Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 251
Non-Religious Person dating a Jehovah's WitnessPage 11 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
^^^ Thank you.
I'll bust out my KJ and read it from the atheists point of view and comment later.

First thought: Women are degraded to the point of mere ticks on a man's azz in most of the bible, these two verses being no exception. The NT is usually less degrading than the OT, so I was a bit surprised to find the gospel and one of Paul's letters, but the bible always seems to surprise me, usually in a bad way.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 252
Non-Religious Person dating a Jehovah's Witness
Posted: 10/13/2010 2:18:45 PM
No where in either of those verses are the rules our pregnant friend spelled out for us detailed.

- Mark's quote does say that adultery is the reason a woman needs to leave, says nothing about men. Pregnant was simply regurgitating her clergy's interpretation of the verse, a politically correct one as the bible clearly degrades the value of women.

- Corinthians says if your wife leaves you, she's out on the street for good unless she comes back for forgiveness. Again, an interpretation designed to askew the fact that it's centered on a woman being outcast; as it reads here, again, women are devalued and degraded.
 scenesoflife
Msg: 253
Posted: 10/13/2010 3:21:28 PM
^^ well does that surprise you??

isnt that what the religious do..? interpet whatever sounds interessting to whatever is easiest to control the masses and keep the peace..??

I mean, as weird and out of date some if not most rules sound..I bet there are still in this day and age people who get stoned ( and Im not talking reefers..)
because of whatever some jackass wrote down in a fit of frustration or in a misguided sense of trying to stamp morals on other people because jackass cant be at peace with his own shortcomings and the way he handles them..

amen
 Welsh474
Msg: 254
Posted: 10/14/2010 10:25:35 AM
Nothing like organized/disorganized religion to keep women down. Has been going on for years and continues to do so and I can't imagine it changing all that much. Those of us with minds of our own will have to start our own crusade....
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 255
Posted: 10/15/2010 8:33:51 AM

Nothing like organized/disorganized religion to keep women down. Has been going on for years and continues to do so and I can't imagine it changing all that much. Those of us with minds of our own will have to start our own crusade....
One of the most disappointing moments recently was when I found out my brother's girlfriend (whom he co-habitates with) is taking him to church with her on Sundays. He was pretty much apathetic, now he's "Lutheran" or something. On Monday, they suggested my gf and I join them Sunday. When I laughed out loud (literally) they both became cold and distant the rest of the night.

I guess if I don't live like they do, I'm going to "hell" or whatever...

I'm really scared, by the way
 scenesoflife
Msg: 256
Posted: 10/15/2010 8:56:12 AM
^^ lol!!

I find it funny how religious people are "justified" to convince someone of theyre (or the ones indoctrinated on them)views, but when someone that doesnt believe in organized religion tries to convince them of theyre beliefs, it's a big taboo..

I grew up in that sh*tty JW "movement"..and years later when I detached myself..
this couple was at my door, trying to do the door to door thing..
I enjoyed that so so much.. because I knew exactly what they where going to say, and what the next point was, they grabbed onto to try and get me to cross the line..
skillfully I relayed every argument they made..

to topic.. dont "date" a JW!! for god's sake!
 aliveandwell314
Msg: 257
Posted: 10/16/2010 3:05:07 PM
Dont witnesses have elders they have to answer too? Somewhere along the line this will be a serious issue and blowup. Every witness is convinced they will be one of the chosen alongside god in paradise so how would they feel about their non-witness partner?
 Remington55
Msg: 258
Posted: 11/6/2010 7:29:39 AM
2 Corintians 6:14 - "Do not be unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and lawlessness..."

As with most religions, people have varying degrees of faith. Some associate themselves with a faith (religion) and sit on the fence, never really committing themselves, others truly make it a way of life. We all have needs, if our needs are not met, we go outside of the relationship or organization to get these needs met. It's that simple. Did you know that men and women have different needs? Find out what they are... I do... (generally speaking).

As for the Bible, there are fundamental bible principles that guide those who are seeking spiritual guidance, however people tend to bend the bible to suit their needs, thus the comments that the bible degrades women, it doesn't. I'm sure there are many GOOD people in any religion, regardless of the faith, just as their are Not-so-good people in these organizations too. Each person should be taken on their own merits, afterall we must all live to our highest values.

Would I date a JW? Definitely... Would I date a Christian? Definitely... Would I date a Muslim? Definitely... Would I date a Cultist? First define what that means to you and if it's negative, probably not. So what's the point? Each person needs to be assessed on their own merits. What are their highest values? Some people come under the guise of being a Christian, a JW, a Muslim, or whatever and do nasty things. Would I trust a JW? Most certainly (good majority of any faith)...

Am I a Christian? No, but I have bible principles instilled in my heart. I do my best to live up to my highest values. I was an associate with the JW's for 14 years (1980~1994), so I appreciate the experiences I've gained for beliefs. There is good and bad in every faith, just as their are good and bad in every person. I've also learned about our 'egos' & I'd like to think that I live in humility. The ego needs three things; the need for control, the need for approval, and the need to judge.

Anyway, I quoted the verse at the beginning because over time, our personal needs may be greater than the needs of the many, just as it is quoted in Star Trek, by Captain Spock, "The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many..." Luke 12:34 - "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." So if our sexual needs prevail, then that is where our heart shall be too... Or whatever our vices are...

So go with your heart, what is your inner voice telling you O/P? Trust in yourself and your higher power. All the answers are within you, we (readers) can pursuade you otherwise by our reasonings, however the final decision is up to you... It will not be an easy path. Why? Because "The needs of the one (may) outweigh the needs of the many..."
 ricardo1976
Msg: 259
Posted: 5/23/2011 8:44:15 AM
It's kind of a conundrum, because if he will date you, he actually isn't a Jehovah's Witnesses because most of them understand the relationship will be mutually deleterious. If he does start a romantic relationship with you, it means he doesn't have conviction and there may be underlying problems like drug abuse etc.

However, since you're agnostic and not a card-carrying atheist, why not start by just being friends and ask him for more information on their beliefs. I personally know that most people don't even grasp how normal these people are. I don't celebrate Christmas or buy into any capitalist bull shit either, and that doesn't mean I AM BRAINWASHED.

R
 Janet_Always
Msg: 260
Posted: 5/23/2011 9:00:10 AM
The fact that someone will date a non-believer means (to me) it is not a high priority in their life. It may have been how they were raised or customs they've experienced, but that pretty much it.

I have been in long-term relationships with a Mormon, Jew, Catholic, Atheist, Christian Scientologist... it was never an issue to me. I actually enjoyed asking questions and learning a little about their faith.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 261
Posted: 5/28/2011 9:20:55 PM
I am agnostic BECAUSE the family was Jehovah's Witness.
It is the absolute worse religion for a kid - no birthdays, no holidays, Christmas isnt in December, State holidays are forbidden, and of course there is hours of church indoctrination.

If you find me in a church, it is because somebody did not appropriately read the will.
 paprikas
Msg: 262
Posted: 5/29/2011 12:32:09 AM
Maybe a small problem I can see. If you or child will ever need a blood transfusion to save your lives they will refuse it and rather let you (or your child) die.

Other than that is should be fine.
 Simon4567
Msg: 263
Posted: 5/29/2011 10:15:12 AM

Non-Religious Person dating a Jehovah's Witness?

GET OUT!
 SpittyKitty
Msg: 264
Posted: 5/29/2011 6:51:34 PM
I wouldn't date a JW. If I were you I would seriously think about just remaining friends. Dating him could be hard on everyone. It's already causing trouble. See? Here you are on-line all worried about it. It's a bad idea, but you have to follow your heart and make your own decision. Just make sure your HEAD is engaged too.
 MsWinter
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2011 8:50:06 PM
I have afriend who is JW. Inever put him down, just pay attention to his behaviour .He can not drink ,dance ,doesn't celebrate b-days etc, He goes to church every Sunday and Wednesday.
The truth is that their religion is a cult and as long as they"look good" in front of you and not God they do whatever they want.
This man is suffering liver damage due to heavy drinking.Before I knew that he was a JW we went dancing twice a week.(Ihave known him 10 years.he says he has been JW 30 years).If there is a B-day celebration ,he will attend only if there is good food to eat. He doesn't sing the b-day song. He always arrive empty handed to all these parties.
Bottom line is :if you are willing to date a JW you have to have a strong stomach NOT TO QUESTION him about why he acts "against his religion"behind closed doors.
 Debyduz_
Msg: 266
Posted: 12/14/2012 5:01:55 PM
They focus on converting people. So unless you want to switch don't pursue him.
 hplazerjet
Msg: 267
Posted: 12/14/2012 7:14:49 PM
Oh man....I can only shake my head.

No way this will work.

JW are intense about their religion, and it permeates everything they do. They're really nice people, but if you're not
one of them it will never work. No way.

He must think he can work you until you convert.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 268
Posted: 12/15/2012 11:33:55 AM
I recently learned somethingI never knew about JW's from a co worker. I don't know if he married the mother of his 2 children, but she is a JW, & both of his children were raised in the faith. He is non religious.
JW's do not celebrate their Bdays, or Christmas. This was shocking to me. He has never bought either of his children a Bday or xmas present. I could not understand that at all. I was trying to figure out, since he is not a JW, why he wouldn't buy them presents. He explained it would be offensive to them if he were to give them gifts. He has never bought them a gift. This is an unthinkable practice to me.
I also know that they go door to door & they really know their bible versus & have them memorized from childhood.
Usually these types of relationships don't work out, a rehious & non religious couple. The bible says somewhere that you shall not be unequally yoked, meaning you should be with another who shares your views & is also in the religion you practice.
 Maleman999
Msg: 269
Posted: 12/15/2012 12:08:55 PM

JW's do not celebrate their Bdays, or Christmas. This was shocking to me. He has never bought either of his children a Bday or xmas present. I could not understand that at all. I was trying to figure out, since he is not a JW, why he wouldn't buy them presents. He explained it would be offensive to them if he were to give them gifts. He has never bought them a gift. This is an unthinkable practice to me.

Come to think of it, I don't think it's offensive at all, even though I usually follow the practice-at least card giving. The people who find it offensive and unthinkable are people who have been brainwashed and programmed by corporate America and retailers to believe they are horrible sinners and will go to Hell unless they empty their bank accounts to support retailers' profits whenever they are told to, on Hallmark holidays. Spending money on useless stuff does not make a person a saint and guarantees them a ticket to Heaven. I don't know the JW's view about Christmas, but why do non-religious people celebrate Christmas when the true meaning is pointless and meaningless to them?
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 270
Posted: 12/15/2012 3:20:25 PM
Maleman 99,
My post did not say that anyone should empty their bank account, or mention brainwashing, or they are going to hell. You are taking what I posted, & twisting it. I never said any of that nonsense you are spewing.
Every child deserves a gift on their bday & at xmas. If you chose not to gift your children on these important dates, that's your business, your dysfunction, & your miserly cheap & neglectful ways. I really don't care how you treat your children, or if you have any, or how you live your miserable life. You do not have the right to release your venemous hatred on those of us who love & value our children. I would never think of not showing my children they are special of their bdays & at xmas.
If you are the kind of parent who doesn't believe in bday parties, or giving your child a gift on these special days, I feel sorry for any offspring you bring into this world.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2012 7:14:01 PM

I wouldn't date a JW.

I would ..!, maybe because I like the hair
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 272
Posted: 12/15/2012 8:43:43 PM

JW's do not celebrate their Bdays, or Christmas.

Ancient Jews, and some modern Jewish groups, as well as the early Christians, did not celebrate birthdays either. That's why the actual date of Jesus Christ's birth was never recorded or remembered. The day someone died was recorded and commemorated more.

I also know that they go door to door & they really know their bible versus & have them memorized from childhood.

I quite enjoy debating JW's. I have a reply for every Bible quote they come up with. Most people have to try to get rid of them. They walk away from me because they rarely, if ever, encounter someone who can counter their quotes point by point.
 StrykinOut
Msg: 273
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:25:38 PM
I know this an ancient thread, but having grown up with JW's I know for certain that they are like a lot of other religions in this way: some are firm believers, some are convenient believers, some are there because their family is. A truly devout JW will not date a non-JW, unless it is entirely a ploy to gain a convert.
 theknight25
Msg: 274
Posted: 3/10/2015 11:36:09 AM
Don't do it! It's the worst heartache I've ever had. Wasting your time.
 Muttonforpunishment
Msg: 275
Posted: 3/10/2015 12:55:29 PM
I wonder what happened to the OP ?

.....hate it when they leave sans a follow up ....
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >