Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Diggy03
Msg: 333
view profile
History
Would you date someone who is on welfare?Page 5 of 28    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28)
I was on assistance when my ex was arrested for uttering death threats to me. It's hard to support an infant when there is no income in the home, especially when he's not allowed to come over.

Anyway, I lived in a city where there are only minimum wage jobs (if you can find one)... and I'm not one for working two or three part time jobs and spending no time with my child.

Assistance helped me move back home (closer to Toronto) where I got a full time job. I have been working there for over a year and have advanced within the company... and I pay all my bills including daycare out of my paycheque.

I agree that SOME people are lazy and don't know there is life beyond assistance... geez.. you make way more money working than you do waiting for the cheque to come in at the end of the month.

OT: You all know my response. Yes depending on the circumstance.... well maybe not.. I don't know.....

I guess some people are more educated in making their dreams come true than some who would rather keep dreaming.....
 HARRY STOTLE
Msg: 336
Would you date someone who is on welfare?
Posted: 6/15/2005 7:24:06 PM
sure, I would get to spend more time with them.
 HARRY STOTLE
Msg: 338
Posted: 6/15/2005 7:46:05 PM
working girls are fine, they always leave after ya pay em
 HARRY STOTLE
Msg: 341
Posted: 6/15/2005 8:04:28 PM
Nikki, NRK,
 pink506
Msg: 342
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2005 8:24:08 PM
not sure if I would, but then I wonder what would happen if i HAD to get on welfare.....I would hope I was datable. I am single mother with 3 kids.. NOT on welfare... going to school for a teaching degree. I have goals, and to be on welfare is not one of them and it wouldnt be okay for me if I had to get on welfare. I would do what i had to do before i applied for state help.
 HARRY STOTLE
Msg: 343
Posted: 6/15/2005 8:32:58 PM
nothing wrong with welfare, its a safety net. Some people are unable to cope with the world we have created, some need time to get themselves together. Same with employment insurance. Sure some cheat the system, but not out of much they pay nothing up here in Canada. I'm all for having a compassionate system, some people are very strong survivours, others are not. I would prefer to give those who are not a helping hand.. Its not dog eat dog in my mind..
 smilincaligal198
Msg: 346
Posted: 6/16/2005 1:26:56 AM
no. my father left when i 2 months and we havent seen him since. so no money there. and we had no family here in cali. right before i was born, my family came here from rhode island. so all our family was back there. she used what little money we had to pay baby sitters, and sometimes even took us with her.
 CROSSFADE
Msg: 348
Posted: 6/16/2005 2:27:47 AM
They do get the best cheese in the world!!!
 YamIhere
Msg: 352
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2005 6:22:07 AM
No, being on welfare doesn’t limit someone’s emotions. But if you’re someone who makes a good living and you’re not worried about that being the point of attraction ... you’re in trouble. As callous as it may sound, I would always be concerned that there were ulterior motives in play. I know, I know ... not everyone’s out for money. But, the truth is, some are.
 teamgreen
Msg: 355
Posted: 6/16/2005 10:58:12 AM
i agree with nikki! you have to think about your kids first, 3 kids is alot to handle, i could imagine how tuff it may be. See i don't thin she was sounding even a bit shallow, she came over obstacles to get where she is today. Having done that, she deserves a man who is dependable. I see no where in her posts that gives her off being shallow. I for one could date some one who is on welfare, being that she has future plans to get off of it and my feelings are there. But on the other hand i would do/feel/and react the same way nikki does if i was her.
 teamgreen
Msg: 356
Posted: 6/16/2005 11:21:10 AM
i know that's my opinion! that's why i wrote it
 teamgreen
Msg: 359
Posted: 6/16/2005 12:36:00 PM
not at all, i'm really sorry to hear that happened and you had to go through all that.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 363
Posted: 6/16/2005 6:02:03 PM
THE MAJORITY do not. They are lazy, selfish people who do NOT want to work and have made a hobby out of breeding.

That illogical OPINION is part of the problem and that whole post is FULL of contradiction How would the poster know what the majoirty were?

When I tried to get SOME assistance in the form of food stamps, child care.

hummmmmlets see,welfare recipients according to the poster are lazy and have made a hobby of breeding........yet the poster TRIED to get on welfare
Not only is that contractictory but also HYPOCRITICAL what makes everyone/anyone else different? PUUULEASE
Why would anyone get mad at those who apply and recieved when you(hypothetical "you") APPLIED and didn't? sounds like JEALOUSY and MISPLACED VENDICTIVENSS has reared its head
That was 1 of 2(nikki) post on the same page of people who admit to applying(1 recieved) and yet have negative feelings for someone who is in the same situation as they at some point.
What is UP? Americans fight over the crumbs while few if ANY complain about the 150 BILLION dollars given in corporate welfare,or the TENS BILLIONS annually given to 1 nation(which has a per capita income greater than 85% of the world) in intenational aid(welfare).
Now, WHAT EXACTLY is the title of the thread? WHY are there more post off topic BASHING poor welfare recipients and silly MISTAKEN generalizations than there are post on topic? Poorly channeled negative energy
Don't HATE; Educate,use positive methods to MOTIVATE, then tranquility is what you help create.LOL
 Mad_About_You
Msg: 383
Posted: 7/11/2005 6:46:12 PM
It's a totally "self-policing" situation.

The guys that run from you... *SHOULD* run from you.
(For their good... and definitely for YOUR good. Why would you want someone
that can't accept who you are?) When someone avoids you... you both win.

The guys that run *TOWARDS* you... will find you. (With your help.)
You both win.

Your only "job" is to "be what you are".... and don't worry about the rest.
You can't change the past.

P.S.
If I could... I *NEVER* have eaten so much paste in 1st grade.
 Angel_73
Msg: 387
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2005 9:16:05 PM
It would depend on the situation..... To me it dont matter what a guy does for a living .. he can be a gas station attendant, work at mcdonalds, a lawyer it dont matter as long as they can support themselfs.

I was working from 16 till just last summer and i do plan on working again ....But I am not working at the moment. I am getting by with what i have and i have no problems with it..and if im ok with the way my life is what should it matter to the guy?

most of the times when i tell a guy that i am a single mom and not working at the moment they take off.... (most guys think im looking for someone to take care of me ) i am not looking for a sugar daddy or a father for my child... she has one ..a very good one...and i wasnt a girl who got knocked up i was married and she was planned. the marriage ended so now im a single mother of a 5 year old and she is only in school half days ... so even if i went to get a part time job by the time i pay a daycare or sitter for her i will have nothing left so whats the point?

I am just taking some time off to be with her till she goes to school full days.. if a guy has a problem with that ... i dont want him anyways lol
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 390
Posted: 7/11/2005 10:47:30 PM

..being on welfare for me was embarrassing because i felt like i was being looked down on.
..i mean, just the other day, i heard 2 cashiers bashing this lady that had just left the store, dressed all nice, and rolling in a mercedes, with a dam food stamp card

Now,lets see,being on welfare was embarassing to you and you felt "looked down upon".Yet YOU state that you were in a difficult place and time and trying to get in a better situation right? If this is the case,why not have MORE compassion and understanding rather than looking down upon them yourself?

To the latter quote:
1)How do YOU or the cashiers KNOW what a customer in a store was driving? More importatnly how would you know WHO it belonged to? Should welfare recipients be shuned by those who do well financially?

2)Doesn't the fact that they were "bashing" a customer let you know of the mentality(or lack of) of the cashiers?

3)Should all welfare reciprients ONLY go to thrift shops and ONLY buy clothing that suits a welfare reciprient "look" from those stores?

Come on now,I believe you misplace your resentment as I alluded to in an earlier post.
 txboy46
Msg: 392
Posted: 7/12/2005 2:05:49 AM
it should never be about money, status, or any other materialistic b.s. How many people on here say that they being now divorced want the right person? there are people on here that know that finances are not the answer to happiness. Without the right person being in debt or living poor can be a nightmare, conversely being well off can be a nightmare also. rich or poor, you have to have the right person. or else you will end up back here. Don't look on financial means, when you start to get involved, talk about them, begin to blend your lives together slowly, and help each other grow. Just because one has been more fortunate doesn't mean the other is not qualified.
 marita_b
Msg: 393
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2005 1:19:43 PM
I think the problem is you are comparing generals when debating specifics,...

Your experience is of a specific person,...which has no wiggle room for (to compare to) someone like wolf,...

I'm here to tell you no one dreams at 22 of being forced into that situation at 52,.....there are many ways of getting there ,....and many of them are due to NO fault whatsoever, of the person,....that being said,...

In the case of your specific,....I think just asking the questions ( the way you have) means to me that you already have the answer and are merely looking for validation,...perhaps because you have become attached to the child in the picture or perhaps because your feelings for the lady have diminished. You seem to want someone to say it's ok not to go back,...

The fact is,.. it's a mute point,...fair or not fair,...you DO have the right not to go back,....

It is your life,....and until proven otherwise it's the only one your going to have,...

you have to live it,....

In answer to your question,...I date people,...not their circumstances,....
Remember the author of the Harry Potter books was on welfare for 6 years,..now look at her.

circumstances change,.....how you overcome them,..develops character,.....
 techgirl27
Msg: 397
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2006 3:47:43 PM
Also there are people who DO work and receive income related benefits. Do you tar them with the same brush?
 toonsmith
Msg: 399
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2006 7:25:07 PM
Yes for many reasons.
 ponygrl™
Msg: 401
Posted: 3/9/2007 7:51:29 PM
this is all in my own opinion:

the department of public welfare is there to help those in need, it's just that some people insist on abusing the system. there's no shame for anyone to be on welfare providing it's within reason and not to be abused. there are some men and women that need a temporary source of income when they're in between jobs (while being denied for unemployment or an allowance to receive food stamps to help), you have the medical and financial needs (source of income until other benefits are permitted) for those involved in an accident of some sort and are unable to work, and then you have those whom abuse the system...they are the ones that have no pride and would rather sit at home and collect undeserved money and medical benefits. single parents that abuse the system have been found because they would much rather sit at home with their young children. dpw offers a child care assistance program in which it allows the parent to work while they (dpw) pays a certain percent if not all of the child care expenses. sure, bringing in the income would cut the cash and food stamp allowance down but it also gives the parent the opportunity to gain useful skills as well as giving them the chance to be back on the road of being self supported.

people that are on welfare because of an accident must have proof from the doctor that they are NOT allowed to work. if a lawsuit in involved then they MUST sign a waiver to repay any and all collected monies furnished through the state. the person MUST seek all other source of income options, ie. if separated they MUST file to obtain spousal support through the domestic relations courts. if approved then what ever the amount is being paid by the spouse will reduce the amount of cash and food stamps supplied by the state. if they are disable for more than 12 months then they ARE required to apply for money from the federal government (ssi/ssdi). once approved for ssi or ssdi, again all monies paid out through the state MUST be paid back in full. applying for ssi & ssdi is a trying process. it can take atleast 4 months to be denied and once denied it should be appealed immediately. it would be a long tiresome process but once the claim is won then the money from the government becomes retroactive.

should anyone be ashamed of dating someone on welfare? no they shouldn't.

would i date a person on welfare? it depends on the circumstances.
 sunshineladi
Msg: 403
Posted: 3/9/2007 8:18:30 PM
This is for DrinkUmPretty--way back on page 1. You said Noone should be on Welfare no matter what the situation is!!!!! Boy, are you living in dream land!!! There are very good and honest reasons for some to have to be on Welfare. I'm not sure if that is a sad declaration of our marriage obligations, or just a case of practicality so these people can eat! It would be a nice heavenly place if we all could work and bring home around $35,000 a year, but our lifestyle's; laws; capabilities; and needs are each varied and different. I hope you realize this so that some day, God forbid, if you are sleeping in the streets and have lost your job, you aren't too ashamed to ask for help. Oh yes, I'll take that $10,000 check any time!!!!
 peacefulwlife
Msg: 406
Posted: 3/9/2007 8:34:58 PM
I have to say: SHE put you into debt? You didn't allow it? Sounds more as if You put yourself into debt. If you allowed her to charge, buy, rent to own things, borrow money, with your knowledge and finances, then it's your doing.

If the individual is bettering them self, going to school for an education, hit some rough times and just needs some help for a bit, sure..But because they don't want to work..Because they're working on working over or up the next sucker that says sure honey let me...and let me ..... yea you get the picture. Oh Hell no..

I can sympathize with individuals on hard times, its life. But to be flat out lazy with no goals they're actively working towards.User...

Why does she want you back? Because you financed her betterment at will.

I wouldn't be giving her an excuse about why you don't want her back. Lay it out, I'm looking for an equal someone who can match me intellectually and be a contributing factor in our dreams, life, financially, you don't want to work and you have no ambition to better your own life.

As far as your ex, does she know you broke it off with her to date another woman. I wouldn't be holding my breath with her wanting to see you again, There again I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time nor the last.

Dang I just noticed how OLD this post is...so much for Focus..

marathonman11x7
Msg: 411
Posted: 3/19/2007 1:36:17 PM
I find it soooooo funny that you responded to my post......from TWO YEARS AGO! AND STILL MISED THE POINT

I wrote; That illogical OPINION is part of the problem and that whole post is FULL of contradiction How would the poster know what the majoirty were?

to which you responded
I beg your pardon, Marathon......do some research. Having worked in the medical profession, you see firsthand how many folks get their ails taken care of on your tax dollar versus having their own health insurance through a legitimate job.

Now, research and logical thinking would show you that your response DOES NOT answer my question! From working in the "medical profession" surely you are NOT trying to say that this gives you an intelligent barameter to make your statement!

Again Marathon...go back and READ what I wrote. I said I TRIED to get some form of assistance. I DID NOT SAY I WANT TO GET WELFARE SO I CAN SIT HOME ON MY LAZY A$$ . I said I needed help with some of my daily living. Ten bucks an hour is hardly living the good life.

Surely you jest What do you think "welfare" is? It IS assistance! Who do you think pays/paid for YOUR assistance? Where did the money come from if YOU didn't have it? Unless you mean you applied for assistance from your immediate family It is, what it IS!

READ MY post! Now I haven't posted on THIS thread for nearly 2 YEARS!......why are you NOW bringing a "response"?
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 414
Posted: 3/20/2007 5:39:44 PM
I suppose I could ask the same of you.

Lets see if you can follow a concept logically. 1)Post were left on this thread TWO YEARS ago.......YOURS and MINE. YOU however waited TWO YEARS to respond Do you see a difference? 2)I'm responding to your CURRENT post directed to ME. 3)I came back to this thread after being away from POF for 1 year and was looking for my recent post on threads. This came up in my username search.

Perhaps you've sponged from the system yon time or two?

Obviously you've failed to have understood my many post on this thread. I've been a care GIVER that is my point of knowledge on this topic. YOU however, acknowledge that you have "sponged". You simply make ridiculous and illogical widespread ASSertations about others.

"Welfare, assistance whatever you want to call it should be available to ALL in need. Not just a select few.... "
Not just YOU

The long and short of the matter is that I simply point out the foolishness of your post.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >