Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LIFES_GOOD
Msg: 228
Is Intelligence Captivating...............Page 6 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I couldn't fall in love with a girl who wasn't intelligent, just isn't possible for me. A girl that's beautiful physically means nothing to me if I can't have a conversation with her.

The phyiscal attraction I have towards someone has to be there, but it usually doesn't grab me until I've had an opportunity to talk to her. When you throw in intelligence and a great personality...a good looking girl, can easily turn into one of the most beautiful girls in the world.
 subtle_savage
Msg: 229
view profile
History
Is Intelligence Captivating...............
Posted: 1/13/2007 1:41:40 AM
The wonderful thing about intelligence is that everyone pretty much thinks they are.

One needs only hang out with people a few notches down on the iq score to feel brilliant, regardless of ones starting point.

I remember fondly one comment I had sent to me on this subject:

"Oh ya, eh. Day's is stupid. Kant even reed 'n rite. Like dar so stupid day's don't even nose it eh. Dam stupid fvckers ain't good for them nuffin."
 texerotic2
Msg: 231
Posted: 1/13/2007 8:42:20 PM
Intelligence is of the utmost importance, because without it, so many
other facets of a wonderful relationship are missing. One can not
have a truly enjoyable and meaningful conversation with someone who is
"intelligence-deficient". And a meaningful conversation is just as erotic
and intimate, on an intellectual level; as the most passionate love making
is, on a physical level. And without intelligence, a person really can not have
a charismatic personality.

But, intelligence by itself is not enough. There also has to be awareness
of the world around us, and knowledge of things such as current events,
history, world affairs, etc. If an intelligent person can't converse about
anything other than last night's episode of "American Idol", for example,
then any meaningful relationship is unlikely.
 Charm1ngMuse
Msg: 235
Posted: 1/19/2007 6:22:08 AM
I think you can discern intelligence immediately in a person unless they are purposefully dumbing down. Personally, I find that people with intelligence have a good grasp of the English language (usually pre-Tequila). Their ability to use it appropriately isn't necessarily a hallmark of their educational level, but more so of their experience and predisposition to absorb the lessons learned. Those who comprehend the difference between they're and their automatically deserve my respect : )

I choose the path of awareness by reading, watching and listening to resources for information about our world, local and global. I find it difficult to converse for long with someone who hasn't thought about the Iraq War, or the Christmas Typhoon in Southeast Asia or other events and people who affect us as humankind. Those who don't contain their lives to their own tiny corner of the universe usually intrigue and captivate me.

Remember kiddos... Use the English language, or any language for that matter, in a grammatically correct manner and you will always SOUND intelligent even if you feel that you aren't up to snuff.

P.S. Just don't dangle your participles in front of a hungry tiger for they are crunchy and taste like chicken!

Tsinygosim
Msg: 242
Posted: 1/19/2007 1:20:04 PM
How to get women to think you're intelligent:

1) Be good-looking
2) Be attractive.
3) Pay lots of attention to her.
4) Say little enough to allow her to fill in the blanks with her own fantasies

If you're smart enough to sign your name in a checkbook and avoid wearing different shades of black at the same time, most women will think you are friggin' Steven Hawking.
 Richard_Corey
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2008 7:38:28 PM
Intelligence is a curse.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2008 5:12:45 AM
The type of intelligence that "does it" for me is a love of words and word-play, an inherent curiosity about people and life and appreciation for books and ideas. Toss in kindness, integrity and a quirky sense of humour and I'm a goner.

Intelligence does not guarantee being open-minded, but the most open-minded people I have known have also been intelligent. That willingness to try on ideas or approaches to life and love is almost as important as breathing to me.

Intelligence does not compensate for a lack in other character traits, but the man of solid character who is not also intelligent doesn't hold my interest for long.
 WesternRose
Msg: 276
Posted: 5/9/2008 5:49:38 PM
I am in no way an intellectual snob...but baby......give me an intelligent man and I am putty in his hands.

it's even in my profile I think...the man who stimulates me with intelligent conversation is the man who stimulates my mind and my body.
I am his. :

My profile states:
Seeking a lover who will seduce my mind, tease my body and make me laugh....and then a little bit more.
The man who stimulates my mind and captures my imagination is the man who has me in the palm of his hand.
 c_deacon
Msg: 280
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2008 9:20:35 AM
Brains with a body to fill out that "hooters" uniform works well for me.......

OT.........Making love is but a short term exercise in pleasure.......being paired with another that can hold your interest mentally, is a long term reality.......

Just my opinion.......
 hootinholler
Msg: 281
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2008 9:30:46 AM
Margo wrote:
The type of intelligence that "does it" for me is a love of words and word-play,

So, you're looking for a cunning linguist?

GDRFC (Grinning, ducking, running for cover)

I know, it's an ancient pun.
 junipermoon
Msg: 282
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2008 9:38:08 AM

it beats the hell out of stupidity.
 trinity818
Msg: 284
Posted: 2/10/2011 5:39:09 AM

the most open-minded people I have known have also been intelligent.

I love your posts, Margo. You are always so gracious and eloquent.

I always thought that intelligent people would be open-minded, too...until I found the POF forums. OMG..I just cannot fathom how close-minded some of these so called intellects are. How can you possibly continue to learn anything if you already know it all?

I find intelligence to be very captivating as long as it is not arrogant or condescending. Unfortunately, it often seems like many highly intelligent people are quite lacking in things like humility, kindness and patience for the "less intelligent".
 thisisit11
Msg: 285
Posted: 2/10/2011 10:01:25 AM
captivating...........
 arwen52
Msg: 286
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2011 10:04:29 AM
Intelligence is sexy. Intelligence without arrogance is a powerful aphrodisiac.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 287
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2011 7:03:54 PM
What I'm "hearing", and agreeing wholeheartedly with, is that it's all about balance. Intelligence is a factor in gauging attractiveness, for sure!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 288
Posted: 2/10/2011 7:20:47 PM

Intelligence is sexy. Intelligence without arrogance is a powerful aphrodisiac.

Completely intoxicating.
 fastdogphotog
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2011 6:26:28 AM
Intelligence comes in several different forms, but personally, I find a quick, sharp wit, when matched with a wry sense of humor to be completely captivating.
 howard19651
Msg: 292
Posted: 2/11/2011 6:56:33 AM
There is nothing better than an intelligent,cultured and sane woman. be seeing you.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 298
Posted: 2/15/2011 2:20:53 PM
Intelligence is only captivating if it is accompanied with wit, flair, and self-confidence.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 299
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2011 2:36:47 PM
"Intelligence is sexy. Intelligence without arrogance is a powerful aphrodisiac."

So I'm s'pposin' that Dr. Sheldon Cooper does not qualify?

Despite the fact that my screen name is obviously an homage to one of the smartest persons that's ever lived (though, of course, boasting about it would make him a loser), I really no longer care about the intelligence of the women I date. I did when I was younger, like high school and college, during which I was constantly surrounded by highly intelligent women in advanced classes and honors programs, but continuous rejections by them sort of soured my feelings for the "intellectual elite." Hardly any of the women that have naturally shown any sort of romantic interest in me has been anywhere near close to the top of their class, so I eventually decided if I wanted to date, I'd just have to give up these visions of intelligent grandeur. And over the years, I just kind of became turned off by intelligence. Not because these women I grew up with were arrogant, but just because you tend to become attracted to whatever it is attracted to you, to some degree.

Apparently, smart women are smart enough to know not to date me. (Proving that intellectual brilliance and common sense aren't one and the same, I once said that to my brilliant "ultimate dream girl" while she was considering whether or not to date me. Maybe my next screen name should be "ZuckerbergJr".)

None of this is to say I'd never date a true intellectual if one found me attractive for some reason (and I her), but I can only imagine that it'd be a highly problematic relationship (not that all of my others haven't been for other reasons). Online, I will first contact smart women without a second thought (and almost never get a response) but in real life situations, I usually don't bother wasting time with them anymore. They are often pretty good at thinking their way out of dating you, and I've really just had enough of "smart girl games." At the same time, none of my "recent" (you know, 4-8 years ago) dates have been braindead by any means -- for the most part, smart enough to hold a fairly intelligent conversation, but they always seem awestruck by the fact that I was valedictorian, National Merit Semi-Finalist, college honors grad, etc. Once... a very long time ago, I met another former high school valedictorian through an online dating site, but she said upfront that the meeting was just a meeting to see if there would be a date afterwards. Unfortunately, she was even more quiet than I am and we said almost nothing throughout dinner and never saw each other again. (That was more of a "quiet person needs talkative person to balance a relationship" issue than "smart person needs dumb person to balance a relationship" issue.)
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 300
Posted: 2/15/2011 3:14:41 PM

I really no longer care about the intelligence of the women I date.

So what do you care about? Beauty? Personality?
 HawkingJr
Msg: 301
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2011 6:50:14 AM
I am a follower of Mr. Dorian Gray's philosophy. I'm not too into dating women I don't find physically attractive. Given a choice between an intelligent woman I didn't find attractive and an unintelligent woman I did find attractive, there is no option but the second. Unfortunately, I am not really in much of a position to ever really have an option anyway, which is where people get confused when it comes to me. "Why not sit around until a woman you find attractive AND is intelligent comes along who also likes you?" Because that happens once every... never. Most other people don't have to wait nearly that long to get that combination.

I'm having trouble imagining a personality that would completely turn me off. The only personality that I'm sure would is one that didn't like me. Which is, of course, not part of this discussion, as we are talking about women who DO like me.

Currently, the woman who is most romantically interested in me in real life is on the borderline, because although she's a beautiful blonde white woman, her personality is more "black" than many black women I've known, and that bothers me some. We have almost nothing in common musically, for example. Because I have such a wide array of music interests, I have actually never dated anyone that I didn't have a lot in common with musically, so this could be kinda weird. She actually asked me who Nirvana was, and she's not anywhere near young enough to have not lived through the grunge era. This could really be a big test for me, since she's actually been trying to set up a date with me for months (our absurd schedules and distance between residences aren't working out so well), and she's overwhelmingly physically attractive, more so than possibly any woman I have dated, but she'd also be the woman I had the least in common with and possibly most personality clashes with (EXTREMELY extroverted). The good news is, she appears to largely be mentally stable, which I can't really say for most of the women (attractive or otherwise) who liked me in the past.

Of course this thread is about intelligence, and she's above-average there, but certainly no scholar. She's a property appraiser but did not go to college.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >