Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gessie
Msg: 337
view profile
History
How many sinle parents have their kid or kids with no help?Page 23 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
Wow I thought I had a rough go with my daughter's Dad being killed when I was 2 months pregnant, my hat off to u girl, you ARE a survivor and an inspiration.All the more power to you angelps.
 enigmamystery
Msg: 340
view profile
History
How many sinle parents have their kid or kids with no help?
Posted: 5/8/2008 8:21:12 AM
I am a single parent that does it on her own. The ex in question is not a part of our lives and nor would I want him to be. I don't like to bash so let's just say it is a way to break the cycle to have him excluded from our lives. My mother lives near me but she has been ill for three years and I help her with her needs as well. With all that goes on, my life is pretty terrific. I have no complaints.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 341
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2008 3:49:04 PM
Single mom of a beautiful 9 year old.. dad died when she was 2 months old. Been doing it on my own since.
 looptex1
Msg: 347
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2008 4:25:56 AM
I am a single father of 4 girls ages 5/7/8 and 15. Mother lives appr. 2 miles away and only comes to see her kids once a week for about 30 mins and sometimes an hour tops.
The courts ordered her to pay 75 a week CS but I have told her I dont want her money but for her to just be a mother to her children.
She has every other weekend visitation from the courts, I have gave her open invitation to come anytime. She still only comes once a week.
But then wonders why the kids don't act like they want to see or talk to her.
They have litterially gotten used to never seeing her and really don't care if they do.
 Lone_Stranger
Msg: 348
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2008 7:53:24 AM
I don't know how some of you single mom's do it.
Raise the kids, work and everything else that goes with it......all with little or no help from the children's father.

I don't respect men that think there getting away with something if they can somehow avoid paying child support and their responsibilties as a father.

I finished raising my kids when my ex could'nt handle them any more (she was'nt easy to live with) .........could'nt believe it though when she wanted me to keep making child support payments to her.......while they were living with me.

But I have nothing but admiration for women that have to do this on their own, I prefer to be with a woman like that.

Just wondering, how many single mothers had support from the community when they had a tough time getting by ?
It's something that I want to do, help single mothers where I live
 vivaciousvixen2
Msg: 365
Posted: 9/1/2008 8:03:00 AM
I have a 5 year old autistic boy and a 2 year old little girl. Both fathers abandoned their children. My son's father wanted us back, but I had found my husband. My husband was crazy abandonded the family. Took a holidayto Canada. Sent me pictures of him having sex with another woman. She wishes my daughter dead. I am taking paternal rights in one month, which means that he is no longer her father and am taking his name off of my daughter's birth certificate! I have had NO HELP. With sperm donors that never grew up, I don't want them with my children.
 janofc
Msg: 373
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:49:16 PM
I can't say I don't have any help because my parents are wonderful. I can say that their father has decided that his new wife is more important than anyone else and he doesn't help. I attempted to call him today to discuss our oldest with her hanging up on me. I then called his parents to discuss the problem with his father, and my ex called to berate me for calling his father. When I attempted to discuss our son I got yelled at for not respecting his new wife. THey called about 4 times and hung up on me when I would not engage in discussing anything but our son.The entire time the only thing he said about our son was he could not make him attend school. I in turn told him he could encourage him to go and stay in touch. He hung up again.

SO I have made all the choices about these children for the last year without his help at all. By choice he only sees them for a few hours every other Saturday if he is not busy. He will not attend any functions they are in because I will be there. So I have no help from my ex. He is a terrible father!
 SteveinHP
Msg: 375
Posted: 9/3/2008 9:03:18 PM
I have a 16 year old daughtet that I have sole custody of, and I feel lucky if I get my 59 bucks a month from her "birth mother"

But I also have my 2 children from divorce, with split custody...this situation is totally different and is a good one.
 CCsMom
Msg: 376
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 12:44:30 PM
I have no help from my daughter's father and he is not in the picture at all. No phone calls, no visits, no baby papa drama. Thank God! I do get child support but so very sporadically its practically non-existant and not a reliable source of income. I also dont have any family that help me either. My mum lives nearby and visits on rare occassions but thats the extent of it. All my other family members live very far away.

But knowing how much I struggle, I created a single parents support group in my community to gain friendship and exchange support. If more people tried to help others, maybe the single parent struggles wouldnt seem so overwhelming.
Posted: 9/8/2008 8:58:42 AM
I CONMEND ANY ONE WHO RAISES THIER CHILDREN ALONE I WASA IN THE SAME SITUATION PICKED A REAL WINNER TO BAD HE WAS HOOKED ON DRUGS GOT PREGGY WITH MY SON AFTER HE WAS BORN HIS DAD HIT HIM AND ABUSED ME SO I LEFT THE TOWN THEN WHEN I CAME BACK HE CAME BACK AROUND PLEDGING HE WAS CHANGED AND WANTED TO BE A FAMILY AND LOW AND BEHOLD HE DID THE SAME THIGN I LEFT HIM AND THEN TWO MONTHS AFTER I LEFT HIM I FOUND OUT I WAS PREGGY FROM HIM AGAIN
WE TRIED TO WORK IT OUT AND IT JUST DIDNT WORK I WENT TO COURT HE DIDNT SHOW THE COURT GAVE ME THE OPTION TO EITHER GET CHLD SUPPORT AND HE HAD MINOR SUPURVISED VISITATION OR NO CHILD SUPPORT AND NO VISITATION I HAD TO DO WHAT WAS BEST AND SAFE FOR MY KIDS SO I CHOSE NO CHILD SUPPORT AND NO VISITATION. ITS VERY HARD DOING IT ALONE WITH TWO SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN BUT I THINK OF IT THIS WAY, I COULD RAISE MY KIDS HAPPY AND SMART OR HAVE LET THEM IN THIER LIFE AND POSSIBLY PUTTING THEIR LIVES IN DANGER. ID RATHER MEET SOMEOEN WHO WILL CARE FOR THEM AND ME THAN GO THROUGH THE PAIN. SO I SAY BRAVO TO ALL THE SINGLE PARENTS WHO DARE TO GO IT ALONE YOU ARE BRAVE AND WONDERFUL.
 fastdad
Msg: 391
Posted: 9/8/2008 7:04:30 PM
My ex is not around. I don't bad mouth my ex in front of my daughter because it causes alot of damage in a childs life on its own with out adding to it. This is called "Parent Alienation Syndrome " It hurts the kids much more than most people realize. It is hard enough on my daugter and every child lacking both parents, as it is without adding more to their confusiion and pain. If you really love your children, then don't try to turn them against there lost or irresponcible mom or dad, they are smart and will figure it out on their own. If they ask then tell them that their mom or dad is going through a bad time and that they are loved. Ask them to keep their parent in their prayers.
The National Brotherhood of Fathers Rights will help both parents to do what is just and fair for everyone, mostly the children. They only help parents to be treated equally and to ensure whats best for the health of the children.
Good Luck.
Msg: 395
Posted: 1/13/2009 11:59:24 AM
Whats interesting to m is the amount of fathers that have the kids now. Use to be rare to be exact it was 4% of the time when I got my kids. Now it is so very common anyone know why? Today it is 14% to make matters worse seems like I can't find a good life partner. I think that I've only gotton a response at an average of 1 a week. I'm not sure if it's that or I'm just ugly but either way. Probably just a bad picture but do women really avoid a single father?
 2boysandme
Msg: 399
Posted: 1/15/2009 11:27:08 AM
My boys are 6 and 9 and I have been on my own since my youngest was 3 months old(my choice to leave.) I did get support for the first year and a half I think but nothing since then. My ex did start out taking them Sunday afternoon's and that lasted for a bit but in the last year my boys have seen him 4 times!! I do not go after him for support or to see them more. That is what he has choosen and it will come back to haunt him later. I figure what goes around comes around. He does not work or show any interest in their lives so I figure they are better off without him. I have never denied the children from seeing him when he does call but he has no say in anything that they do which is nice.
We do great, I work fulltime, have my own house, car etc so we do just fine without him and I am so much happier. Things are much easier now that the boys are getting older so I have never regretted my decision to leave even once.
 KyeWash
Msg: 405
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 8:43:02 AM
I'm a single father of 3 boys age 15yrs, 13yrs and 10yrs old and get no help from there mother either. She calls when she wants, never on a regular base. She doesn't even know when her son graduates from middle school. She fought me in court over 2yrs ago and lost. I just don't understand how you can give birth to 3 beautiful kids and don't play any part of there lives. Please help me to understand?
 hungry_joe
Msg: 410
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 5:21:45 PM
Single Dad nuff said there. But to add insult to injury I pay her, yet Im the primary custodial parent. Figure that one out ladies. And yes I have my son everday.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 411
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 7:59:20 PM
A few hours. blah blah blah blah. It wouldn't allow a simple response.
 heterotic
Msg: 413
Posted: 7/6/2009 1:50:19 AM
Pretty sure that posting contact informatin is against forum rules, and opening yourself up to stalkers r us and telemarketers.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 415
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 2:19:20 PM

Wow, so you two each have custody part of every day?

It works like this Monday through Thursday I get our son from 4pm when I leave work until our exchange at 8pm which is his bed-time. He wakes up at her house about 7am and goes to daycare around 9am. Friday through Sunday it works like this:
Friday 4pm until Sunday on a agreed upon time; after 3pm usally around the normal 8pm. Mostly because of her work.
Thanksgiving I get odd years
Christmas I get even years
Fathers day and my birthday he stay's with me. I'm usally off, I was born on Veterans day.
And whenever both parents can agree.
She gets the maximum amount of support out of me.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 419
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2009 3:02:59 AM
She gets state assistance, for daycare. That is the general schedule, but I often have him later now. I also sometimes watch his half sister.
 heterotic
Msg: 420
Posted: 7/7/2009 8:08:07 AM
Who do so many people in this forum only consider monetary support help?
 hungry_joe
Msg: 422
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2009 1:54:13 PM

Who do so many people in this forum only consider monetary support help?

Good point, if you take money out of it my ex and I support each other, however, I feel I do more of the heavy lifting.
 heterotic
Msg: 424
Posted: 7/7/2009 11:16:53 PM

Good point, if you take money out of it my ex and I support each other, however, I feel I do more of the heavy lifting.

I don't just mean from the other parent, but from family and friends.

If I were to say "I do this with no help", I feel like I would be spitting in the faces of those with shoulders that I've stained with tears, the emotional support I get personally by being welcomed into a family I am not married into, though they treat me like I am, and all of those who have given gifts or come over with their kids to play or invited me into their homes.

I may have never needed any money from anyone, but I can guarantee you they would offer it if I ever did. That to me is very helpful, because I know that if I ever fell, one of these amazing people would be there to soften the land, or at least be there to pick up the pieces with me.

Help comes in many forms, and gratitude should be shown for anything someone does to touch your life.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 434
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2009 8:48:18 PM
I had no assistance or involvement from her father, however I can't say I didn't have help.

My mum was a wonderful help and they have a cool relationship as a result of all of the time they spent together. Her hockey coaches, wonderful volunteers all, gave her great male role models, taught her to shrug off penalties, take losses in life in stride, and be gracious in victory. More importantly, they showed her men are people and not some strange, separate species. She had some teachers, both male and female, in her early years who took special notice of her and a few who went above and beyond. Some of my friends and other members of my family developed their own relationship with her at some critical phases. And now my sweetie, coming into her life during the difficult teen years, has given her support to balance against as she figures life out.

A village raised my child, and I am thankful for each and every one of them.
 TROUBLE135
Msg: 438
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2009 9:33:52 PM
THERE ARE MORE "REAL" PARENTS OUT THERE RAISING THEIR CHILDREN OWN THEIR OWN THAN YOU WOULD EVER BELIEVE. MALE AND FEMALE.
I HAVE RAISED TWO [ 25 AND 21 YRS.] WITHOUT HELP FROM THEIR SPERM-DONOR [DON'T BE OFFENDED, REMEMBER I KNOW REAL MEN WHO ARE REAL
FATHERS TOO] [ OR SHOULD I SAY THAT ARE REAL DADDY'S ]. IT WAS STRANGE I HAD HELP FROM MY FAMILY AND EVENTUALLY FROM THE CHILDRENS STEP-MOTHERS FAMILY. BUT NOT FROM HIM OR HIS. THEN
16YRS. LATER I MARRY AGAIN. HAVE ANOTHER CHILD AND THEN THIS
MAN LITERALLY "WALKS" AWAY FROM US BOTH. HE HAS HAD NO CONTACT WITH THIS CHILD FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS.....NOR HAS ANY OF HIS FAMILY. I DON'T GET IT ! HOW CAN PEOPLE BE LIKE THAT...... TO PEOPLE
THAT THEY LOVE MUCHLESS TO HELPLESS CHILDREN ? I DON'T GET IT.

BUT THE ONES THAT STAY BEHIND AND ARE THERE FOR THE CHILDREN
[ RELATED OR NOT ] THEY ARE THE "REAL PARENTS AND FAMILY ".
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >