Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LightedJourney
Msg: 233
FWB versus relationship. What's the difference?Page 11 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
If you tell the guy you are dating that you r beginning to develop feelings & he responds by "I still want to play the field" then one would assume that you are now in a FWB situation.......... am i corrrect??
 tnt144
Msg: 234
FWB versus relationship. What's the difference?
Posted: 2/7/2013 12:34:40 PM
As to the original post, the problem is, that in one of those two types of relationships, there is at least one control freak. And control freaks are not good relationship material for the long term. Or, it's a half-baked relationship of convenience where at least one person is not in love. The relationship is destined to fail, and somebody has a high chance of getting rejected and burned - badly.

Long term, for the best chance at success, you want a relationship where both people are way too much in love and easy to get along with. Anything less and you are playing with fire.
 OutMind
Msg: 235
Posted: 2/7/2013 12:35:22 PM

and have sex until someone better comes along that I want to have a relationship with?

Yeap
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 236
Posted: 2/7/2013 12:50:30 PM
251: If you tell the guy you are dating that you r beginning to develop feelings & he responds by "I still want to play the field" then one would assume that you are now in a FWB situation.......... am i corrrect??

Not necessarily. It could mean they go separate ways. It could mean the “developing feelings’ party decides to play the field too.

It could be that the dating couple aren’t even having sex. That would be Friends without Benefits. It could be their relationship isn’t rooted in friendship. That would be Not Friends With or Without Benefits. In either case, FWB wouldn’t accurately describe their relationship.

You have identified the one characteristic we know about FWB, however. Feelings are never reciprocal, something always goes wrong, it always ends badly, somebody loses an eye. The best way to avoid pain and heartbreak is to get married. I wouldn’t lie about something like this on the internet.
 abmccray
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2013 1:07:18 PM

You have identified the one characteristic we know about FWB, however. Feelings are never reciprocal, something always goes wrong, it always ends badly, somebody loses an eye. The best way to avoid pain and heartbreak is to get married.

I'm guessing your joking about this, but in case you aren't or someone else doesn't read is as such, all of the above is completely wrong.

The difference between a working FWB OR f***buddy situation (two different things, which people in this thread that don't read are equating with each other), is that they work out fine if both parties are honest, forthcoming, and aren't doing the situation with an agenda. If that's the case, then either situation normally works out fine for as long as it works out, and doesn't end badly. Things end badly when one person is dishonest about their true goals/feelings/etc., but then again, that's no different than any other situation.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 238
Posted: 12/20/2014 10:46:57 PM
And here is the dumb thread for FWB

cindersella37
Is there a difference between friends with benefits and having a relationship?

My definition of a friend is someone you enjoy spending time with, talking to, hanging out with, someone you can call when you need help or advice, etc. Basically you have developed a platonic relationship with this person then at some point you may add the benefits of having sex with this person. How is this different from a romantic relationship? A romantic relationship basically starts out the same way: meet, hang out, get to know the person, become sexually involved.

Is FWB just a way of saying we can hang out and have sex until someone better comes along that I want to have a relationship with?

Just curious what others think.

Popular topic?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >