Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rusty68
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Lost another CatPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I feel for you. I lost one dog several years ago to colon cancer. I kicked myself for quite a while after he passed, because the last time I saw him I was mad at him for making messes in the house. Once he was gone, I realized it was just because he was sick. I have another dog now that has a tumor that's been growing on his nose for _two years_. The last couple of months have been a rollercoaster (2-3 bad days, then a dozen or so good ones). I know his time is almost up (a lot of people would probably say past), but I don't want to ... just give up on him.

Stupid @$#*&^% cancer.
 tjrogelio
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Lost another Cat
Posted: 11/10/2006 9:05:04 PM
Two months ago, my oldest dog, Tosca, died. Just three weeks later, my other dog, Riggs, consumed with the grief of losing his lifelong mate, completely shut down, and he also died.

It's been a rough couple of months.
 Rusty68
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 12/13/2006 2:42:58 PM
After I had my dog put to sleep, I was depressed for a while (which wasn't anything new since I'd known it was coming for so long). Then, one night I woke up to the sound of the doggie door slapping shut. I rolled over and saw our other dog was already laying next to my bed, and it just felt like he had come home. As crazy as it might sound, that was enough to let me start feeling better.
 ManitobaGrrl
Msg: 25
Grief over losing a pet
Posted: 12/13/2006 6:45:15 PM
my cat died over a year ago and I still am getting over the loss, its a hard thing, losing a member of the family
 strangerdanger39
Msg: 26
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 8/14/2011 11:50:40 PM
You know what pisses me off? When people with kids tell me that I have no clue . All my friends have children and I have my dogs. My friends will tell me that the love for a pet doesn't compare to the love for a child- that always makes me angry.

I just found out that both of my 12 year old Westies have some major Kidney and liver issues that are going to affect their lifespan- maybe a year left for both of them.

Guess what my friends said to me? "You can always get another dog"...

I love my dogs more than anything in the world- and there is nothing more frustrating than being told your "love" for those animals isn't important. Kids have never been my thing- but those 2 furry little things that greet me at the door and sleep on my head every night mean everything to me- it sucks to have that emotion minimized.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 27
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 8/15/2011 2:28:55 AM
^My best friend did that - sat with me for afternoon while my cat was lying on a cushion on the table, in terrible pain, and we were waiting for the vet appointment to put her down.
I got my cat Lucky when she was six weeks old and I was still single. She moved about 100 times with me (that's what it felt like!); there were apartments where she couldn't get out unless I opened the window or door and of course I was away most of the time.
I was a terrible owner in some ways, but I loved her and she loved me. We were a duo..
She adjusted when I started to live with my ex..she never liked him though and made it obvious. (I secretly loved her even more for it!)
Then when I had my daughter, she just evolved into the Mother Cat, who would yell at me if I didn't come running every time my daughter cried.
Lucky put up with babies pulling her tail and toddler cuddles and she just was the best cat in the world.
She died about 12 years ago, but I'll always remember her.
 VanessaLookingForFun
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 8/15/2011 3:28:44 AM
strangerdanger39 ...

I'm with you. I just lost my baby girl (an orange tabby, with me for almost 14 years) last Monday afternoon ... It was completely unexpected and happened VERY fast (less than an hour from knowing something was wrong to coming home from the vet without her)! For all intents and purposes ... she was my child and every person that has thrown out that "get another one" ... I just want to smack'em. This was my first weekend without her. I spent the first half drunk/numb and the rest of it feeling profound loneliness.

SO sorry to hear about your babies!
 junipermoon
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 8/15/2011 6:38:15 PM
I just lost my baby girl (an orange tabby, with me for almost 14 years) last Monday afternoon ... It was completely unexpected and happened VERY fast (less than an hour from knowing something was wrong to coming home from the vet without her)! For all intents and purposes ... she was my child and every person that has thrown out that "get another one" ... I just want to smack'em. This was my first weekend without her. I spent the first half drunk/numb and the rest of it feeling profound loneliness.

every time i lose one, i remind myself that i gave them a great little life and made them happy and comfortable. i also try to feel grateful for everything they taught me. i think that, when we learn everything we need to learn and teach everything we need to teach, we all move on.

i lost one 2 years ago and still miss her terribly. i'll probably lose another one before the year's end. my maine coon has a tumor in the bony cavity surrounding a sinus. he doesn't know he's ill, though. so he still raises hell, even though he's 12.

he will leave a huge void when i lose him. and i'd never try to 'replace' him. with cats, i find that one generally shows up when they really need me. and i try to give them the best life i can. we're just their temporary caretakers...or are they ours?
 crazy4mars
Msg: 30
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 8/16/2011 12:16:16 AM
One of my clients said to me her husband once asked her "Will you ever love me as much as you love Rex"? And after the delivery of her baby she said she couldn't wait to get home and be with her fur baby Rex.

A friends friend of mine said that when her huband died she took 3 days off from work but when her dog died she took 2 weeks.

I used to take such pride and joy saying I lived alone until one day I realized that I actually never lived alone but that I had always had animals either they adopted me or I adopted them. When my chow died my canary grieved for a very long week ...not singing and staying in the corner of his cage. 6 months passed and I got another chow ...I had one very happy bird...he had another dog to sing to and climb all over. It was a terrible loss to loose them both. I had been w/o animals recently for 3 months when I decided to adopt a special needs older chow ...he had been severly neglected and multiple health issues. Rescuing him from a high kill shelter...I felt he needed to live out his remaining (hopefully) yrs knowing love and safety.
I'm grateful to have friends and neighbors who offered emotional support when I needed it.
I empathize with everyone who has suffered the loss of a pet.
 Chloeiscool
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Grief over losing a pet
Posted: 8/16/2011 7:49:45 AM
Do you really think that message helps someone who is grieving??I found it VERY insensitive to put it that way. Grieving for true love is a long and painful process and to say' get used to it' is uncaring.
 Chloeiscool
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Grief over losing a pet
Posted: 8/16/2011 8:08:45 AM
My message was meant to go to Sammy Salt!!
Apologies to everyone else.
 FatBottomGirI
Msg: 33
Grief over losing a pet
Posted: 8/16/2011 9:51:16 AM
I am very sorry for your loss. Yes I have lost pets growing up and it always broke my heart. I have 4 cats and one of them is 14 years old. Have had him since he was a tiny kitten. He's starting to show his age although he still plays like a kitten sometimes. I know when I lose it will break my heart. But you can take pride that you treated your beautiful pet with kindness and love. He did not live in fear instead he was surrounded by a loving family. You helped make his life a blessed one and means he passed on with a warm and fuzzy heart.
 Seakytten
Msg: 34
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 8/16/2011 3:30:52 PM
Actually, anyone who told me my feelings for my animal were not worthy of respect and validation would be an acquaintance at best, not a friend.

I totally agree. I've spent 27 years living alone with nothing but my pets and I'll have to say it's been the best years of my life. People that don't own pets just don't get it. Each cat I've owned has brought so much joy and unconditional love into my life I can honestly say I've grieved more for their loss than the loss of any relationship I've ever had. I've always bonded with animals more than people and I used to wonder why. I don't wonder anymore because I've realized it's been MY choice to choose animals over people and when one dies a part of me dies with him or her.

I have 6 cats now ranging from the ages of 1 and 1/2 to 14 years old. I know they'll get sick at some point and die and again, a large part of me will die with them but knowing I've given them the same unconditional love they've given me will get me through it.

Not many people believe in the 'rainbow bridge' and only a pet lover would know what that is. One day, I'll be going over that same bridge and when I do I KNOW I'll be covered in 'furkids' with our reunion. And THAT'S what keeps me going when one of my lovely animals passes on.

The grief will get better when you realize there is always another animal out there just waiting for you to give them a warm, loving home. New pets can never replace your favorite pet but I sincerely believe the spirit of the one that left you can be re-born into the one that comes your way because it happened to me with a lovely cat that I lost back in 1998. He had the strangest behaviour of any cat I had ever known and when he passed I was devastated for YEARS! I won't go into detail but I found his spirit again a few years later in a manx kitten I had adopted and they have the same markings and the EXACT same behaviour. Then I knew. Sometimes when you just can't let go they come back.

I hope this story gives comfort to those whom have recently lost their best friend. :)

Kytten
 wisguyingb
Msg: 35
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 11/15/2011 8:34:01 AM
Yesterday afternoon I lost my cat of 20 years. He became very ill Sunday night. He could not walk well and had an accident in our bed. My girlfriend called me at work and I told her to take him to the basement.

I came home from work at 530am and to my surprise he was still alive and doing fairly well. He was weak but mustered up enough strength to stand on all 4's, look at me and allow me to give him a hug. A hour or so later I found him lying on the concrete near the door. I think he was trying to find me. He was still alive so I placed him on a nice soft blanket and held him and comforted him for awhile. I put him right next to my bed, but I could not sleep. We spent the day together remembering the good times we had together growing up.

Later in the afternoon his condition became bad and I held him and rubbed his little head until he took his final breath. He died in my arms. It was so sad but I know he was very comfortable knowing that I was by his side until the very end. He would meow softly if I went away and when he was back in my arms and lap he would stop meowing and attept to get more comfortable. It was so nice.

I placed him in his little cat bed and spent the night with him in the bedroom as usual.
Today my girlfriend and I had a little funeral service for him and buried him in one of his favorite spots.

I can't believe how sad I am over my little buddy. But we've been together since 1991 or 1992. We grew up together and were together right until the very end.

Miss you and love you little Punky
 trinity818
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 11/15/2011 1:34:46 PM
^^^I'm sorry for your loss.

I lost my 19 year old cat to kidney failure. It was heartbreaking.
 viper1j
Msg: 37
Grief over losing a pet
Posted: 11/16/2011 5:36:38 AM

How have any of you delt with lose of a very special pet?

My dog Princess, died at 20 1/2 years old. She was in my life longer than every girlfriend My wife said the munchkin's first word was "goggy". After her third stroke robbed here of everything that was her, I had the vet give her a shot, and then she was cremated. and today, she sits on the top shelf of my bookcase with a picture next to her.

That was three years ago, and she's still there. It took time, but I'm glad she's still around..
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 38
Grief over losing a pet
Posted: 11/16/2011 1:01:49 PM

I can't believe how sad I am over my little buddy. But we've been together since 1991 or 1992. We grew up together and were together right until the very end.

Miss you and love you little Punky

sorry..i lost my MaryCat last April..adopted her when she was an adult around this time of year & she was w/ me for 11 1/2 yrs...

I was up all night, could not sleep, cried, etc. was ill not hearing a meow in the morning. I realized there were kitties who needed me as much as I needed them...so I went to the shelter down the road, adopted 3 adult rescued cats & less than a month ago adopted #4 who is FIV+

I love them as much as they love me
 want to travel
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 11/16/2011 1:18:56 PM
Sorry for your loss
my cat was with me for 18 years,he will allways be a part of my life....
also working with animals is a great thing, thank goodness for people like you!!!
 wisguyingb
Msg: 40
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 11/16/2011 2:34:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. This is an incredibly had time for me as I have have the cat since he was a new born kitten. Everywhere I look in my house I see him. I just hope that I was able to bring him some comfort on his final day. I really think that he was afraid of what was happening to him as he had gone very blind in the last year and just needed me to hold him in my lap and touch him and talk to him to let him know that I was there for him and he was not alone. At one point it felt as if he was making a very subtle purr. I could not hear it but as I petted him it felt as if he was purring. I know that time will heal my grief but I feel like a part of my childhood and adult life has been taken away from me.I take comfort in the fact that I made a lot of video's of him playing outside and inside and have a lot of pictures of him. So I can always hear him meow and watch him play with his mouse toy or run around in our backyard.
 viper1j
Msg: 41
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 11/16/2011 2:46:56 PM
http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I know Princess is waiting for me..
 wisguyingb
Msg: 42
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 11/16/2011 3:11:36 PM
^^Thank you so much for that. I never heard of Rainbow Bridge before but it does make me feel good about my buddy. I know his soul is in a better place, and I know he is enjoying himself to the fullest.
 SoBayNative
Msg: 43
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 11/16/2011 3:16:45 PM
The thing to remember is that the shelters are overflowing with beautiful animals who will only be put down if no one adopts them. I've lost many pets over the years and I still miss each of them and I swear every time it will be the last then I see an adoption fair and my heart aches for all the sweet animals who have no home. Maybe you can see it in your heart to adopt another cat (or a dog) whose life you'd save. It will never replace the one you lost but like letting a new person in your life, it will be a new and special relationship.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 44
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 11/16/2011 3:49:56 PM
The thing to remember is that the shelters are overflowing with beautiful animals who will only be put down if no one adopts them. I've lost many pets over the years and I still miss each of them and I swear every time it will be the last then I see an adoption fair and my heart aches for all the sweet animals who have no home. Maybe you can see it in your heart to adopt another cat (or a dog) whose life you'd save. It will never replace the one you lost but like letting a new person in your life, it will be a new and special relationship

agreed! I just adopted a 4th kitty- she is FIV+ my other 3 are not...i even have all their pics in my profile...

adopting pets is not just for them, it is good for us too...we get unconditional love

maybe those of us who miss having a partner (myself included) should consider the parallel -see what i put in bold from another poster's post in the quote box...
 femaleconnection
Msg: 45
Greif over losing a pet
Posted: 11/26/2011 3:54:32 AM
Yesterday I found out my female cat has tumors. We will keep her comfy and when she starts to show signs of pain, ie not wanting to eat or be social like normal, we will be saying goodbye to her gentle soul. Im glad I know soon enough to make her last weeks/months special.

She will be my first solely owned pet that I have to say goodbye to. Not looking forward to that part...but having her in my home for the last 12 years was so worth any sadness of losing her.

Im actually more worried about her bro-they were from the same litter and they dont know a day without the other. I hope he doesnt miss her too terribly-he was sat at the door when we came back from the vet-he was waiting for her. Poor old buggar is gonna miss her. She grooms him, she snuggles him everyday for naps, they are inseperable....sigh.
 asianpeachqTea
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Grief over losing a pet
Posted: 2/29/2012 10:46:45 AM
Read Sylvia Brownes Books on Animals, Heaven etc.

I remember my Feather&Fur-Family members who passed.Its a comfort though brings sadness its still a good cheer me upper thinking of them.
Fish turtles included and others
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >