Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Natscha
Msg: 37
Honesty - does it really matter?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

seems these days when your honest it just gets used against you...

But only by those whom I'd want to eliminate anyway.
 nipoleon
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Honesty - does it really matter?
Posted: 8/29/2006 10:54:57 AM
You can't cheat an honest man.
But, never give a sucker an even break.
 BlueEyes4U57
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2006 11:12:01 AM
Honesty's very important to me....if a couple can't be honest with each other, I'd say that isn't a good foundation. How you can you build a good relationship on deception?
 Wullis
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2006 8:00:11 PM
{What kind of honesty are you talking about? }

There is more than one kind????????????????

In who's world
 auntymar
Msg: 59
Posted: 10/23/2006 6:00:43 AM
Honesty and truth are the way I run my life.
If my friend asks how a particular outfit looks and I think that it doesn't suit her-- I do not see any need to hurt her feelings-- instead say that I prefer "this particular outfit or style or cut on her." Specifically-- "You know Lisa- that outfit that you wore last week when we met for lunch looked spectacular!!" Also make sure that when your friend is wearing something that does suit her-- TELL HER then and there!! She will soon start to trust your judgement.
As for the day to day stuff-- it is much much easier to live an honest life than to try and remember all the lies that compound when being deceitful. You are only as good as your word. If you break that trust by lying-- good luck getting it back.
 MsMicki
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2006 6:01:01 AM
I'm with ya on this one Intenzity...I don't know how to not be truthful.
How do u stay mysterious if someone asks you a question?
I think all my years of bartending is part of my problem...I have and will discuss...anything!
Wanna know.....ask
Don't wanna hear the truth...don't ask.
 ISORealismNOTPerfection
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/23/2006 7:37:01 AM
Honesty matters very much! I have known this from the get go in any relationship I have had, sometimes I am brutally honest. I have to admit I have made my share of mistakes, including dishonesty (recently) to someone I care for a great deal. I came clean when I felt there was a connection (a click) between he & I. I did something I should have never done to begin with, I could go on to say I was influenced by others & say I didn't think any harm would come of it, which would be the truth, but one excuse or another, I only have myself to blame for it. I realize I am the only one to blame, as no matter the reasoning behind it, I am ultimately the one who made the mistake, no one else. God has a way of teaching us a lesson when we fail to be the best we can be and I can honestly say I am paying for my mistake. I am learning my lesson
 Avocado_Peaches
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/27/2009 8:22:26 PM
Of course it does. How can we be selective about it? If You start a new relationship with selective honesty, but expect the other person to be totaly honest, then the scales tip over, putting You at disadvantage, how do You deal with that?
I perfer being honest right from the begining, then let it be, ether we except one another as we are, or we part our separate ways, no one gets hurt. This is so much better then finding out later You've been lied to and fell for it. [ Lies pop out their ugly heads sooner or later].
You'd be crushed wouldn't You? Or if You were the one not telling the truth from the begining, it is not right to purposly deceive and hurt other people, because that's how lies end up.
 GURULOUNGE
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2009 6:08:34 AM
YES;
"If you always tell the truth/ You don't have to remember anything"
'Think about it'

Doc.
 Much More
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2009 10:15:06 AM
Honesty is where it is at.

Yet, true honesty seems to be rare, especially among the internet folk. Shave a couple of years off the age, add a couple of inches to the height, say you are an average/athletic body size when you are not....it is all being dishonest. If you are so lax with things that will be easily apparent as false when we first meet, how can I possibly trust much of anything that you claim? Just how much leeway from the truth are you willing to give yourself? Can you ascertain the difference in putting a positive spin on something as opposed to just telling someone something that they would like to hear?

Oh my gosh....LOL....please spare me!

There are many versions of the truth. Just as not saying a thing can be as dishonest as stating a falsehood. Perhaps most people look the other way, that is their choice.
I think it speaks volumes about what to expect from that person in the future. No one is perfect, but lying is NOT the way to go!
 mthomjmark
Msg: 98
Posted: 3/29/2009 10:32:52 AM
OP being honest is great; the problem is it's become the in thing to be brutally honest; the brutal isn't good.

It's cool now to be brash and "tell it like it is", when in reality it's self absorbed and insensitive. The internet has created this arrogant and self absorbed mind set that everything that comes out of our mouths is important to everyone. There are times when what we say doesn't matter.

Honesty is great; but acting the fool without caring about others feelings isn't.
 Much More
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2009 6:09:42 PM
Honesty should be the root of everything but let's be kind about it.

Many claim brutal honesty when in fact the honesty is being used as a tool to hurt, abuse or just plain be mean. Good communication means knowing how to say something with tact and grace. Goodness knows that sometimes things can pop out and get taken the wrong way. LOL! It happens.
 dd3va
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2009 6:51:53 PM
Honesty is the cornerstone to a healthy relationship. If you truly care about someone or feel love for them, you should want them to know the real you. That being said, the internet as a whole has manifested a plethera of frauds and people who's only wish is to trample your good intent. Tread lightly.
 platypus_man
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2009 2:14:12 PM
We are all liars. People want complete honesty from others, while reserving the right to deceive for themselves; what is a little 'white lie' to one person is a whopper to another. No one is completely honest about everything. Especially....to themselves.
 kinski02
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2009 1:36:46 PM
I think it's huge. you can hear it in people's voices whether they are honest or not. so I can always tell when I meet someone who isn't honest in some areas of their life.
 kcihteteyr
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2009 2:47:38 PM
Honesty is the only way to go, no reason to be with someone you can't be honest to. Deceit and lies build a weak relationship.
 familygal2
Msg: 124
Posted: 4/11/2009 11:45:59 AM
I dated a guy he was a real cooter triple 6. He told me he was into true honesty. Would never lie. It turned out he was living off his 22 yr old son. Driving his sons truck hadn`t been able to hold a job for any lenghth of time. Stole fuel from work sites. Dated others while with me . Never would allow any signs around his home he was dating me. Always texting other women with me beside him. Womens clothing left at his home, make-up, sun glasses.He insisted they had to be mine or his sons girlfriends. All us gals were told we were never allowed to talk alone together if at his home his son and nephew paid for.He said he was a hunter, then I met his mother she said the mounts on the wall were from a garage sale or given to him.He said he owned a plain it turned out to be a ultralite. Said he was a mechanic and was just a back yardguy. No! certification at all.Said his fishing boat was his it turned out to be his nephews. Phonecalls came in during the night from women at a local motel he said "oh it a wrong number" the coldstream has been given a bad name with this guy.
 Vannili
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2009 10:11:05 AM
Being honest works very well for me, I got respect as a worthy person for that, I don't need to be a fool thinking and rewording the contradiction of what I said so in others words the the truth is my basic. If the truth is painful to me and to others I don't say it. I am also honest on my job,my deals ,my promises.. For I don't understimate the mentality of people that I dealt with, for sure they will know what is lie and what is the truth.
 dolcesempre
Msg: 129
Posted: 4/12/2009 11:22:14 AM
Honest is key--In any form of relationship. With your friends, lovers, parents etc!
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 130
Posted: 4/12/2009 1:16:55 PM
110% it matters. I would rather know the truth at all times then to be fed lies. Or find out about things "along the way". If people cannot handle honesty and all about me, then they do not need to be in my life. It is that simple. When things start off with a lie, there are usually more lies to follow. I will not tolorate it at all.
 Racenut17
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 11:43:03 AM
It is best to be honest in all aspects of the word. A person that is honest has integrity, trusted by others, they are usually individuals with good morals and values. A person that lies has to keep lying to cover the original lie they told. A dishonest person has no credibility or honor. One of my favorite sayings that I live by is "If you can't handle the truth, then maybe you shouldn't ask the question" ........
 Honcho
Msg: 134
Posted: 4/16/2009 5:31:53 PM
Two things men hate: A liar and a thief. "Nuff said."
 Vannili
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2009 12:07:16 PM
In the Quran it is written, " trust everyone but bring your camel into the tent at night." Rumi reminds us we must be wary of those who profess honesty because it may not be so. If a person is in denial about their behaviours then it is likely they are dishonest in their relationship." Trust but verify " is a political approach to negotiations.

I agree.----- " There are only two kinds of person that lives on this Earth, the victimizer and the victims. " If we always "trust and verify" we won't end up as a victim of a liar.
Vannili
 Need2possessu
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2009 9:12:39 AM
I have many woman that are attracted by my honesty. I periodically adjust my profile in an attempt to correct any misperceptions that arise. Since I have been on POF, I have had many woman thank me for suggesting they might be happier pursuing a relationship with someone else, just because I question their profile when it conflicts with mine. I have always felt you need to be straight forward and honest to the best of your ability. Unless your attempting to get something other than what you claim your desire to be, I think this should be a basic trait in ads.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >