Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Active and young, but can't slim down! Help!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bnong
Msg: 77
Active and young, but can't slim down! Help!Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I am a 25 year-old woman. I do atleast 45 minutes of intense cardio daily wherein my heartrate stays in the 160's. I weight train with high reps of light wieghts. I do Pilates 2x a week. My body never gets sore and I never feel any result.

I have had three children, my youngest 2 years old. Don't know if that matters...

I have been experimenting with the different diets that are out there these days. I have a large appetite, so drinking shakes and such is not something that I can do as a lifestyle. I am now scared of carbs, fat, sugar, and protein, lol. I generally eat a diet of lots of fruits and veggies, salads, eggs, oatmeal, chicken, ect.

My problem is that I can never seem to slim down. I am more on the voluptuous side..not obese, but in definate need of weight loss. Most of my weight is carried in my stomach and hips.

I was hoping that some of you might have an idea of where I am going wrong. Whether you can recommend a diet or certain workout regimine, I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Erica

1. Stop doing 45 minutes of "intense" cardio. First it's impossible to do 45 minutes of intense cardio. You're wasting 45 minutes of your day with that, unless you're doing it for pleasure or recreation. If you want to use cardio to slim down, you actually do have to get intense, which requires shorter workouts (15-20 minutes) and short bursts cycled with longer rests.

2. Stop being afraid of food. When trying to lose weight you want to up your protein intake. You want to be taking about 1-1.6 grams of protein per pound of LBM. Since it's hard for everybody to calculate your LBM then 1-1.6 grams per pound of bodyweight is fine. Protein is the most important macronutrient you put in to your body, don't be afraid of it.

3. Count your calories. You want to be on a calorie deficit of about 600-800 calories a day. 1 gram of protein = 4 kcals, 1 gram of carbs = 4 kcals, 1 gram of fat = 9 kcals.

For how to calculate exactly how many calories you need to maintain body weight, and lose or gain bodyweight.. Emma @ bodybuilding.com has put together a pretty thorough method of calculation, that you can find here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

4. Stop with the fad diets.

5. Don't discount shakes. In order to take in the amount of protein your body needs, some it is going to have to be liquid. Which btw, digesting a whey shake is more thermogenic than whole food (who would have thought that?)

6. Stop reading crap in magazines that has been discounted. It doesn't matter how frequently you eat, or portion size. It's all about daily caloric intake. You can eat 10 times, or two times. Makes no difference. I find I feel more full throughout the day eating 4 large meals as opposed to 6 small meals. I eat less junk food that way as well.

7. Don't deny yourself things you like. You can eat sweets, you can have a soda here and there. You can have pasta. The biggest thing you want to focus on is getting your macronutrient needs, and staying at a caloric deficit for a period of time. Don't always stay in a deficit.

8. Read this article by Alan Aragon about eating clean. Might just change your life.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

Hope that helps, good luck.

ALL4HaShem
Msg: 78
Active and young, but can't slim down! Help!
Posted: 9/5/2011 10:40:29 AM
Antiquated Dietary Thinking:

Calories - Burn more than you eat & you'll lose weight. So, it doesn't matter so much what we eat, so long as we exercise...

Accurate Dietary Thinking:

ACID CAUSES FAT!

Eat alkaline - as much & as often as you prefer - and lose weight, improve your health, and increase your vitality.

FRESH GREEN VEGGIES - Especially leafy green & high water content veggie - are best!

Canned, frozen, boiled & DEEPLY COOKED veggies are not good for our health & body weight.

2/3 of Americans die from either heart disease or cancer.

In America, we're digging our graves with our teeth!

The alklaine dietary lifestyle will improve your health, end struggles with weight, increase your physical energy levels & make you FEEL GREAT!

Yes, it's counter-cultural, unpopular & a disciplined behavior. But, aren't you worth the truth?
 satx78218
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2011 7:09:48 PM
"no starches or sugar"

that does it for me, without the HCG. :)

You couldn't pay me to take gonadal hormones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chorionic_gonadotropin

Whey concentrate (not isolate) + egg white protein, plus some almonds, walnuts, pistachios, fruit, in the largisth morning blender drink holds off the hunger well past lunch. A teaspoon of cinnamon stabilizes the insulin/serum glucose.

the fast carbs are what causes the that very nasty hormone insulin in to spike, which spikes the triglycerides, to be stored as fat, then the insulin crashes, you feel like crap (like whiny baby before his bottle or meal), and then you look for your next fix of fast carbs. Spike your insulin for years, you end up with Type II diabetes (as millions have done and many more are on well oh their way).
 sassyscorpiochick
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/18/2011 10:52:02 PM
I agree. I drink a whey protein shake every morning and I stay away from all white carbs. If I eat carbs, it's strawberries, or blueberries.

I lost all my excess weight over 5 years ago eating like this, and I haven't gained any of it back.
Counting calories never worked for me. My body does not react the same way to a 120 calorie whey protein shake in the morning as it does to the same 120 calories from a bowl of cereal.
 Justmytypewriter
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2011 12:29:37 AM

scubadiver6911 wrote:
I found a new and easy way to lose weight, it called the HCG Diet, you take 15 drops into a spoon [...]

Scubadiver, how many times are you going to post that scam in this thread? Wasn't one time more than enough? Did you really have to repeat those false claims? Really?

You have also posted the very same scam in yet another thread: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts13194814.aspx#14546017

Enough with you scamming already!
 shmodzilla
Msg: 82
Posted: 9/19/2011 12:17:37 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned it. But sprints help me lose body fat MUCH better than steady running. I do both, mixing it up in any workout is huge for almost any desired result. When i sprint i usually walk (fast, like 4 mph for me) a 1/4 mile and sprint (again a pretty good pace 9 mph or so for me) a mile, for about 4-6 miles. Sprints are more fun for me as well instead of that steady boring hour jog.
 Bnong
Msg: 83
Posted: 9/19/2011 1:12:34 PM
the fast carbs are what causes the that very nasty hormone insulin in to spike, which spikes the triglycerides, to be stored as fat, then the insulin crashes, you feel like crap (like whiny baby before his bottle or meal), and then you look for your next fix of fast carbs. Spike your insulin for years, you end up with Type II diabetes (as millions have done and many more are on well oh their way).

Strong lack of understand of insulin and how it works. First lol @ fast carbs. Second eating food is what causes your insulin to spike. In fact protein spikes insulin at least as much as carbs do, probably more so. Insulin doesn't crash whatever that means. Third spiking insulin isn't what causes people to be diabetic. There are a multitude of causes, but the inability to spike insulin is the end result. Normal people have a reserve in their pancreas that is released upon eating to drive the glucose into the needed tissues. Type II diabetics don't have this reserve. Insulin isn't nasty.
 RAYMONDVSRAYRAY
Msg: 84
Posted: 9/19/2011 3:04:43 PM
i lost over 8olbs by changing my eating habits i stop eating animals and start eating
freash raw vegetables and fruits. i weaned myself away by cutting out dairy acconuting for 40 lbs alone a real big deal for me im a vegan from being a vegetarian and im never going back to how most people eat its ironic how everyone i know that has or had a health issue were not water drinkers or vegetarians and excersize no pun intented my play on words dont stop moving for your well being mentally and physically and especially emotionally it all changed for me when i changed what i was eating and where too more at home instend of canned and bagged foods i feel more closer to the creator of all things for my changes i feel great now 80lbs is not just it

checkout http://ravediet.com/

I pray you find your best health soon.

with love

raymond
 modivin
Msg: 85
Posted: 9/28/2011 2:14:14 PM
If it hasn't been suggested yet, have your thyroid levels checked for Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's Disease. Typical among women, pregnancy can certainly trigger an issue. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hashimotos-disease/DS00567

If all T hormones come back (all as in there are more then just T3/T4 that need to be checked for Hashimotos) normal or not....

Learn to respect food. It is your fuel. There is no reason to be afraid of it. Eat a balanced meal every time with protein/Carbs (low glycemic)/healthy fats. Look into the Caveman Diet also called the Paleo diet.
Change up your routine. Your body plateaus easily. From the trainer standpoint, it doesn't sound like you are challenging your body enough or changing your routine much either. I don't know if you have access to a trainer, if you do, find someone who can show you cross fit exercises. Otherwise, I would go on their website and watch you tube videos on Cross Fit. You don't have to belong to a CF gym, but can pull up the workout of the day (WOD), and incorporate that into your weekly routine.
Another factor to consider is your stress level. You can eat the cleanest diet, do all the right moves for your body, but if you have stress then that will play with your hormones, releasing cortisol which goes right to the abdomen.
 buddha_groove
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2011 4:31:42 PM
I know this is a very old thread but there is SO MUCH MISINFORMATION posted here that I had to respond. Not only incorrect info but TOO MUCH. Let's face it, a person who is seeking weight loss advice on POF is probably seeking the easiest solution possible. Here it is:

To lose 1 pound per week, you must burn 500 calories per day or reduce your daily food intake by 500 calories. Simple. That's it. That's the only thing you need to know. Forget everything else, including "don't eat after 6pm" or "don't eat white carbs". You can reduce the 500 calories any way that you want- less pasta, less meat, less soda, whatever. You can also burn the calories any way you want- biking, walking, swimming, etc. You can do a combination of less calories and exercise. It's pretty simple.

Here is the simple truth. People who try to make weight loss complicated are generally one of two types a)they're trying to sell some pill or book or diet formula or b)trying to make an excuse as to why they haven't lost weight.
 buddha_groove
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2011 4:33:59 PM
Edit to my post:
"you must burn 500 ADDITIONAL calories per day"
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Active and young, but can't slim down! Help!