Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 afashionlady
Msg: 155
Non-Religious Person dating a Jehovah's WitnessPage 3 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
James

Uh...sir. Again, I will point out that you have not once, in your loooooooooooooooooooooooogggggggggggggggggggggggggggg posts about a faith that doesn't seem to be YOURS to claim.......

Didja even answer the poor woman's original question? Heck, by now, she could have decided to have the relationship, break things off and started another one with an agnostic like herself.

The question is simple yet you keep fogging up the issue with these ramblings. What gives???

Can you answer the question without writing a novel? Please? Others have done so, yet again...you've written these long posts refuting some stance (heck I stopped reading when I started getting a headache) that is being taken when all the woman asked was does her relationship have a chance.

Can you at least do that? Please?
 afashionlady
Msg: 158
Non-Religious Person dating a Jehovah's Witness
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:14:18 AM
Thanks the Real Thing 2

It's men and women like poor James P that make you understand the whole Mars and Venus concept:

OP: "I just wanna know, can an atheist and JW work it out?"
James P: "well, blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. And then uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (babbling on)
OP:"oh um, thanks James P. I decided to go find another atheist." Leaves thread while James is still babbling and the rest of us wondering what on EARTH James is talking about.

James is not interested in actually discussing anything. He just loves to pontificate...whether anyone actually pays attention or not.

Ummm...yeah...what she just said.

Disclaimer: "afashionlady, knowing really nothing about James and why he rambles on, honestly believes that he just needs to write the dang "JW's for Idiots" book, earn his money, and maybe stop talking...but that's just her early morning, no coffee yet opinion..." End
 JamesP166
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 11:24:59 AM
ah those that do no hear what has been said. and simply want to lash out and make themselves feel good - - - - to justify - -

I said that I have read many of the JW's books including ones that are banded because of what they say. Banded books that the JW's published themselves - - -

I have been to many meetings and found them wanting - - and I was involved with a person that was a member - - and knew something was not right - - so I started doing honest research upon the JW faith and what it is really about - - So I have done all that you have asked me to do - - - - -

I have never said that the JW's are bad people - - they are just people like the rest of us - - I am commenting upon the religion and what it is about - - and how it does not match with the bible - - -

As for me writing a book, The JW organization is well known for it's use of attorneys and have gone after any that have contested their religion. Two well documented cases are when the JW's sued a columnist for his comments about the founder Russell sued the columnist. And the JW's lost, the second well documented was when a columnist was sued for his comments about JW version of their bible. In both cases the suits were lost.
But puts the fear into others to not contest what the JW's are saying or doing - - - all this acts to keep the flock from knowing what is really going on and being said.

I have heard of other cases, including recently they appeared before the Highest Court as a friend of the court. on business dealings, - - selling of books, and having to report this business income, and reporting taxes, This would have hit the JW structure hard as they bring in most of their money from the book sales. This was a case brought forth by the IRS and one of the TV evangelist. If you have been a member of JW as you say you have. and it has been a while since I was involved - - - What is the spin / changes that have occurred as a result of this. - - - - The court ruling basically said This is a for profit business so this must be reported. This changed the aspect of separation of Church and state and would mean that the JW religion would have to start reporting it's Financial records to the IRS/government. The JW ruling body does not want to have to report where the money is going or how much is being taken in. - - - - So this shook the ruling body - - - hard. - - - - So many changes in how they deal with publications.

So even if a wrote a book that is totally based upon facts, copies of JW publications and is a totally honest book, I can expect lawsuits, restraining orders and all of this cost. Outlets that could/would be interested in selling the book would / could expect that same type of responses.

My comment is what do they have to hide - - - what do they not want us to know - - - as it has been said many times - - - bring it into the light - - let it be seen, - - - only evil is afraid of the light and likes to hide in the dark. - - - - -
 JamesP166
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 3:54:52 PM
Wow, Now I must hate Arabs, is that how low you have to try to find justifications for your arguments against me - - - - - - really sad that people will try to divert like this

Now, i ask you again - - - - How is the Enlightenment provided to the Ruling Body?

Can you answer this simple question - - - - - Provide this simple insight to how the ruling body gets it's insight, the enlightenment is provided.

Can you do that for me/us or are you afraid of the answer or what others will think.
As the answer - - when you really stop and think about it - - - does not really make sense - - - - -

Am I right about this simple point? Or not? Is asking this simple question, an attack upon your religion or simply asking for you to explain an aspect of your religion?

Jim P.
P.S.
I do not hate Arab's or Blacks, or Indian's, or anyone of any culture and have many friends that are from different cultures and have married different cultures - - and I do not simply mean white man an Asian. Yes, I have dated them and have married and East Indian and a mixed black. - - - -

What I do hate is the indoctrination of people - - such as with the Radical Muslims, the white Radicals in America that are for White Power and racial purity, and claim this is in the word of GOD, - - - -

I also find people that can not thing for themselves, but have to be told everything limited. The ones that will believe against all logic and concept - - will battle to prove what they think they know and refuse to check anything out - - - to see if what others are saying might have any valid points - - - -

again - where does the Enlightenment come from? and how? Isn't this one of the basic aspect of JW's religion.

and Oh, I am not a salesman, never have been, just a technical Electronics Engineer. To bad, that you in your justifications - can not directly answer a single point but have to try to attack this way and that way - - - is it because you know that I am speaking the truth?
 afashionlady
Msg: 161
Posted: 7/21/2008 5:29:48 PM
OH FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!

Jim...seriously. What on earth...???

Did you ever answer the dang question? Lordie...your posts alone take up almost a whole page!

Now, i ask you again - - - - How is the Enlightenment provided to the Ruling Body?

Oh I know...NOT. Will you answer the question? No? OK. Then this is what I'll assume sir...

"Yes, OP, I DO believe that you might have a chance with that nice young JW. If you and he are willing to communicate, maybe."

OR...

"No, no, no. Because I know JW's so well that they'll never let you NEAR that poor guy, and if they did, they'd try to brainwash you into being a Stepford JW."

So...now that I've helped Jim answer his question, can we all agree to disagree?

AF
 JamesP166
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 7:25:42 PM
So you do not know?

and do not want to find out about this very important aspect

that is your right - - - -

I know the answer, I have seen the JW publications where this was stated. Have you?

Jim P.
 afashionlady
Msg: 163
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:31:08 PM
[QUOTE]So you do not know? and do not want to find out about this very important aspect
that is your right - - - - I know the answer, I have seen the JW publications where this was stated. Have you?

Last time...cause apparently the person who's posting is just, well sorry, NUTS.

No, I don't know, no I don't want to find out and NO, I don't want to see or even know where to find it.

Since your head is so obviously buried elsewhere (in a JW text I guess?), I'm gonna leave you be. James, I feel sorry for you. Instead of answering a simple question, you've managed to hijack a thread into your own personal diatribe.

Don't worry, you've proven a point that I didn't think possible: there really ARE people who want to hear/read themselves instead of others.

Oh, and nothing in this post should be consided fact--except my pity for James.
 whatismy777
Msg: 164
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:33:16 PM
Don't they believe that Jesus Christ was an angel?
 JamesP166
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2008 7:43:05 PM
I have stated the in older JW publications that the leader said that he gets is direction or enlightenment from Spirits in his dreams - - - and who are the spirits? God and his angels have always spoken directly - not my Spirites. So who are the Spirits. - - - The Devil - that is the point to ponder, - - - Now, Jesus has said many times come directly to me. For this reason. With so few at the top, in control or guiding so many - Would not the Ruling Body be a perfect target for the Devil - - to collect souls. - - -

The guy responded with you can check this out here - - - I am going why, I know do you?

and I do not read the watchtowers or other publicati0ns anymore - - - years ago when trying to find out about them because of my wife being involved - - - - found out a lot more than expected. I simply thought it was some off base religion - - till I dug into what the religion is about and based upon. - - - - - - I was shocked at this - - - - - of course they put forth a good front and aspect of the religion. Most members have not stopped and realized these facts about the basics of their religion.

Jim P.
 Miss W
Msg: 173
Posted: 7/23/2008 9:31:22 AM
^^Maybe they ended up under the watch tower.

rdy2sttl
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2008 10:34:30 AM
First of all, why don't you get your facts straight first before you say something bad and untrue about different religions. My family has been Jehovah's Witnesses for years and they are NOT a cult! The absolutely do NOT try to take over your life or make you give all your money to them. You are by far one of the most ignorant people i have ever come across! Just because you met ONE and had a bad experience doesn't mean the whol religion is like that one person. why don't you look into your bible and see what it really teaches before you stay such stupid things you have not idea about! my suggestion is that you shut your mouth about things you don't know facts about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 rdy2sttl
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2008 10:41:21 AM
You are such an idiot and the most ignorant person i have come across!! yu have absolutely no ideas what you are talking about! I think you just like to hear yourself spout off about things you really don't know!
 rdy2sttl
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2008 10:43:44 AM
You need to keep your mouth shut if you have not first hand experience about this religion. If you are going only by hear say, then try finding out about something and let it be based on facts and not what you have heard! That is what an ignorant person does! Know your facts first!!
 rdy2sttl
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2008 10:48:48 AM
Where did you ever hear that Jehovah's Witnesses can't work? You really need to know what you are talking about before you say something that is completely idiotic!! My whole family are JW's and the women have full time jobs and so do most of the women in the congregation!! Please get facts before saying something you know nothing about!
 Miss W
Msg: 179
Posted: 7/23/2008 11:04:46 AM
^^Tis' a mystery towards whom, it not be known.

On topic, I don't know if a Witness and a non-religious person would get along, but I did have a friend become one to annoy her Christian Scientist mother-in-law. Her husband still adores her.
 Miss W
Msg: 180
Posted: 7/23/2008 4:26:23 PM
^^I thank you for the enlightenment...all the regulations are overwhelming, which is one reason why I am not into organized religion.

STH III
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2008 5:11:36 PM
run away as fast as you can, TROUBLE AHEAD!!!!
 lindy_3333
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2009 9:08:57 AM
I was a JW for some 75% of my life. ( I don’t go anymore, nor am I disfellowshiped.)

Some on here say Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe that if you are not with them, you are not doomed. NOT SO! They ALL do believe if you are not" in,” whether it be 144,000 going to heaven and the rest on the earth, you are doomed to hell! Hell being the common grave of mankind, and not living through the Big "A" or coming back after it for the 100o yr rule of Christ if you are terribly wicked! (Thus the go door to door to save people and bring them in!!!) Also, after the resurrection of the dead, and 100o yr rule of Christ after Armageddon, all mankind are tested by Satan and his demons previously bound, and if you follow him and you still won't accept the faith you ARE dead FOREVER in hell. (Not the burning hell, of course, but eternally dead with NO hopes of life along with Satan and his demons forever destroyed.) If you do not follow what they say, you are told you will die. Simple.

Or if you are gay as my niece discovered when growing up a JW, you are told as she was, if she continued on that course she was as good as dead! Nice thing to tell a young impressionable woman. Such love! As in most religions fear and reward are the keys. Listen, you are rewarded. Do not follow the "rules" you die- everlastingly or to hell or purgatory or whatever.

In MY opinion, NO religion has it right! NONE on this earth. I researched religion for 12 yrs. They ALL fail their followers. But that is another post lol.

MANY will not agree, but I LIVED through 48 years of being a JW. I KNOW. Most have their heads in the sand for a variety of reasons. Mine was buried deeply since I was raised in the faith. Some know they are not in the "right" one, but their lives are so involved with JW's, they stay anyway. They have their whole families, friends, and some even neighborhoods, all JW's!! Some even work with other JW's. They can't seem to find their way out without giving up EVERYTHING! And they would have to, almost, if not completely, in order to leave.

There is a large drop-out rate over the years which they don’t talk about because the new ones come in. There are a LOT of things they don’t talk about. But, again, it is just like that in all religions. Sad thing is religion is a large part of why this world functions so horribly!

Of course, many will attack me on this, but that’s fine. I know what is what and that is all that is important. I am still researching but still haven’t found any "truth" out there. I don’t expect to either. It's too messed up by kings and other governments and religions for their own reasons of "rulership," to ever be pure and true. I also discovered as a JW a question NO ONE has been able to answer about a Bible Scripture which STILL goes unanswered. I asked many elders, many ministerial servants, and since then, any religious person I know and NO ONE can answer it directly. Seems odd that there is no answer. But I know why: because certain Bible books and writings were deleted. So how does that fit with “ALL Scriptures are inspired of God and beneficial for mankind……2 Timothy

As far as marrying a non believer it is a HUGE no-no since there is a large risk you will leave the organization because of being unevenly yoked, your mate will change your mind and cause you to leave it and then they loose resources. If you do marry out of the faith you will be ostracized to some extend at least. Many will not include you in gatherings and the like, unless you are EXTREMELY "active" in the organization and popular. If you have sex outside of marriage you can be reproved or disfellowshiped. Only way out of a JW marriage is cheating: either you or your spouse. But, they like you to forgive and stay with each other if possible. I f you are the one cheating you will be reproved or disfellowshipped.

But, if you REALLY look at most churches you will find rules and regulations in them all. JW's have just done it a bit differently than most. But others are similar to them. JW's used to be the fastest growing religion, now I think it is the Mormons.

One way or the other, blind faith in anything, without extensive research is not a good idea. JW’s still discouraging college but at one time that was a no-no also. They have changed many of their original scripts in books in more recent editions too to support their ideals. Why would you need to do that if you were directed by God as the "Governing Body" is supposed to be? But of course they have an answer for everything... Just not good ones, but all in all it's just another man-made organization gone awry, as they all are.

You might ask yourself why ANYONE is Catholic with all the proven bad things that church has been and is still involved in? Most people NEED to have a group to belong to. So they find the one that fits the best for the moment. Some stay a lifetime others stay briefly. Same with JW's, or ANY religion. None are really better or basically different than the others. That includes the non-Christian ones.

Religion is just another control factor for the masses.

If you are NOT a JW contemplating marrying one or dating one, RUN! Remember THEY are going against their own beliefs in considering YOU! How is that a good begining?

If you are a JW contemplating a "worldly" person, you have issues with your faith too. Straighten that out before involving someone else!

Happy fishing!
 SCMountainChick
Msg: 189
Posted: 8/24/2009 1:02:50 PM
Pandora

I know I am a little late in replying to your post.

I was raised JW. My mother was a JW and my father was not.

If you are an agnostic, this relationship will not be successful unless one of you changes their religion preference.

JW religion is a very self righteous organization; meaning they will always be "right" and you will always be "wrong"....

Good luck with your decision... I say RUN in the opposite direction....
 pamsfl
Msg: 191
Posted: 10/12/2009 9:01:44 PM
OY VEY! Didn't want to say anymore but I had to.
 scottey63
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 10:21:37 AM
If he's considering dating someone who is not a Jahovah's Witness, he is probably not all that serious about being one himself, or has been disfellowshipped, as the other posts say.

He would not be disfellowshipped for dating or marrying someone outside the organization, but it is strongly frowned upon. And it could lead to something happening that he would be disfellowshipped for, such as premarital sexual activity or if took part in a wedding in another church.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 10:39:21 AM

showed no remorse for whatever his sin was which can be anything from smoking to sex before marriage

So, I suppose having a smoke after fornicating, is out of the question? Hmm...

~ds~
 GuyN3xtDoor
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 4:06:27 PM
Hi Pandora33,

You ask a good question. As a non-denominational Christian, I used to date women from outside my belief system, however it usually doesn't work because one of you eventually will probably want the other to come their way spiritually.

I'm not saying it can't work in all cases. For you it will probably be easier if you are not a believer, however at some point he will probably want you to become more spiritual if he is serious about his faith. You may want to ask him what his expectations if you were to marry, if that is in either of your future plans. This can often be an issue when it comes to having children.

Now on the other hand, if he is not a very serious believer then he may be more flexible. However, Jehovah's Witnesses are generally extremely devoted and very serious about their faith.

Also, if you were talking Catholic and non-denominational or Protestant, then sure there may be some differences, but you both would be Christian and have enough in common to find common ground. Or, even for some that are Jewish and Christian, there are some significant differences, but there are some significant similarities as well. Generally, the more devoted one is to their faith, the less they are willing to marry outside their faith.

At the end of the day, take into consideration all the advice you receive here, but the most important thing is that you talk with him about both of your expectations for the future if your relationship were to lead to marriage. If neither of you are thinking marriage, then it does not matter so much.

Best wishes and God bless

scottey63
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2010 6:41:52 PM
You might notice Lindy posted her comment over a year ago, and she hasn't posted any comments on the forums since...I'd be surprised if you got an answer to that question from her.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >