Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dating a man who is 22 years older than me?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Beachgirl062
Msg: 101
Dating a man who is 22 years older than me?Page 5 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I think Catherine would have plenty of her own money dont you think? So maybe its something else!!
 musical_turtle
Msg: 102
Dating a man who is 22 years older than me?
Posted: 4/13/2012 6:38:13 PM
I'd think I was dating the person I'd want to date at that moment, no big deal.
If I knew/saw someone dating someone 22 years older than them...I'd think
they're just dating who they want to date, no big deal. =)
Making yourself happy by dating who you want is #1.
What everyone else thinks comes second,imo. =)
 grove_22
Msg: 103
Posted: 4/18/2012 6:46:57 AM
I had short term / casual relationships with women that were 15-20 years older than me. Although they were nice people and the sex was great (LOL), it is highly unlikely I would have a serious relationship with a woman that much older than me. Having said that, what matters the most is the feelings of the 2 people involved in the relationship.
 optimismfirst
Msg: 104
Posted: 4/18/2012 10:13:47 AM
no way!!!!

tooo grossss
 larrylee66
Msg: 105
Posted: 8/13/2012 1:34:49 PM
age aint nothing but a number as long as she is mature
 jsphn11
Msg: 106
Posted: 8/13/2012 6:03:00 PM

But if you are 50 and heading towards retirement and he is 22 years older and heading towards retirement and you both want to travel and see the world and such, then it might not be that big of a difference.

Oh no, 50 and 72 is a huge age difference. She is still working, he is already retired. She still has energy, he is more likely slowed down a lot. Health wise, it might be a big difference too. In addition, just an idea of dating a man her mother’s age is disgusting…

age aint nothing but a number …

I’ve heard that in the past. Mostly from men who would only date younger :-)
 Maleman999
Msg: 107
Posted: 8/13/2012 6:44:08 PM
If you date someone 22 years younger and it doesn't work out, there could be a back-up plan. If the parents are divorced, you can date the mother next who would be about the same age as you.
 rdeffley
Msg: 108
Posted: 8/13/2012 7:31:41 PM
I dated a woman 20 years older than me. The sexual compatibility was great, but we weren't a good fit in general. She developed feelings and I could not return them. I think that in order for it to work, you have to be on the same page. Are you both looking for long term, are you OK introducing him to your friends/family without feeling embarrassed, are you fine being seen in public with him, etc.. These are all things you have to take into consideration.
 DreamsHopeLight
Msg: 109
Posted: 8/18/2012 5:06:40 PM
Yikes! What could you possibly have in common?
 Lionesse19
Msg: 110
Posted: 8/18/2012 10:37:56 PM
How about a woman dating a man 22 years younger!! I had the opportunity but felt we didnt have enough in common or common ground. However if you like the guy then why not? I am sure many a man would love to date a woman so much younger, for the sex and the kudos. Depends on the ages of the people concerned. It is another generation and the father complex can come into it when there is 22 years difference.
 CathyM09
Msg: 111
Posted: 8/29/2012 8:26:26 PM
I think the most important thing is if he treats you well. Age shouldn't be the determining factor whether you date a guy or not.
But, you should know that you are both in completely stages in life.. So their might be some issues because of that. Good luck with everything.
 CathyM09
Msg: 112
Posted: 8/30/2012 5:43:54 PM
Does your parents know about this? If they do, do they approve of it?
 mitchozie
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 6:51:16 PM
Here's a Canadian Senator (69) with a 23 year old wife, go figure.

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Woman-23-Arrested-for-Threatening-Her-69-Year-Old-Senator-Husband-On-Flight-167474425.html

I should add that when I was 67, I had a 32 year old girlfriend.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 114
Posted: 9/4/2012 8:04:14 AM
Better then dating a woman 22 years older then me
 annywn
Msg: 115
Posted: 9/5/2012 2:49:30 AM
ew.........................................
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 116
Posted: 9/6/2012 4:57:06 PM

H8MasculinityH8BeingAMan:
i still wouldn't even date a woman who is 10 years younger than me, thats gross still

That's just a stupid comparison. 10 years younger than you would be what, 12 years old? I think you just don't like the competition from guys who are older and have more to offer than you do. Well some women your age don't like immature little boys and would rather dater date a mature man instead.
 mitchozie
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2012 9:07:22 PM
An immature young man who can't handle the competition from an older man. LOL.
The fact is that mature women (of any age) are turned off by men who act like little boys, and prefer the company of real men.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 118
Posted: 9/7/2012 3:28:55 AM

H8MasculinityH8BeingAMan:
most men don't give a rat's ass about a woman's maturity

Young Man, you don't have a Fvckin' clue what most Men think, so stop trying and speak for them. the most you know is what your small group of friends think.
 OutMind
Msg: 119
Posted: 3/13/2014 3:00:59 PM

When I was in my 40's and newly divorced I went through a succession of women in their 20's early 30's. Now that I'm in my 60's I find myself bored silly to even be around the young. Then again I have two friends my age who both married young women and they're both very happy. Whatever works for you, love is so rare in this world if it happens at all regardless of age you better latch onto it and hold it very dear. Most people never get a second chance.

I've been seeing around my neighborhood is dads that are in their mid 50s going around with 3 year-old kids and the moms are in their mid 30s to early 40s. Is this a new trend?
 bamagrl68
Msg: 120
Posted: 3/13/2014 4:04:53 PM
cutieyang- I am a completely different person at 45 than I was at 23.
Maturity and life choices would be an issue.
It's not impossible for it to work, to each their own, I guess.
If both people are on the same page and they really care for one another, it would probably be ok.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2014 4:49:42 PM

most men don't give a rat's ass about a woman's maturity
Young Man, you don't have a Fvckin' clue what most Men think, so stop trying and speak for them. the most you know is what your small group of friends think.

Yes, this right here is a real indication of what's at play here...if you don't give a rat's ass about a woman's maturity, that just means that you're a boy, not a man. If a female lives in that world, mostly responding to and encouraging the boys who don't give a rat's ass about a woman's maturity, or if she's the type to exploit and manipulate according to this type of male personality, that just means that she's a girl, not a woman.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 122
Posted: 3/14/2014 8:23:48 AM
Hell no. I'm a nurse by profession and sure as heck wouldn't want to be one at home. Same age or younger is the way to go for me personally. Not at all interested in older men.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 123
Posted: 3/16/2014 5:51:24 PM

TrustinKarma:
Hell no. I'm a nurse by profession and sure as heck wouldn't want to be one at home. Same age or younger is the way to go for me personally. Not at all interested in older men.

Keep thinking that's any type of guarantee. I was older than my late wife and by all rights should have died first. Yet she's dead at 52 and now I'm 60 and still kicking around.
 kj521
Msg: 124
Posted: 3/16/2014 6:04:22 PM
^^^^^`^ isn't that the truth! No guarentees in life! Would be nice if there was though......(just a little sigh!)

I say date whoever interests you regardless of age....
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2014 3:28:46 AM
Two people with a major age difference doing any kind of dating, having some kind of relationship, or just being together despite what you call it...like so many other things that we talk about, is so very dependent upon who you are and what you care about or look for in dating in the first place, despite age -

A couple of the reasons why someone would be very hesitant getting with someone much younger than them is because they might not want to take away the younger person's opportunity to find that good person closer to their age, instead of being together when the older one gets old and frail and dies though the other still has a good bit of life ahead of them...so if there're some real feelings involved, they might get suppressed. Or because they don't want the younger one to get emotionally attached too easily, something that the older might not care about so much but know that the younger is prone to. But then, some pe0ple don't really care about these things, and so wouldn't be concerned with the former, and would be concerned with the latter either because they don't care about real feelings or attachment and don't want to be burdened with it, or they do care but know that the younger might get that way too easy for wrong reasons.

Or, it can not really matter. Not be a big deal. As long as it's understood that it's not meant to last too long...the two persons intending to share a little life together, but for a limited length of time, after which there are no issues with hurt feelings - when much younger, would I have been interested in, and capable of emotionally, a not-for-life relationship with a much older woman? Perhaps. In my case, probably. But that couldn't apply to many (even though they'd like to think so). Yet I probably wouldn't have been automatically interested, though capable of.

So, about the maturity question...for the most part, if the two persons involved don't think that there is a maturity gap, as in the younger one is "mature for their age"...it's usually because 1) In fact the older one is not as mature for their age, being therefore closer to the younger, or 2) Maturity is simply irrelevant to what each is after, or some elements of maturity just have no bearing on the dynamics of what's between them, or 3) For one or both, it's a case of "maturity" being a charade, a pretense one lets the other maintain or both humor each other in, just like it is with many adults anyway.

With all of that said, because of what some people are looking for, their attitudes about relationships/love, and how they feel about such things...age differences might genuinely not be a factor, and letting a major age difference be a barrier might be a bit difficult - it might be seen as a choice between possibly never finding someone (around your younger age), and not passing up something real or good with someone even though they are much older (or younger). The attitude might be that how long you have doesn't matter, if you get to share some life with someone when it's real. And, though I think that it's got to be much rarer than many would claim, I'm sure that there are occasions when the two people involved really are both "mature" (versus a pretense of) enough as is relevant to a real relationship, do have something real and meaningful between them, and not caring where the younger person is in life in light of the opportunity to have this might in fact be as legitimate of a way to go as any other way to choose or try for.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dating a man who is 22 years older than me?