Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aanarchist
Msg: 635
Would you date someone who is on welfare?Page 24 of 28    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28)
Lol at the political bullshit.

the way I see it it depends on the circumstance. A single mother with no job or education on welfare is probably lacking in character structure. Then there are people trying to make ends meet and they are really having a rough time getting through the system, and they don't have mommy and daddy to help them. Generalizations work but you also need to have the brain to look at the individual.
 John255317
Msg: 636
Would you date someone who is on welfare?
Posted: 11/28/2013 10:17:47 AM
You can't "lump" everyone into the same category, it does not work and that is a fact! And here is one example of the "fact". I know a woman who went to school to be a nurse and needed assistance so she did receive food stamps and some other help while going to school. She was BETTERING her life and needed help along the way. This was no hand out, this was not a woman who was taking advantage of a program, it was a program designed to help people get on their feet and contribute to society. Yes, there is way too much taking advantage of these programs, that is our fault for allowing it. But this thread isn't about politics or discussing tight or wrong, it was asked if someone would date someone on welfare. And like I say, you have to look at each individual to answer that, it isn't a blanket answer. And oh ya, this woman after being an RN makes more then most people on this forum board. Don't judge when you don't know the whole story to ask a question like this thread is doing.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 637
Posted: 11/28/2013 10:28:55 AM
Apparently reading comprehension is the first victim
" I have never met a person on welfare that was not a democrat/liberal"
I meaning me, myself, I, personally - the guy typing this has NEVER met a person on welfare that was NOT a Democrat/Liberal"
now of course there are republicans and conservatives that in the world of Venn Diagrams and statistics more likely than not on public assistance - I have never met one.
doesn't mean they don't exist ( and in a nation that is so far on its knees that 1 of every 2 is on the government tiat somehow - it would be hard to avoid them ) but I have never met one.
hell I consider every damn politician as a leeching moocher - regardless of party affiliation.

to the point - would I date a welfare recipient - nope. would I date a lib . dem - nope.
but cheer up - the world is in balance - they would no more date me either.
 doorknob123
Msg: 638
Posted: 12/3/2013 5:31:38 AM
No, I won't. I only see VERY few legitimate ones who need to be on it. The rest just want a free ride and wasting tax payer money. That's why my net income salary is small because state and fed taxes take a big chunk of my hard earned money and give it to these types of people.
 4ms4me
Msg: 639
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:59:30 PM
" I have never met a person on welfare that was not a democrat/liberal"

I am not aware the political leanings of most of the people I know, unless they are pretty close friends. How can you be so sure that you've never met a Republican on welfare?

Would I date a man on welfare, good question. I'm currently dating a man on disability, so my guess would be yes. But it would be unilikely I'd ever meet a single man in that situation, since they only get about $600 per month, and if they aren't sleeping on a friend or family member's couch, they're giving up half or more of that amount for a place to live. After paying for food, things like phones and transportation may be well out of their reach, never mind dating. Not to mention, people who live with such low incomes typically face tremendous hurdles in terms of self-worth and depression, even if they don't have other health and/or addiction problems.

A single parent with one child can get a whopping $900 per month, plus tax credits, which might make dating possible - but I would not be interested in a man with dependent children, so that would be out.
 gtomustang
Msg: 640
Posted: 12/4/2013 9:37:22 PM
corporations accept more millions of gov't handouts than individuals do, and WalMart among others is on record as noticing they didn't have to pay benies nor a wage their employees could live on, since the gov't offered assistance packages. personally, since by the grace of God I was able to retire at age 43, the only people I will meet offline on an average day I could ask on a date narrows down to fellow retirees (twice my age), married moms, or...someone out of work--so why should I hate?

it isn't where the money's coming from, its, "do they respect themself, and will they treat me with equal respect?" you don't have to worry about any other red flags once you've answered these two questions about a prospective partner.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 642
Posted: 12/11/2013 7:56:15 PM
Would I date a man on welfare, good question. I'm currently dating a man on disability, so my guess would be yes. But it would be unilikely I'd ever meet a single man in that situation, since they only get about $600 per month, and if they aren't sleeping on a friend or family member's couch, they're giving up half or more of that amount for a place to live.

I hope that you mean a person on welfare (and not disability) only gets around $600 per month, since my disability check is over $2,000 after they take out for Medicare.

I have no idea how anyone could live on $600 per month.
 innerdarkness3365
Msg: 643
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2014 10:15:26 AM
I personally would love to date someone on welfare or social assistance for one reason, they would be in the same boat I am currently am in and have been in for many years because the government and medical professionals refuse to offer assistance in giving me what I need to apply and be approved for disability support program in which I would then use their resources to obtain a career where I would most likely be able to keep a job for more than 1-3 weeks. I say 1-3 weeks because I have gone my entire life flowing from one job to the next because no employees will keep me for more than 1-3 weeks and every time I have lost my job there has been a different excuse from the weasles(employers) in why they are firing or laying me off, without a constant excuse I am unable to identify the problem and attempt to fix it, therefore the reason I cant work is because of the employers and I dont see a way to work without loosing the job after a week. There are so many jobs that once I soar through them all what am I left with? social services because its not like I can start at the back of the list of employers again..."wait a second didnt we hire this loser a couple months/years back?" would be basically the just of returning to the beginning of my job applying list and then that would happen. in conclusion I would date someone on social assistance because frankly we are all human and to show one form of society anything less would be disgraceful, and down right rude so I say to the people that either say "ew no never" or "what the hell is wrong with you people" its people like you that give the human race no reason to exist, if we cant respect each other what hope is there for the people that struggle with various disorders on a day to day basis atleast the people with disorders of varying magnitude know how to show respect to one another and not judge us on whether we are working or not.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 644
Posted: 8/3/2014 11:21:40 AM
A lot of you judge these people, but nobody ever wants to look into WHY they're on welfare.

In NJ, to get food stamps, just food, as a single person, you need to gross under 1772/month. For a 40 hour/week job, that's $11/hr. Now let's look at the cost of living...

The bare necessities: Rent, electric, gas, food.
If you work out of the area, and aren't close enough to a major bus route, you need a car, and insurance is required, going to assume your car is payed.

The average for a 1 bedroom apartment in south jersey (everything is more expensive in north) is around $800-900/month. If you avoid AC and you're responsible about your electric use, you can manage to keep your gas and electric combined at about 100/month.

You have to drive to work, well, insurance is a requirement, and the typical state minimum is about 100/month. Down here, you typically drive at least 20-30 miles each way to work. The small towns don't have much business, just tons of houses. So 60 miles round trip is about 300 miles a week. At 3.50/gallon, with an average of 20-30mpg, gonna use the high number, that's 10 gallons / week, for 140/month.

So far, just to have a home and get to work, it costs 1140/month.

Add in health insurance, on a group plan paying 30/week, 1260.

We haven't even eaten yet. Depending on your diet it can range from 50-100/week. So we're anywhere from 1460 to 1660. Let's not forget all those other little things, toilet paper, toothpaste, soap, dish soap, deoderant, shampoo, mouthwash, floss, laundry soap. It's not a lot, but when we're down to possibly our last 100 for the month, that 20 that it might cost for the month is expensive.

So, our low number is 1460/month just to have a home, food, and get to work. There's no entertainment, or luxury in there. 1460 is 9.00/hr. This is gross though, we didn't factor in the money coming out of your check for tax. At 9/hr that's 219 coming out every month for federal income tax, now you're paying 1679 every month. Still not counting SS, Medicare, state tax...

So, what's this all mean? Unless you're making over 9.00/hr, it's not profitable to work. NJ's minimum wage is 7.25/hr. That's what you get payed at Walmart, Kmart, Target, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC, Subway, Acme, ShopRite, Pathmark, Petsmart, Cosco, Sam's, Wawa, Cumberland Farms, you know, literally every single business you see when you drive down the street. What do they gross every month? Assuming 40 hour weeks, 1160/month About 1k after federal. It's impossible to live. Then lets not forget that you still need clothes, your car WILL break, you might even need to replace it... This is also why it's so common for young people to not move out of their parent's houses. once you can find that good job, you're set, but those jobs are finite, it's not unocommon to finish college and still be working minimum wage for a few years.

That said, I would, and have dated people on welfare. That's just the country that was left for my generation.
 easterparadehat
Msg: 645
Posted: 8/4/2014 9:13:52 PM
What is more disturbing is judgemental people who look down on others that are going through hard economic times. There are precious few of us that say they have guaranteed financial stability their whole lives. One bad sickenss can wipe out all of your financial resources. I don't collect it but would never be a snob toward anyone who did.
 south_city
Msg: 646
Posted: 8/7/2014 6:39:47 AM
It's not an automatic dealbreaker. But it's a yellow flag. Proceed with caution.
 NoxzemaWA
Msg: 647
Posted: 3/16/2017 6:13:36 PM
If it was a temporary situation, then I wouldn't care. I was on food stamps for 2 years while I was in college and working a part-time job that paid $9.50/hour. In that two-year period, I began working more hours and my wage increased so they gradually cut the monthly EBT amount. At first they gave me $200/month in food stamps and a year later they were cut to $16/month. After two years, I chose not to renew.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 648
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2017 6:37:19 PM
I would not have an issue with it. Of all the things my taxes are used for - keeping someone ALIVE or HEALTHY is not one I'd object to.

Besides, you're not supporting them any more than some wealthy date who wants free tickets to playoff game, or steak, lobster & wine for dinner, and "ghost".
 cooldog65
Msg: 649
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2017 7:32:55 AM
In the past, I've dated plenty of single mothers on welfare. Now, it would depend on the circumstances. Chances are very slim.
 gtomustang
Msg: 650
as long as they can work a handjob
Posted: 3/20/2017 4:14:46 PM
if the recipient is hawt, i'm sure it will be overlooked. But once the needs are met and the breakup occurs, suddenly that will get thrown out there as "Another thing about them I can't stand...."
 Dragracer428
Msg: 651
Posted: 3/20/2017 4:19:20 PM

Now, it would depend on the circumstances. Chances are very slim.

Agree with this, I get circumstances happen, especially for women with children. But in my age range that is mostly past and they only have themselves to look after, showing some ambition is important to me.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 652
Posted: 3/20/2017 4:20:07 PM
It would be important WHY she was on welfare and her attitude about it.

For example , "she refused to work because she didn't like working" would be a turn off for me. I'm kinda picky I guess.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 653
Posted: 3/20/2017 7:38:16 PM
For sex only and birth control is mandatory
 Perspektiv
Msg: 654
Posted: 3/21/2017 6:12:27 PM
Never.

I already know, I'd be supporting them in one way or another. Not something I'd be interested in signing up for.

I can't stand people who make excuses.

To me, someone who wants a job in a developed country, will find one if they have the will to do so.

I know people who are disabled with jobs. Mentally incapacitated, with jobs. With jail records, with jobs.

If you have none of the above, you have no reason to be without one, other than choosing to do so.

That would be more of my issue, with someone in that situation. I've only met a handful of people on welfare long term who were honest. I.E "Look, I don't like working for the man. I prefer getting this cash, and making tax free money on the side. Why should I work for the government, when they'll take most of my pay, anyway?"

If you're genuinely seeking work, you would not be on welfare very long. The embarrassment would be enough, to fast-track your job hunt.
 NoxzemaWA
Msg: 655
Posted: 3/21/2017 8:06:07 PM
^ the vast majority of welfare recipients ARE employed. Welfare/food stamps doesn't automatically mean unemployed. I know that when I had food stamps, I had to provide proof of income every six months in order for them to be renewed. The welfare queen who sits on her ass with 5 kids by 5 baby daddies collecting a check from the state is a gross exaggeration. It's not representative for most public assistance recipients.
 Perspektiv
Msg: 656
Posted: 3/22/2017 3:49:52 AM

the vast majority of welfare recipients ARE employed.

If you're employed but could find more work (I.E Hours, and opportunity), but choose not to, due to the welfare--this is the type of person I'm eluding to. Not the type trying to get off of it.

Welfare/food stamps doesn't automatically mean unemployed.

It also doesn't necessarily mean lazy, either. I'm eluding to those who give it a bad name.

I've seen tons of people choose to remain on welfare, as it meant them not having to work any more hours than they want to. Welfare is designed to help you off your feat. Its temporary.

I'm eluding to the person who chooses to live this lifestyle, permanently.

I'm sure everyone has their reasons.

I also am sure there is gray matter, and not all is white and black, with regards to situation.

I just wouldn't want anything to do with someone who's on the system.

I've spoken to a handful of women who were, and the situations were the same. They were in between jobs, for a very long time, and didn't seem all that desperate or in a rush, to upgrade that situation.

Were looking for men to save them.

Again, not all women on welfare are the same. I just don't want to have to sit there, dissecting them to make sure they're not. I'd rather avoid what's already been problematic for me.
 Perspektiv
Msg: 657
Posted: 3/22/2017 3:50:53 AM
*off your feet.
 south_city
Msg: 658
Posted: 3/23/2017 7:54:30 AM

As a hard nosed Republican and Independent - I have found that I do not get along with liberals and democrats; and in all of my years - I have never met a person on welfare that was not a democrat/liberal

LOL. I'm sure there are people on welfare in Kentucky, W.Virginia etc that are Republicans and/or voted for The Donald.
 gtomustang
Msg: 659
Posted: 3/23/2017 4:07:29 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/03/15/national_review_says_pro_trump_working_class_whites_are_lazy_and_selfish.html

"On one hand, the proposal looks likely to shift federal money from a group of voters likely to be Democratic to another more likely to be Republican. But there is a more fundamental ideology at work, some say."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2016/0124/How-Trump-is-forcing-Republicans-to-rethink-poverty

"?Clay County, Kentucky, is a profoundly depressed area in the heart of coal country. Whether its residents responded to Trump’s dog whistles or rolled the dice on a successful businessman to shake up a status quo that had failed them, the results suggest that they saw real hope in his election: Trump won the county 79-21. But according to NPR, a lot of folks in Clay County are now starting to worry about their health care, and with good reason. Kentucky set up an Obamacare exchange and expanded Medicaid under then-governor Steve Beshear, a Democrat, and today around one in three of the state’s residents are covered under the program. Kentucky’s uninsured rate dropped from 20 percent to just 7.5 percent over the course of two short years. In Clay County, where almost four in 10 live in poverty, 60 percent of the population relies on Medicaid, and Matt Bevin, the Republican governor who took over in 2015, wants to roll back the expansion if the federal government doesn’t sign off on his plan to charge beneficiaries higher premiums. Obama’s HHS was expected to reject Bevin’s scheme, but that’s unlikely to happen under Trump. It is these very voters—less educated, struggling to get by on low incomes—who will bear the brunt of unified Republican government under Trump. The GOP Congress may give Trump his “infrastructure plan,” but that looks like it will consist of a bunch of tax cuts for investors to sink into toll bridges and toll roads. "

https://www.thenation.com/article/struggling-white-voters-who-helped-elect-trump-are-headed-for-buyers-remorse/
 Nestaron
Msg: 661
Posted: 3/24/2017 9:59:43 PM
Depends why they are on it. I was on ODSP which is a bit better due to disease so I can understand the circumstances but they definitely need to try to improve themselves mentally, physically. They have to want to improve their lives and move forward in action trying.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >