Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arri
Msg: 2
It's the Picture... stupid !Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Secrets of success in the cyber world

For women ... you just have to be female and breathing.

For men .. through as much shit as you can against the was wall and see what sticks
 arri
Msg: 10
It's the Picture... stupid !
Posted: 6/24/2006 6:50:26 AM
Click on the link that shows 500 hottest people on this site... what do you see other than hot pictures :) It does not mean they will be most successful in the long run... but it will get them the most attention for sure. They will get to call the shots

All that means is that the people that like to play "rate my picture" think they are hot.

This place is just a place to waste a few hours when you have nothing better to do. There are the forums, "The rate my picture", some social networking features. It could be fun if you give it a try. I have been to a couple of POF gatherings and met people, had fun, even got to dance.

Maybe even a few people meet this way and live happily ever after, but those people that take it too seriously, just take all the fun away.

I have posted with a pic on paid sites before and got "DO YOU HAVE ONE IN A BATHING SUIT"? DO YOU HAVE ONE IN PANTIES? I was stalked on one site because of a pic..so needless to say..I WILL NOT BE A JERK-OFF PIC FOR SOME DUDE ALONE IN HIS BEDROOM.

Trust me when I tell you that there are millions of pictures and videos of gorgeous young women online to serve as JERK-OFF PICS instead of your.

Relax and have fun. An email doesn't have to be a marriage proposal.
 Funme40
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/24/2006 6:58:39 AM
It's not only in the cyber world, but online dating in general. It's all about look and not much else.
 Kn1ghtsky
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/24/2006 7:19:05 AM
I just look at the one's without the pictures. Imagination is more exciting.

Besides, beauty is only pixel deep.
 Trishnaa
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/24/2006 8:47:23 AM
"A good photographer can make anybody look like a model. It is more about photographer's skill than what you look like. Guess what I will be doing next time I go downtown."

I do not agree. Although, I am not a photogenic person, my pictures are pretty decent. I took one of them(the main pic) myself(yes, manually) without using the timer on the camera.So you don't really need a good photographer.But hey if you want to call me a good photographer(even though I suck most of the time),feel free to do so!Lol.Oh and the others were taken by my friends who are not photographers at all.Lol.

But anyway, when I used to browse profiles, sure the picture used to catch my eyes.I won't lie about that.But if there was nothing in the profile or if the profile was poorly written, then I just moved to the next.Oh and yes, I did initiate contact.Not sure why some men think, only men send first emails.But not anymore...since I'm not looking anymore.

~*Flavia*~
 arri
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/24/2006 9:52:36 AM
In simple English, pictures are very important ... because, if you can't imagine yourself naked with this guy/girl ... then what's the point of going on a date?

That's like going on a job interview for a job you don't even want.
 *buzz*
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2006 10:32:31 AM

if you can't imagine yourself naked with this guy/girl ... then what's the point of going on a date?

Ahhh ... mind that is a good step ahead could prove very valuable one
 Say Hi to David
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/24/2006 11:23:24 AM
Pix matter, profiles matter...sometimes. Considering the sheer number of scammers and the number of people making preemtpive moves to counter the scammers with fake pix and profiles, it's a surprise anyone meets at all.

But even a decent profile with good pix gets overlooked on the male side - the women on the other hand can write "will get to this later" and include a pic of a turtle and have 250 favorites within a month.
 c_deacon
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2006 12:08:23 PM
I think "looks" will always get the initial attention but "substance" will keep it and help it grow.....

People on POF can put up to eight pictures and should in my opinion. Some professional ones are fine, black and white also, and some candid ones showing you in the actions of every day living.

Those posting should put face shots that are clear and also full body shots showing what you look like head to toe. Toooooooo many on here put "average" when they are more than a few pounds over weight. Being a "soft" body no matter your body type is very misleading also, and should be shown in pictures.

Maybe we need to all go by the body fat method and let each other really know what we look like if not going to share properly.....smiles That means to me that if your body fat is 10% or less, you are athletic, 11% to 20%, average, and 21% to 25%, a few pounds extra, and above 25%, over weight.......and is this not what they say most americans are at these days with a majority being over weight?????

Just my opinon....
 BrownEyedLeo
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2006 12:39:32 PM
No I don't agree. A person's personality changes the way they look to me.
I do not want to look like a model or talk to anyone that wants to give me the impression they have the "perfect" look.
 dogar2007
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2006 5:31:59 PM
I have never yet e-mailed someone just because she has a hot picture. (There are other venues if that is really what you are after.)

Now, don't get me wrong - a nice photo certainly catches my eye, but it just gets me to read the profile.

If she smokes heavy, sees genital piercing as a form of recreation, and has 10 kids, I'm not messaging her if she's the most gorgeous gal on earth!

If gals are afraid their photos are **too** good, attracting too many hounds, they should just use theri driver license photos.
 prolibertate
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/24/2006 6:44:01 PM
I wouldn't say one needs a 'hot' picture...one that actually looks like them would be good enough. Glamour shots can be made to look great for everyone, but that's not how anyone looks in the real world...and when you're meeting someone, it's in the real world.
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 51
Posted: 6/24/2006 7:15:53 PM
If I get bored and do a search, yes it is the picture that gets my attention, but it is what is written on the profile that will make me want to email the person. I don't care how good they look, if there is something in the profile that makes me feel me and that person wouldn't click I see no point in writing to them.
 prolibertate
Msg: 52
Posted: 6/24/2006 7:20:23 PM
Sexy, my point was that when you actually meet them, it's in the real world, not a picture...and if your picture misrepresented you, then it's not going to be a very pleasant meeting.

I prefer men who are always themself and who are nice. Respect, consideration, saying what they mean and meaning what they say are all godo traits. And of the few men I've decided to meet through online channels, none of them would be considered 'model material' but their looks appealed to *me* and their personalities also did. I've had the model looking guys; and I've found that their looks don't make up for their lack of personality and intelligence. Give me a nice, normal, intelligent guy any day.

I find it's pretty easy to tell when someone isn't being themself, at least it's easy for me to tell. Red flags are pretty easy to spot even when emailing, and especially after talking on the phone or meeting them.
 Polly_G
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/24/2006 8:16:46 PM
op: I'm into photography and digital art as a hobby. It is TOO easy to manipulate photographs and make someone gorgeaus. I tend to leave my own pics alone (unless there is like a stain on my shirt) but I will fix things for friends.

Mostly just minor cosmetic stuff like the picture would be perfect if they weren't laughing in a way that gave them a double chin....*poof* I can take it away. One of the ones I do as standard though is shine reduction. When you are partying, dancing, and drinking, the pics aren't always the most flattering. You don't look quite as fresh as when you left the house. I'll put the freshness back into their appearance.
 prolibertate
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/24/2006 8:42:08 PM

This site is full of such guys. Why do I only get to meet such women in forum... not in real life :)

Perhaps it's because you live too far away from all of the other wonderful women on here ;)

A picture is great, except it only shows the outside. The inside is told by the profile text and further possible meetings, e-mails, chats. Of course it is amazing how people just rush through the pictures and forget to look through the profiles. If you are really seriously looking, you'll even look at the pictures that may be slightly off the beaten path. Because you never know what gem you might have missed, if you actually read their profile.

Very wise words...they bear repeating…It's amazing how people will contact one and not realize that it's very easy for people to tell they’ve never looked at your profile. Makes one think they must search through profiles and shoot off the standard email to anyone whose picture they like.

The woman looking for that type of man, may be more likely to respond to something thoughtfully written, rather than a nice pic on a profile that says "I breathe, if you breathe call me"

Yes, totally correct. When I see a profile that has little in it that tells about the person it doesn't give one much to initiate a contact with. Also, profiles that don't appear very well-thought out, have numerous typos, and grammatical errors make me think the person isn't that serious about actually finding anyone on here. And contacts from someone who says 'Hi, u want 2 talk" barely deserve any type of reply, IMO. Again, those come off as general contacts sent to anyone whose picture they like. It's another from of the ritual you see when you're in a club - a guy asks a girl to dance; she says no, so then he goes down the line of her friends until one says yes...just shows that he doesn't really care who bites, as long as someone does. Not very complimentary to most women, nor is it going to get any good results.
 Fry Lock
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2006 10:52:59 AM
OK, Einstein, you would have us believe that:

A. We (as a group, whole, whatever) are stupid because we have pictures on our profiles that are not very flattering, so we'll get no responses from members of the opposite sex?

B. You are only here for the forums, so you are "above" needing a flattering pic on your profile, even though your profile states something to the contrary?

C. You have TWO profiles, which, if I read the rules correctly, can get you deleted and/or banned, and you advertise this fact in your post here?

D. We (as a group, whole, whatever are the STUPID ones here?)

You are SO living up to that engineer stereotype we always joked about in college...
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >