Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Why are looks so important??Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Nah, her knight in shining armor's gotta have something to fight the villains off with.
 Pete73052
Msg: 29
Why are looks so important??
Posted: 8/3/2006 7:38:35 AM
As I've gotten older, looks are less and less important. Probably because my eyesight is failing...
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2006 7:49:31 AM
*Hands pete a pair of glasses*
 sportsman4u400
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/3/2006 8:25:07 AM
hey fitness bunny, are u giving off the message that ur shallow then?
 Pyke
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/3/2006 10:08:45 AM

Not all people gauge a person by their appearance. If this were so, then the world would be comprised of purely shallow people and we wouldn't have the problems with over population that we have today. :)

Having said that, there should be a certain level of attraction with another person if you are considering dating them. Would you date someone that you find physically unappealing? For some people, this is the initial attraction to the other person and it can either be reinforced by positive personality traits, or conversely, it can be weakened by negative personality traits.

In a perfect world, the outer appearances of a person would not matter nearly as much as their wit, intelligence, personality and charm. We live in a far from perfect world. However, I firmly believe that there is a person that will find another attractive based on the aforementioned qualities.

A strong relationship is comprised of not only an attraction to the other person on a physical level, but intellectual and emotional as well. I would personally rather be with someone that values me not for my appearance, but for the person I am within...

Going to have to disagree with you on the perfect world comment, mostly because it just changes who is fortunate.

Take me for example. I'm not going to win any beauty contests anytime soon, though I'm not exactly ugly, I am overweight, which is a disadvantage. That being said, I'm bright, clever, witty, kind, caring, etc. I don't do well in this 'world' when it comes to romance, because physical appearance is important. (Even myself, while my standards are different then many; I still place a value on it to an extent).

The reality is though, this 'perfect world' you suggest where people are judged exclusively on their inner selves, would be far from perfect. I would have everything I could ever dream of, and many others here might too, but there are some who would be left with nothing. Being born pretty doesn't make you born intelligent, or with a good personality, or funny, or anything like that. They are not equivelant.

Why should I hope for a world where others should have the misfortune of suffering? I would not call that a perfect world, by any standard of the imagination. It's just another sad example of humanity's greed - the self-centered view that the world would be better for us, and thus everyone else.

I don't believe it's true.

-Pyke
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2006 11:22:36 AM
I AM happily attached. :p

But it's true, to a lot of people, looks mean nothing.
And that doesn't mean that they should be able to just be happy with anyone.
Because PERSONALITY matters. You have to really click with the person to want to be with them. You can't just be with any random person.
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2006 11:33:52 AM

you don't want to be with someone that doesn't see past the limitations of your body

Heh, that doesn't really apply to psssst.
There aren't exactly any "limitations" when it comes to her appearance.

Pete73052
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/3/2006 3:48:23 PM

*Hands pete a pair of glasses*

*puts on glasses*

Oh my... Adam, you're a guy... Forget what I said in that other thread.
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2006 3:50:12 PM
Phew... means my ass is safe once more.
Hmm... maybe I'll still keep psssst back there though.
 sportsman4u400
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/4/2006 7:17:39 PM
no pssst u are wrong, we need to have self confidence here, without it, who will like us?
 sportsman4u400
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/4/2006 7:28:03 PM
no,but u seem to be bashing men, im just giving in my 2 cents, i at least do not write pity threads
 sportsman4u400
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/4/2006 7:58:10 PM
listen, i really dont wanna argue, this is not worth it
 sportsman4u400
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/4/2006 8:01:00 PM
for one, ur accusing me of starting "pity parties" Im not doing it. thats y
 Ahhh...ya
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/8/2006 6:30:27 PM
Listen amber now the problem with u is ur not exactly how do i put this blessed...u cant go on a dating site and post pics that look like that and expect to get tons of hookups or even messages (that is why u post on the forums cause nobody will talk to u otherwise), normally i would say ur a beautiful girl and blah blah blah, but lets face it ur pic stands out like a sore thumb mabye go on a blind peoples website if u want somebody who is into u for your good heart and all that other b.s.
 Poothead
Msg: 54
Posted: 8/9/2006 6:42:33 AM
Are looks so important? Yes. No, make that fuk yes. You had to of known that already no? Hangin around nothing but blind people? Ugly + good personality = friend.

Looks are archetypes for inner states of being/energies. It isn't shallow to love appearance any more than it is the sight of a waterfall or the night sky.
 Poothead
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/9/2006 10:57:05 AM
I just got done watchin Gene Simmons get swarmed by beautiful womens. Huh? What?

It's not hard to understand folks. You might not like what is so in our reality, lord knows I don't, but not wanting it, doesn't kill it. I don't like 99 percent of the crap on the radio, that help? No. Um, anyway.. If you are a female (gays aside. Hey, I'm an American, we're good at that) you need to be Barbie. Man? Powerful in some way. Now, if you are a female and ugly... you should be ashamed. I've seen dog face butch lookin women put on makeup, and certain clothes, and they look hot. Again, if you can't look good with all the help you have, stop whining and do something bout that. I've spent the past 2 years fixen my ugly self. It took work, and lots of shit I didn't want to do, but, now I get some people that don't puke when I walk by. Sometimes, even want to fuk me. It isn't hard to figure out. Whining and not owning your shyt isn't attractive. Blaing others for your smelly poop, stinks. I know, I did it. I decided to wipe my butt finally. Go figure. Shyt doesn't fall in your lap here. Or, actually, it does. Get up and do somethin bout it. Flying turds don't splat if you didge.

Sorry. This thread was on cereal? Um, I was eating Golden Grahams awhile back. It was pretty good.
 Poothead
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/9/2006 12:21:30 PM
My heart only sees blood.
 Poothead
Msg: 61
Posted: 8/9/2006 3:29:48 PM
The heart sees in the dark because it doesn't use the eyes of reason. Flick the switch, saves trouble. Then no threads need made. Kinda nifty.
 alpacit
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2006 3:39:52 PM
beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes to the bone.
 dogar2007
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2006 8:59:08 PM
I don't see any women on here with profiles that say, "I don't care what you look like, guys. All men are welcome to contact me, regardless of height, weight, hairy or bald, full set of teeth or none". So yes, when it comes to dating, looks mattter. They matter less to some than others, but yes, they matter, to both men and women.
 Roamingsiris
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2006 8:42:33 PM
Somtimes, yes.

Wow, that one was easy... next..
 athletic_funny4
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/29/2006 5:26:57 AM
I'm afraid it's human nature to place a lot of value on looks. Even a baby is attracted to the best looking person in the room. The media has nothing to do with it as so many women claim. The baby hasn't been influenced yet by the media. As well the media us beautiful images because it is what we are naturally attracted to. If the media changed all their ads to use overweight/unattractive people to sell products in 50 years would we all lust over this kind of person no we wouldn't. Michail Angeloes "David" has been around a lot longer than media and he was considered the prerfect man, you don't see and ounce of fat on "David". You can't fight human nature.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2006 3:14:05 PM
Why? Because brain cells are apparently in short supply. Physical Attraction is HUMAN.

In the spirit of being helpfull: I was obese. I took responsibility for it. I can't blame a woman for wanting a man that works to be healthy. Look within, it helps.
 Defiant_One
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2006 8:29:06 PM
Absolutely. Would you date a man that you found physically repulsive?

As much as we like to stick our noses in the air at the idea that we could be so "Primative", selecting a mate is usually mostly based off of whether or not you're attracted to them, whether or not you will have sex with them. This is pretty much the line between "Friends", "Lovers" and "Mates". Friends are people that you identify with, share common interests, etc. Lovers are people that you may or may not find mentally stimulating but the physical attraction is too much to pass up. Mates are people that you generally find a proper balance between the two and could potentially see yourself spending large amounts of time with them. And of course, there are tons of examples - I'm sure - that break these ideals but that's just what they are: Ideals.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >