Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mcbobly
Msg: 4
view profile
History
prepaid cell phone programsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I use a TracFone and I like it. I get great reception, no dropped calls and the charges are ok. I know others offer differend programs, but for my requirements this serves me just fine. I highly reccomend it.
 RSwindol
Msg: 8
view profile
History
prepaid cell phone programs
Posted: 6/25/2006 2:49:09 PM

Not to mention that I don't know of any cell phone programs that would actually cost as little as $40/month

I have Sprint, and even though I have upgraded my service plan since I got rid of my home phone, I used to pay about $34 a month for a basic plan. This was an in-state plan as opposed to nationwide, and it only alloted me about 250 to 300 minutes a month for calls.

From what I am hearing from you, this is all you really need. The bad thing about prepaid phones are that most of them deduct a buttload of minutes for going outside your local calling area. This is very easy to do. Like you said, you would like to have a phone in case you get lost. Well you then have to ask yourself, "Where will I be when I get lost?". The answer is "Probably not in my local area." What I am trying to say is that these "emergency" situations are usually the times that your calls are going to cost so much. That's exactly why I have switched to a nationwide plan.
 mcbobly
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2006 8:00:34 PM

Why not just pay 40 dollar a month and get a real phone? The only reason I can imagine for getting a prepaid account is if your credit is an absolute nightmare...

Maybe also some people don't want to be hooked into a lengthy contract in the event they are not happy with the service later down the road.
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/22/2007 3:52:26 PM
Herding, I love your suggestion. I hardly every use a cell, but need one for when I'm on the road for work. I'll definitely be checking this out!
 cliffjr64
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/26/2008 12:34:23 PM
i have a go phone from cingular or i guess its att now. if you dont use it it cost nothing that day. if you do use it its a dollar a day and 10 cents a min. if you call any number thats not a cingular att number. i put 25 dollars on my phome and its good for 90 days. 100 dollars is good for a year. most everyone i know uses att so its free to call them anytime and talk as long as i want just the dollar for using it that day.
 Hozo
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2008 12:59:23 PM
I also use a TracPhone. $15 to buy the phone, airtime cards ranging from $20 upwards and they have a 90 day value I believe.. The more minutes you buy, the less cost per minute.When I bought mine they had a deal where you got 240 minutes and 1 year activation for $99. No monthly bills, no contracts, no hidden fees.

Even if I used all my minutes in that 1 year(I didnt) the phone is still active for 1 year. That means when you add more minutes, it also adds an extra 90 days to that 1 year timeframe for each airtime card bought.

So for me, it costs a max of about $100/year to have a working cel phone strapped to me at all times.

The key is whether you are going to be a cel phone addict, or just use it when needed.
 kemetian09
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/5/2008 8:33:59 PM
[Does anyone who uses a TracFone or GoPhone or another prepaid cellular phone program have any recommendations or concerns to be wary about in choosing a phone and a program? Appreciate any help!

~ Panda /quote]

I have been using TracFone for several years. I am very pleased with it. It meets my needs. I am not one who spends a lot of time on a cell phone, so Tracfone is just right for me. I had a contract with Verizon for over 2 years. I was using less than 100 minutes per month, so my money was going to waste.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2008 11:15:18 PM
About a year or so ago, TracFone was running a special- free Motorola C139 phone and a 60 minute card- doubled- for $20.
So, 120 minutes and a free phone. I got 3 of them. Plus 20 bonus minutes when I activate each phone, so another 60 minutes. That's 420 minutes for $60 = 7 cents a minute. Each 60 minute card has 90 days of minutes, and minutes roll over as long as I add additional minutes before the end of service date. And, I ended up with 2 extra phones.

I gave a phone to my son and the other one to my ex.

A few weeks ago, I signed up for the "value plan" that extends the service date if I still have minutes- about $5 for an additional 30 days, only charged if I have remaining minutes and haven't added any (that happens to me a lot, I run out of service time before I come close to running out of minutes).

The C139 is a good basic phone for carrying around for emergencies. It isn't much good for anything but making phone calls, but we're talking basic phone service, right? If you have to have a phone glued to your ear by all means get one of those wonder phones that does everything and comes with a nice calling plan. I like to be "off the network and under the radar" as much as possible, TracFone offers basic phone connectivity and what amounts to disposable phones, so it works for me.

Latest good deal from TracFone is a Motorola W270 phone with a "double minutes for life" card for $30. By itself the card sells for $49. It's a good deal if you intend to keep the phone long-term.

Prepaid works for me. It isn't for everybody, but I use less than $10 worth of minutes a month, so I don't need a "calling plan," just a good cheap phone.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 8:45:38 AM
When I moved to my present address, I asked about getting phone service. The local phone company wanted a $250 deposit for LOCAL SERVICE ONLY, no long distance.
Forget that noise, I got a cheap prepaid cell phone.
Service was lousy, and I was charged "roaming" for calls made from my home... I don't recall the name of the company, but it was forgettable.
I found an "internet phone company" (VOIP) that was affordable, at half the price of Comcast (Lingo). No problems at all, but when the power or the cable service goes out I lose my "landline."
Enter Tracfone.
I got a great deal on minutes and a free phone. I bought 3 of them, $60 for the lot.
I only use the cell phone(s) when I can't use my landline.
I don't drive around with my cell glued to my ear, so my cell expense is negligible; I signed up for the automatic service date extension, which charges me $5 a month when I still have minutes but my service date is up.
Probably not the best landline service, probably not the best deal on "minutes," probably not the best cell phone, but the combination is ideal for me.
 arwen52
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 5:38:23 PM
Have you tried checking Consumer Reports? Go to the library and ask the librarian how you can look it up. They will help you out.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >