Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 13
view profile
History
What happened to Morals, and true unconditonal love?Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
They, like Santa Claus, never existed: but they make a lovely children's fairy tale.
Santa is a fairy tale? ... ... well crap ... there just went the true meaning of X-mas for me!

OT: Here's a thought ... Morals and true unconditional love cannot be dictated. They are what comes from deep inside us. Some just do a better job than others during the developmental stage?

I dunno ... it was just a thought ...........

I do hope things are going better for you today.

jmn120176
Msg: 16
view profile
History
What happened to Morals, and true unconditonal love?
Posted: 12/24/2006 8:49:56 PM

When I love someone I love them for all their faults and everything.

Me too, dude, but women don't want nice guys today. It's like a scarlet letter.
 quietstorm8
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2006 6:54:09 AM
we need to be clear--we have romantic love, and
unconditional love--which is loving someone without getting anything
back,romantic love is conditional. based on a person's looks
and personality.

not to be judgmental about it--we should of course pursue
our human desires, but i feel we should also practise unconditional
love more,even toward strangers

unconditional love cannot be insulted or injured,,,,,,
its also our souls' destiny
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/28/2006 6:49:03 AM
Yes of course there is still unconditonal love in relationships and marriage. Unconditonal love is the only real love.

It simply means that you will always love someone regardless of what happens or what they do. It doesn't mean that you will keep living with them and being abused.

Also just because you are related to someone by blood, does not mean that loving them is automatic.
 fozzybear6
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/29/2006 4:46:27 PM
yeah i often wondered that myself...a person who is stubborn and willing to go the extra yard to work t make it right and you soulmate gives you the i just want us to be friends and runs away is kind of funny...
 colt8301
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/30/2006 3:56:17 AM
Hey what can I say but the usual, the world is s%$$. People can say looking for negative that's all you see, but I think i am being a realist and I call everything how i see it. I'm tired of giving people the benefit of the doubt, so to me everybody bad.
 abrethoffreshair
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 6:52:18 PM

They're still out there. A little harder to find these days. I've found it and it has given me a breath of fresh air.

...funny you should say that...lol!
 abrethoffreshair
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 7:15:17 PM
I know exactly where you're coming from...the old ways do not
exist anymore. The things you are speaking of existed with our
parents & grandparents...they do not exist with our generation
anymore. When our parents & grandparents married...they
married each other for life, regardless of the obsticles they had
to face...they still remained together. My parents were married
for 52 years when my Dad passed away. There is a very SLIM
chance of a married couple in our generation ever reaching that
number of years.
 youheartme
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/30/2007 8:55:02 PM
Morals are subjective to perspective based on experience. Love in a romantic sense...well, I don't believe it exists.
 degostyle
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/4/2008 1:31:14 PM
Unfortunently, there are men and women who think they are better than anyone else out there so they think because they are so hot, if they dont get what they want from one person, they think they can get it from someone else..The gods gift to men/women syndrome...They have no morals..no remorse..they only think of themselves...And thats why marrige isnt taken so seriously anymore..because there are too many men and women who are too selfish...And of course your going to have the people that come out and say well I deserve to be treated like this and that..Well, my question to those people is...What in the world did you do to deserve being treated better than anyone else in this world?
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2008 2:50:00 PM
You deserve to be treated the way you treat others which is why we should always treat other's the way we want to be treated in return. That doesn't always happen though and the real truth of the matter is ...we should always treat each others with respect regardless of how they treat us.

Is that difficult sometimes?? You betcha!! But that would certainly make the world a better place and in many cases may change the way the other person acts towards us because they'll feel bad for treating us so badly. Either that or it will confuse the hell out of them!
It's kind of like smiling at everyone, even the grumpy old man/woman in the store. Smiles are contagious and when you give them, you almost always receive one back. Even if it's a stranger...it's one of the greatest forms of communication. : )

One of the greatest gifts my mom gave me was her unconditional love. She also taught me to love those who are most important to me in my life the same way. It would be great if I could feel that way towards everyone but I'm only human and admit I have a hard time with it.
I know some people don't think that unconditional love exists because they feel we do put conditions on everything but to me unconditional love means loving someone even if they don't uphold our conditions. Even if they hurt us, disappoint us, make us angry, don't listen to a word we're saying...it's being compassionate and trying our hardest to forgive, move forward and love them regardless of what they've done, or did not do.

I love my children unconditionally. I love my family unconditionally. I love certain friends who will always remain close to me, unconditionally.

ULA,
me
 degostyle
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/5/2008 8:53:24 AM
Silentdemon, your wrong about that. There are a shit load of people who fall in love with someone who doesnt love them back. And just an fyi, if you have ever been in love, I HIGHLY doubt that you and the woman you fell in love with fell in love at the excact same moment at the exact same time, so, that would mean you fell in love with her unconditionally wouldnt it?
 degostyle
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/6/2008 3:19:47 PM
Think about what you just said..."conditions for that particular person were met sooner than for the other person"...Since when did falling in love with someone..unconditionally or not..Have conditions to it?...You can fall in love with someone and that person doesnt meet anything that you were previously looking for. Love is blind to your "conditions"...It happens when it happens..And more times than not, when you least expect it and there is nothing you can do about it except run away from it and that would be cowardly and foolish
 nexthyme
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 3:39:01 PM
Unconditional love as about 100 have already said is something between your kids, and parents. Past that it is always some sort of condition when it comes to a partner, and always has been.

The promise part, yep that flew out the window with the moment it was stated in the vows of for richer...........Then a glazed look comes over to people, and commitment for life, is just something that sounds pretty poetic.

Don't worry though, cause whether you admit it or not even you have broken a promise, or agreed to something that sounded good at the time then all of the sudden managed to forget, or meant it AT THE TIME, but things have changed...

You are surrounded by real people, just not in the sense that you are hoping for, which is a condition in and of itself.

So if you want true unconditional love, buy a dog, they will love ya and kiss ya, and miss ya the very moment you walk out the door. They will never complain that you don't feed them right, and only hope that you do take care of them. They will kiss your tears, and even lay down with you when you are in the death throws of passing a kidney stone.

People these days, are just to busy for that kind of love...

HOWEVER, don't dispare, love, real love, it is still out there, you just have to be the person YOU are looking for... Then you will find the love you want...
 SmileMakerSue
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/8/2008 4:06:59 PM
I just put up a song I wrote about it that I will replace eventually with the full version in better quality. Let me know what you think. It's on my profile. Full lyrics are below my profile narrative. Thanks for initiating a good discussion!
 nexthyme
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2008 1:04:25 PM

He criticized my boys character (these are not bad kids) and asked if we were a packaged

Deb, it is always conditional, and you had the condition for him to love and accept you as a package.

Don't beat your senses up to badly shug, we all make errors in judgment because some sheep constumes are that good, and it is better you found out who and what you were really dealing with early on.

I dated someone for TO LONG, and he too was hard on me towards my son, and my ex, and anyone that I was friends with and family... He constantly rode me about how my son wasn't this that or the other, and I fought back that how could he know when he never had kids... Didn't matter, it was about him, his life and how he felt about things.

Unconditional love does not exist between to people in a relationship, besides kids, and pets (usually a dog) there will always be expectations of acceptance, or how a person wants to be treated, and how they treat and accept others.

Personally I have never seen unconditional love between two people in a romantic relationship, because there is always a condition, even if it is just to have that person love them back...
 Ferrus Manus
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2008 8:51:32 PM
current society is all about getting the newest and best things out there, who needs love, or monogamy when it's easier to just find an upgraded model, or why even bother staying with one at all when you can just grab a quick fix when ya need it.

maybe it's people hurting others before they get hurt, maybe it's that we're not encouraged or rewarded for being honorable.

who knows if this love concept is even real. biologically we find a partner, get those feelings, do it like monkeys till a kid pops out, kid takes up all time/energy until it's self sufficient and we die, at least, hundreds and thousands of years ago, now we've got all this free time and don't have to struggle to survive. simply put, idle hands are the devils playthings.

since we have ample food and shelter, we're living a lot longer, forever may have been 10-20 years in the past, now forever can mean 50+.

i'm tired and ranting, i'm sure this makes no sense, but i know what you're going through, sadly more and more people are feeling the same...maybe enough to turn it around.
 picmenc
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2008 8:03:25 AM
Unconditional love- Pets give it !
 roger lee
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:50:37 PM
The squewed way you crouch this, yes, love would seem to be conditional and there would e no such thing as unconditional love. But if you set it up in a more natural way (I understand that you would say this if you've only experienced conditional are partial 'love').

Think about it:
you love someone and they love you back. Statement.
you love someone and they don't hurt you. Statement.
you love someone who makes you feel good. Statement.

Now, regarding your 1st original statement, your 'love' for them is conditioned on whether they love you back. Conditional.
#2 You 'love' somebody because they don't hurt you (but that can be said about a fencepost too can't it?). Conditional.
#3 You 'love' somebody because they make you feel good (does that mean your love for another person is on the same level as your love for money, alcohol, sex and a nice car? I hope you work more on what love really means.
I have had girlfriends who have left when things got rough, but I have had 2 very good friends who I have been honored to have in my life. They loved me back when I was not loving toward them. They loved me, and risked my anger when telling the truth would anger me (it hurt at the time being, but it was best in the long run), and their love made me feel good even now that I am 2400 miles away from them another.
 roger lee
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2008 7:54:36 PM
Neednoshit, it always breaks my heart when I hear of how a man walks over and mistreats a woman. I wonder why he even bothered to take up with her in the first place. It wouldv'e been better for her if he hadn't even come around, at least she could've gone on with her life & not have to deal with any of the crap that he put her thru. I'm so sorry that you had to go thru that. I hope the next man (and I mean a 'man', not just a 'guy') who is honored to enter your life treats you with the love and respect that you deserve.
 Calif1971dream
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/22/2008 10:42:58 PM
I hate to live in the negative but true unconditional love very rarely exits. You get it from your dog and your children when they are little. Even as your children get older, their love does not remain unconditional. Unconditional love is given by the innocent. I know I'm jaded but my experience of late is that unconditional love is only slightly rarer than a man who isn't looking for a one-night stand or a motherly caretaker. They just don't seem to exist, no matter what a man says.
 catman40
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/23/2008 5:00:52 AM
My co-workers who got married tell me " stay single " once the man puts the ring on and signs the marriage papers . he THINKS he owns you . I hear this alot . I was in my early 30's met my ex at the time everything was good . THEN , she looked at me as a ATM . She did not like it that I made less then her . and did not have money to buy alot . I was making minuim wage . and that to her was a downgrade . I want someone who money does matter . " how much you make is not important what we do is " I guess those days are gone .
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 7:25:20 AM
Morals in USA died off as more and more people abandoned going to Christian churches.

Get over yourself. the Christian church does not have a monopoly on morality. Never has. This may come as a shock to you, but you don't have to be Christian to be moral.

And just open up a history book if you want to se a plethora of examples of atrocities done in the name of the Christian religion.

From a personal morality point of view, things were better in the 50's I grew up in those days.

You mean when black people were forced to sit in the back of the bus? When many people lost their jobs because of a mere accusation that they were Communist?
 Quasi Divine
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 5:39:43 AM
well i can tell you one thing...this attitude isnt going to get you anywhere...seriously...have you met every single person? im guessing not... i pride myself on my loyalty with my gurlfriends, my understanding, my patientce and my willingness to support my parteners no matter what...without sacrificing my morals...or my own sense of being a person..

if you ask me too many people are looking to join with others before they have learnt who they are

thats the real issue
either way good luck on your search
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  >