Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scenesoflife
Msg: 199
Non-Religious Person dating a Jehovah's WitnessPage 4 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
lol.. I know the original post was posted pre-war times..

but I think its pretty funny whats being said here.. I too grew up JW.. it was hell to me.. hated every second of it.. thats beside the point..

but yes, I would agree with most posters, dont go there..
those people are warped and rigid in theyre beliefs and ways of conduct..

so unless you want to be married, there's no way you'll have sex with the guy..

ugh..

what a mess
 cenomeno
Msg: 200
Non-Religious Person dating a Jehovah's Witness
Posted: 9/9/2010 6:48:02 PM
It's like asking "Should I stick my finger in an electrical outlet?"....... dumb and makes you go "why o why"
With all the non religious smart and rational fish in the sea..... Tsk tsk tsk.....
 PregnantLady
Msg: 201
Posted: 9/9/2010 11:31:44 PM
I am a 7th day Adventist and my husband is a baptized Jehovah's Witness.
 scenesoflife
Msg: 202
Posted: 9/10/2010 10:44:18 AM
^
see where it got you..? now youre pregnant!!
that poor child prob. will come out amish!

PregnantLady
Msg: 203
Posted: 9/10/2010 11:48:19 AM
We are raising our child just strictly as a Christian. Not forcing any one belief on them.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2010 3:58:08 PM

We are raising our child just strictly as a Christian. Not forcing any one belief on them.

But you are.
Christianity is a "belief", like Jewish is a belief.
 PregnantLady
Msg: 205
Posted: 9/10/2010 5:57:04 PM
Okay we are not going to force my Adventist belief on them or his witness belief
 scottey63
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2010 6:08:56 AM
I don't know about Adventists, but I'd say that a JW who doesn't push very strongly to raise a child in that faith is not terribly serious about being a JW.

Dr. Mike also raises a good point. If your husband takes any part in your child celebrating birthdays, traditional religious and national holidays, he'll be subject to disciplinary action.
 PregnantLady
Msg: 207
Posted: 9/11/2010 7:46:13 PM
Yes, the child will celebrate holidays my husband just wont be there
 PregnantLady
Msg: 208
Posted: 9/11/2010 7:47:07 PM
My husband knows if he tries to get pushy that I will leave him and take the child with me
 Beyond the Cleavage
Msg: 209
Posted: 9/11/2010 7:55:05 PM
^^I thought your god didn't allow divorce?
 readthedamnprofile
Msg: 210
Posted: 9/12/2010 12:54:19 PM
I think you do know what to do. He is being short sighted but, you already know there are potential pitfalls here. People rarely change their religious views unless something life altering happens to them so neither of you is likely to wake up some morning and decide to embrace the others point of view on this.

Jehovah Witness is not seen as a mainstream religion, they have some very "unconventional" views. Some religions are pretty generic and while the persons faith probably has an impact on them in a major way, the tenants of their church are such that anyone who lives a fairly normal, decent life would not find them restrictive or unnusual. When you start getting into religions where life issues such as health care and holiday celebrations and so forth become factors you are going to have to make major alterations to your lifestyle in order to make it work. As an agnostic, I doubt you will be willing to do that.
 PregnantLady
Msg: 211
Posted: 9/13/2010 12:31:47 AM
You're right I do not believe in divorce for any reason. But I didn't say I'd divorce him I said I'd leave him.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 212
Posted: 9/13/2010 7:17:48 AM

Yes, the child will celebrate holidays my husband just wont be there
Jeez, another "happy" Christian family...
7th day whatever and Jehovah's witness, "leave" but not "divorce." What's going on here?
Can't you guys put that stuff aside for the holidays so your kid can enjoy them with both his/her parents? Is the hubby going to celebrate with other JW's while you and the kid kick it at home? Doesn't make sense to me, but I guess I'm a heathen and don't understand this religious nonsense...
 PregnantLady
Msg: 213
Posted: 9/13/2010 7:30:50 AM
Exactly what would my husband be celebrating? They just don't flat out acknowledge holidays at all. Celebrating holidays at all is against their religion.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 214
Posted: 9/13/2010 8:14:50 AM
^^^ Okay, I get that. But, wouldn't he forgo this belief to be with his family at what could be considered an important time? I know Christians think "faith, family..." meaning they put faith over family; I never got this and still don't, a man should be with his family if they want him there, regardless of his belief in a certain dogma.
 PregnantLady
Msg: 215
Posted: 9/13/2010 10:37:38 AM
If a Christian is strong in their belief and they think something isn't right then they are not going to budge on it.
I don't believe in making purchases between sundown Friday and sundown Saturday. I have missed things with my husband because of this belief but I refuse to budge on it.
At first he thought that he'd just pay for things and that would make it okay and it doesn't. Whether it is me or him spending the money I refuse to take part in anything that costs money for that 24 hour period .

I knew when we got married and got pregnant that my husband wouldn't be around for the holidays but I told him that I will not keep my child from celebrating holidays.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 216
Posted: 9/13/2010 11:03:37 AM
^^^
Messages this short may not be posted
Messages this short may not be posted
 PregnantLady
Msg: 217
Posted: 9/13/2010 1:33:29 PM
What's the problem?
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 218
Posted: 9/13/2010 1:52:59 PM
^^^ I find it funny that two fundamentalists of differing fundamentals allow those to disrupt family life (I participate in this, but you don't, and you have to agree or I'm leaving, not divorcing).
Makes me happy I'm non-religious.
 PregnantLady
Msg: 219
Posted: 9/13/2010 3:15:40 PM
I'm not saying we have to agree on things but I am not going to have him pushing his belief on our child just as he expects me not to push mine.

We already came to an agreement between the 2 of us that the child would celebrate holidays and if he didn't choose to participate that is his business.
If he wants to buy something for the child between sundown fri and sat then that is his business but i wont be taking part.
It may not work for everyone but my husband and I are insanely happy together.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2010 4:19:17 PM
We already came to an agreement between the 2 of us that the child would celebrate holidays and if he didn't choose to participate that is his business. If he wants to buy something for the child between sundown fri and sat then that is his business but i wont be taking part. It may not work for everyone but my husband and I are insanely happy together.

Your child is going to be very confused.

Hire your child a secretary, so they can tell your child what they can and can't do, when they can, and can't, and at what hour on which day.
 PregnantLady
Msg: 221
Posted: 9/13/2010 4:34:58 PM
What exactly is our child not allowed to do?
 That Handy Man
Msg: 222
Posted: 9/14/2010 6:06:16 PM
I probably posted earlier, but can't recall.

And I noticed that that OP is gone!

Yes, I did this! Was involved with a JW. Basically, good people, in my opinion. But, as has been mentioned VERY serious about their convictions. They put A LOT of pressure, on the woman I was seeing! From many different directions. Kind of reminded me of an ant colony, all pulling in the same direction, working for the common good.

In my opinion (not speaking of the religious beliefs at all) they are NOT tolerant of any wishy-washy members, nor those involved with non JWs.

In the end, they MOVED this woman a few hundred miles away (from me), to perform their work. For health reasons, she came back, but also, as she was quite strong minded and independent, I guess what she experienced, was a little too much for her, and she left the JWs. It was a real eye opener, that these apparent gentile people, can be such bullies!
 Beyond the Cleavage
Msg: 223
Posted: 9/15/2010 2:31:39 AM

What exactly is our child not allowed to do?

Well, what about when your child is old enough to go shopping between sundown Friday-Saturday on his or her own or with a friend or with his father? Is that ok? And what about if your child wants to celebrate holidays? Is that ok?
And which variation of Christianity will he or she be taught? Yours? Your husbands? A hybrid?
This is what will be confusing for your child. And Pingshooter's right - better get him a social secretary or, at the very least, teach him to diarise.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >