Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mungojoe
Msg: 39
I watched the Israeli / US Media videoPage 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

"guarantee that the next generation of israelis and palestineans - my two boys included - does not grow up in an apartheid regime"

you're only 26 and you live in newzealand. your boys will grow up playing cricket and raising sheep. i wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you had actually read the article you would have known that the line was written by Neve Gordon, not the poster

i'm not sure i've ever heard this apartheid nonsense from an israeli before, but now that i think of it, i still don't think i have.

Again, if you had actually read the article you would be certain that you had (heard apartheid references from an Israeli).

After all Neve Gordon is a 3rd generation Israeli and a veteran IDF Paratrooper.
 Saver1
Msg: 40
view profile
History
I watched the Israeli / US Media video
Posted: 8/24/2009 4:55:30 PM
mungojoe, thanks mate for the accurate clarification. I guess some people just read through the back of thier heads, alas.
ATerribleAspect, my friend, What's the meaning of the quotation marks. Suggest read the article again.

The article is written by Neve Gordon, he teaches politics at Ben-Gurion University in Beersheba, Israel.
 whiskeypapa
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/24/2009 8:29:14 PM
Yes, a single state is the best solution. Get rid of the apartheid wall, get a constiution--one that gaurantees equal rights for all. Perhaps, after a truth and rconciliation period as in South Africa the Muslims and Jews can work together as they did in Spain before they were expelled and maybe, just maybe, isreal could become a "Light Unto The Nations.
 cotter
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2009 4:44:58 PM
Just an update ... it's important to note the link in the original post no longer works, but I have found a different link that takes you to the same video ... which is the topic of this thread.

We need to spread the word ... encourage people to watch the video. It's important for people to be informed about what is going on over there.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6604775898578139565
 cotter
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2009 7:18:15 PM

...digging up old threads ...
I've posted in this thread on and off since it started back in August 2006 and it interests me. Am I being stalked here?

Back on topic ...
Message 5 ... this tells it well ... I know him, he's still here ... just with a little bit of a different name, but he's still here and still feels the same as what he posted in that message. I think that post is important and that's why I'm drawing attention to it ...
That video made me completely change my view of the conflict.
It is hard to change core beliefs that have been indoctrinated.
I know all about it, I created two threads previous to seeing that video practically yelling my support for Israel and the USA, all the while making my-self look like a brainwashed tool, lol.

I cannot believe how much we have the wool pulled over our eyes on this matter.
And I do not buy that the Canadian government simply does not under-stand the conflict. I guess its possible, but highly unlikely. That tells me our PM is kissing Bush's ass and that is a big no-no in Canada. The fastest way for Harper to be shown the door is for people here to get that perception. (wether he actually is or not, and yes, GWB is hated that much here, even by our right wing)

Question is now, what do we do about it?
I have already emailed our current government with the link and my disgust at their position.
I doubt it will make a difference. But at least they know they have one red neck really pissed off.
A redneck with a vote.

Any-one else got any ideas?
I would start an online petition with a link to that video if I knew how to build a damn web page.

To the post below ...
If that is your concern then you should find some links that show the situation from the other perspective...
Even my Jewish friends are ashamed of what the regime over there is doing ... friends who live there and despise what the Israelis are doing. They find the behavior despicable. I have Jewish friends in Germany ... where I lived for 10 years who feel the same way. They abhor the Zionist regime.

The websites with the IDF soldiers who are going to jail because they refuse to follow orders to kill the Palestinians ... that's also a hoax? Hardly.

We need to spread the word ... encourage people to watch the video. It's important for people to be informed about what is going on over there.

cotter
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2009 8:49:44 PM

... but as we both know for whatever reason certain posters want Israel destroyed....
I've certainly never promoted that idea.

Now ... how is that part of the topic here?
 cotter
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 8:34:40 AM

as someone once said about this conflict, how ironic is it that to get credible reports you have to go to the aggressor.
Yes ... the aggressor ... Israel.

That report was produced by an organization called "The Elder of Ziyon ... it's an Israeli run website.

Yes ... I'd say that is the AGGRESSOR.

You got it right this time!!!!
 cotter
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2009 11:01:47 AM
^^^^There is nothing in that article that could possibly discredit the video mentioned here.

Now back to the topic of the thread.

OT ...
We need to spread the word.

We need to encourage people to watch the video. It's important for people to be informed about what is going on over there.

cotter
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2011 7:43:25 PM
In light of the president's speech today and his mention of the 1967 borders, I think we need to continue to spread the word.

We need to encourage people to watch the video. It's important for people to be informed about what is going on over there.

New link for the video ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2165626245072381061#
 Imported_labor
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/25/2011 5:56:36 AM
Interesting bit of news today about sanctions imposed by the U.S. State Department against two Israeli companies owned by the richest men in Israel for violating the rules for trading with Iran:

Tue May 24, 4:22 pm ET
U.S. sanctions 7 firms, two Israeli-owned, for violating Iran sanctions
By Laura Rozen

A day after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu received a hero's welcome from more than 10,000 supporters of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), members of the pro-Israel lobby hit Capitol Hill today to urge lawmakers to support tougher sanctions against Iran, among other measures.

And so it came as no great surprise that the U.S. State Department chose today to roll out a list of seven international firms facing U.S. sanctions for allegedly doing business with Iran.

There is, however, a curious twist in this particular list: two of the seven firms on the State Department list are owned by prominent Israeli businessmen. One is an Israeli shipping company called the Ofer Brothers Group, headed by Yehuda (Yuli) Ofer; the other is a company in Singapore called Tanker Pacific, owned by Sami Ofer (Yehuda Ofer's brother).
The United States accused the two Ofer-owned firms, along with a third company in Monaco called Associated Shipping, of selling an oil tanker to an Iranian-owned shipping line last year.

"The companies are being sanctioned for their respective roles in a September 2010 transaction that provided a tanker valued at $8.65 million to the Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines (IRISL), an entity that has been designated by the United States, and the European Union for its role in supporting Iran's proliferation activities," the State Department said in a fact sheet today.

"We believe that Tanker Pacific and Ofer Brothers Group failed to exercise due diligence and did not heed publicly available and easily obtainable information that would have indicated that they were dealing with IRISL," the fact sheet said.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton "will hold companies accountable, as required by the [Iran Sanctions Act], when they know or 'should have known' they were providing sanctionable goods or services to Iran," the department vowed.

The U.S. fact sheet also pointedly notes that these are the first sanctions the United States has imposed under toughened Iran sanctions legislation targeting Iran's refined petroleum industry that was passed by Congress--with strong support from the pro-Israel lobby--and signed by the President last year.

Asked if the timing of the announcement could in any way be read as a hint of resentment at the Israeli leader coming to Washington to lecture the administration and Congress on toughening sanctions on Iran, a senior U.S. official remained straight-faced as he professed nothing of the sort.

"The Israeli government was consulted during this process," he said on condition of anonymity. "Israel supports implementing tough sanctions against Iran."

The other companies the United States targeted for sanctions today include PCCI (based in Jersey/Iran); Royal Oyster Group (based in the United Arab Emirates), Speedy Ship (UAE/Iran), and PetrĂ³leos de Venezuela of Venezuela.

The sanctions prohibit the identified firms from securing financing from the U.S. Export-Import Bank, from obtaining loans for over $10 million from U.S. financial institutions--and from receiving U.S. export licenses.

The Ofer brothers reportedly denied the charges in a statement published by IsraelNationalNews.com: "We have never sold ships to Iran, and well-respected Israeli officials will certify this," the statement said.

Forbes magazine ranked Sami Ofer Israel's wealthiest man in 2008, valuing his fortune at $6.7 billion

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theenvoy/20110524/ts_yblog_theenvoy/u-s-sanctions-7-firms-two-israeli-owned-for-violating-iran-sanctions

Does anyone knows if the Netanyahu government is commenting on this?
 cotter
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2011 6:56:57 PM

The sanctions prohibit the identified firms from securing financing from the U.S. Export-Import Bank, from obtaining loans for over $10 million from U.S. financial institutions--and from receiving U.S. export licenses.

The Ofer family owns one of the largest private shipping companies in the world.

Does anyone knows if the Netanyahu government is commenting on this?

I haven't seen that Netanyahu has commented on this. But given their apparent ability financially, I doubt Netanyahu would dare say anything.

Besides, it doesn't matter what the Israeli do ... they're untouchable. Right?
 Imported_labor
Msg: 52
Posted: 5/26/2011 7:12:22 AM
I remember that the Israelis played a very significant role in the transfer of weapons to Iran during the Iran/Contra affair. Of course they were trading with the enemy at the request of the US government, which was also trading with the enemy that had just ended the hostage crisis.

However, unless someone can give us some more insight into what has happened recently, it seems as if the rich capitalists in Israel can trade with the enemy without fear of the power of the Israeli government.

At least this time, unlike what happened during the Reagan administration, the US government officials are not responsible of the act of treason. To have Netanyahu declaring that Iran and its policies intended to become a nuclear power hostile top Israel, and at the same time have the rich Israeli capitalist trading with Iran is the highest absurdity in international politics. Why should America continue to support financially the Israeli government if they can't control the Israeli capitalist from trading with the enemy?
 cotter
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2011 6:17:49 AM

Why should America continue to support financially the Israeli government if they can't control the Israeli capitalist from trading with the enemy?
Why should the US support the Israeli government in any way ... financially or politically?

Like I said ... what does it matter what the Israeli do ... they're untouchable. Right?

WATCH THE VIDEO ... IT TELLS THE REAL STORY!!!

cotter
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2011 8:27:25 PM

... there is at least one Country that doesn't hate America...Yet...
They spy on us, they bomb our warships, they torture our citizens ... and that makes them an ally?

WOW what a strange sense of "ally" some folks have. If that's an ally, what is an enemy?

Israel tolerates us because they want our money and the arms and ammunition we give them to sell to other countries ... so they can make more money.

Israel's greed is nothing new ... at least not new to those of us with our eyes wide open.

OT ...

.dej
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2011 8:10:50 PM
For those doubting me, this strange cross-breed of crazy and questionable objectivity would be what I was referring to earlier:

They spy on us, they bomb our warships, they torture our citizens ... and that makes them an ally?

Of course, no conspiracy-mongering post would be complete without the typical:

The "real story"! If the jews found out the real story was out, they'd send the assassins to cover it up.
 .dej
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2011 12:32:27 AM

A country that shouldnt exist.

Elaborate.
 cotter
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2011 7:02:09 AM

We should support Israel because they are one of our staunchest allies ...
They are NOT an ally. If they were any kind of ally, they would be in Iraq and Afghanistan with us, but they are not.

... supporting us in the Middle East ...
How are they supporting us in the Middle East?

They sit by and watch us pour billions into their economy while ours crumbles and still they have their hands out. They can't be happy with the land that was stolen from the Palestinians and just handed to them over 60 years ago ... they are constantly stealing more and building illegal settlements on it.

... with all of the changes taking place there it is good to know, there is at least one Country that doesn't hate America.
How much "hate" do you think you would openly show if someone was handing you billions of dollars ... no need to pay it back ... just business as usual?

The "real story"! If the jews found out the real story was out, they'd send the assassins to cover it up.
Why not help us out then ... with the "real story".

If the video does not tell the "real story" then what is it?

It's the story of how the UN went in and basically just took land away from one people and gave it to someone else.

Here's a proposal ... how about we just take 2/3 of Minnesota and give it to the Somalians? There are really a lot of them there and they need a place to live, so let's just give it to them ... okay?

Then when the good people of Minnesota rebel, just go in and bomb the Hell out of them, push them into camps without appropriate food or fresh water. If they get sick and need emergency help and actually manage to get someone to take them to a hospital, just pull them aside and let them die at some made up "checkpoint".

But wait ... I'm not done yet. To make life better for the Somalians, let's arm them with all kinds of illegal WMD's and let them continuously go steal more and more of what's left of Minnesota ... just drive those people further and further back ... and build all kinds of wonderful housing on the stolen land while the people of Minnesota live in run-down camps. And the camps that are close to the Somalian land can't have any water but one hour per week because the Somalian people need it for their nice green plush housing areas and recreational areas.

And if the people from Minnesota (what's left of it) complain, we'll just tell them too damn bad ... and turn our head. When the UN (who created the whole mess) places sanctions on the Somalians or files resolutions on them, we'll just blindly veto it because even though we play as if we care about the plight of the people from Minnesota, we really just don't care if the Somalians do whatever they want.

The whole time that's going on, we'll supply the Somalians with all kinds of goods and money and weapons ... so they can just keep doing what they do to the people of Minnesota.

OT ...
If the video is not the real story ... why hasn't the "real story" been told? Why do we keep finding more and more videos of the Israeli's stealing land? Why is the rest of the world finally coming to their senses and rebelling against what Israel is doing?

If Israel is not building "illegal" settlements, why did they stop for a while? Was it to re-group and wait for more money from the US?

What happens when the Palestinians finally get their own state? If Israel continues to attack them and steal their land and water, then I guess the UN will have to go in and defend them ... right?
 .dej
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2011 6:29:15 PM

let's arm them with all kinds of illegal WMD's

I'm struggling here. Are you saying the UN armed the Israelis with illegal WMDs?
 cotter
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2011 7:50:05 PM

"Palestine" would be in a much better position if they had accepted the UN deal in 1948.
Yes ... that's true. Thank you "Sighs" ... that assertion was well put.

Even if they could start over again (where they were in 1948), how do you undo all the horrible things they've had to live with for over 60 years ... on both sides?
 Imported_labor
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/4/2011 8:08:18 AM
When the UN gave Israel statehood, and offered the same to Palestine, the more sophisticated and successful Palestinians got the H out of there and moved to neighboring countries, leaving the least capable Palestinians to cope.

Well, let's see if we can sort out our biases and let go of them so we can have a productive discussion.

It is true that many Palestinians moved to other countries and they found success. However, do not forget the large camps for Palestinian refugees in those same neighboring countries where they have been victims of all kinds of mistreatment, including mass murder.

Then, lets think about the people who lived in Palestine and were successful farmers. People who made a living by cultivating their fields and supporting their families laboring on their land. Their capital was the land they owned and their knowledge of agriculture and farming on those lands. It's not as if they could move their land and fields to a neighboring country, right? So, my guess is that they had to stay behind, in the land that they had inherited from their ancestors. Does that make them " hopeless losers," useful to leaders that don't care about their plight? And, what is their plight?

If they stayed because their capital (the land that they owned) couldn't be moved, why would you expect them to keep quiet when the abusive occupiers are stealing their capital in broad daylight. How do you explain the supposedly strategic defensive value assigned by the Israelis to low-lying valleys in Palestinian lands? Or is that just an excuse to steal more Palestinian lands without compensation to their legitimate owners?
 cotter
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2011 10:00:34 PM

If they stayed because their capital (the land that they owned) couldn't be moved, why would you expect them to keep quiet when the abusive occupiers are stealing their capital in broad daylight.
That's the problem ... they won't quietly surrender what is rightfully theirs.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/6/2011 11:43:47 AM

Re: msg 110 - I think the best play is for the Palestinian people to become Israelis, cede those lands to expand Israel, and make a larger stronger Israel with far greater prosperity for everyone concerned, with the possible exception of terrorist groups who wish to damage Israel.

What an idea!!!

Why don't you run it by the Israelis? My guess is they would think that you must be a resident of an insane asylum.
 whiskeypapa
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/8/2011 6:13:36 AM
Yes, a single state with a constitution that guarantees equal rights for all would be an ideal solution to the present problem. And yes, those running that criminal state would be aghast at such a proposal.
 cotter
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2011 8:59:45 PM

We already know that ... that's what the Zionists do all the time. It's nothing new about what the Mossad is usually up to. It's apparently what they do best ... eh?

Is one Israeli soldier worth 1,000 Palestinians?
That's kind of the way it works ... the way the Israelis kill off the Palestinians. Let's see, how many Palestinians have the Israelis killed alone just bulldozing their houses with them still inside?

Then there are no doubt deaths related to the Palestinians not being allowed to have fresh water in their town. Okay, okay, they get one hour of fresh water a week at the town watering hole... big deal. I wonder how many have died waiting in an ambulance at the border checkpoints? I wonder how many have died while being tortured?
 trinity818
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/19/2011 8:55:43 AM

Only an idiot would use the excuse that the Israelis don't want to give the land back to the Palestinians because they have low IQs

There are no rules against saying dumb things. But there are rules against name-calling. (However thinly veiled it may be.) Maybe somebody should report YOU.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >