find out my address from my home number.
That can be done with cell phones too (billing address and the landline number one gave when registering the cell phone). Whether or not that's legal is another question. ...And yes, earlier this year, I did use one of those services to pull someone's cell phone billing address (but don't worry; I'm former LE and in this case, I was working with the police in criminally investigating them, and the PD got a copy of the report from me 3 days after I received it).

"In-network" free unlimited calling if both people have the same cellular/PCS carrier is a good reason why cell-to-cell calls may be preferred. When I'm not at home, I forward my LL to my cell, and even have two of my speed-dials on the LL phone set up for placing and cancelling the forward.

Let me ask one question: Have you been to his/her home and/or has he/she been to yours? If the answer is yes, then maybe it is time to exchange LL numbers (as emergency backup numbers). However, short of an at-home visit, I don't see a relationship as having progressed far enough (hotel room notwithstanding) to warrant a LL number exchange. Some people may not be that comfortable. Also true that perhaps someone is hiding something. However, for the latter, there needs to be another indicator to rightfully conclude such.

As for claiming not to have a LL phone, yet discovering that he/she does, is a different issue than the titled question.
 ChicagoStyle
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Would you be suspicious if someone only gave you their cellphone number n not their home number??
Posted: 6/24/2006 10:22:03 AM
I only give out my cell number because I only use my cell. I have a home phone, but I only have it for the alarm, fax machine, DSL, and incase of an emergency.

I tell people that I have a homephone, but I never answer it. But I can see how it may look alittle suspicious. If we are dating long enough to the point where she is invited over my house to hangout, I will show her the phone and fax setup to help put her mind at ease alittle. And if she wanted the number still, I would give it to her. But I still wouldn't anser it as I never do. I simply don't use it at all.

Some people have something to hide, while some donot and simply rely on their cellphones. It looks suspicious I agree but that's the way it as for a lot of people. Most of my friends, I never call their homephones because they never answer it or don't use it.
 footballatrider
Msg: 10
Would you be suspicious if someone only gave you their cellphone number n not their home number??
Posted: 10/9/2007 1:24:39 AM
The only reason I have a home phone is to link up with my security system company. I
only answer my cell or office lines. Everybody knows those numbers
 EC22
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/9/2007 1:16:53 PM
I responded to another thread about cell phones. What I stated in that thread also applies here.

Absolutely not. It is easier to reach me on my cell phone because I'm not home that often. Some people might not have home phones. The only reason I have a home phone because it is necessary for my home alarm system.
 R_U_Perfect
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/9/2007 1:31:23 PM
Lets see, you pay for a Home where you sleep, a Car,The Beauty Salon,and all the latest fashons...

You are looking to me to give you a Nordstem's Card and take you around the world twice yearly, I DON'T THINK SO!!!

My Cell phone cost me $50.00 every 3 months weather I use it or not...

My Hard line cost me $350.00 permonth and it takes 250 calls a day,when I go home...

I choose not to have a phone, So honny, if you don't like having my cell phone number,you really don't need to know me...
 orchidtigress
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/20/2007 1:02:05 AM
Yep- means they are married or in a relationship!
 Adam 4 Coffee
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/4/2007 4:22:43 AM
Some people don;t ahve land lines. Like my friend Nolan but he moves a lot. And its actually more affordable and he does not get telemarketers. I personally don't own a cell phone becuase i think they are rude and annoying. People always texting eachother and spendign too much time on the phone. Nothing more rude than a date who won;t get off her cell ophone witht he texting and calling. My friends ahve so much dramam becuase their giflfriends won;t stop texting them and their relationships end. and when we go out they can;t ebnjoy theirselves ebcuase they are always sendign and recieving messages. I like to be tempoarily unavailable when I leave the house. So its not supciaious to onyl give out one type of number. maybe they live with their parents. My parents tend to screen my phone calls. And they critizize thsoe who call to much. Nothing more annoying thena girl who calls every 15 minutes and at all hours of the night. I suggest that you not make a big deal out of it. I mean would you give someone your work phone? or a house phone where you would not have privacy?
 isTHISuserNametaken
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/6/2007 12:14:34 PM
In this case, Yes! something definitely stinks! I'd either have dumped him, or confronted him with your suspicions,
People with nothing to hide, hide nothing.
 nocalsingledad
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2007 4:40:13 PM
I only give out my cell phone number because it is the best way to reach me. My home number is one of those old phones wired to the wall and I hate to stand in the kitchen talking. I would rather talk on my cell. And no, I am not going to buy a cordless phone just to satisfy someone else's need to call me on my home number. I will give them the number but I will likely answer it and ask them to call my cell phone.
 fancynanci
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2007 1:43:19 PM
I only answer my cell phone. I let my voice-mail pick up all my landline calls. I am not a suspicious person by nature. I like trusting someone.
 jf468
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/7/2007 2:58:20 PM
No. Some people don't have a home phone. Some people aren't home that often. Therefore it is easier to reach them by cell phone.
 katymomof4
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2007 12:56:27 PM
I have experienced it, it does not feel good. It is a real sign that something is going on, there is obviously someone at home, yet they say they are single!! Yeah right! .
 KUEngineer4U
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/2/2008 4:46:33 PM
It is easier to track your home phone to an address than your cell phone. You can do a reverse telephone look up on the Internet and immediately get listed addresses, which is dangerous. Unlisted can be found for a fee. Cell phones almost always come up with only a provider, not an address.

Plus, cell phones have caller ID vs. home phones which may or may not. Which can be dangerous for the caller who is calling a cell phone as it will reveal your name.

Best to always block your User ID from both your home land line and your cell..

Both of these can be good and bad, depending who is calling or being called.

jf468
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/20/2008 11:16:38 AM
Absolutely not. Some people ONLY have cell phones. Some people aren't home that often so it is easier to reach them by cell pohne.
 davpet
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2008 6:19:06 AM
ok ladies....and fellas...i am a technician for the phone co and i have NOT had a home phone for the whole 12 yrs i have been there....so just because they only give you a cell # doesnt mean they are married or hiding anything...sheesh....try being friendly instead of finding something to complain about....i have found that if a person gives you their cell #...thats a big step...because usually that cell goes every where with them....think about that before jumping to conclusions....and that phone that was being answered in the background could have been a business line...think about that instead of being paranoid....i find that being upfront works.....

Dave
 Captain Incognito
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2008 9:35:25 AM
Getting my own place in a short time here and I'm thinking I won't even be getting a land line. Just a cell phone. Basic cable and internet.

So all I would have to give out is my cell number.
 WesternRose
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/8/2008 8:56:33 PM
I have young children and the landline is the Family Phone. It basically exists for the children to use when they are home. I am considering removing it as we rarely use the phone.

My mobile is my private phone. Most calls for me or the children come thru this phone and it is the first response emergency number to contact me.

I don't find it unusual for someone to give out only their mobile.
 PhotoWorld
Msg: 26
Posted: 2/9/2008 9:40:02 AM
I would agree with the above.
Somepeople only have cell phones.
maybe...after a few dates..ask for his home number.
If he refuses then...you can decide.
 chewsanother
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/15/2009 7:20:41 AM
I got tired of paying Verizon to take care of their funky tele lines so I got the internet over the Suddenlink cable, canceled both Verizon and Net zero and use my cell as a home phone instead of "Just for emergencies"..Give a guy a break will ya..
Chews
 astrosky
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2012 9:26:42 AM
I'm one of the "nobodies" who does have a land line (requirement of my job), as well as a prepaid cell (which I rarely use), and I give out my cell # to potential dates. I consider my land line a business phone, and only my closest friends and relatives have that number. If I became close to someone, I would give them my land line number. Otherwise I don't see the necessity of giving them both.
 Maleman999
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/19/2012 12:34:37 PM

I'm one of the "nobodies" who does have a land line (requirement of my job), as well as a prepaid cell (which I rarely use), and I give out my cell # to potential dates. I consider my land line a business phone, and only my closest friends and relatives have that number. If I became close to someone, I would give them my land line number. Otherwise I don't see the necessity of giving them both.

Make that two nobodies. That describes my situation. Only difference is needing a land-line phone as a requirement for a job, which seems pretty weird in this day and age.
 Debisusanne
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/19/2012 5:48:53 PM
You can tell if its mobile by doing a reverse phone lookup.

Back in the day.. lol.. I used to do background checks on men by using their phone number..

but now adays.. every one has a cell.. and its not traceable to an address
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you be suspicious if someone only gave you their cellphone number n not their home number??