Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Active and young, but can't slim down! Help!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 e is for erica
Msg: 26
Active and young, but can't slim down! Help!Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
WOW WOW WOW!!!!

Thanks SO much you guys!!

I now have a notepad filled with great ideas, and cannot wait to apply them to my life.

I'm tired of people in "real" life telling me that I would be stunning if I just "slimmed down a little".

Now I'm ready to become that stunning woman everyone always tells me I can be!

Thanks!
 angelab
Msg: 27
Active and young, but can't slim down! Help!
Posted: 11/21/2006 7:50:59 AM
Good luck. :)

I will say this... Make sure you're doing this for the right reasons. When you do lose weight, some people will just find other things about your looks to throw thinly veiled insults at you about. Some of the people who used to tell me that I was too fat now tell me that I'm too skinny and I need to gain weight.

Do it for YOU and don't worry about what other people think of you.
 techguy
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/21/2006 8:12:22 AM
I've been slim for most of my life, but even I notice how easy it is to put weight on and how difficult it is to take it off.

I could EASILY gain 5-10 pounds of weight in a single week, yet it takes the better part of a month to get that kind of weight off for good.

Perhaps the biggest problem people have today is overeating. Food is so readily available that people tend to eat more than they need to. People eat when they're bored, etc.

The only weight loss solution (and people don't want to hear it) is:

1.) Exercise
2.) Eat less

(Note that I didn't say "eat right". I said eat LESS food.) That means everything, no matter how healthy you think it is for you. All food has calories in it and calories = energy which if it isn't used = fat. In fact, healthy foods often have as many calories as junk foods!!!

So basically the more the eat, the more you are FORCING yourself to exercise in order to maintain your existing body weight. If you forget about food during that initial hunger wave, you'll find that you can go many more hours before it hits again and you actually do need to eat.

If I ate all the food I wanted to in a day whenever I had the slight urge to eat something, I'd gain a pound a day.

angelab
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/21/2006 9:11:08 AM
I actually ate more when I was losing weight than I did when I was steadily gaining. Before I'd never eat breakfast, would eat something like a chicken sandwich and a few french fries for lunch, and I'd eat an enormous dinner with a bag full of cookies and an entire 2 liter coke for dinner.

Now I'm pretty much eating all day... I eat three meals and like four snacks, and it's rare to see me without some kind of food in my hands.
 techguy
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/21/2006 7:32:32 PM
"I actually ate more when I was losing weight than I did when I was steadily gaining. Before I'd never eat breakfast, would eat something like a chicken sandwich and a few french fries for lunch, and I'd eat an enormous dinner with a bag full of cookies and an entire 2 liter coke for dinner."

A 2 litre bottle of coke??? Holy crap.

"Now I'm pretty much eating all day... I eat three meals and like four snacks, and it's rare to see me without some kind of food in my hands."

You look like you're sad in your picture. Cheer up!

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting to see a bunch of slim girls talking about using diet pills. Everybody wants the quick fix and it doesn't exist. Or maybe people can't accept that the truth is so simple. They have to complicate it by purchasing expensive books on weight loss and taking special programs.

The body behaves in a very simplistic way. Anything that isn't burned off is stored as fat. If someone eats more calories in a day than they burn off, they will slowly gain weight. Eating junk food isn't good (because it has no food value to it), but healthy foods have roughly the same amount of calories in them, despite being good for you.

betterlate
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2007 9:03:52 PM
You may want to try going to the health food store and get this stuff, I have just been on a different post and it brought it all back to me, it is called Super Blue Green Algae and Natural Raw Guarana they will give you energy and reduce the appetite, also remember that working out will increase your appetite and if you reduce your food intake you will feel hungry and deprived on shakes... so eat the fruit and vegetables and try these natural foods, read up on how to start off slow, dont take it after noon... and see if it helps..

I am going to go and get some in the morning, I am so glad I found the other post, it reminded me about it, I wonder why I ever stopped taking it?
Good Luck!!!
BL
 whitestarmama
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/1/2007 9:47:10 PM
you might want to look at what type of food you're eating. you have to eat "good fats" (monounsaturated fats), "good carbs" (lots of fibre, low glycemic index), and lean protein options. for some of us we become very sensitive to spikes in blood sugar - in my case it's genetic - and it can cause a roller coaster of cravings, gorging, cravings again. if i eat too many carbs at one time or have a meal that has a very high glycemic index.. i end up feeling weak and dizzy soon after and need to eat again. if however i eat less sugar, less refined carbs, and combine lower-GI carbs with fibre, protein, and a little bit of good fat (all of which blunt the effect on blood sugar plus slow digestion down thereby making me feel full longer) i end up eating much less in total, plus i feel better while i'm at it, because i don't end up with the blood sugar swings. if you happen to have a lot of type 2 diabetes in your extended family, it might be a red flag that you're prone to the same effect i've described here. a rule of thumb is - the closer it is to nature, the better it is. the more refined/processed it is, the more you have to restrict it.
 hydrogen
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/2/2007 1:26:30 PM
"The body behaves in a very simplistic way. Anything that isn't burned off is stored as fat. If someone eats more calories in a day than they burn off, they will slowly gain weight. Eating junk food isn't good (because it has no food value to it), but healthy foods have roughly the same amount of calories in them, despite being good for you."

Yep. Most people just can't handle the truth.

Eating one EXTRA large apple a day will put one pound of fat on you in a month.
 meeeeouch
Msg: 34
JPitalian
Posted: 5/30/2007 8:07:30 PM
you're smokin' hot -- what about your friend in your pictures -- is he single??
 PHK
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/30/2007 8:09:10 PM
80% of results are from what you eat
 mystifiedu
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/10/2007 8:05:35 PM
Well the best things to do are cut out the wheat products especially bread and sweet desserts like cake, cookies , pies ect. Cut out the sugar ,try to cut out the food you buy in a package and if you can't do that than read the ingredients and don't buy anything with any kind of sugar in it this includes any sucrose , dextrose, fructose ,ect. and something you may want to research on the internet is ----Super amino acids suppliment by SON FORMULA . Works great kills the cravings. Also try to keep your body on a more alkalyn level. Organic sulphur is good for this (MSM ) Try to find a good pure MSM if you deside to try this out and research it on the internet and find out more about it there first before you start taking anything whether it be a suppliment or medication or what ever so you know the pluses and minuses of the product and so you also know how the product works and what other people have to say about it.
 breezydays
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/11/2007 8:38:43 AM
absolutley do not skip meals if you eat protiene at every meal you can beat the hunger bug
i take green tea extract
and now im never hungry the old fashion advice eat breakfast is the one thing besides working out that has helped me shed pounds and inches!
that an adequate water intake
if you fall off the wagon diet wize you just get backon it!
a trainertold me that stalls and plateaus are your bodys way of telling you to switch up your programe maybe up theweights you are lifting split your cardio from all of it before you start to workout to atl east10 minutes post workout!
just whats working for me i guess
 lhunt29
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2007 8:57:40 AM
When i was on a major cleans a few years ago i ate lots but only certain foods. The diet was a bit boring but i lost lots. The foods I ate were brown rice and steamed or blendered vegetables. I had to eliminate wheat, meat and dairy. The hardest part of this diet is meals are only available at home.
 Paprikash!
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/12/2007 11:04:39 AM
I have to agree with d-rock - I think you may be pushing your body too hard and it is going into stress mode, where you will not lose weight. Your body needs a chance to recharge the batteries after a hard workout, so you might lay off the hard sessions and do them every other day. Are you getting enough sleep? That will also stall your progress. If these things don't work, then maybe check with a doctor re: thyroid function.
 Kitelnine
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/14/2007 7:08:32 PM
I think that everyone is right. The same happened to me, I had what I thought was an intense workout regiment. Untill one day I trained with a trainer, usually I train for three hours and go home a little sore. I trained with this trainer for 30 minutes and limped all the way home. Today, I am seeing terrific results, alot of males are complimenting me and saying that I am thick instead of fat. However, I still am a plus size woman, it's just more shapely and tight.
 A Cinnamon Girl
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/15/2007 8:04:27 AM
Something a lot of people forget that many people do not consider is how well do you sleep? If you are stressed (full time job /kids / work stress) and don't get a proper amount of sleep, you will always look "puffy." Your body can not wind down and properly flush your system out, and reenergize / repair your body. Extra weight hanging around your middle is usually a sign of stress. Maybe a bit of yoga or meditation even just 5 minutes before bed time may give you a quality rest. You should be getting about 7 to 8 hours of GOOD sleep.

Also, if you find you have successfully written down everything you eat, look at the portion sized, calorie count, etc. and it looks okay, you may have food allergies you don't know about and that will give you a bit of weight gain. I found out I have wheat and dairy allergies. When I changed my diet over, I had no bloating in my stomach anymore and dropped 7 pounds.

Good Luck!!
Carol
 manofoar
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/21/2007 6:35:39 PM
One thing that helped me reduce my appetite was actually by drinking more water (not sugary drinks, just water). Right now I drink about a gallon of water a day. Since my job's a desk job, all I did to make it convenient was to get a small 2 gallon water dispenser, and then I fill it up every other day. When I feel thirsty or feel like I want a sweet snack or something, I first drink some water and that usually eliminates the tendancy, to the point where NOW I actually know when I'm truly hungry as opposed to just thirsty.

Thirsty = general restlessness, the kinda feeling where you open the fridge, stare at everything, and figure that you're not hungry enough to eat it.

Hungry = an actual sensation localized in my stomach.

One thing I like is to drink my water at room temp, unless it's hot out. So, at the office, I don't worry about refrigerating my water

Also, from the sound of your workout, it may be time to change things up a bit. The body is amazingly good at adapting, and you need to stay ahead of the game and make sure that your workout takes that into account. If you do the same thing every day, the effect it produces will go from a lot (at first), to the same small amount every time. If you switch up exercises, swap out cardio for weights, do heavy weights a few times, cross train, etc. You keep your body on its toes and force it to get out of its comfort zone.

Finally, the really tough thing to do is to not just go on a diet, but truly change your eating habits, forever. This doesn't have to mean eliminating your favorite foods, just eating less of them, and incorporating those "horrible" veggies :). One thing I found is that once I started maintaining hydration, stopped eating fast food, and reduced my sugar intake, vegetables actually tasted very good again.

All that "easy" flavour (sugar, salt, high spice stuff) kinda numbed my taste sense. Once I reduced it, fruits became almost overpowering in their taste and richness, and vegetables stopped tasting like sawdust, and started tasting like food.
 Lauroo
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/23/2007 4:05:14 PM
My advice is stop doing so much bloody cardio and start lifting heavy, or heavier at least. High reps with low resistance isn't going to do much. Build some muscle and your body begins burning more calories naturally because of increased metabolism.

Eat 6 smaller meals a day, every 2-3 hours, instead of 3 squares.

Reduce calories but don't do anything drastic. Common problem, especially with women, is they start eating 1200 calories per day and their body reacts by going into starvation mode, just like a bear in hibernation. Calculate your BMR, times that by your activity level and you have your daily caloric requirements. Then try reducing that by 20% max for weight loss and keep your cardio going. You are better off eating more and exercising more rather than reducing calories too low.

Try looking into a fitness program rather than trying to problem solve on your own. Something like Body For Life is a good beginner's program and it works!

Lauren
 littledana
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/23/2007 9:01:18 PM
I'm not sure how long you have been trying to loose weight, but I'm talk to your doctor. Maybe get your thyroid checked. You thyroid test can come back "normal", but if it is the low side of normal then you might still benefit from a small amount of medication.

This is difficult to say without seeing you in person, and knowing exactly what you are doing. I carry my weight in my stomach area too. It sucks!!!! So try watching your glysemic (SP?) levels. Fruit can contain alot of sugars. I'd still eat carbs, but eat complex ones. I think balance is best. Also, I have found that I cannot eat beef, it makes me bloated and I don't have a bowel movement for like a week... Oh and vitamins are good, as our foods don't contain the same amount of nutrients as they did at one time. You could also not be eating enough of the right foods. There are soooo many factors to consider.

So go to your doctor first and see what s/he says. Everyone has their own opinion, doctors often know best. And if nothing comes from that talk to a natural path. But shop for a good one in your area.

Hope this helps. Oh and you are a pretty woman and you should change your body type to average. To me a few extra pounds is the nice wayof saying obese.

D
 ___James___
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2011 10:14:13 PM
If you're still around to read this thread:

Weight gain is primarily caused by hormone imbalance, despite what all of the "experts" tell you. So that said, you may want to see a naturopathic doctor who can help you to balance your hormone levels.

After that, get off all sugars and starches. [Careful, they put high fructose corn syrup (i.e. "corn sugar") in just about everything these days!] Sugars and starches spike your insulin levels which is what causes your body to store fat. Not to mention the fact that spikes in insulin levels lead to an unbelievable number of diseases. The "experts" will tell you that weight gain is caused by eating too many calories or by a high fat diet -- but this is an absolutely FALSE.

Lastly, dump the cardio and choose interval training instead. Studies show that interval training is far more beneficial than cardio. (Example: Sprint hard for 10 seconds, rest for 2 minutes, then repeat).

On a side note, you may want to search the internet for a video titled, "Sugar: The bitter truth". It explains the problems with sugar -- especially fructose -- in great detail.

Hope this helps! (I know that it will).
 satx78218
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2011 5:10:57 AM
The most reliable path to weight loss and lean weight maintenance is nutrition, not exercise.

To lose weight, eat well.

To be fit, exercise.

Lots of fatties have been suckered into excruciating exercise programs (but most people don't keep it up more than 6 months, ask the health club chains) but are still fat. They're probably proud of their useless efforts, but they're only fit, not slim (and frustrated).

I'm not talking about "dieting". That's $60B/year scam that fails for 95% of dieters.
 Cat4Christ777
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/8/2011 6:56:45 PM
Hi, Erica!

How much water do you drink during the course of each day?

I'm not talking about the water used for tea, or any other drink/meal. I'm talking pure water, all by itself. Many doctors recommend drinking 8 glasses (8 oz) of water per day, totalling 64 ozs. Not all at once, mind; but throughout the day.

Way back, when I was 27, I joined the Air Force. I was a few pounds overweight when I joined, but not enough to be put on their "Chunky Chicken" diet plan. For my own purposes, I ate chicken (skinless & baked, not fried) for nearly every meal during 'basic training.' However, I believe one of the primary reasons I lost 17 pounds during those 6 weeks was the AF's requirement that everyone drink two 8 oz glasses of water before each meal. We could drink whatever we wanted during our meals, but before we even sat down to eat, we had to drink those glasses of water.

Later, I found out that drinking 16 ozs of water before meals helps the body process the food better--and helps to reduce the amount of calories we can eat in our meals.

So, give water a try, and if you don't see results after a month or so, I would recommend seeing your doctor. There may be a real medical reason you're not losing weight in those specific areas.

I hope it works for you! Take care!
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/8/2011 8:11:51 PM

I'm not talking about the water used for tea, or any other drink/meal. I'm talking pure water, all by itself. Many doctors recommend drinking 8 glasses (8 oz) of water per day, totalling 64 ozs. Not all at once, mind; but throughout the day

The body does not discriminate between waters.

There is water in everything we eat and drink and it all counts the same.

Also, 8 Glasses of water a day is a myth that was started somewhere near the end of the second world war and since been proven to be a false claim.

Later, I found out that drinking 16 ozs of water before meals helps the body process the food better--and helps to reduce the amount of calories we can eat in our meals.

The only thing that is going to help your body process the food more efficiently is to chew it more.
 4rumninja
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/9/2011 11:06:09 AM
I drink water everyday lots of it..milk sometimes and gatorade or something if I have been really active...seems to be working am in pretty decent shape...drinking water is good for more than losing weight it helps our bodies become more efficient ....Losing weight is not easy..just need to experiment and find a healthy way for you to lose....I cut weight to fight..what works for me is to run fast and around 3 miles a day and lift couple of days a week...eat relatively healthy and of course drink my water...
 satx78218
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2011 1:22:05 PM
"Many doctors recommend drinking 8 glasses (8 oz) of water per day"

Really? Evidence-based recommendation? Can you show the evidence?

There was a study that researched all the other studies on personal water consumption, and there was no evidence or study anywhere for a recommendation of 8 x 8 oz, and therefore no scientific evidence of the benefit of 8 x 8 oz.

iow, a complete myth.

I wouldn't be surprised if the corporate water bottlers were behind that myth.

8 x 8 0z is 1/2 gallon water per day. In addition to the water from food (assuming lots of fresh fruit and veg), that's a lot of trips to the toilet.

You don't need to drink water with meals. A healthy digestive system doesn't need or want its digestive action, juices diluted with water. There should be plenty of water in the fruit and veg at every meal.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Active and young, but can't slim down! Help!