Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 2
view profile
History
dislexicsPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Gav, I am slys dexlic too.. still managed to grab a Phd!...

Nom
 no-mad
Msg: 7
view profile
History
dislexics
Posted: 8/3/2006 8:59:04 AM
I'm dislexic too,managed to get a hnd in mechanical engineering though...
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 16
view profile
History
dislexics
Posted: 8/3/2006 10:25:25 AM
As a dyslexic I too have had trouble with numbers... the last ones 5'9"& 34-24-34 have cost me a fortune lately..lol

Nom
 bootielicious
Msg: 29
view profile
History
dislexics
Posted: 9/17/2006 3:36:48 PM
As someone who has just left the teaching profession somewhat disillusioned, I have to say there is a clear lack of training and resources to spot a lot of these conditions (I don't personally class it as illness) in time. I had one child in Year 4 (8 to 9 years old) who I believe had dyspraxia. She was often clumsy, untidy and fell over. Her work was equally untidy and she rarely completed work. However, she had an amazing enquirng mind and asked some very (admittedly personal) but shrewd questions. Verbally she was very mature and able to hold a conversation, but this did not translate into her work. Naturally I began to question this. I found her parents were not keen to have her 'labelled' and as a gp had met her and ruled it out without further inspection they were happy to dismiss it.

This child moved on to another school where I occassionally worked supply and I was told that she was a handful and naughty. It disturbs me to see this beautiful child slip through the net, but with lack of training and non co-operation it was too late to change her fate.

On another occasson at a different school, one child in year 6 (10 to 11 years) was working way behind his years, with reading being of particular concern. This school had more knowledge and looking at all angles tried givng him different coloured transparency sheets to try and read over to see if one helped him read. He professed one of them was helping and actually with this aid his reading did improve. His parents were told that a visit to the optitians may be useful and they came back ellated saying that their son had weak muscles in his eyes which meant he was only seeing the centre part of the page or word. He was given some glasses and eye exercises and answers to his inability to succeed in the class room. He began to blossom. Too late for SATs, but plenty of time to catch up.

I left teaching because I personally felt under trained, rarely being given the opportunity to increase on my skills and knowledge or develop new skills. There is a lot of bias and with little money some areas get totally over looked, leaving one person to cover everything within the school. Often you find one person may be nominated for any course of relevance while leaving other teachers to flounder. Some schools are still using books that were in existance when I was at school. Too much red tape, too much paper work, too much attitude and too little time spent on the ones that really matter. The children.

I miss the children, but not the back stabbing and double standards. Oh and why is it most head teachers understand the importance of praising the children but are rendered incapable of praising their staff? Man-management skills seem seriously lacking by many in this area.
 restless_native
Msg: 40
view profile
History
dislexics
Posted: 6/16/2007 4:42:54 AM
Is it true that DNA stands for National Dyslexia Association?
 cuddlesno1_99
Msg: 59
view profile
History
dislexics
Posted: 6/27/2007 2:20:23 PM
iam dislexic when i was younger i had a problem with my p b d lol know it sounds daft but would put them in wrong place as i grew up i found help from spell check on pc and by reading the more words i lernt the better i go now i have a problem with little words but big words iam fine with i cant speel at all lol i cant even spell what i have dyslexia lol see its nothing to be ashamed of its part of u
hugs and kissers to all
bec
 shawnraylee282
Msg: 69
view profile
History
dislexics
Posted: 4/26/2011 1:45:02 AM
well I have dyslexia to and found that the copy and paste woek really good but I am not going to lie it is very hard to chat with dyslexia becoude pepole love to mack fun so i find it reall hard to meet pepole becouse you dont what pepole to thaink you are dummp and it does give you a low selfetem but I had it my hole life so u leard to fank preaty good but their still thouse check you need to fill out but if you ask for help then u really fell daump
 Strider886
Msg: 76
view profile
History
dislexics
Posted: 4/26/2011 8:36:40 AM
^^ But unlike ADHD (where parents can get disability benefit and a free car), surely there's no real benefit to claiming Dyslexia?
 try1more
Msg: 80
view profile
History
dislexics
Posted: 4/27/2011 1:52:43 AM
my definition of intelligence is a little simpler.
it's not how much you know it's how much you can do with what little you know :-)
 try1more
Msg: 89
view profile
History
dislexics
Posted: 4/30/2011 7:59:56 AM
^^^^^^
here's something that kind of backs that up

Marie Fredriksson of roxette

"On 11 September 2002 Fredriksson fainted in her bathroom, hitting her head and receiving a concussion. Scans indicated that Fredriksson had a brain tumor in the back of her head. This diagnosis led to the cancellation of Roxette's planned performance at the 2002 Night of the Proms concert series. After waiting several weeks for the concussion to subside, she underwent a successful surgery to remove the tumour. It was malignant and she then endured months of chemotherapy and radiation treatments. She received some permanent damage to her brain, losing the ability to read and count, the vision in her right eye, and some loss of movement in her right side.

During her illness, Fredriksson rediscovered her love of drawing. Although she could no longer read or write, drawing was one thing she could still do and she found a real passion for it."

just thought i would mention it, the above was copied from the marie fredriksson page on wikipedia

edit: for anyone doesn't know who roxette is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCC_b5WHLX0
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >