Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 VenusandAdonis
Msg: 36
Predjudice against hiring the 'mature' person Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Wow..That’s phenomenal..actually, it's wonderful, deer_rancher! Sometimes senior has its senior moments like a senior executive doesn't mean senior as in senior citizen..(lol)
Well, my experience..as a long time (child educator)and recently changing fields to a care giver..(Healthcare)..I know I have never experienced prejudice (ageism) in the work plc..I love working with younger ppl..They are so accepting, and their energy is contagious..
I am a little uneasy with the competition, and career change at my age..But my age discrimination has little reflection on that.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Predjudice against hiring the 'mature' person
Posted: 11/29/2012 9:04:36 AM
Your right Venus , sometimes senior doesn't mean senior at all

The Owner is targeting older, seasoned, more experienced personal
And I liked the way it made me feel
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2012 11:21:05 AM
I am older and disabled myself, but I started my own company -- as a tax professional.

I plan to hire 4 part time, disabled. mature and experienced tax preparers this January. Most people on disability can only work a couple of days a week, and earn limited income per month.

Most income tax preparation agencies hire people for about $8.50 an hour, but then give them a large bonus at the end of the season. This creates a bad situation for a disabled person with those kind of work/pay restraints. Plus they are often passed over by employers because they can't work every day during the busy season.

I have 2 desks available so they would alternate days, make a decent salary the whole time they worked, but get a SMALLER bonus in May (after stragglers pay their tax prep fees). That way they could average out their pay and not have to work too many hours in one week.

Since I do other types of tax work, I would like to keep 2 of the employees year round.

I feel that I could "give back to the community" by hiring the handicapped. I would also be able tomeet the needs of my clients without going over my own earnings limit in any month.

I could also help myself by growing he business large enough to sell for a good profit later when I am too old to work.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2012 11:46:55 AM
Some of us were just speaking about it. It does happen with politicians....they all want "young stuff"......
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/30/2012 12:31:06 PM
LuuLuu - you ROCK! I hope your business is a huge success!
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2012 1:29:15 PM
Thanks, SSC!!! You, too! I often enjoy your posts.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/1/2012 5:49:02 PM
Age discrimination doesn't exist - just ask my ex and her father. It made more sense to them that I just got lazy. Oh, and he also says of clinically depressed people that "everyone gets sad."
 jojoaus
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2012 11:08:34 PM
I guess I qualify as 'mature' these days, although my daughter might disagree! I work in a day care centre that has been long established in the area. We have such a great mix of old and young. Some of the women have been there since the place opened and I can honestly say that they seem so open to new ideas that it impresses the heck out of me. In such a setting, it is very reassuring for parents to see not just the bright young things (who often do not have children) but the more motherly and grand-motherly face!

My SO walked out of his job last July taking with him over 20 years of expertise in a field which is so narrow as to be almost invisible. He applied for a couple of jobs but really, none took his fancy and realistically, at 57 as he was then, there was a huge risk of him not being hired. We sat down and chatted and came to the conclusion that he was probably better off becoming a consultant, and now most of his work is done for his previous company at a higher salary without the 4+ hour commute each day. He is respected in his field like many other posters here, and people can and do pay for expertise.

I dont know if Bunnings is an entity in the US, but here it is a huge DIY and garden centre chain. They actively seek out older workers, knowing that they USUALLY bring both a wealth of experience and a serious work ethic to the table. I like being served by lumpy bumpy real people who can relate to what I need!!

Ageism is not just a scourge but it is self-defeating in many respects. IMO at least.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/2/2012 10:22:20 AM
For some job an older person with more exp would do good. But for some other jobs its better to hire a younger person. Owner/manager needs to hire the person that would bring the most for the company. Like it or not in general many older people slow down and get more set in there own way. As for work ethics they are there with the person young or old.. That older person with great work ethics who is honest and works hard. Was same when he was younger. That young kid who is lazy and shows up late.. Would be the same way when he is 50. There are plenty of smart and hard working young folks... I see and deal with plenty of stupid old people and some who are not so old..
When someone hires he need to pick and choose who would bring the most for the company and the position to be filled. Its not always that old person who would be the best for the job. Sometimes a person can be over qualified as they develop there own way of doing things.
I went to buy my parents a T.V last year, There was an older gentelman who helped me out. He impressed me so much with his personalty how he treated me and when I seen him treat other clients at the place. After I got the T.V and loaded it in my van. I went to the main office asked to see the maneger. I have told them how impressed I were with the service I got an that they had one of the best people working for them. Very few people impress me ever, Even a little bit. That older gentelman did follow me to my van saying that his maneger was impressed as its the first time ever someone complimented anyone. Its were always complients he heard.. People like him are rare and I would hire him in a blink of an eye. Actualy I did consider that and still do if I need to hire someone..
 KAKI3152
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2012 10:50:17 AM
I hate to say this but the only thing that keeps me sleeping at nights is the knowledge that my 401K/small pension remains untouched. After working in Aerospace for 23 years, I was released three years ago at age 54. Since then, the extended unemployment, along with part time work (and savings) have prevented me from touching my funds. The only concession, so to speak, is that I'm using an IRA fund to pay for my health insurance.
I've noticed that the economy is starting to pick up in my neck of the woods, though I'm loath to go into Aerospace again (did I mention I hated my job).
Hopefully things will pick up, but the "high" salaries of yesteryear will remain a memory.
 activemelaney
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2012 9:31:21 AM
A strategy for getting hired as a mature person (50 plus) is to apply for part time positions you are interested in and let them know that you are flexible in schedule, taking on more hours as needed, filling in for vacation, etc. Many employers really like having a competent, dependable back up person.

Once you are 'in the door' it's up to you to prove your worth. You have positioned yourself for a full time position (if that's your goal) when one comes up. It's also easier to get a job offer from another employer when employed if the experience in your field is current.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/3/2012 1:15:36 PM
I found that there is a certain age barrier out there mostly because they can hire a 20 something straight from college a lot cheaper than someone like me who has 30 years of business experience. They don't care if those kids stay or not, all they care about it is paying as little in benefits and salary as possible. (It is short sighted on their part, because with the recruiting and training expenses, they spend a fortune on flinging poo at the wall hoping some of it will stick.)

I have to admit, also, I have a certain barrier on my part working for a company that has a revolving door on the HR office or working for a 20-something that comes to work pierced, tattooed and hungover/stoned on a regular basis. Work ethic among the younger generation leaves a lot to be desired so rather than continue to subject myself to that nonsense, I went back to school, got my degree and my real estate license and now I work for myself. Yes, I have a broker, but it is my business and I sink or swim on my own merit. Infinitely rewarding and satisfying to be self-sufficient, though I do have to be self-motivated and pay my own benefits and expenses.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2012 3:33:45 PM
I am leaning more and more to being a "consultant", or a "casual" part time employee somewhere when I retire from full time employment -- at least until my social security benefits kick in. I'm not high maintenance...I'll be able to live on the $, and I won't have to go through the drama (hopefully), of being interviewed by someone younger than my child who knows everything because the world only began the day he or she was born.
 timeforall
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/4/2012 7:45:18 AM
It is difficult to find competent people with good attitudes, young or old. Anybody willing to work with competence, intelligence and the right attitude should always be able to find a job consistent with their skills regardless of age.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/4/2012 8:32:31 AM
^^^^^^ I agree 110%, Way too many old people don't have good work ethics. I bet thats how they were younger as well. Deep down inside people don't change. That stupid kid would grow up to be that stupid old man/woman.
 professora
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Predjudice -'mature' person
Posted: 7/17/2015 7:30:59 PM
I was working at a University and my director told me she had arranged for me to "retire" (more ugly but boring details to the story).

To get to the end of this story: I made a complaint at the EEOC (equal employment opportunity commission) and she was let go.

Before the college let her go, she bullied me with curse words, took my books from my desk, interrupted my lectures, & more. I was blessed to find another teaching position & resigned in two weeks.

It's tough to be "mature" but finding work so far has been doable.

I am wondering what other older workers do? I LOVE working and plan to remain employed :)
 Qura
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Predjudice -'mature' person
Posted: 7/18/2015 9:58:22 AM
I love my job--it's not even like work. I'm now a high school special ed teacher--after a long career teaching another subject at college/h.s. levels.

I plan to teach as long as I can--it's got all the rewards of volunteer work but you get paid, and the "downside" of teaching is so minimal (in my opinion and experience).

Except for one thing, of course. Living in WI, it has been very, very difficult lately--I'm honestly a lot more worried about my students than I am about me. It's no secret that Walker and his Koch masters want a society in which money rules all--that hard work *won't* matter (doesn't matter) unless it makes $$$$ for others. The "savings" in property tax "relief" are a joke compared to the actual social damage we are doing. I just hope enough people realize how insane this trajectory is. The brain-drain from WI was bad enough (lots of people leave for better climates), but the pace has accelerated like climate change over the past couple of years, with even great professors (big money makers--in science, for example) leaving b/c they can't risk keeping their kids in public schools and will not endorse the public/private dichotomy being thrust upon them. I just hope that I can finish out my career before the changes make my life too miserable.

I have experienced age discrimination (and sex discrimination) and it's never fun. It's out there--there is no doubt. But fortunately, it hasn't kept me from doing what I want to do. I'm extraordinarily persistent, however, and while that trait has its downside, it has served me well in this regard.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2015 6:30:39 PM
Being hired for your looks is hardly a new phenomenon. If someone has just average skills and there are many many going for the same job, the best looking one will get it when men are in charge. These hotties are often sexually harassed of course and managers get off on their power to hire and fire. I got a job once in my youth where the manager chose me because I had the biggest boobs, he told me..... many stories like that in my youth. It is interesting that as women reach middle age and menopause the difficulty in getting work corresponds with the lack of sexual appeal and loss of youth. Banks, supermarkets etc., do hire older women and probably some other big institutions
but they seem to be part time only. Call centres and cold calling work is about all that is available to many older people, both sexes.

I do notice that in USA that is not so much the case and many older women are in all sorts of occupations compared to Australia. I was let go in a cost cutting scheme for a large Telco company I worked for as I was the older one and they kept the young blood that had been hired the same time as me.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/19/2015 12:20:16 AM
Zippylarue- Your friend needs to go online and look up some examples of good resumes and cover letters.
Once he finds some examples he likes, all he has to do is fill in his information based on the example,
Once he is done, he should print several resumes with cover letters.
He should make sure they are saved and then he needs to join job search sites and send his resume and cover letter to as many jobs as he sees matches.
He should tell family and friend's that he is looking and ask him to call him if they hear anything,
He should dedicate at least one day a week to doing nothing but going out with his resume and cover letter and apply to as many jobs as he can.
He should consider at part time job, those could lead to full time and if not, as long as he stays six months, he know has a reference that could lead to a full time job.
A job search should be a take no prisoners, try it all approach.
THAT is how you wind up getting a job.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/19/2015 5:49:06 AM
Thailand is interesting in that they don't have any laws that I know about concerning hiring discrimination.

So I see ads about wanting a pretty young woman, or wanting a man only, or a certain age range.

Maybe there is a law, if so, no one pays any heed to it.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2015 11:01:24 PM
This political correctness has gone too far. Employers will hire who they want, at the end of the day. Sexism or ageism is very hard to prove.

Those that send in resumes and not of the right age or whatever, are wasting their time and their applications are just thrown away and often without any acknowledgement of same. Pretending that there is equal opportunity employment is just a farce. At least the Thais are being honest and no one has any false hopes and time is not wasted weeding out the unsuitables.
 Seki1949
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2015 4:06:04 AM
If you are currently unemployed, it is very hard to get hired past a certain age without inside contacts in a professional capacity, Particularly you older 'tech' guys, the 'employment death age' starts in the early 50's and as you approach 60 you will never be re-employed in tech. If the person interviewing you looks to be 12, you are dead meat.

I say this based on personal experience (which means nothing in some respects) and on my current employment. The first six months of my current position I directly took employment and income information for people applying for Obama Care. The number of older individuals and couples in their early 60's who were forced to take social security at the first possible date (with lower monthly payouts forever) was staggering. There are many formerly professional couples living on $1400 a month until death. Many others in their 50's are trying to hang on to the earliest possible SS start date by unemployment benefits, cleaning out their 401 K's, and selling the house. Many of these will not make it to 62 without grinding poverty they are not prepared for.

I got 'expelled' at 55 after 25 years of corporateland. I survived by utilizing my outside contacts, some unique skills, and the attitude toward income of 'anything, anytime, and anywhere'. Interestingly part of the reason I got 'expelled' was my many outside contacts and my unique skills; corporateville frowns on anyone with any signs of independence.

What to do based on my experience? Number One: Cash is King past 50! You really cannot afford that fancy vacation, new expensive toy, or that remodel of your house. You really cannot afford to put your children through more than 4-5 years of college education. You think you can, but you really can't. Debt is Slavery and Life Destroying.

Second, look for government positions filled by competitive testing. Local, state, or federal governments; often you can be effectively hired before they even see your face. You will need to be willing to move to where the jobs are; usually this means near the state capital or near the larger cities in your area. In my case, the interviews that I had for government jobs were more to determine if I would be placed as a manager (or senior tech) or as an entry level line position. Essentially I was already hired, I was just being placed. This is where your good interview skills will make or break you. Personally I think the impact of resumes for our age group is vastly overrated. Resumes need basic competence which as an older professional is given.

The US Census and my state exchange for Obama Care have saved my neck. By the way, I can't afford personal political beliefs and you can't either.

Best to All!
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2015 7:13:56 AM
I retired from my full time job in 2014. I've had a part time job since 2002, which I still have. For a year and a half, I have been unsuccessfully looking for a part time office job. I don't need to make a lot of money, and I don't want benefits. Just a little extra $ cushion. So far, I've only worked temp assignments here and there. I'm getting tired of all the applications and interviews. Going to take my pension check, and Social Security check and ride off into the sunset.
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/2/2015 12:59:37 AM
I just graduated in December with a Masters, I havent worked since 2002 --I had cancer and then after recovery I went back to college-it was difficult I had severe PCCI (some call it chemo brain) but I realized my choice was being poor forever on disability or doing something to better myself. I started applying for jobs in 2013 and most of the time I get nothing-but the automatic acknowledgement letter that they received my application and will be in touch with me if they feel it's a match. I have lost count of how many different positions I have applied for.

I guess in some ways I should be upset or frustrated or down but I'm not -- yea it hasn't been perfect and it hasn't been easy but at the same time I know that one day I'll get that chance and I think Im worth not giving up--so Im looking at all the different avenues, thinking maybe part-time to supplement my disability, playing the lotto (snicker), marrying rich (bigger snicker), or maybe starting my own company.

The one thing I have noticed is the *whine that many folks my age have, if they didn't get the position it must be age discrimination but when you ask them questions about things you find several common themes. One of the guys I went to high school with worked for one company for 20 years, he was let go and they hired two guys straight out of college--when I pushed for more info (I was pissed off for him) the truth came out that the two guys knew a software he didn't and the firm had been converting to that software and he never bothered to learn it. So basically he was demanding they pay him twice as much for having outdated software knowledge>< ...those are the two biggest factors for most hiring decisions--salary and technology knowledge.

Older people have to stop demanding more than what younger less experience people are getting especially when they don't have the technology they need to continue to be profitable for the company. Learn the technology, the software and you will then be one they count on since you have the experience.
 07songsungblue
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/2/2015 6:38:06 AM
^^ welcome back Giggles. :-)

I just hired a new receptionist. Now I know this is not something huge nor did the position require a degree but the process was similar. The previous receptionist was taking a position within the firm as a legal assistant, a junior. We had a friend of someone in the office do temp work when our receptionist was away on vacation and this temp is my age. I heard after I hired the new receptionist that the temp would have wanted the job. I didn't even consider the temp because she had told me prior that her and hubby travel a lot, a lot, so I'd just end up finding someone to cover for her. Also, she said her husband was retiring in a year and they would be doing more travel. Also, she had not kept up with technology or learned anything beyond typing. I also like to hire a receptionist with the thought that in a year or two they will be ready and willing to learn more and move to another position within the office and that they will stay for a long time. We have staff that have been in our office for 20 years so and its worked for us.

With that being said..I'm moving and will be looking for part time work too and I know that I'm going to run into the same thing...age, plus I only want to work for a couple more years. I work with numbers all day so it's not an issue of keeping up with technology but age will be a factor. I will probably end up doing contract work in accounting on my own which is fine as I don't want the responsibility anymore of business and financial management. I'm winding down and not climbing. I can't fathom nor have the interest in starting a new career now. If I want to learn something new, and I do want to continue to learn, I want it to be for pure knowledge and enjoyment, not work.

Good luck to those in their 50s looking for work.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >