Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Neonmitch
Msg: 113
Why Women Prefer Taller Men - The definitive answerPage 5 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
To snoggable: this is a discussion, not a place to strut your stuff and tell us how great you are.
To the OP: great work! Most people in this thread ( esp the women) can't seem to appreciate a well-argued thesis anymore, nor the time you invested into it. It seems that sarcasm and cheap one-liners are more popular than intelligence!

Other than that I have no real comment...I'm average height and find I appeal to some women and not to others. However, tall girls generally seem to like taller men and vice versa, so perhaps it's simply an ergonomics thing.
 IdoAllmyOwnStunts
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Why Women Prefer Taller Men - The definitive answer
Posted: 9/24/2006 4:11:17 PM
dont forget the bigger they are... the BIGGER they ARE~
 Neonmitch
Msg: 120
Posted: 9/24/2006 6:04:26 PM
OMG not the dreaded size thing again...where are the trolls when you need them?
 studplayrico
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2006 11:41:03 PM
I'm short 5'8" i don't seem to be crying around about it. So what if i am, CONFIDENCE is the ultimate aphrodisiac. If your short WORKOUT and compensate. We are not going to grow by complining about it. I've been with taller women. Here's another point most of the Martial were made for the short poeple to know how to compensate or hoe to fold a taller man. examples
Jiu Jitsu, Judo Kadokan, Russian Sambo, Aikido etc. Anymore examples Ok. fighters like Mike Tyson, Rocky Marciano, Wilfredo Gomez, Bruce Lee, and Matt hughes are short!!!! How's that for protection. Bruce Lee ,quoted that being tall would be esier to get defeated by the striking of their long extremities. So why cry about being short?
 studplayrico
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2006 11:41:17 PM
I'm short 5'8" i don't seem to be crying around about it. So what if i am, CONFIDENCE is the ultimate aphrodisiac. If your short WORKOUT and compensate. We are not going to grow by complining about it. I've been with taller women. Here's another point most of the Martial were made for the short poeple to know how to compensate or hoe to fold a taller man. examples
Jiu Jitsu, Judo Kadokan, Russian Sambo, Aikido etc. Anymore examples Ok. fighters like Mike Tyson, Rocky Marciano, Wilfredo Gomez, Bruce Lee, and Matt hughes are short!!!! How's that for protection. Bruce Lee ,quoted that being tall would be esier to get defeated by the striking of their long extremities. So why cry about being short?
 tallshyman
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 12:43:11 PM
Most women seem to like short fat guys and I see alot cute women with short fat guys.
Im 6'5" tall 200 pounds and a 36" waist and cant find a woman.

Tall men live longer and are in better shape so why do short fat guys get all the women?
 startle
Msg: 142
Posted: 8/1/2008 9:51:56 PM
i have no preference. i judge based on alot of qualities. a short guy if he is cute can turn me on just as easily as a tall one. anyway i like variety. everyone gets an even shake in my world.
 chuckyB51
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 6:33:31 PM

The only thing that ticks me off on the whole height thing is that women act like high heels are an appendage, ie "I'm 5'6 and I like to wear four inch heels so that makes me 5'10 and then I need the man to be four inches taller still, so at least 6'2 for me, sorry thats just my preference". Ok, thats certainly her right, but it sounds like pretty stupid logic to me.

Maybe men should take back the high heel since it was originally invented by men for men. High heels originated in France as male footwear around 1500. Raised heels are stated to have been a response to the problem of the horseback rider's foot slipping forward in stirrups while riding. The "rider's heel," was approximately 1-1/2" high. The simple riding heel gave way to a more stylized heel over its first three decades.

Beginning with the French, heel heights among men crept up, often becoming higher and thinner, until they were no longer useful while riding, but were relegated to "court-only" wear. By the late 1600s men's heels were commonly between three and four inches in height.

Not until 1533 did women start wearing heels. High-heeled shoes quickly caught on with the fashion-conscious men and women of the French court, and spread to pockets of nobility in other countries. The term "well-heeled" became synonymous with opulent wealth.Both men and women continued wearing heels as a matter of noble fashion throughout the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. When the French Revolution drew near, in the late 1700s, the practice of wearing heels fell into decline in France due to its associations with wealth and aristocracy. Throughout most of the 1800s, flat shoes and sandals were usual for both sexes, but the heel resurfaced in fashion during the late 1800s, almost exclusively among women.

(source wikipedia)
 chuckyB51
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 7:10:51 PM
^^^^^

Also, since this is in the sex and sexuality section I should have referenced this and said that I am a shorter than average heterosexual male. So this post is based completely on men being taller.
 grapevine
Msg: 154
Posted: 8/3/2008 6:40:56 PM
Well, I may be an exception...while I do prefer a man who's taller than me, I think "taller men " in this case refers to men who are considered tall. Like well over 6 feet, perhaps?

Perfect height as far as I'm concerned is 6'0 to 6'1. That way I don't get neck strain reaching up to kiss him!

(I do remember me and my girlfriends (you know, during our prepubescent days) used to think that your mate had to be the same height as you, so you'd match up sexually. LOL)
 cw35
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2008 8:07:50 PM
Why does some moron always have to start up yet another thread to make an excuse to bash shorter men? I don't see "fat women" or "women with no chest" threads starting up every 3 seconds. It's funny how he starts the thread and then disappears from POF. Seriously, can we focus on something that actually matters in a relationship? It's pretty cut and dry in my eyes. Anyone who dismisses a possible romantic interest based on height or chest size is a piece of garbage who doesn't care about the actual person and will never know what it's like to care about someone in a deeper way so don't even waste a moment of time even talking to these people because they are worth nobody's time. PERIOD. People can kick and scream about preferences or all the insecure women worried about what shoes they can wear (since shoes are SO much more important than a real loving relationship) all they want but that doesn't hide the ugly truth about the type of person you are if somebody is right for you yet you would dismiss them for a physical trait that doesn't really have anything to do with real attractiveness.
 cw35
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2008 8:18:47 PM
I don't care what the op's intention was, everyone knows when they start these types of thread where it ends up. Not to mention that his "logical" explaination has a lot of stereotypes with no real proof and is extremely ignorant and offensive in a lot of ways.
 chuckyB51
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2008 11:16:33 PM
At this point I am glad that I am not a tall guy. Watch out tall guys as these women are with you just because you are tall. Ask the girl when you start a relationship, "if a was [insert inches here] shorter would you still want to be with me?" Since I am on the shorter side I figure that I don't have to deal with all these superficial women. Watch your backs tall guys.
 cw35
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 8:36:03 AM
Since you are only 5'7" I'm assuming you're talking about dating men under 5'0". Why would you feel you have to challenge someone to a "contest"? Do you like pretending to be the man in a relationship or something? You seem ignorant and judgemental to me. It must be nice being so perfect. They should change the name of POF to "Delusions of Grandeur Dating Service".
 chuckyB51
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2008 12:33:30 PM

I've always looked at height & men as the same thing as women & weight - or the closest thing too it.

Women who are overweight are considered the least desirable female mates by most people in society, and men who are under-height are considered the least desirable male mates.

Of course there's differences as the original poster mentioned (ie - someone can workout/diet to loose SOME weight, there's nothing you can do for height). But the biggest difference is how socially acceptable it is to discuss a man's height vs a women's weight.

I'm sure there's some pigs on here who put "I don't date fat chicks" on their profiles, but you definitely don't see it as much as how much women put "I don't date short men" on their profiles. You would hope, that since most women have body-image issues that they would be more empathetic and not be so superficial when it comes to height in men, but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.

And, although it goes against the stereotype of men being more superficial - I see more couples where the woman is heavier than the man, versus seeing a woman with a shorter guy (which I almost never see).

As for the idea that preferences are "hardwired" and there's nothing we can do about it - most of what we learn about dating comes from being socialized, not genetics (after all, genetically, we're not supposed to be monogamous, but most people are). I myself never used to be attracted to women different from my own background, because that's how I was socialized growing up - now I find all women attractive. I mean really - if you still find the same people attractive as an adult as you did when you were 14 - isn't that a little boring?

You've hit the nail on the head. The question needs to be asked here...Have women become more superficial then men? How often do you see a couple with the man being shorter than the woman and then how often do you see a fat woman with a skinnier guy?
 tallshyman
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2008 7:23:29 PM
some women seem scared of me being 6'5 Im not going to hurt anyone !!!
 chuckyB51
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2008 10:43:03 PM
So what I am reading here is that women need an outside factor to feel feminine and that femininity does not come from within. We can also see here that attraction is some mythical power that women have no mental control over.
 cw35
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 6:14:14 AM
chucky: Exactly. From the posts in all these height threads, it's obvious that women who are insecure and self concious have problems being with a shorter guy. The same tired excuses can be repeated to infinity....and they always seem to be in these stupid threads....but it doesn't change the reality. It's a good thing that these women avoid shorter guys because I don't find those traits particularly sttractive in a woman so it seems to work out fine. Personally, I find women equally attractive physically no matter if they're 6'10" tall or a dwarf if I really like the person.... but I guess that's just me. I guess it's a good thing that women judge a potential mate based on emotional connection not looks (like us horrible men do). Right. That's the biggest load of crap and it's said all the time. I think women wish it were true so they seemed deeper but sadly this is NOT the case.
 celts123
Msg: 180
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:03:07 AM
There are plenty of possible reasons.

1. Some women are more physically attracted to taller men.
2. Some women are insecure about their height. They need a taller man to feel more "feminine".
3. False stereotypes and generalizations such as "taller men can protect a woman" better or short men have "Napoleon Complex"
 cw35
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 6:52:21 AM
Flowers: I don't have to speak for anyone because there are usually only a few posts in these ridiculous short bashing threads that don't (in some way) insult shorter people or make fun of them. The trouble is that the tall people are so smug and ignorant of the problem that most of them don't even realize how insulting their "opinions" are. I also don't care if my argument changes anyone's mind. There's no way it ever could but that doesn't mean I'm not going to strike back at ideas and comments that I hate. You say people have "preferences" but when it comes to height, it's rarely a preference. It's a REQUIREMENT. I think that's the problem people have with it. Obviously the people that have this requirement feel somewhat guilty about thinking the way they do because it keeps getting called a "preference". Comparing height with weight is the biggest insult of all time since it implies that short people are unhealthy and aren't taking care of themselves which is why they are undesireable. Is anything lower than trying to justify your own prejudice by blaming the people you're prejudice against and insulting them at the same time? I don't think so. Anyone that REQUIRES a certain height will never have my respect as a human being period. I have no time for people like that in my world.
 duckling
Msg: 188
Posted: 9/11/2008 7:20:34 AM
I'm only 5'4", but I've done everything I can to convert the mind-set "one woman at a time"!
 zabet
Msg: 190
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 7:35:05 AM
I haven't read through all of the posts here, so maybe somebody has already said this. I am 5'5", but I have long legs. Women's legs, proportionate to height, tend to be longer than men's. So when I'm joined at the hip, to put it delicately, with a man my height or shorter, his feet hit my shins. I'm not sure why this doesn't appeal to me, maybe it reminds me of the times when the kids would sleep into bed with us because they were having a bad dream.
 zabet
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 7:38:07 AM
typo fixed:
I haven't read through all of the posts here, so maybe somebody has already said this. I am 5'5", but I have long legs. Women's legs, proportionate to height, tend to be longer than men's. So when I'm joined at the hip, to put it delicately, with a man my height or shorter, his feet hit my shins. I'm not sure why this doesn't appeal to me, maybe it reminds me of the times when the kids would slip into bed with us because they were having a bad dream.
 cw35
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 8:07:08 AM
That's not usually true from my experience. That would mean the woman would look like a crane which I rarely see.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >