Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Active and young, but can't slim down! Help!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 -SCORPIO-GIRL-
Msg: 26
Active and young, but can't slim down! Help!Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
WW was a good system with the whole point thing. It really makes you think. I found it hard because I am always hungry. But I did lose weight on it. But it is like anything else, once you stop you gain it back. I would try and figure out how much you eat (calorie wise) and how much you burn....perhaps you have hit a platue....perhaps you aren't eating enough with the amount that you are burning off and your body is holding on.
 Nowhere Man
Msg: 27
Active and young, but can't slim down! Help!
Posted: 11/20/2006 3:52:35 PM
I see a lot here about special diets and weight training, but not a lot about lifestyle (perhaps I missed it while skimming through the thread). My questions are:

- How often do you walk?
- How often do you ride a bike?
- How often do you take the stairs instead of the elevator?
- How often do you park in the FAR end of the parking lot?

Now, granted, I may be blessed with high metabolism, but to me "active" doesn't just mean working out. It means walking when I have to go somewhere less than 1 mile, and riding my bike when I have to go somewhere less than five miles. If I'm going into a tall building, I'll take the stairs when it's less than 6 floors up. And I really do park way in the back of the parking lot because a) it's easier to get a parking spot there; b) it only takes an extra 60 seconds or so to walk into the store.
 Force~of~Nature
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/20/2006 7:20:10 PM
If with all the good advice you don't see any noticeable results, you may want to think about asking your doctor for a thyroid test. If your thyroid is not working properly, it not only effects your weight, but many other areas of your health because your hormones are all out of wack. (sorry if the language is too technical for you all.... )
 Babylonia
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/20/2006 8:10:36 PM
Hi Erica,

I know you've got tons of replies and I haven't read them so chances are what I'm typing out here has already been stated.

With that out of the way....your target heartrate can be found here:

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html

Secondly, a big appetite isn't a bad thing at all so long as you are eating properly. If you can, if you haven't been already, stick to whole foods. Stick to food that has been the least altered by man (processed)....whole fruits.....whole vegetables (if you want them cooked, lightly steam them, leaving them crunchy. I say this because the more cooked they are, the more nutrients are zapped out of them.)

Here is another trick I used when I used to train and lost a lot of weight - we're talking 30 pounds and really toned and sculpted. In the mornings, I loaded up on carb foods like whole fruits and grains. I stayed away from milk and milk products because of the hormones (I found out it was milk....especially the skim, which was all I ever drank...that was giving me my acne!) but instead went for Brown Rice Milk that was vanilla flavoured. Natura is a good brand.

For lunch, I had 50/50 carbs and low fat protein. Vegetables were 'free' for me, and I'd squeeze lemon on them and use half salt and pepper. I'd have turkey breast, grilled chicken breast, or a can of tuna (not coldcuts since the carageenan in them, which is derived from seaweed but processed, was something I did not want in my body - not to mention the salt!). I only allowed myself canned tuna once a week, however. I'd also have salmon because of the Omegas, or I'd have nice piece of white fish like tilapia, sole or...sometimes....halibut.

Dinner would be almost entirely protein. Two boneless and skinless chicken breasts, marinated all day in balsamic vinegar, pure cold pressed olive oil, garlic, spice...grilled, and on a small bed of salad with a pump spray of pure olive oil and balsamic vinegar and lemon and lots of spices...I took total advantage of herbs and spices. I'd also have asparagus...you name it. Anything went with chicken breast.

If I had a sweet craving, I'd get some all natural peanut butter with raw honey, put it on apple wedges, or even bake some apple wedges with a bit of honey and cinnamon on them. I'd also bake yams with a bit of pure maple syrup (just a drizzle) and cinnamon. Bascially, I got creative and learned to cook all over again.

Learning to eat clean takes time, and it takes time to reintroduce your tastebuds to clean eating but after a while it's great. Like anything, it takes time to form a new habit (and unlearn old ones).

For exercise, I did 15 minutes of warm up on the treadmill or elliptical, stretch on the barre for 5-10 minutes, and then do my weight routine that I eventually split from 2's to 3's and then 4's.

2's 3's and 4's

In the beginning I just did an overall weight circuit. Upper body on day 1, lower on day 2, strictly cardio on day 3 (or sometimes take day 3 off and do cardio on day 4). This lasted for about a month - just to get my body used to hurting a bit and get it moving.

After about 3 weeks or so, our bodies start to get used to working out and we need to change it up to keep our bodies challenged. So I started doing my training in 3's. Day 1 for me was back muscles, biceps, abs. Day 2 was chest muscles, triceps, abs again. Day 3 was entirely lower. Again this went on while I did 15 minutes warm up on cardio, and 1/2 hour after my weight training. Stretched before I lifted weights, after each set, and after the weight train. I did this for months because I had a long way to go to shape up and I found that this was challenging enough. Doing my workouts this way was how I got the bulk of my weight loss and sculpting.

When I did the split into 4's, I was doing 2-3 exercises per area and cutting my body into quarters. I concentrated a lot on sculpting the glutes, the inner and outer thighs, the traps, triceps, deltoids, etc. I had that luxury because although I found it incredibly challenging, I was already 30 pounds thinner and much more fit. I couldn't have done it in the beginning. I began to experiment and also became friends with a lot of other people who trained at my gym and they gave me a ton of tips. I also really concentrated on my stabilizer muscles and this is also when I began to to the stiff legged dead lifts, squats, lunges, and use mostly free weights.

The way you work out is tailored to you. I followed a basic set up and then as I got to know my body all over again, I slowly started to experiment. In the beginning and for much of my journey in the gym (lol) I followed the K.I.S.S. method and kept to the main muscle groups until I knew that my smaller muscles were strengthened by working on the bigger muscles. I knew because I got to know my body and slowly tried new things. I also never did any heavy lifting unless I had a spotter, and even then I never found it necessary to lift crazy amounts of weight.

Just give yourself and your body some time to get re-acquainted with eachother. One thing that stuck with me and was sooooo true was actually visualizing my target area in my muscle. When you are doing your reps, concentrate on that muscle and feel it contracting, and where. I can't explain it other than like that, and I can't tell you how amazing my results were by making every rep count.
 lucidness
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2006 8:18:21 PM
One little tip also, protein fills you up faster and for longer than carbs. So the more protein you eat the quicker and longer you will be full, so lets say you have a hamburger and fries, eat the burger first adn you will be full before you are done your fires for instance, also another tip would be to take longer eating, after about 20 minutes your brain sends signals telling you that you are full, so if you take 20 min or so to eat your meal you wont be able to eat as much. Also carbs tend to make you hungry 20-45 minutes later, not so good, but carbs are essential so dont cut them out all together.

In regards to above^^^^^ I find mind-muscle connection to be very important to my workouts, my pecs are very nice because of it lol.
 Babylonia
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/20/2006 8:25:30 PM

One little tip also, protein fills you up faster and for longer than carbs.

Oh yes, this is so true. When I had an attack of the munchies, I'd munch on a grilled chicken breast reheated. It's kinda strange, I suppose, watching someone eating a piece of chicken breast in their hand (well, on a fork, lol), but it completely works and it's almost guilt-free (if you work out, IMO it's excellent protein and guilt-free and good for your muscles).

In regards to above^^^^^ I find mind-muscle connection to be very important to my workouts, my pecs are very nice because of it lol.

Ahhh, so I'm not the only one. It made the burn almost....cathartic.
 angelab
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/20/2006 8:29:14 PM
Yep, I'm going to agree with those who have said that you should raise your protein intake and be careful with your carbs and sugar.

Today I started with this eating plan that goes along with "The Abs Diet" (this thing that appears to be geared toward men, but I'm doing it anyway to get rid of the little bit of pudge around my midsection that won't go away no matter what).

Anyway, I track my food six out of seven days per week (I'm maintaining a 50 pound weight loss and I'm still new at this maintenance thing), and normally I eat about 100g of sugar per day and 75% of my diet was carbs, about 10 would be fats, and about 15 woudl be protein.

Today I managed to eat 21g of sugar, and my balance between carbs/fat/protein was about 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat (not saturated).

For the first time in YEARS I wasn't hungry all freaking day, I wasn't aching for candy, and I actually felt full. It's *amazing*
 lucidness
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2006 8:33:41 PM
A good way to keep track of your diet and is motivating also, is www.fitday.com, I keep a log there, gives you an idea of what your doing, figure out your BMR (basic metabolic rate)
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ go here for a calculator, once you did whats on that page go here http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/ to figure out your activity levels requirements of calories.

Fat loss = 12 - 13 calories per lb. of bodyweight
Maintenance (TDEE) = 15 - 16 calories per lb. of bodyweight
Weight gain: = 18 - 19 calories per lb. of bodyweight
 e is for erica
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/21/2006 7:37:00 AM
WOW WOW WOW!!!!

Thanks SO much you guys!!

I now have a notepad filled with great ideas, and cannot wait to apply them to my life.

I'm tired of people in "real" life telling me that I would be stunning if I just "slimmed down a little".

Now I'm ready to become that stunning woman everyone always tells me I can be!

Thanks!
 angelab
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/21/2006 7:50:59 AM
Good luck. :)

I will say this... Make sure you're doing this for the right reasons. When you do lose weight, some people will just find other things about your looks to throw thinly veiled insults at you about. Some of the people who used to tell me that I was too fat now tell me that I'm too skinny and I need to gain weight.

Do it for YOU and don't worry about what other people think of you.
 techguy
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/21/2006 8:12:22 AM
I've been slim for most of my life, but even I notice how easy it is to put weight on and how difficult it is to take it off.

I could EASILY gain 5-10 pounds of weight in a single week, yet it takes the better part of a month to get that kind of weight off for good.

Perhaps the biggest problem people have today is overeating. Food is so readily available that people tend to eat more than they need to. People eat when they're bored, etc.

The only weight loss solution (and people don't want to hear it) is:

1.) Exercise
2.) Eat less

(Note that I didn't say "eat right". I said eat LESS food.) That means everything, no matter how healthy you think it is for you. All food has calories in it and calories = energy which if it isn't used = fat. In fact, healthy foods often have as many calories as junk foods!!!

So basically the more the eat, the more you are FORCING yourself to exercise in order to maintain your existing body weight. If you forget about food during that initial hunger wave, you'll find that you can go many more hours before it hits again and you actually do need to eat.

If I ate all the food I wanted to in a day whenever I had the slight urge to eat something, I'd gain a pound a day.

angelab
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/21/2006 9:11:08 AM
I actually ate more when I was losing weight than I did when I was steadily gaining. Before I'd never eat breakfast, would eat something like a chicken sandwich and a few french fries for lunch, and I'd eat an enormous dinner with a bag full of cookies and an entire 2 liter coke for dinner.

Now I'm pretty much eating all day... I eat three meals and like four snacks, and it's rare to see me without some kind of food in my hands.
 techguy
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/21/2006 7:32:32 PM
"I actually ate more when I was losing weight than I did when I was steadily gaining. Before I'd never eat breakfast, would eat something like a chicken sandwich and a few french fries for lunch, and I'd eat an enormous dinner with a bag full of cookies and an entire 2 liter coke for dinner."

A 2 litre bottle of coke??? Holy crap.

"Now I'm pretty much eating all day... I eat three meals and like four snacks, and it's rare to see me without some kind of food in my hands."

You look like you're sad in your picture. Cheer up!

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting to see a bunch of slim girls talking about using diet pills. Everybody wants the quick fix and it doesn't exist. Or maybe people can't accept that the truth is so simple. They have to complicate it by purchasing expensive books on weight loss and taking special programs.

The body behaves in a very simplistic way. Anything that isn't burned off is stored as fat. If someone eats more calories in a day than they burn off, they will slowly gain weight. Eating junk food isn't good (because it has no food value to it), but healthy foods have roughly the same amount of calories in them, despite being good for you.

betterlate
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2007 9:03:52 PM
You may want to try going to the health food store and get this stuff, I have just been on a different post and it brought it all back to me, it is called Super Blue Green Algae and Natural Raw Guarana they will give you energy and reduce the appetite, also remember that working out will increase your appetite and if you reduce your food intake you will feel hungry and deprived on shakes... so eat the fruit and vegetables and try these natural foods, read up on how to start off slow, dont take it after noon... and see if it helps..

I am going to go and get some in the morning, I am so glad I found the other post, it reminded me about it, I wonder why I ever stopped taking it?
Good Luck!!!
BL
 whitestarmama
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/1/2007 9:47:10 PM
you might want to look at what type of food you're eating. you have to eat "good fats" (monounsaturated fats), "good carbs" (lots of fibre, low glycemic index), and lean protein options. for some of us we become very sensitive to spikes in blood sugar - in my case it's genetic - and it can cause a roller coaster of cravings, gorging, cravings again. if i eat too many carbs at one time or have a meal that has a very high glycemic index.. i end up feeling weak and dizzy soon after and need to eat again. if however i eat less sugar, less refined carbs, and combine lower-GI carbs with fibre, protein, and a little bit of good fat (all of which blunt the effect on blood sugar plus slow digestion down thereby making me feel full longer) i end up eating much less in total, plus i feel better while i'm at it, because i don't end up with the blood sugar swings. if you happen to have a lot of type 2 diabetes in your extended family, it might be a red flag that you're prone to the same effect i've described here. a rule of thumb is - the closer it is to nature, the better it is. the more refined/processed it is, the more you have to restrict it.
 hydrogen
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/2/2007 1:26:30 PM
"The body behaves in a very simplistic way. Anything that isn't burned off is stored as fat. If someone eats more calories in a day than they burn off, they will slowly gain weight. Eating junk food isn't good (because it has no food value to it), but healthy foods have roughly the same amount of calories in them, despite being good for you."

Yep. Most people just can't handle the truth.

Eating one EXTRA large apple a day will put one pound of fat on you in a month.
 Whatbleep?
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 10:47:02 AM
Hi Erica,

I would have to disagree with some of the comments that weight loss is a question of simple mathematics. This is not true. A lot of women have suboptimal thyroid issues and they are unable to gain weight by simply reducing calories, etc. If you find that your hands and feet are always cold alot of the time and your weight is unaffected by your weightloss efforts, these could be symptoms of suboptimal thyroid and math isn't going to help you with that.

To look into suboptimal thyroid, I would suggest you look at nutitional expert, Lorna Vanderhaghe's website. http://healthyimmunity.com/ Put "thyroid" in the search bar and you will get three articles, one which will explain a home test you can do to see if you have suboptimal thyroid and two others explaining symptoms and how the thyroid works in your body. You can also just google thyroid symptoms and you can find many other resources. There are also other hormones that if out of balance will affect weight.

Stress can seriously effect your body's hormonal balance and this will also cause you to gain weight so if you are experiencing alot of stress you will probably have to find ways of getting your stress level down if you want to lose weight.

If you aren't getting sore after exercising it may be because you are quite fit and you aren't changing up your routine. Another reason simple math doesn't really cover off the weight loss equation is because everyone's metabolic rate is not the same. The more muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolism will be at rest. Therefore, adding muscle mass through weight training will help you lose weight and give you a leaner and more defined physique.

Also, I would like to say that having a healthy appetite is a good thing. The more you exercise the more calories your body needs but I would agree with many people who talked about protein and sugar (hormonal) balancing and considering the types of fats you are eating and being sure to have some monounsaturated fats with each meal (almonds, peanut butter, olives or olive oil, etc). I would be careful about eating too little through low calorie diets, which is counterproductive because it will lower your metabolism and your body will start to store everything instead of burning it. If you have done this in the past, it may take time for your body to get the message that you are not going to starve it again.

Too much sugar sets up cravings and will increase your appetite and throws off your body's hormonal balance. Eating balanced protein/carb meals will resolve that issue

It is also very important that your digestive tract is efficient to eliminate what your eating. Poor digestion will result in weight gain. For one thing, if you are not eliminating what you eat efficiently, your body will be storing toxins. Alot of processed foods contain harmful chemicals which emulate estrogen and too much estrogen or pseudo estrogens in your body will cause you to gain weight especially around the stomach area. Also if your digestion is poor then you are not absorbing the nutritional content of food. This will result in food cravings (hunger) as your body tries to get the nutrition it needs. Poor nutrition your body's capacity to function properly and heal itself and will contribute to weight gain. Therefore, avoiding too many processed foods and eating lots of veggies and fruits for fibre and nutrition is important to keep your digestive system efficient.

I also want to echo the comments others made that it is possible that your weight is ok as it is. I can't tell from looking at your profile photos either but some people (especially women) think they are overweight when they aren't and some healthy body types have more fat in certain areas than others. Again, if you want a leaner physique, weight training will help.
 Whatbleep?
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:11:40 AM
Oh! And I forgot to add one more thing for the mathematicians out there. Fat itself is a vicious cycle because the more fat you have in your body, the more fat-producing hormones your body produces. So weight loss is not an equal battle for all.

Women have a different ball field to deal with than men do because we are supposed to have a slightly higher percentage of fat than men to begin with and because of our different hormonal make up overall required for childbearing. Of course, hormones effect men as well. After 30 both men and women stop producing as much of the hormones that promote a lean physique and alot of men start to grow breasts and large stomachs because of too much estrogen and pseudo estrogens accumulating in their system.
 meeeeouch
Msg: 44
JPitalian
Posted: 5/30/2007 8:07:30 PM
you're smokin' hot -- what about your friend in your pictures -- is he single??
 PHK
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/30/2007 8:09:10 PM
80% of results are from what you eat
 mystifiedu
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/10/2007 8:05:35 PM
Well the best things to do are cut out the wheat products especially bread and sweet desserts like cake, cookies , pies ect. Cut out the sugar ,try to cut out the food you buy in a package and if you can't do that than read the ingredients and don't buy anything with any kind of sugar in it this includes any sucrose , dextrose, fructose ,ect. and something you may want to research on the internet is ----Super amino acids suppliment by SON FORMULA . Works great kills the cravings. Also try to keep your body on a more alkalyn level. Organic sulphur is good for this (MSM ) Try to find a good pure MSM if you deside to try this out and research it on the internet and find out more about it there first before you start taking anything whether it be a suppliment or medication or what ever so you know the pluses and minuses of the product and so you also know how the product works and what other people have to say about it.
 breezydays
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/11/2007 8:38:43 AM
absolutley do not skip meals if you eat protiene at every meal you can beat the hunger bug
i take green tea extract
and now im never hungry the old fashion advice eat breakfast is the one thing besides working out that has helped me shed pounds and inches!
that an adequate water intake
if you fall off the wagon diet wize you just get backon it!
a trainertold me that stalls and plateaus are your bodys way of telling you to switch up your programe maybe up theweights you are lifting split your cardio from all of it before you start to workout to atl east10 minutes post workout!
just whats working for me i guess
 lhunt29
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2007 8:57:40 AM
When i was on a major cleans a few years ago i ate lots but only certain foods. The diet was a bit boring but i lost lots. The foods I ate were brown rice and steamed or blendered vegetables. I had to eliminate wheat, meat and dairy. The hardest part of this diet is meals are only available at home.
 Paprikash!
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/12/2007 11:04:39 AM
I have to agree with d-rock - I think you may be pushing your body too hard and it is going into stress mode, where you will not lose weight. Your body needs a chance to recharge the batteries after a hard workout, so you might lay off the hard sessions and do them every other day. Are you getting enough sleep? That will also stall your progress. If these things don't work, then maybe check with a doctor re: thyroid function.
 Kitelnine
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/14/2007 7:08:32 PM
I think that everyone is right. The same happened to me, I had what I thought was an intense workout regiment. Untill one day I trained with a trainer, usually I train for three hours and go home a little sore. I trained with this trainer for 30 minutes and limped all the way home. Today, I am seeing terrific results, alot of males are complimenting me and saying that I am thick instead of fat. However, I still am a plus size woman, it's just more shapely and tight.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Active and young, but can't slim down! Help!