Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 YamIhere
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Would you date someone who is on welfare?Page 3 of 28    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28)
@Ontario
As I’ve said, I never begrudge anyone who needs it or uses it as a stepping stone to create a better life for themselves. But I know for a fact that in the U.S. abuse of the system is rampant. I have no clue what it’s like in Canada. But here, they make it so getting a real job and getting off welfare is a mistake. Take my brother, for instance. He’s raising his three kids on his own. He has been in and out of work since health problems made him leave his career as a mason. He is an excellent mechanic, but if he got a wage-paying job, he would lose his health benefits and would have to pay out-of-pocket based on his wage for his kids to have coverage. It would actually place him in worse shape financially. So he works under the table jobs and adds money to the compensation he and his kids receive. He’s doing at least as well as I am, and I have never been anywhere near welfare.
 Diggy03
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Would you date someone who is on welfare?
Posted: 6/14/2005 10:37:51 AM
@ YamIhere

That is considered fraud what your brother is doing...... reading your earlier posts.... it's ok for your brother but not for anyone else?
 YamIhere
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2005 10:42:26 AM
@hmmmwelllll
I take exception to you saying they want to work. I’ll give you an example. About three years ago in Pennsylvania, there was an idea put forward that in order to retain your benefits of living for free in public housing, those who were unable to find work would put in community service time ... 40 hours per month. That’s not much to ask and the taxpayers would have been receiving some return on investment. What happened? Well, there were rallies and these folks living for free came out and called it “slavery” and then the ACLU came rushing in to their aid calling it unfair. I didn’t think it was too much to ask. But, facing a ton of bad publicity, the state shyed away from the idea.
 YamIhere
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2005 10:42:57 AM
Oh, Dig, no. I hate my brother

Edit: but I love my nephews and neice, therefore I don't turn him in.
 Diggy03
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2005 11:09:22 AM
YamIhere for love of those beautiful children.... I'd do the same thing!!!!

Not saying I love your neice and nephew... you know what I mean.

OT: Like most everything our governments create "ASSUMING" it is for the greater good... is almost always inherently flawed in some aspect. And OBVIOUSLY can't please everyone!!!!
 YamIhere
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2005 11:12:19 AM
hmmmwelll,
Your opinion is what it is. I have been poor. I don't plan on going back. And why am I becoming a success? Why is this poor kid from the backwoods of Appalachia finding his way in the world? He has met those you term as villains, picked their brains, learned how they became successful and have done everything in his power to pattern himself in their image.

Anyway, this thread has gotten way off topic. This belongs in the politics forum. So let's end this by saying I think you're wrong and you think I'm wrong and neither one of us is going to change the other's mind
 YamIhere
Msg: 230
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2005 12:06:40 PM
Darma has been making a great point throughout this thread and that is that people who can’t support themselves shouldn’t expect other to support their children. Now, in a case like Blue’s, and so many others, where a major life change propels you into a difficult situation, that is understandable. My problem is, having seen so many people fight and work their way out of poverty, I know it can be done. Too few people actually try. There’s a park across the street from my office building and all day long these folks hang out there drinking liquor and smoking weed that I, as a taxpayer, in part paid for.

I have no problem helping those who will help themselves. That’s why I volunteer at a great organization called Mom’s House (www.momshouse.org). We help young single parents complete their education as long as they live up to a code of expectations. This is a completely free service and all of our graduates go on to great success in life. What surprises me is the low number of clients we actually get. The service has been in place for almost 25 years and is well known. But we do ask for things in return for our investment of time and effort. The whole code is listed on the Web site. It’s not much to ask for what they get - a second chance at life - but most are unwilling to live up to that code. Surprise, surprise. *sigh*
 YamIhere
Msg: 231
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2005 12:10:56 PM
Paint me as you wish. Have you ever had a welfare mother try to sell you her food stamps for 50 cents on the dollar?
 YamIhere
Msg: 236
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:00:50 PM
Here's my problem with welfare ... if I may employ a cliche ... we're giving a man a fish, instead of teaching him how to fish and making him go to friggin lake and cast his own line once he's taught.
 smilincaligal198
Msg: 238
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:13:02 PM
no. people on welfare are lazy.
 redneckgirl133
Msg: 239
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:14:41 PM
No...never.....I want a hard working man just like I am a hard working woman...No need for a man to be out of work and on welfare unless that is what he chooses...I`m soooooooo not interested...
 Frrosty
Msg: 240
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:17:23 PM
Yes; it depends on her situation,

If she is like a horse chomping on the bity just WAITING and DYING to hget out and work, but..who must assure that a lil baby is taken care of....yes...I would set her free and watch her run.

All people on welfare are not lazy. Some are, simply, getting up after getting knocked down.

Others may be there permanently due to health and those people, I am sorry, I cannot partner with. I am going out to conquer "life"; I need an able partner to achieve that goal.

People who AIM for welfare or social assistance really do not get my respect; I am sorry

If she, however, has no plans and really does not care about getting off of welfare and enjoys the life she has, on the system;see ya.

I would FAR rather date a girl on welfare, temporarily, than one who is super stressed out and SUPER busy working two low paying jobs in order to bring home 28,000.00 a year. (thus enjoying life very very little and having many reasons to growl and complain) At LEAST the one no welfare has time, and the smarts to focus and "aim" her sights before she pounces. Therefore, she will catch up to the one who works for peanuts within the first year anyways.

I do not want a girl who thinks that working for nothing is the way to go. Work all your life and never breach the poverty line?

ppffftt, I will have to pass.

No offence to those who do though; you are better people than I. I just have many dreams and ambitions which require so much more. ;)

marathonman11x7
Msg: 242
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:22:19 PM
@Stephenb
Your issue shouldn't be with welfare nor the issue of dating someone on it,rather you dating ethics and methods.IF this woman demonstrated the issues of just wanting to smoke pot,that was YOUR CHOICE to date her(and give her things) before bothering to find out more about HER. Because your post is only your "version" of events the only thing to go on is not so much what YOU say about HER,but rather what it all says about YOU.

To the question of would "I"date someone on welfare? Yes,like anything eles it would depend on the woman,her character,her intellect,our common interest and the circumstances that got her there and her desire for more.This would be true REGARDLESS of income or economic status.To those women who have been or are currently recieving help, I say keep your heads up and don't let the foolish negative energy some wish to project get to you.Its so ridiculously silly for Americans to trash the welfare system and those on it as if most are abusing it.Particularly since corporate welfare is FAR more damaging to the economy than social welfare.I agree that abusors of social welfare should be caught but I feel they are NOT the majority.I do feel that the overwelming majority of corporate welfare recepients abuse it.
 Frrosty
Msg: 244
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:23:30 PM
bla bla bla....get a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHy? I have a very large inheritane and trust account. I dont NEED to work!!

(I am kidding, sort of, but...would you date one of THOSE people?)

Would those of you who refuse to date welfare recipients because they are lazy date a trust account baby?

Talk about a mass hypocrisy roundup.

ANd Blue; you are beautiful. *sigh* "beautiful, beautiful Blue".
 smilincaligal198
Msg: 247
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:25:31 PM
oh come on. welfar offers plenty of help finding a job, and they will even offer child care so these people will get up off their fat asses. but no, they want the good life. and its all handed to them right there on a silver platter.

and these stupid people just hand it out left n right. why do you think there is so many immegants? hey lets go to america, pop out 6 kids, and get a free ride. wooooopieeee

and thet the stupid americans pay for it all. yea. thats real shallow huh.
 Frrosty
Msg: 251
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:29:46 PM
I take exception to you saying they want to work. I’ll give you an example. About three years ago in Pennsylvania, there was an idea put forward that in order to retain your benefits of living for free in public housing, those who were unable to find work would put in community service time ... 40 hours per month. That’s not much to ask and the taxpayers would have been receiving some return on investment. What happened? Well, there were rallies and these folks living for free came out and called it “slavery” and then the ACLU came rushing in to their aid calling it unfair. I didn’t think it was too much to ask. But, facing a ton of bad publicity, the state shyed away from the idea

NOw THAT is garbage. THAT woud A) give welfare a better reputation with non-welfare folks B) GIve these people more pride and less stigma for welfare, C) Add to community programs and community as a whole and: D) still give them time to search for a job

THat bloody stinks.

Have you ever had a welfare mother try to sell you her food stamps for 50 cents on the dollar?

And that could make me cry. ggrrrrrrrrr
 Frrosty
Msg: 255
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:34:16 PM
^^ It is not "stalking dude". It does not qualify as such in any book of law..at all.

Deal with him or give up; one or the other.

As long as the posts are centred on the issue at hand; deal with it.

Heck; you don;t see a Prosecutor telling a defence attorney he meets in court 27 times a year AND sees in the SAME judges chambers and law associations whine about being stalked do you?

Deal with the issues and do not even care who makes the point you agree or do not agree with. Keep it "issue based" and he will not bother you as much. ;)

smilincaligal198
Msg: 263
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:43:50 PM
who the hell cares how much they weigh., your missing the whole point. they are poor, why? cause they dont work. unless you have a disability, get your lazy ass out there and get a job.

i have been down on my luck many times. i have gone without, and even lived from house to house, and slept in my car a few times. i even lost it all, a time of two. but i did not go running and crying to the government to suport me.

i got my ass up, and got outthere and took care of what i need to. so, yea, i do know how it is, sop try again there.
 smilincaligal198
Msg: 265
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:45:36 PM
andddddddd, i cant recall how many times i when i was in high school hearing these girls say, its ok if they get pregnant, they will just go on welfare.

well, hmmmm, we got kids minds so warped, they think oh, welfare will be there waiting when i need them. i dont know about you, but i dont want my children thinking this way.
 smilincaligal198
Msg: 267
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:52:31 PM
why cant they get a job? if you really apply yourself, you can do whatever you set your mind to. just plain lazzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. ok, so ya need a couple of food stamps, do what ya gatta do to feed the kid. but come on, milkin it for what its worth.

having them pay your rent, food, electric, and so on. icannot even believe the nerve of these people. hell, if its that easy, why dont we just all go oh welfare huh?

oooops, who would pay for it then?????????
 smilincaligal198
Msg: 268
Posted: 6/14/2005 1:55:18 PM
very true. i am done arguing. this is a no win situation. are arguing wont change anything. we are entitled to our opinions. and there is no right or wrong. i think all of us have made a good arguement, but whats left to say?
 Frrosty
Msg: 269
Posted: 6/14/2005 2:03:25 PM
My summation is "such"

A) Welfare is a very necessary part of a compassionate society. Without it crime would be rampant and Darwin is in complete and full effect. (IN other words, anarchy will ensue)

B) Welfare is a stepping stone.

C) Having children while on welfare should be prohibited for everyones sake

D) Those who are content to live off of welfare, and never work hard/fight hard to gain more out of this life we have, are just plain stupid. (To simply "exist" is garbage) Shoot me if that is ever my fate.

E) Making generlaizations about any peoples or segments of society is ignorant and makes you look dumb as a stump.

F) as YamI has said; teach the people MARKETABLE skills which may earn them a decent progressive and healthy lifestyle; NOT those that keep them in destitute forever. "Teach a man to fish..etc etc etc"

And finally:

G) I knew I did not want to get involved in this mudpit of a debate,.

smilincaligal198
Msg: 270
Posted: 6/14/2005 2:05:40 PM
g--- me too. but it keeps sucking me in.

c--- this is a wonderful idea. maybe if this was in affect, i wouldnt have such a problem. that and they have to be a us citizen.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 272
Posted: 6/14/2005 2:14:02 PM
I haven't veiwed EVERY post on this issue waay to many pages. However,it appears MANY arguments are made on extremisms,and generalities and stereotypes.At the point of hearing so many I wager 1 of those who make these generalities to back it up with statistics.Otherwise,the credibility of an argument based upon stereotypes and generalities is null.Once again,compare the BILLIONS given to the handfuls of corporate welfare recients who live in multimillion dollar homes and own yachts,to the millions dispersed to social welfare recipients.Most Americans have been baboozled into fighting among themeselves for the crumbs(social welfare/taxes) while the wealthy laugh while vacationing on the Reviera (paid for by public taxes).All who can work should work. All who are unemployed are NOT unemployed due to being "lazy".Are there abuses? Of course there are many,however,as it relates to someone being on welfare and living a "good life" that is NOT true for the vast majority.As it relates to those who recieve the benefits of corporate welfare and live the "good life" that is true of the VAST MAJORITY of them.
 Frrosty
Msg: 275
Posted: 6/14/2005 2:35:59 PM
aaawwww

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >