Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
DroughtPage 5 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
In Hawaii when it happened not too long ago, they had to truck the water in to put in the catchment tanks for people. In Ohio, when the water levels got dangerously low, they did the same thing with the restrictions.

I found it really strange that although there was no watering of lawns allowed or washing cars in our driveways, they still did not shut down the automated car washes or swimming pools. People would run their sprinklers so their children could play in them and so the lawns still got watered.

Unless the restrictions are strictly enforced ... people just don't seem to care. Their "green" lawns appear to be more important than having enough water to drink. Really sad.
 ocrikeymikey
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Drought
Posted: 8/31/2006 3:37:29 AM
Theres a lot to be said for rainwater tanks! There was talk about a Goverment rebate on them here in WA,not sure if that ever eventuated?? My Uncle down south in WA has a huge rainwater tank catching rainwater from his machinery shed and everything (shower,washing machine,sink) in his house is rainwater.
 ocrikeymikey
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Drought
Posted: 8/31/2006 8:41:59 AM
Grey water too! The water from my washing machine goes onto my lemon tree and its never been healthier....not that Im an expert gardener,sheep do my gardening lol!!
 BiChicksRock
Msg: 13
Drought
Posted: 8/31/2006 11:58:44 AM
at work i used to buy bottled water for lunch etc....now i bring an empty bottle to work and fill it up in the lunchroom......i save money 2ways......once by not buying bottled water and again by not using my own water from home.....
 tisme_susan
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Drought
Posted: 8/31/2006 12:46:55 PM
Rain water tanks are a great idea. I can't believe the government have waited until this critical water shortage to decide to finally allow them...but then again I guess it's typical of govt not to plan for future infrastructure. I think the Qld govt should go one step further and encourage solar energy systems be installed in new homes and factories. Anything that helps the environment and us in the long term
 tisme_susan
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Drought
Posted: 10/1/2006 1:29:12 AM
Wow I didn't know it was that bad in Melbourne...Nearly on level 5 water restrictions in Brisbane I think.

My garden (if you can call it that) lol has only natives, so there doesn't seem to be a problem. The grass has just greened up because we had some rain a few days ago. Before that it was brown though and like walking on straw. I look at the bright side, don't have to mow the lawn lol

drewbydoo
Msg: 27
Drought
Posted: 11/2/2006 5:17:03 AM
is there really anything they can do about an 'el nino' i dont think so??

thats really whats causing this drought

we have to realise that we live on the driest continent on the planet and maybe some farming methods are unsustainable
 tisme_susan
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Drought
Posted: 11/2/2006 5:45:30 AM
Level 4 water restrictions started in Bris this week. They are talking about level 8...anyone know what level 8 is? I'm thinking maybe flushing the loo once a day? Shower restrictions, the mind boggles...
 sparticuss
Msg: 45
Drought
Posted: 11/7/2006 5:58:12 PM
At a cost of 1.06 billion Saudi Arabia has the largest Desalination Plant. This covers 70% of the country's present drinking water requirements and supplying major urban and industrial centres.

The new parliment house cost us about a billion.

Its still a hefty sum but not an outrageously hefty sum. We can afford it if we need it..

We can drop smaller, cheaper, less envonmentally damging dams along the smaller creeks and rivers near rain shadows like the You yangs or the Ottways. Mass production dams. The problems are diffficult but solvable.
 sparticuss
Msg: 65
Drought
Posted: 12/7/2006 3:16:57 AM
Unfortunately the rebate, on rain water tanks, is swallowed up in increased council rates in only about three years.

At the moment I've just got the diverter installed but no tank. Hose goes straight onto the lawn. So, in a light shower, I just divert directly on the lawn so it gets a double dose.

Had the washing machine hooked into the garden for over ten years now..

The limestone around Mt Gambier is a great water filter which is why the stuff's so pure.

The blue is caused by a trace amout of calcrete/limestone in the water which turns to blue when the water temperature goes up in summer.
There are actually quite a few blue lakes round the area.
 sparticuss
Msg: 71
Drought
Posted: 12/15/2006 1:47:29 AM
Forget about a few piddly suburban lawns.

If you really want to see megalites of water wasted on keeping judge lawns green then just visit any horse track.

It's a double standard just about everywhere. New dams are bieng proposed in creks which just don't have the catchment volume to justify them but no effort is being made to replace irrigation channels with pipes. Channels lose up to 805 of thier water to evaporation without it ever reaching the crops.

Forget the cotton. Majiuiana makes for better clothing than cotton anyway and used less than half the water. It needs investment in infasturcture to make the change but mostly it just need a good dope mill. At the moment local dope harvests are sent to mills overseas to turn them into fabric.
 sparticuss
Msg: 72
Drought
Posted: 12/15/2006 1:49:15 AM
GG... how often do ya water ya veggie garden.... just curious coz when at mums we had a veggie patch and only watered it when first planted and still got plenty of produce...
===========================================
Mines hooked up to the washing machine outlet.

And believe me that is more than enough.
 sparticuss
Msg: 74
Drought
Posted: 12/15/2006 5:15:59 AM
If youve already given the dirt the once over there's not much more you can do.

the soil heres so full of clay you can big down a foot, shove a bit of water in the hole, dige out a spade full of it, and turn in on a potters wheel.

And I'm not exagerrating. It's pottery standard clay down there.
 sparticuss
Msg: 77
Drought
Posted: 12/21/2006 11:53:13 PM
Some serious storm clouds over Melbourne .

Lets hope it's not a dry storm but a "real storm" with rain.

What a twilight.. has this eeeeerriee feel in the air, but wow does it look fanastic.. dark storm clouds, huges of light pink/purple with those dark grey clouds and lightening flashes just to top it off..

Awesome !

Yea and theres ging to be anothe five minite bucket ing in a few mintes. Bring in the laundry. It's real heavy
 mccellia
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Drought
Posted: 1/2/2007 5:42:03 AM
Have a look at Cubbie Station on Google Earth - its huge and it's ponds are incredible...
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  >