Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > What does ELVIS mean to you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 1
What does ELVIS mean to you?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
This week is the anniversary of Elvis' death and I always get a little meloncholy over it. I can't even say why exactly, it's not like I knew him, or was even a fan while he was still alive.

Still, for some unearthly reason, his life and legacy has an impact on me.

Here was a guy who started out with nothing; his folks were poor white trash with aspirations no futher than paying the rent. He grew up with very little encouragement to be anything more than a blue collar worker, yet he had a passion for music that could not be derailed and he would eventually grow up to be the biggest musical influence since... well, probably since Mozart.

He had everything a man could want - talent, fame, money, a loving family, adoring fans the world at his feet - yet he died miserable and alone.

And way too young.

Is Elvis someone you envy or pity?

Does his life and story hold any lessons? Have YOU learned anything from Elvis?
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 2
What does ELVIS mean to you?
Posted: 8/15/2006 12:29:31 AM
I've always been a Beatles man myself. For me 4 Princes beat a King.

"Before Elvis, there was nothing."

- John Lennon
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/15/2006 9:00:56 PM
It's true that Elvis didn't really invent Rock N Roll, although the popular press often credits him for it. HE never said he did.

WHat he did do was fuse black and white styles of music and created a unique sound and an even more unique and energized performance. He put rock and roll into the mainstream, and was the person every young rock wanabe aspiried to become.

George Lucas didn't invent science fiction, but Star Wars sure put it on the map!
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/16/2006 1:50:26 AM

if Chuck Berry had been an attractive white man, nobody would know who Elvis was.

Like maybe Jerry Lee Lewis?

The fact is, there were quite a few rock and roll performers who were very good and had a following well before Elvis hit the scene... but Elvis was the first to just get it all right and, for whatever reason, it was at the right time. He had the sound, the look, the clothes and crowds went nuts for him.

In fact, it was after seeing an audience react to him that the Colonel decided to become his manager.

You have to remember, talent is only half the ballgame - for every great invention, there has to be an equally great marketing genius to get it out there and sell it. The Colonel was just as good at selling as Elvis was at singing, and that may very well be what put Elvis over the top of all the others.

And yes, at the time, being white helped. Ironically, most people who first heard Elvis on the radio assumed he was black!
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/16/2006 6:42:13 PM

Elvis was offered the role opposite Barbra Streisand in "A Star is Born", but Parker didn't want him to play it

Only once in his career did Elvis go against the Colonel's wishes... you know what for?

The '68 Comeback special.

When Elvis finally got out of the movie contract and NBC offered him that special, the Colonel told him not to take it. But something about it appealed to Elvis. He really wanted to prove to a world that had given up on him that he still had "it."

The special was a huge creative departure for Elvis, but he defied the Colonel and decided to do it.

That one-hour special is generally regarded to be the brightest moment in his career. He was absolutely on fire for that thing, and he sings with a passion and energy like you wouldn't believe - clearly he was eager to prove himself all over again, and despite his talent, you can see the nervousness behind his eyes; he knew this was a do or die moment for his career.

That performance is what made the press call him the King of Rock and Roll. For a few years after that, Elvis recorded what I think is the best music of his career; pure, raw, unfiltered r&b, you could almost call it Motown.

Then he started wearing the jumpsuits, focused on ballads and got fat.

It was the difference between being the king - and wanting to be king.
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/20/2006 1:18:41 AM
When I think about Elvis, I think about all that wasted potential.

He is an important lesson for all of us - it's easy to make fun of him and dismiss his fat, bloated, pill popping, jumpsuit wearing, karate chopping white butt, but in his 42 years, he accomplished everything he wanted to.

You and I may not be popping pills and acting crazy, but can we say the same?

What's the point being healthy and drug-free and living to a ripe old age if we don't live up to our own potential?

I only hope when I'm 42 I can look back and say I did it all.

Can you?

This is what Elvis makes me think about.
 Carnation66
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/8/2006 2:27:17 PM
CHUCK BERRY WAS TRUE KING OF ROCK AND ROLL. JOHN LENNON WHY DONT WE CALL IT CHUCK BERRY INSTEAD OF ROCK AND ROLL
 FISHGOLF
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/11/2006 2:22:57 PM

Listen to Louis Jourdan, Ike Turner.... jump swing bands of the late forties and early fifties... you'll probably mistake some of them for Chuck Berry or Elvis records...

Man, You're the only one I've heard mention Louie Jordan in years.
What great stuff he did.
 toonsmith
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2006 9:54:17 PM
A mere mortal touched by the Gods above.

Seems to me, that Elvis was bewildered by the gifts bestowed to him.

What happens when you get everything you ever desired or wished for?.....

You get bored and lose the will to live.

Elvis, a flame that burned brief, but bright...shining a light for many to follow in his footsteps.

(I just wish he never made that lousy movie Clambake.)
 randomstoic
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/23/2007 7:12:40 PM
the King

Arthur, Richard, & Elvis

rockpalace
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/4/2007 2:33:53 PM
elvis costello is still alive
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2007 9:44:15 PM
I liked him in that "Sun Session" period. He wasn't the best rock and roller, but (with that amazing group of musicians behind him at the time) , he made rock and roll "cool" to millions. For that alone, he deserves a lot of credit.

After that period, he did become a cartoon, in so many ways.

The strange thing about Elvis, and the province of Quebec, is that he became incredibly popular here. When I was working at my first job, there was a guy that only spoke french that worked with me. Didn't know one word of english to save his life.

However, he could do a perfect Elvis impression (no accent whatsoever).

We have an Elvis impersonator here, Martin Fontaine, who sells out shows for weeks at a time.

http://tinyurl.com/ywszwn

Elvis Story Package

Price CAD: starting from $209.00

An exceptional summer at Le Capitole de Qu├ębec! From August 3 to September 2, Night Fever promises an outstanding end of season. Our package includes the dinner-show, one night's lodging and breakfast.

He'll sell every ticket out, as he has every time he's played.

Elvis impersonators (for some strange reason) are a major industry here, like our strip clubs.

In fact, one hilarious film (Elvis Graton) made light of that fact. He's a middle aged Elvis impersonator , who's watching TV one night ( an Elvis competition) and hears that an "Elvis Wong" is featured. He goes into this rant on how "foreigners" are stealing our jobs.

Here's a clip from the same film :

http://tinyurl.com/ys7o55

Written by a separatist , it was done to make fun of how provincial Quebecer's were. The great irony is that that film, and character, became one of our most loved comedy bits. Even die hard nationalists are ROFL over that one.
 playmates
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/6/2007 4:46:28 AM
I think Elvis was a song thief. He stole songs from Little Richard. I hate thieves, especially the ones who can't be creative enough to make their own music. It takes stealing someone else's music to become successful.
 playmates
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/6/2007 4:54:09 AM
Elvis, the song thief.
 blonde chickie
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/6/2007 6:04:00 PM
I luv the king !!

In fact I will be in Graceland for Elvis week this year
 Strange Days
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2007 9:17:07 AM
I have huge respect for the King. Elvis had a voice, and a talent that is seldom matched. Scotty Moore is also very important in the history of rock and roll guitar. He had some real tasty parts.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/10/2007 10:35:46 AM
Elvis manned up and went into the army for his country, unlike that pu$$y Ali.
 DJMac
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2007 2:13:09 PM
One thing I would like to clear up about Presley is how he has been falsy accused of being a racist. Lets look at the facts:

Presley grew up in Memphis in a racaially mixed neighborhood, he hung out on Beale Street and listend to R&B and blues, and I have seen pics of the king with Little Richard, Junior Parker and Bobby Bland. For years The Sweet Inspirations were his back up singers on his records and on tours and in the film Thats The Way It Is there is a scene where they are all having a conversation together. Elvis long admired Sammy Davis Jr, and Jackie Wilson. Also the King would watch the film The TAMI Show over and over again just to watch James Brown's stunning performance(and wanted to meet him afterwards.)

Yeah that sounds like a racist to me.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2007 6:21:03 PM
Sorry If I missed something here, I usually read the 1st and last page,
Elvis was the king, no doubt in my mind, Jerry lee, Ummmm, he was good, but he played the frigin piano... Sun records signed up alot of big stars, My fav is Johnny Cash, Both are gone, As George Jones would say, Who's gonna fill their shoe's, IMO,
Knowone. Artists will come and go, But knowone will make as big of an impact as Elvis and the other Break though artists did.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2007 6:01:22 AM

Is there really any difference between Elvis, the manufactured pretty boy born in Tupelo to say.... Boyzone? the manufactured pretty boys from Ireland?

If you look at the times (when he first started) , and the reaction he got, there certainly is.

At that time (in a relative sense) , he was less Boyzone....and more like the Sex Pistols. We sometimes forget how different that time was.

"H-E-double hockey sticks Look at him shake those HIPS ! The SCREAMS !

(QUICK.....raise the camera up higher, WE CAN'T CORRUPT AMERICA !!!! " )

There were certainly wilder people out there (paging Little Richard....) , but no one had been seen at a national level that could do what Elvis did. Without him, Lennon would never have written a song.... He made it ....cool.

Frank Sinatra and the bobby soxers were nothing compared to this new hoodlum with that "jungle beat".
 Thatguy67
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:47:21 PM
it's also true that JL took the piss outa Elvis on "Starting Over".

It was Lennon's acknowledgement of his 1950s musical roots.

I think Freddie Mercury did a better "Elvis" on "Crazy Little Thing Called Love."

INWITHTHENEW
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/30/2008 7:13:26 PM
I think Elvis was over-rated

what did I learn from Elvis? Oh, that he said this.....

'The only thing Negroes can do for me is shine my shoes and buy my records"
 catkin2007
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/9/2008 3:01:55 PM
He was a nice man. I got to meet him a couple of times growing up. My uncle worked for RCA and he was huge then. Some of my favorite memories of meeting him were the fact he was always "nice" to everyone.

One thing I will never forget was my 13th birthday when I got to go to Aloha from Hawaii. One hell of a concert.
 rickxyz
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/18/2009 11:20:05 AM
I thought Elvis was cool...dying young is great for PR and record sales...
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > What does ELVIS mean to you?