Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Scheherrazade
Msg: 9
Jury dutyPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I've been called a couple of times but have only sat on a jury once. I had a blast. It was a college kid with a Public Intoxication charge against him that he chose to defend himself instead of hiring a lawyer. He choked big time. Had trouble asking questions of the witnesses and got totally lost in his closing arguments.

When it was over, they sent us into a side room to discuss it and come up with a verdict. I live in a small town so I knew four of the other people on the jury and the guy elected as foreman. For about the first twenty minutes we discussed the facts and I pointed out all the reasons he was innocent. Then when everyone was looking convinced, I switched gears and started bringing up all the legalities that made him guilty. The foreman figured out what I was doing and made me go sit in the corner and shut up. When it finally came time to vote everyone kept peaking over at me, so I pointed out the obvious and everyone wrote down the right answer and we were out of there by mid afternoon.

I had fun, but I do not think I could handle doing a really serious case.
 DeeLiteFul
Msg: 10
Jury duty
Posted: 6/30/2006 11:19:40 PM
When I lived in NYC They called me in I was kind of excited lol I brought my son who was like 1 years old (I believe) and gave them the card and said do u have a babysitter for him I said Yeah I do I just wanted to save money so I brought him with me not thinking it would start TODAY I thought they would just say come back tomorrow or something well they said we would call u next year that was the last I heard from them lol..

My mother and dad got called for jury Duty every year lol
 nipoleon
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Jury duty
Posted: 7/4/2006 1:21:12 PM
I think it would be good to have professional jurists who do it for a living.
They should have to prove they have impeccable character, probably at least some college education and they should be paid well.
I really don't like the idea of people being picked from the general population to decide legal cases, especially capital crimes.
Most people don't want to be there, and the idea of them being your peers is ridiculous. This isn't the 18th century anymore and people don't know everyone in town anymore.
I think examples of celebrity trials the last few years would tend to support such an idea.
 Smjle
Msg: 26
Jury duty and how to get out of jury duty--Guaranteed.
Posted: 9/25/2006 7:46:57 AM
I was summoned by the Federal Court for jury duty. There were about 80 of us and initially I was one of the first 12. It was a civil case based on a Federal law. Has it been a state law, I would have had no problem; however, I knew the constitution did not give the Federal Government jurisdiction and it violated Amendment X that states: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Near the end of jury selection the judge asked if anyone had a problem with accepting the law as he stated it. I held up my hand and said, "I may have a problem." Immediately the judge replied, "You're excused." He didn't even give me time to explain.

Everyone excused was told to report on Monday two weeks later. Also, we were told to call the night before and to listen to a recorded message listing the people to report. Of the 60 plus people remaining, I may have been the only one not on the list. Apparently the judges don't want jurors that can think.
 justme1202
Msg: 27
Jury duty and how to get out of jury duty--Guaranteed.
Posted: 9/25/2006 1:10:48 PM
i dont know about in the states but in Canada if you get subpoena (sp)? to be on jury duty and dont show up it is an offense and can lead to a bench warrant.

On topic. Yes i have been on jury duty. Took for ever. the main process is very long but once the case starts its moves much faster.
 Devilsfan58
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Jury duty
Posted: 4/21/2013 3:34:10 AM
Twice. My company paid us regular salary and considered it part of our civic duty.

I am watching the Jody Arias Trial. I like the way Arizona allows the jurors to question the witnesses. I don't like the big fn game of charades. Sit 12 people down and lets go. The Victim didn't get the opportunity to have all these questions and answers that the defendent gets to favorbly include/exclude jury members deciding on their fate.

I was watching "Lock Up tonight" and got pretty incensed by a man whose wife was serving 9 years for Fraud/Ponzi Scheme activities. He was a co-conspirator. Between the two they swindled/misappropriated 60 million. His comment " I copped a plea as I felt my fate was better in my hands...then 12 juror members who couldn't figure out how to get out of jury duty.
 Consensuality
Msg: 29
Jury duty
Posted: 4/21/2013 7:08:11 AM
I've been called in several times but I haven't been picked yet. One time I was put in the box and during interviews they said it was a murder trial based on circumstantial evidence and I said that I would never convict someone of murder based on circumstantial alone. I was dismissed for that.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 30
Jury duty
Posted: 4/21/2013 10:14:16 AM
I went for jury duty a few weeks ago in L.A. Superior Court. You go into a big room and check in, there are about 250 people there, and they have wi-fi and some pc's to use for web-surfing, and there is a snack bar. Basically you just sit around to see if any juries are needed. There wasn't much going on that week, only about 40 people were called out, and at about 3 PM we were dismissed, and my jury duty was over.
One cool thing about jury duty in L.A., if you are picked for a jury, you get free downtown parking and free admission to many museums nearby, so you can go during the 2 hour breaks and do some interesting stuff .
 Molly Maude
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Jury duty
Posted: 4/21/2013 3:09:23 PM
I was on jury duty way back in April 1972 or 1973 ... Los Angeles Superior Court ...
back then, you went for an entire month ... the bank I was working for paid my full
salary as they considered it an honor to have an employee performing civic duty ...
and even back then, we had free parking and admission to interesting things
downtown ... we had quite a few free lunches, too!

it was quite an educational opportunity and I ended up serving on several varied and
exciting juries including a murder trial ... it was an excellent experience ... and one
that I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve ...
 TedJMill
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Jury duty
Posted: 4/21/2013 3:31:03 PM
I've been on jury duty a few times, but never managed a complete trial; I'd be rejected in voir dire, or the defendant would decide to settle or plea bargain partway. I just retired from my job recently, so now I'd like to be called for jury duty.
 Vesta_ceres
Msg: 33
Jury duty
Posted: 5/2/2013 2:53:39 AM
Yes - I had been called for it three times, since 1996. I was picked for the last round, three years ago; however, I was dismissed because I knew people from the police department to which the plaintiff was also connected, so my connection with them (not the plaintiff) would have hindered the defendant's right to a fair trial. At least that's how I felt, and the judge agreed. Dismissed,

The defendant deserved to be heard fairly.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Jury duty
Posted: 5/3/2013 11:41:05 AM
years later, I was called for jury duty when I was living in a VERY SMALL
town in central agricultural California ... potential jurors were asked if they
knew anyone involved in the case ... but NO ONE CARED ... the town's
so small EVERYONE knew EVERYONE!

I knew the judge, both attorneys, several of the other jurors and another
potential juror was even the cousin of one of the people involved in the trial
... apparently, that was totally okay with the Court ... small town ... small
jury pool ...

it was a case of spousal abuse and the wife had already "forgiven" him ... they
even put one of the children on the stand who begged us to "let my Daddy go
... he doesn't MEAN to beat up Mommy when he's drunk!" ... well ... Mommy
had been hospitalized in ICU for over a week and had barely survived ... so we
found Daddy guilty, thinking Mommy would have a year to realize she could
live her life without pain while he was in jail ...

I felt so much compassion for that family and have often wondered what
happened with them ...
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 36
Jury duty
Posted: 5/4/2013 11:48:56 AM
Have done, twice, brought plenty to read, and a good thing too because I did nothing but that and talk to other prospective jurors both times (three days apiece). No group I was in got called for potential selection. I didn't mind the few days but I'd have preferred to have the opportunity to serve - the process interests me.

All of which reminds me, I need to register to vote in my new state!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >