Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > WOMEN....Are you afraid to settle down with a Military Man?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 251
view profile
History
WOMEN....Are you afraid to settle down with a Military Man?Page 11 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I'm a military brat myself. Most of my brothers and sisters were in the military or married military spouses. It's just how I grew up tho never joined the service. Oddly enuf, I have a hard time relating to anything BUT military significant others. One guy told me he likes to play RPG games and I had to stop and realize he wasn't talking about rocket propelled grenades.
 redsox322
Msg: 252
view profile
History
WOMEN....Are you afraid to settle down with a Military Man?
Posted: 1/28/2012 2:47:44 PM
I love military men. I actually prefer them because most keep themselves in good shape and got to love a man in uniform plus I find facial hair gross and unkempt so most military are clean shaven. I prob wouldnt dat someone not military. id get bored
 valenciacityx
Msg: 253
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:05:08 PM
"Personally, I know we'd never be compatible. Our mindsets would be completely opposite.

I am a woman who believes that it costs a lot less to educate a person for free and give him/her a life than it does to send him/her to war, to die.
I am completely against war and the time, intelligence and billions of $$ spent on defense (or rather offense) , and think that all those resources need to be used towards health care and education instead."

oh dear, you are living in a cave
You do realize that the new healthcare bill just CREATED another Uniformed Military Health Service ? Maybe you should go read that bill (I won't say again, because it is obvious you didnt read it at all for a first time)
 ipiano
Msg: 254
Posted: 1/28/2012 9:16:15 PM
My ex husband was military when we met and married. I packed him up and sent him to Iraq for a year. I was faithful but he found a nice little medic to keep him "entertained" while he was over there.

After that, he never really could keep it in his pants and stay faithful, so I had to cut him loose.

I would have to think long and hard before getting into another relationship with a military man, just because of what I already know.
 spitfire47
Msg: 255
Posted: 5/1/2012 2:17:48 PM
I would love to date a military man!
 chelseajkt1
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2012 5:34:25 PM
Years ago I dated a guy in the navy. I really enjoyed dating the military guy. The only problem that I had was he was fast on his way to becoming an alcoholic and I wasn't about to be living that life. He moved back to Michigan and within a couple of months he had impregnated someone and they are still married and have 3 children today and as far as I know are happy.

I also work with a true military guy who was in for 25 years and the military way of life was his life. His wife left him after 17 years. She couldn't take being married to a soldier anymore. He is an unbelivable guy. I have such respect for what he does. He works part time where I do, is retired from the military and is comander of a VFW post and is so active and does so many good things with it. It's his life. He is really into the military way of life.
 MintyLips80
Msg: 257
Posted: 5/3/2012 10:00:10 PM
i would date a military man. our protectors :]
 Aura1shine
Msg: 258
Posted: 5/3/2012 11:51:00 PM
When I was young, I try my hardest to avoid any romantic connection with military man since I grew up in the family whom serving in the military. My reasons were: 1. I don't want to be a young widow( lost a cousin during a Vietnam War), 2. Don't want to be a wife of disable veteran (if he made it), 3. Hate of anticipation with bad news while he is on duty to somewhere else ( meeting a new girl, in combat,......). But I love the structure life of military way.
Then again, if I in love with one of them, I probable will endure anything that come with him being in Military even my own insecurity.
 lookinforlove_2012
Msg: 259
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2012 11:55:45 PM
Maybe some women just hear stories about men in the military.. I know I have. Also maybe some women are intimidated by a military man.
 lancermike
Msg: 260
Posted: 5/4/2012 9:20:25 AM
It's been an issue at hand for myself as well, sadly since I'm EX-military (now law enforcement).

Unfortunately preconcieved notions, overexaggerated stereotypes, and anecdotal assertions all seemingly trump what's truly underneath the uniform.
 Capn_America
Msg: 261
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:02:25 AM
Also maybe some women are intimidated by a military man.

Hell, I'd be afraid. What if he takewon do's my azz? Or pulls his gun out and shoots me because I forgot to buy peanut butter? :devil:
Seriously, the issues with some people....far as I know people in the military are human beings; perfectly dateable and perfectly okay to settle with. Now if they'd be giraffes, then I guess it COULD be a problem. But seeing as their basically the same size, have the same apendages and PRETTY much are the same as another human being, I'm guessing there IS potential somewhere....
 Meems919
Msg: 262
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:15:43 AM
I have loved a couple of military men. As with everything, it depends on who the person is, but for myself, time to myself has always been important. Raised kids with a lot of single parent time, it was not a deal breaker, but for some it would be. As in any generalization, there are all kinds being lumped into "military men".....some are scummy with or without the uniform...a uniform is not a sign of a good person, any more than white teeth, a car or a smooth approach....have to know the person.
 redsox322
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:16:30 AM
I prefer to date military men because all my exes have been so. Im used to the lifetyle with my dad having been in for awhile. I love men that can make me safe plus the clean shaven thing is a huge factor ;). A man in uniform is sexy as hell. For some reason when i have dated men in normal jobs I get bored and have found myself having to fake in certain aspects so
 PinkNeonSocks78
Msg: 264
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:28:05 AM
I've dated a military man. It was long distance of course but it wasn't me who couldn't handle the distance it was him. I can handle the distance it just seems like he couldn't. He got too impatient.

I don't shy away from Military men at all. If he's a good guy then it's worth the long distance. At least that's what I think.
 redsox322
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:31:27 AM
My only issue with them is most are like kids 21, 22 years old so it sucks. When I was living in nc most seemed to be shallow and just looking for a piece of ass so it was like really? Than they complain about not finding a good woman or their definition of a good woman is a size 2 with fake tits or whatnot. It would be nice for me to find one thats around 28 with no kids or crazy exwives but Im starting to think thats not realistic lol
 leagueofextraordinarymen
Msg: 266
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:32:09 AM
Ex Canadian Military...30yrs service...retired at the age of 47....my ex wife of 11 years was military and that was an issue as we were both deployed at the same time or deployed one right after the other....now that's no life especially with children. I was married to the military 10yrs before I met her and then she joined .....and it fell apart 11yrs later as I was deployed 6 times 2 in Bosnia and 4 in Afghanistan. Out deployments are only 6 months long as compared to our US counterparts that can be as long as 1.5 yrs, now I can see that being a issue for many women. With all the conflicts around the world if I was a woman I would not marry into the military....
 Fleuron
Msg: 267
Posted: 5/4/2012 10:54:30 AM

Nope. I was married to the navy for many years.

Not much intimidates me.
 organicquestionmark
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 11:25:40 AM
I was active duty for over twelve years. I miss the positives......that's for sure! You CAN'T be a dumbass for too long without paying the price. So, basically, most serving are FINE people (so are the families.....it's a "family" deal). You may meet some in the armed forces that are twits but they don't last long........

It makes me CRAZY mad to hear people knock the people in the military.

It's NOT a lifestyle for everyone........in no way, shape, or form. But to those that have anything negative to say? Are you aware of the fact that you can actually SAY those negative things BECAUSE of the people/lifestyle that you are knocking?

And to those family members that serve along side the military person? THANK YOU! It's NOT easy.....not at all. But you've a perspective on life that many don't and I hope you know how valuable that is.

Meems, msg. 283: I agree. I'm not trying to give a "free pass" here to any dumbass wearing a uniform. You said it right.

I'd love to meet a military man.............(as long as he'd only want to go for coffee......or the dog park!) :) :)
 surfaceofficer
Msg: 269
Posted: 5/4/2012 11:25:56 AM
Dating was significantly harder while I was active duty...and I'm a damn Naval officer (reserve).

I hear that being in the military USE to be a walk-in-closet to romance. I have no clue what changed....to many peace time decades since the Roosevelt years I guess.
 organicquestionmark
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 11:49:36 AM
^^^^Well, Surface, in your case, I'm guessing it may be a few other things that Roosevelt had nothing to do with?!

Just because you're "a damn Naval officer (reserve)"........doesn't mean shit.

You're kind of proving my point (sadly). I'm a bit stunned you wrote your post like that........do you think you're "entitled"? By simply signing up? There is a BIG differance between those that "serve" and those that "sign up" to serve.

Hoping you didn't mean your post the way it sounded..............
 surfaceofficer
Msg: 271
Posted: 5/4/2012 11:57:32 AM
No I did not (the damn Naval officer quote was more of a satiristic throw back to Tom Cruise and Richard Gere).

But I hope you didn't mean your post the way it sounded. No one mentioned entitlement...just perception. As we all know, perception is a matter of viewpoint.

Military members aren't (technically) entitled to Jack that their contracts dont denote.

Since I suspect that you know that I am smart enough to NOT suggest otherwise, I'll just chock this one up to a mistake on both of our parts. My post was based on EXPERIENCE, not IDEOLOGY. I fancy myself a logical man. So ideology doesn't always make sense to me, but it does on occasion. This topic is not one such occasion.

*By the way...I haven't an ounce of nationalism that isn't justified. My reference to FDR was meant to establish a time frame...not to establish a parellel between the problems this country faces in comparison to those time in reference to my own personal conundrums (as you linked the two).

At the end of the day...I'm just another man with problems and an arsehole like all the rest. I would prefer not to be punished for it.
 redsox322
Msg: 272
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 12:08:09 PM
Men are the way they are no matter what job they have. Just seems most military men as much as I love them seem to have a sense of entitlement like marines for example assume they are entitiled to the best fo everything including women. reality check please
 surfaceofficer
Msg: 273
Posted: 5/4/2012 12:15:07 PM
Men are the way they are no matter what job they have. Just seems most military men as much as I love them seem to have a sense of entitlement like marines for example assume they are entitiled to the best fo everything including women. reality check please

This is true. It is a manufacturing defect with Marines (as I like to call it).

Having gone hard through the "initiation" in 2003, I could detail why that is, but I'm sure I'd get smacked by a number of "gulf war" vets in which conditions were tougher by far. I have to doubt that there are any WW2 vets on the POF forums...otherwise I'd have to brace myself for a mushroom stamp.
 organicquestionmark
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 12:16:07 PM
^^^Ummmmm...okay.^^^^^^

Your "damn Naval officer quote" didn't sound very satirical. If it had......if that had been my PERCEPTION........I wouldn't have responded in the manner in which I did!! :)

You ARE another man with problems and an areshole like all the rest. So too am I.....only I'm female! :) And by no means was I wanting to "punish" you.

You just struck a nerve....I "struck" back......and now? We're best friends!!

What do you want for Christmas?

EDIT!! This was in response to msg. 292. Didn't realize there was a gnat in the room............

EDIT::::::::::::::::: Surface and Domo?! You seem like such a lovely couple.......REALLY! You two need to remove any "blocks" to allow each other to PM. If you give me an address? I'll send flowers!!
 redsox322
Msg: 275
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 12:22:02 PM
The ridiculousness I saw living by camp lejeune for years was I can hardly explain unless you have lived near amarine base. Im like on what planet do you all expect megan fox or some bikini model? Idk my ex is a marine but he was the biggest piece of shit ever so
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > WOMEN....Are you afraid to settle down with a Military Man?