Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is Intelligence A Curse In Relationships?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hungry_joe
Msg: 1218
view profile
History
Is Intelligence A Curse In Relationships?Page 56 of 59    (19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59)
Are we talking about the kind of intelligence you define as being able to remember what's written down in a book or are we talking about the kind of intelligence where the person has their own individual mind and can think out of the frame........Couldn't be too bothered with the first kind of intelligence, the second one is a must as I love having discussions with someone whose mind is independent.
And that my friend is something unique and something a person cant learn.... something you dont learn from a book.

I think that you must have a bit of the former to reason in the latter. Otherwise you're just speaking gibberish, and loose crediblity. For instance when I go on a nature walk, I see an interesting plant or animal that I'm unaware of I will go and look it up in a field manual to learn about it. That however, doesn't take away from my interest or love of its beauty, it reinforces it. I can love an O'Keef or a Matise for it beauity and unquiness, then I can read about how they moved art forward. Reason is like the Borque period, bring light out of the dark. I guess that is why that is my favorite artistic period.
 exogenist
Msg: 1219
view profile
History
Is Intelligence A Curse In Relationships?
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:19:21 AM

I think that you must have a bit of the former to reason in the latter. Otherwise you're just speaking gibberish, and loose crediblity.

What if you reached a point, where the things you want to find out, cannot be found in a book?
 heterotic
Msg: 1220
Posted: 8/17/2009 8:21:54 AM

What if you reached a point, where the things you want to find out, cannot be found in a book?

Abstract thought + logic + experiments + math = discovery and/or invention

bigfish0979
Msg: 1221
Posted: 8/17/2009 10:16:09 AM
Intelligence is bad. Most women will not date me because I don't have an associates degree or batchelor's degree. Even though I have been throu 6 years of college and still plan on completing my degree soon. Similar to a woman not wanting to date a guy who makes only 15,000 a year. It should not matter what kind of education or job you have. It is not right for women to judge guys like me has a loser who in that catergory just because I work in a grocery store making 15,000 a year with no college degree.
 varinia
Msg: 1222
Posted: 8/17/2009 12:18:08 PM
" It should not matter what kind of education or job you have."

Education or job has nothing to do with intelligence.

Intelligence is nature - education or job is nurture
 ~GoneSailing~
Msg: 1223
Posted: 8/17/2009 12:26:12 PM
I think it must be. And here's why. Everytime I begin to think in my relationships instead of simply "going with the flow" or "what feels good"?

The relationship ends.

Why? Because they were bad relationships from the beginning - I was just feeling instead of thinking intelligently.
 CynthiaMw
Msg: 1224
Posted: 8/25/2009 1:22:24 PM
"I want an incisive, inquisitive, insightful, irreverent mind. I want someone for whom philosophical discussion is foreplay. I want someone who sometimes makes me go ouch due to their wit and evil sense of humor. I want someone that I can reach out and touch randomly. I want someone I can cuddle

Add that I want someone who knows the difference between debate/argument and a fight. While I love a good debate, I run from a fight.
 Codeguru
Msg: 1225
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2010 7:29:23 PM
Usually intelligence is measured by people with opinions who don't shut up about them. So that is a curse I'd say. Real intelligence, maybe not so much. Just because you're used to talking and flinging the crap that is your "philosophy" all over the walls doesn't mean you can program a VCR worth a damn...

Codeguru
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 1226
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2010 8:34:12 PM
My view has always been based on the fact that intelligent women have always attracted me, and really stupid ones have never attracted me. You can place the sexiest woman you can create in front of me, and if she's got no perceivable brain activity - it's going nowhere.

Nice to look at, but not much else to offer.

I've actually faced that situation once, head on, and stopped it dead. The woman involved was quite a cute sexy one, indeed better known to all as the office "eye candy". About ten minutes into our "date" , my thoughts suddenly turned into ways of possible ending it as quickly as possible, because time had apparently stopped.

A minute seemed like an hour...

Any thoughts of having sex with her were now countered with the almost impossible to imagine probability of what lying in that bed next to her would involve, since there was almost nothing this women could/would ever talk about other than popular TV shows and women's magazines.

Now a varient of what is also attractive to me is the intelligent woman that's able to pull off that "ditzy" side of her successfully, think of someone like Teri Garr, for example. That's sublime, if done properly.

See my "gold standard" for what I seek is embodied in that Tracy/Hepburn type of relationship of old movies. Sure it's just a film, but in reading about those two it was essentially what their relationship was like in real life. Being able to go toe to toe with such a woman in a relationship is what keeps life interesting, and the possibility that I will perhaps one day run across it is what keeps life worth living.

az109
Msg: 1227
Posted: 9/3/2010 8:41:32 PM
It's a curse only if you are intelligent and make the mistake of trying to have a relationship with someone who is not intelligent. Two people lacking intelligence would be missing nothing by being together. Their outlooks would happily match. Two intelligent people would likewise be well suited. It is the lopsided match that presents an ongoing conflict. One would have to become more intelligent and the other less so, which is exactly what happens and you can hear it happening if you listen to them argue, but I recommend against it, especially if it would involve hearing what you can't believe you just said.
 Wyatt Earp1
Msg: 1228
Posted: 3/31/2011 12:29:36 PM
Killa funny! Being intelligent is good when the right woman recognizes it & LIKES it. Otherwise many women {and for women who are brilliant-many men} don't like it imho. There's a saying about political slogans "make for a 6th grade level."
So it's best to dumb yourself down, chill and talk about everyday stuff less you scare the brain cells out of your date ;)

"Usually intelligence is measured by people with opinions who don't shut up about them. So that is a curse I'd say."
 Georgygirl7
Msg: 1229
Posted: 6/24/2011 12:13:02 AM
I've heard
that
intelligent people read,,,,right???

Well how about we try an experiment
We take away all their books
except
'Winnie ther Pooh' (Milne said he wrote them for adults)

When they finish,,
,for dessert they can read
'The Tao of Pooh'

A truly humbling mindwashing experience

Now these' humble' single people with 'holistic' minds\
might have different relationship experiences

ps,,,i have a confession
I had to google the word 'dessert' re spelling
I didn't even catch it until I reread my post(for the third time)
I was panicked that it would be too late to 'edit'

I want to be like Pooh
It wouldn't have bothered him
He would have simply said,,,,'same thing'

Back to the books for me

Another confession
I havn't read all the Pooh books,,,,and
I never finished ''The Tao of Pooh"
 bluemascara
Msg: 1230
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2011 9:48:04 AM
I think intellectual men are really sexy! I'd take a physicist over a male model any day.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 1231
Posted: 7/23/2011 9:57:11 AM

Are intellectual types too wrapped up in themselves, too full of themselves, in other words, too Egocentric?

What about manipulative and controlling? I think intellectuals have a great capability of manipulating and engineering a relationship, often in extremely subtle ways. And usually, I might add, resulting in failure!

Do they have unrealistic projections and expectations?

Are many intellectuals doomed to be forever frustrated, isolated and alone?

so..ultimately, how 'smart' are they if they "know everything" but aare alone & miserable?

I don't think that intelligence itself is a problem.

people who brag about how intelligent they are and hold themselves out as "superior" to others probably have a hard time making friends and having good relationships, though.

"Intelligence", OK, "cocky, arrogance, not so much

BTW the majority of people I hear brag about heir "intelligence" really are not at the highest end of the Bell curve..they are probably just slightly brighter than most of the people they know so they feel all**** & arrogant about it.

in other words, IMO & IME, those with IQ's of 105-110 brag about it, those with 130-150 or more, not so much
 mateo45
Msg: 1232
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2011 4:54:58 PM
Sheesh.... nuthin' seems to bring out more weird, basically defensive arguments than the subject of "intelligence"! And it's hard to believe that some folks actually seem to be arguing for LESS intelligence (unless maybe it's true what they say, that "ignorance is bliss")!!

From Psychology Today, "6 Clues to Character":
"Whether you wish to take an inventory of yourself, gauge the suitability of a partner, glimpse what a friendship might hold, or preview a child's trajectory, here are six key candidates for your attention:"

The 6 key character clues are Drive, Happiness, Goodness, Friendship, Intimacy…. and at the top of the list… Intelligence!

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201104/6-clues-character
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 1233
Posted: 12/20/2014 10:57:11 PM
LOL

[b> metaphysicalman
Has anyone ever noticed, how many smart cookies are on this site? Men and Women. I for one don't think it's just a proportionate number. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe, they just naturally gravitate to the forums.

But I have read articles, that suggest, apparently many women are not particularly turned-on by intelligent men.

Are intellectual types too wrapped up in themselves, too full of themselves, in other words, too Egocentric?

What about manipulative and controlling? I think intellectuals have a great capability of manipulating and engineering a relationship, often in extremely subtle ways. And usually, I might add, resulting in failure!

Do they have unrealistic projections and expectations?

What can they do to change? A frontal lobotomy, is probably not an acceptable option! <

It is a challenge.
We live in a world where too many people just want their 'fun' button pushed.
Expanding your mind, just like maintaining a fitness routine, is not necessarily fun.

In POF, much like the real world, you have to suffer through the dumbs ones while searching for that intellectual soulmate.
Unless you can find someone that you love that isn't a genius but isn't an airhead either.
Also, you don't have to be attached at the hips and share all interests.
You can hang with groups that like to discuss quantum physics and your significant other can watch baseball or something like Oprah.

Now if you're tired and just want to have fun but don't know how to put up with idle, blah-blah, chit-chat, just go to the bar and get drunk.
Alcohol is forever the saviour when it comes to dumbing yourself down to their level.

But yes, it can be a curse.
I have a friend...who is nice.... but sometimes the dumbness is quite aggravating.
 Ainen
Msg: 1234
Posted: 12/21/2014 4:18:30 AM
50 doesn't have to worry about having cursed relationships.

50 should already be deleted or banned from any posting because of his (?) spamming.

The troll believes it wins no matter what. If anyone responds, it thinks it won for getting a response. If nobody responds, it thinks it wins by default.
 Perspektiv
Msg: 1235
Posted: 12/21/2014 5:21:50 AM
I don't think intelligence is a curse.

If you're intelligent, and humble, to me that could be a sexy trait.

Its someone who only focuses on what they know, and don't appreciate the life experience of others, that may alienate themselves to a life alone.

I went on a date with this one woman, who felt the need to open an argument with everything I said, just about.

When I first spoke to her, I was struggling to understand how such an attractive woman could struggle to find a good guy. I realized quite fast, within minutes of talking to her.

It was her desire to make me feel small, so would argue until I agreed with what she said. It got annoying, quickly. I mean, both should be allowed to have their own minds.

I would up ending things, quickly, as my brain couldn't handle any more of her.

She was insanely smart and well read, but very arrogant about it, which made her very unattractive.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 1236
Posted: 12/21/2014 11:49:31 AM

Ainen
50 doesn't have to worry about having cursed relationships.

50 should already be deleted or banned from any posting because of his (?) spamming.

The troll believes it wins no matter what. If anyone responds, it thinks it won for getting a response. If nobody responds, it thinks it wins by default.

Thanks for your insults and opinion Ainen.
It is not a matter of thinking I won a debate.
It is whether the opposing party has produced evidence to support their accusation.
As for just getting a response?
If you were around to see how this all started, you have seen how this POF forum was already infected with malicious people who immediately attacked the messenger instead of the message. After failed efforts to defend myself, I gave the "haters" what they wanted unfortunately...and that was some troll bait.
Other threads I posted on was for legitimate conversation.
Thankfully there are still people who would respond to the topic of the thread, instead of attacking me.
Easy to distinguish the people for legitimate conversation from the haters.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 1237
Posted: 12/21/2014 12:03:51 PM

Bingo. You left out the best one where the troll believes it wins by making sure it has the last word. How? By taking up all the rest of the 21 responses in AAG so that one can't respond to his infantile posts.

It's akin to a child who claps his hands over his ears and screams, "Na na na na naaa! I can't hear you!"
 alanj805
Msg: 1238
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2014 12:26:23 PM
Ainen and Halcyon are calling the thread resurrector a "troll" via issuing ad hominem attacks on what was a relevant opinion?

I would say, "you can't write stuff this rich", except... well, they did.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 1239
Posted: 12/21/2014 12:45:04 PM

Yes.

Sometimes.

Yes.

What can they do to change?

It's not always them who needs to change.
Intellectuals rarely engage in "mob rule" or "herd mentality", which often does need to change to produce better results.

Has anyone ever noticed, how many smart cookies are on this site?

LOL.
That was a good one.
Oh, you were serious?

Well, the comment WAS made way back in 2006, and things have certainly changed on online dating sites since then.

Carry on.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 1240
Posted: 12/21/2014 1:07:20 PM
Ainen and Halcyon are calling the thread resurrector a "troll" via issuing ad hominem attacks on what was a relevant opinion?

I would say, "you can't write stuff this rich", except... well, they did.

When the troll posts stop (check the posting history) only then will the "ad hominem attacks" stop.

Only if there is a significant disparity in intellect between the partners.
 gtomustang
Msg: 1241
Posted: 12/21/2014 2:32:33 PM
Is intelligence a curse in relationships? sure is in the forums, lol. truly intelligent people rarely follow herd mentality, unless they find it actually makes sense. But, there are people who aren't intelligent, but "cunning". they can waste their brains on finding a smart way to chase after a dumb thing.
 petula1908
Msg: 1242
Posted: 12/21/2014 4:54:43 PM
lililH

I am with you. Intelligence is a basic requirement. "Intellectual" is different, they can be too cool and analytical, often not sexy at all, as they don't take care of their appearance and live in their heads. That is a generalisation I know.
Smart savvy men are more likely to be successful but those with a very very high IQ can be quite strange and eccentric.
If I had to dumb myself down in order that the guy feel superior or non threatened, I would just move on. What we need is commonsense and street smarts to do well on this planet.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is Intelligence A Curse In Relationships?